What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

All Android/Google All the Time (2 Viewers)

Has anyone actually used one of these?....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQxQb-0sOBY

.... I'm starting to see more reviews of these and think that they are a GREAT idea. Now that mobile devices are getting AnTuTu scores in the ~500+ range it makes all the sense in the world to pay for a single, powerful, mobile device that runs all the (relatively) cheap screens in your life. One of the great things about this thing is the entire body under the keyboard can just be battery and I love the fact you can charge your mobile device while using it. I am leaning toward purchasing an ipad pro and using these two devices together would be a pretty powerful dual screen setup that was very mobile.

They need this type of setup on all televisions as well. I have ZERO interest in a $20 roku dongle built into my next television. I would much, much rather just have a holster port where I could quick charge my phone on the back of the television and use the processing power of my phone to turn my television into a large screen 8k resolution computer. Television companies need to convince people to go out and upgrade their perfectly good televisions and this would be a convincing argument to me.

Where are we at phone cycle wise?

My 2 year old Pixel 2 is having some minor issues, mostly annoyances, but I'm thinking about upgrading. I would go with a Pixel 4 XL except that from what I've read a lot of people have had bad experiences with the 4?

What should I be looking at based on where we are in the cycles? Never been a Samsung fan. Battery, processing speed for normal day to day apps, and camera all important to me.

Where are we at phone cycle wise?

My 2 year old Pixel 2 is having some minor issues, mostly annoyances, but I'm thinking about upgrading. I would go with a Pixel 4 XL except that from what I've read a lot of people have had bad experiences with the 4?

What should I be looking at based on where we are in the cycles? Never been a Samsung fan. Battery, processing speed for normal day to day apps, and camera all important to me.
From a value standpoint I think the Pixel a models are the way to go.  It's a half a year behind the full version, and they don't take shortcuts on things that would impact the majority of users.  I'm sure the 3a, which I highly recommend, is pretty cheap now.  The 4a drops soon.

https://www.pocket-lint.com/phones/news/google/150519-google-pixel-4a-release-date-rumours-specs-details

Last edited by a moderator:
From a value standpoint I think the Pixel a models are the way to go.  It's a half a year behind the full version, and they don't take shortcuts on things that would impact the majority of users.  I'm sure the 3a, which I highly recommend, is pretty cheap now.  The 4a drops soon.

https://www.pocket-lint.com/phones/news/google/150519-google-pixel-4a-release-date-rumours-specs-details
As of last week the 3a was on sale for $50 off and included a $100 gift card to Best Buy (B&H photo had a similar deal).  4a is rumored to be announced soon with late May availability. 

As of last week the 3a was on sale for $50 off and included a $100 gift card to Best Buy (B&H photo had a similar deal).  4a is rumored to be announced soon with late May availability. 
I'm a guy that has paid top dollar for a phone, and  would if there wasn't a comparable option.  It's like half the price of the regular one and does everything most users would need it for comparably.  Too good of a value to sleep on imo.  Google lost money with me coming out with this thing.  

The best thing about Pixel's "a" series, is that they have the same camera as the full flagship versions. And to a lot of people, that's the main feature of their phone.

I'm really looking forward to under-the-screen cameras. We can finally be rid of hole punches and notches. And I'm not really that much of screen:body ratio geek. It'll just be so nice to have.

Flip Z has my eye.
Same.

- Really wish it had ruggedized corners on the device(since you really won't be able to use a case).

- Also wish it had an e-ink(kindle) display on one half of the outside when folded so you could glance at your phone to read a text or email heading without actually opening the phone. I find that to be an incredibly useful feature with smartwatches.

They may seem like minor gripes but at that price point they should think of everything. Especially since they don't really pack the device with bleeding edge hardware. 

Has anyone actually used one of these?....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQxQb-0sOBY

.... I'm starting to see more reviews of these and think that they are a GREAT idea. Now that mobile devices are getting AnTuTu scores in the ~500+ range it makes all the sense in the world to pay for a single, powerful, mobile device that runs all the (relatively) cheap screens in your life. One of the great things about this thing is the entire body under the keyboard can just be battery and I love the fact you can charge your mobile device while using it. I am leaning toward purchasing an ipad pro and using these two devices together would be a pretty powerful dual screen setup that was very mobile.

