Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Buddy Ball 2K3

All Android/Google All the Time

got our 3As last night. 

the transferring couldn't have been easier... except... 2 seconds after trying to transfer, my pixel shuts down. lasted long enough to initiate, and it's mind finish the transfer... so I got my google contacts/info and that was it. 

went to the verizon store at lunch- and took an hour to transfer stuff. most of that time spent trying to convince the guy that my phone would keep shutting off. but it's done and it's nice to ahve a phone that doesn't shut off if I look at it wrong- whoops... the old one just shut off hearing me type that out.

will take getting used to the different longer proportions- feels less one-handsy than the pixel 1 after 5 minutes of use... but I'm sure I'll get used to it.

I think the wife ordered the only phone cover for it for now...

17 minutes ago, Jaysus said:

what did you need to transfer that was not already in the cloud?

:oldunsure:

texts, mostly.

those are in the cloud? what about my #### pics?

https://www.phonearena.com/news/Asus-ZenFone-6-features-specs-price_id116090

Interesting as this still has a motorized camera but no curved screen, so yay. New contender to fill the space that Oneplus used to occupy?  Stock Android and quality specs. Sounds like a winner.

Only downside for me is lcd screen and rear mounted fingerprint sensor.

Edited by dorno

3 hours ago, El Floppo said:

went to the verizon store at lunch- and took an hour to transfer stuff. most of that time spent trying to convince the guy that my phone would keep shutting off. but it's done and it's nice to ahve a phone that doesn't shut off if I look at it wrong- whoops... the old one just shut off hearing me type that out.

for some reason this just popped into my brain. something about a technology being tempermental for you.

11 hours ago, Jaysus said:

The fact that it's an Asus should be the biggest downside.

It's almost stock Android. There haven't been any long term tests/reviews yet but it's checking a lot of boxes so far.

12 hours ago, dorno said:

https://www.phonearena.com/news/Asus-ZenFone-6-features-specs-price_id116090

Interesting as this still has a motorized camera but no curved screen, so yay. New contender to fill the space that Oneplus used to occupy?  Stock Android and quality specs. Sounds like a winner.

Only downside for me is lcd screen and rear mounted fingerprint sensor.

At that price, I can see it being a winner for a lot of people that want a top level front facing camera. I don't use my screens on full brightness anyway so not having AMOLED isn't a deal breaker. A regular lcd would only further help it's giant battery.

I'm not sold on a moving parts yet, so I'm not in the market for this Zenphone 6 or the oneplus7. But an IP rating, which neither have, would alleviate my concerns quite a bit.

13 hours ago, leftcoastguy7 said:

Anybody got teenagers in the house on Android?

Any parental control apps you would recommend?

Look up Google Family Link. It allows you to approve or shut down apps on the fly, can limit screen time, set times at night where it is just shut off, and I'm sure will further develop.

Someone on my team also said he uses an app called Bark that (I think) scans emails/texts for key words/phrases that you might want to be alerted to. Explanation found here.  He was happy with it for his kids.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Polish Hammer said:

Look up Google Family Link. It allows you to approve or shut down apps on the fly, can limit screen time, set times at night where it is just shut off, and I'm sure will further develop.

Someone on my team also said he uses an app called Bark that (I think) scans emails/texts for key words/phrases that you might want to be alerted to. Explanation found here.  He was happy with it for his kids.

we use Family Link for our 11yo- wife has the controls. so far so good.

:blackdot: for Bark... will look into that one as he moves through puberty (happening now). 

3 hours ago, Polish Hammer said:

I don't think family link works over 13... well it does as long as the kid does not "opt out"

19 hours ago, Punxsutawney Phil said:

The pixel 4 rumors are making me more satisfied with the 3a.  Fingerprint sensor in front under glass.  I love the back location.

I'm with you, I love the location of the fingerprint reader on my pixel 3... no real interest in paying more for in display and/or face ID

• Like 1

Verizon has the 3a at a very appealing price (12.5 a month), but no wireless charging or SD card is a tough pill to swallow.  Looks like I'm going to run my S7 into the ground.

1 hour ago, Slapdash said:

Verizon has the 3a at a very appealing price (12.5 a month), but no wireless charging or SD card is a tough pill to swallow.  Looks like I'm going to run my S7 into the ground.

What is the appeal for financing a phone?

3a seems fine so far. It works. Which I couldn't really say about my pixel 1.

Haven't tried to do any hot-rodding though. Just email, internet and a couple simple apps.

On 5/18/2019 at 4:29 PM, Slapdash said:

Yeah, any phone with no SD card is a no go on principle alone. It costs next to nothing to include and adds no size to the phone so the only reason NOT to include it is so that you will break down and buy a phone with more storage eventually.

I also agree that once you go wireless charging it's hard to go back, although for some people the fast charging is more useful. I used to swear I would never buy a phone with a non replaceable battery but so few of the phones with great battery life were replaceable I had to give up on that.

9 minutes ago, EYLive said:

What do you guys put on your SD cards? Movies and TV shows?

For me its books, podcasts I want to keep long term(like hardcore history), and video like you mentioned. If I only used my phone where 4g is consistently great maybe I could stream some of that but there are a lot of dead spots where I live. Plus, I fly often.

13 minutes ago, EYLive said:

For me its books, podcasts I want to keep long term(like hardcore history), and video like you mentioned. If I only used my phone where 4g is consistently great maybe I could stream some of that but there are a lot of dead spots where I live. Plus, I fly often.

28 minutes ago, EYLive said:

I used to put all my music, movies, pics on sd card.

But that was before I had cloud service and such. I still download a bunch of music to have offline if need be.  i used to get a small phone but larger memory card.   Now I don't have an sd card