They need this type of setup on all televisions as well. I have ZERO interest in a $20 roku dongle built into my next television. I would much, much rather just have a holster port where I could quick charge my phone on the back of the television and use the processing power of my phone to turn my television into a large screen 8k resolution computer. Television companies need to convince people to go out and upgrade their perfectly good televisions and this would be a convincing argument to me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNCuEYF5uKk

Still very impressed with this, although I hate all the glare on that screen.

Needs to be under $200 and have enough juice to recharge my phone twice, but when that happens I think the chromebook just died. For that matter all low end laptops in general. Makes a ton of sense for families, school/library settings, etc.

Grabbed the Samsung S20 last week.  So far so good.  My family is mocking me as it is new tech and I usually wait until the bitter end or buy last years tech.  Cheaper this year to lease the S20.

Xiaomi filed a patent application for an under the screen camera. Finally.

This was teased at a tech show last year, but hopefully we'll see this in production for consumers soon. I probably won't be getting a Xiaomi, but there will be plenty of copy cats that will make this feature more common.

Xiaomi filed a patent application for an under the screen camera. Finally.

This was teased at a tech show last year, but hopefully we'll see this in production for consumers soon. I probably won't be getting a Xiaomi, but there will be plenty of copy cats that will make this feature more common.
So we can finally quit hearing the term "notchless"?

They have had "teardrop" notches for years now. <shrug> They take up so little screen real estate, and usually just a tiny percentage of the notification bar, anyway I don't understand why this "innovation" is so sought after. But I also don't understand why so many people think having the thumb security under the screen is so much better than simply having it on the back of the device. Neither of these will factor into any phone I buy in the future.

Now when they have a tri-fold phone that is more thin than the Samsung Fold 2.... then I'll be listening. A true tablet experience that I can fold and carry around in my pocket is very compelling for me. Probably won't buy the overpriced Samsung version of whatever that is but Xiaomi, One Plus, Umidigi, et all...... my credit card is waiting to pull the trigger on that device. 

They have had "teardrop" notches for years now. <shrug> They take up so little screen real estate, and usually just a tiny percentage of the notification bar, anyway I don't understand why this "innovation" is so sought after. But I also don't understand why so many people think having the thumb security under the screen is so much better than simply having it on the back of the device. Neither of these will factor into any phone I buy in the future.

Now when they have a tri-fold phone that is more thin than the Samsung Fold 2.... then I'll be listening. A true tablet experience that I can fold and carry around in my pocket is very compelling for me. Probably won't buy the overpriced Samsung version of whatever that is but Xiaomi, One Plus, Umidigi, et all...... my credit card is waiting to pull the trigger on that device. 
I prefer the teardrop to the ugly hole punch and ridiculous pill shaped cutout (who told the flagship companies that these were improvements?). As someone that rarely uses the selfie camera and face ID unlock, I was also willing to go with a motorized pop-up camera route.
Yeah, the fingerprint reader doesn't move the needle for me either. Front, back, side... it's not a selling point. I just want it to be accurate and fast.

I need a recommendation on a new Android phone. I typically want to use a phone at least 3 years (crazy, I know ...)  I am more interested in call quality, reliability, ease of use, than camera, screen, etc.  I am looking at the Pixel 4 and  the Galaxy S10 phones.  I'm not going to be watching video on this thing (maybe rarely) - is there any reason to jump into the 5G? 

Consumer Reports is kind of down on the Pixels, but most everyone else is high on them. 

TIA FBG android dudes

I need a recommendation on a new Android phone. I typically want to use a phone at least 3 years (crazy, I know ...)  I am more interested in call quality, reliability, ease of use, than camera, screen, etc.  I am looking at the Pixel 4 and  the Galaxy S10 phones.  I'm not going to be watching video on this thing (maybe rarely) - is there any reason to jump into the 5G? 

Consumer Reports is kind of down on the Pixels, but most everyone else is high on them. 

TIA FBG android dudes
I had an og pixel and only switched when my battery died.  I got a 3xl and my daughter has a 3a

I like them :shrug:

is there any reason to jump into the 5G? 
Depends on your market, but I would say "NO". It sounds like you won't be streaming at 4k anyway.

If the camera isn't a huge concern then I wouldn't consider a Pixel or a Samsung.

I am firmly in the camp it's best to buy a $100-$150 phone with the latest most secure operating system every year instead of EVER paying upwards of $500 for a phone(even if the plan was to hold onto it for several years). 

Who is your current carrier? Or a list of carriers that you would consider using. 

Depends on your market, but I would say "NO". It sounds like you won't be streaming at 4k anyway.

If the camera isn't a huge concern then I wouldn't consider a Pixel or a Samsung.

I am firmly in the camp it's best to buy a $100-$150 phone with the latest most secure operating system every year instead of EVER paying upwards of $500 for a phone(even if the plan was to hold onto it for several years). 

Who is your current carrier? Or a list of carriers that you would consider using. 
The 4a is going to be 350.... Totally worth it imo

You might get a 3a cheaper soon

We are using Google Fi and it works fine for us.  The problem is that my teenage son is deadset on needing an iphone.  US Cellular is running a special in which we can switch and get a new phone credit if we do a 30 month plan.  I don't mind that, since US Cellular has great service in our area.  The monthly cost for an unlimited plan would be about the same as Fi.  They have an incentive now that gives a $23 credit per month per line on a new phone for 30 months.  That gives him a "free" iPhone 11, which is what he wants.  The Pixel 4 would be $3 per month and the Galaxy S10 would be $1.65 per month. 

https://www.uscellular.com/devicelist?flow=device&catId=11476998_11477168

That gives him a "free" iPhone 11, which is what he wants. 
Well, I don't have a teenage son but if I did the life lesson of "free" anything may be more important than whatever phone you end up using. 

Back to Android phones, US Cellular is compatible with most phones as you just need B2, B4, B5, and B12 frequencies to have them all covered. I have owned this phone for well over a year and would normally have replaced it with something by now but I have liked it quite a lot.....

https://www.banggood.com/UMIDIGI-F1-Global-Bands-6_3-inch-FHD+-NFC-5150mAh-Android-9_0-16MP-Front-Camera-4GB-128GB-Helio-P60-4G-Smartphone-p-1409956.html?aff_key=7c6b096d-991b-11ea-baef-0670141e6114&utm_campaign=Kimo30&utm_content=Isabela&p=QV2409786796201409DB&ID=62878426246444&cur_warehouse=HK

.... it's listed for $120 but looks like if you haven't ordered from Bangood before you might get an extra $20 off making it a screaming deal. 

If I were to purchase a phone today it would probably be this one though.....

https://www.banggood.com/UMIDIGI-Power-3-Global-Bands-6_53-inch-FHD+-Android-10-6150mAh-NFC-48MP-AI-Quad-Cameras-4GB-64GB-Helio-P60-4G-Smartphone-p-1610663.html?aff_key=0aae3b55-991c-11ea-baef-0670141e6114&utm_campaign=Kimo30&utm_content=Isabela&p=QV2409786796201409DB&ID=62878426246445&cur_warehouse=HK

... listed at $150(but again $20 off for first timer). The GPS accuracy(GLONASS, Beidou, and Galileo) is a big factor to me, the battery life is better and screen is bigger, and the processor is better BUT it's also bigger and heavier. Maybe most importantly it's Android 10 OS as opposed to Android 9 on the phone I already own.

Those would just be my top choices at the moment. If you are uncomfortable with the build quality of a 2nd tier Chinese phone(I love my UmiDIGI but maybe I've just been lucky) you might spend a little more than I would and get something like this....

https://www.banggood.com/Xiaomi-Redmi-Note-8-Pro-Global-Version-6_53-inch-64MP-Quad-Rear-Camera-6GB-128GB-NFC-4500mAh-Helio-G90T-Octa-Core-4G-Smartphone-p-1569415.html?aff_key=d1be4035-991d-11ea-baef-0670141e6114&utm_campaign=Kimo30&utm_content=Isabela&p=QV2409786796201409DB&ID=46691&cur_warehouse=HK

.... imo the build quality of a Xiaomi is as good as Samsung/Pixel, but the OS on that one is Android 9.

I had an og pixel and only switched when my battery died.  I got a 3xl and my daughter has a 3a

I like them :shrug:

TIA FBG android dudes
Wife and I have pixel 3xl, sons have pixel 3s and have very good luck.  Coworkers have the pixel 4 and have had problems with them and I have read some issues with different things in the pixel 4.  We are a google family so will probably be staying with the 3s until we absolutely have to change and hopefully by then there is something different.

I'd also recommend the Pixel 4a. If you don't need top end processing power, that $350 price will be hard to beat.

I've been in the market for a mid-range (~$500) flagship killer. I'd love to pull the trigger on a Realme X2pro, Redmi K30pro, or X50. But I don't ever know of the device will come without Google Play and/or a US charger cuz the sellers on AliExpress don't communicate properly. So I'm pretty sure I'm picking up a OnePlus 7T 8/256gb as soon it drops towards $500.

I'd like to have a Snapdragon 865, but don't need 5G. I'll miss the headphone jack and wireless charging though.

I've been in the market for a mid-range (~$500) flagship killer. I'd love to pull the trigger on a Realme X2pro, Redmi K30pro, or X50. But I don't ever know of the device will come without Google Play and/or a US charger cuz the sellers on AliExpress don't communicate properly. So I'm pretty sure I'm picking up a OnePlus 7T 8/256gb as soon it drops towards $500.

I'd like to have a Snapdragon 865, but don't need 5G. I'll miss the headphone jack and wireless charging though.
They also reported that a pixel 5 should be coming in the fall with best in class camera.  Probably $700.  The 4a May or June

https://www.tomsguide.com/news/google-pixel-5-price-just-leaked-and-its-very-bad-news-for-the-galaxy-s20

For those of you that have a device with 90-120hz screen refresh rate, do you notice a difference in smoothness? I just got a One+7T with 90 Hertz, and it doesn't look that much better than a standard 60hz display. 

It's nice, but not as big a deal as a lot of the reviewers make it out to be. I might switch down to 60 just to save battery.

Thinking of getting one of those.  How's it been treating you? 

I'm still using an original Nexus 6.  5 years...  I'm well past due for a new phone.
Missed this earlier.

I love the Note 10 plus.  First phone I've had with a stylus; like, don't love.  It wont be a factor for future phone purchases. Truly, this phone is more than I need, or even want.  Would buy again for $800; would not buy for full $1200 or so.

Jay Bird earbuds are really nice.  I bought a pair for $150, but it looks like they are back p to $180.

The battery is great.

KiddLattimer said:
The new Pixel 4A looks like an amazing deal for $349

https://www.androidcentral.com/google-pixel-4a-review
I dunno. I'd still take the Redmi Note 8 Pro at 2/3rd the price.

The two things the 4a has going for it is all the bands of 4G and the Bluetooth 5.1 instead of 5.0 because I use Bluetooth every day. It also has "QZSS" gps... but I'm not sure useful that is. Generally I just look for GLONASS/Beidou/Galileo and both have all three of those. I guess the killer app is the OS being updated frequently, but with a pristine battery only having 3140mAh I would worry that the battery would fall below 3000 so soon from normal daily use that I'd be looking to replace it before that was a huge benefit. But battery life is a huge deal for me.

If the 4a had wireless charging, I'd be all over it.  I have been using Nexus/Pixel phones for quite some time now, because I just want stock Android and timely updates.

It sounds like the Pixel 5 is targeted to a non-flagship price point (and will almost certainly have wireless charging).  Also I hear it's going to ditch facial unlock and go back to a fingerprint reader.  It's like they read my mind.  Barring some huge gaffe, I'm in for that.

I dunno. I'd still take the Redmi Note 8 Pro at 2/3rd the price.

The two things the 4a has going for it is all the bands of 4G and the Bluetooth 5.1 instead of 5.0 because I use Bluetooth every day. It also has "QZSS" gps... but I'm not sure useful that is. Generally I just look for GLONASS/Beidou/Galileo and both have all three of those. I guess the killer app is the OS being updated frequently, but with a pristine battery only having 3140mAh I would worry that the battery would fall below 3000 so soon from normal daily use that I'd be looking to replace it before that was a huge benefit. But battery life is a huge deal for me.
Pixels typically have had a smaller battery.  I've had the OG XL and now a 3XL and have never had much of a battery issue. My OG made it 2 years or so into it after normal wear and tear and my own poor charging habits but i could still get through the day.  My 3XL is still running great.  From everything I've read, since the OS is so lean and doesn't have any bloatware they can efficiently "skimp" on battery size even if that makes spec people flip out

Pixels typically have had a smaller battery.  I've had the OG XL and now a 3XL and have never had much of a battery issue. My OG made it 2 years or so into it after normal wear and tear and my own poor charging habits but i could still get through the day.  My 3XL is still running great.  From everything I've read, since the OS is so lean and doesn't have any bloatware they can efficiently "skimp" on battery size even if that makes spec people flip out
I love my phone, but I have not been happy with my 3XL battery at all. My wife has a 3a and hers is so much better. I imagine the 4a with a less battery hungry processor will probably have decent battery life. I would have definitely considered a 4a down the road if it had wireless charging as someone mentioned earlier. It is so nice to just be able to set your phone down on your bedside and have it charge overnight as opposed to fiddling with cords.

My OG pixel did have battery issues but after about 2.5 years.   It would only get about 3-4 hours on a charge.  But I agree with you.  Love them.   The funny part, the only reason I ended up with a pixel was after the note 7 explosion issues lol

My Huawei Mate is still going great after 2.5 years. If it dies, I'm liking the Pixel 4a.  I was worried about the storage since it has no microSD, but 128GB is fine for me.  64GB would be pushing things between videos, Spotify and podcasts. 

I'm still rocking my Pixel 2 as my work phone, but the battery is starting to show its age. Working from home makes that less of an issue. I have a 3aXL and still get about 2 days from the battery as long as I'm not going crazy with videos or games.

It sounds like the Pixel 5 is targeted to a non-flagship price point (and will almost certainly have wireless charging).  Also I hear it's going to ditch facial unlock and go back to a fingerprint reader.  It's like they read my mind.  Barring some huge gaffe, I'm in for that.
interest: piqued 

but with a pristine battery only having 3140mAh I would worry that the battery would fall below 3000 so soon from normal daily use that I'd be looking to replace it before that was a huge benefit. But battery life is a huge deal for me.
Seems like the smaller and weaker screen would offset the battery size, no?

Oh, BTW, where are you getting the Redmi from? I tried to get my hands on a K30 Pro a while back and couldn't find a reputable retailer to ship to the U.S. with the correct charger.

Seems like the smaller and weaker screen would offset the battery size, no?

Oh, BTW, where are you getting the Redmi from? I tried to get my hands on a K30 Pro a while back and couldn't find a reputable retailer to ship to the U.S. with the correct charger.
I have always had good luck with Bangood.com so I would purchase from them even when they aren't always the cheapest option.....

https://www.banggood.com/Xiaomi-Redmi-Note-8-Pro-Global-Version-6_53-inch-64MP-Quad-Rear-Camera-6GB-128GB-NFC-4500mAh-Helio-G90T-Octa-Core-4G-Smartphone-p-1569415.html?aff_key=5d5df49e-d83c-11ea-b224-0670141e6114&utm_campaign=Kimo30&utm_content=Isabela&p=QV2409786796201409DB&DCC=US&currency=USD&ID=46691&cur_warehouse=HK

We've had this same conversation about chargers before. Meh, at less than $9 for an 18W charger from a name manufacturer with 4.7 star review on Amazon I don't sweat the charger......

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0841VDSHF/ref=dp_prsubs_3

IMO that's a better charger than the generic freebie in a box. That's assuming you don't already have several chargers sitting around your house from other devices.

To me $209(phone)+$9(if you need a charger)=$218 just makes it a much better deal. Redmi is a Xiaomi product and they are high end my book. I've never owned a Xiaomi phone that didn't have a very high level of fit/finish/reliability. I've owned several second(third?) tier phones in the past but the Xiaomi phones I have owned are right up there with the big boys(Huawei/Samsung/iPhone) in terms of hardware quality. I've never owned one of the Redmi Note line though.

On the 3a, which I love.  But for $350 I'm highly considering getting the 4a, but then I read a 5g version may be available soon after.  Also, $350 is great, but past years had some kind of pre-order bonus.  I'm not aware of anything this launch.  What's up with the 5g, is it going to be worth waiting for?  Or should I go watch some conspiracy videos and steer clear?

Users who are viewing this thread