What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR A.J. Green, ARZ (3 Viewers)

More importantly... that Green leaves in 2020. 
The word back around the trade deadline was that he didn't get traded because the Bengals are planning to extend him and he wants to be there.  I don't know how much truth there was to that.  I also don't know if he is really fully healthy. 

Mixon, Bernard, Green, Boyd, Ross, Eifert - A QB with a decent line could do some real damage with those weapons

Rotoworld:

A.J. Green (ankle) is out for Week 14 against the Browns.

Coach Zac Taylor continues to maintain hope that Green will play this season, but it's becoming more and more pointless by the week for him to actually step on the field. Green has four weeks left in his Bengals tenure before he'll be eligible for free agency.

SOURCE: Jay Morrison on Twitter

Dec 4, 2019, 12:44 PM ET

Rotoworld:

A.J. Green (ankle) is out for Week 14 against the Browns.

Coach Zac Taylor continues to maintain hope that Green will play this season, but it's becoming more and more pointless by the week for him to actually step on the field. Green has four weeks left in his Bengals tenure before he'll be eligible for free agency.

SOURCE: Jay Morrison on Twitter

Dec 4, 2019, 12:44 PM ET
Interesting... so I guess we just learned that Zac Taylor follows the Shark Pool.

I drafted Green in the 7th, expecting he would be miss a month or so, alas, not to be.

I ask this question, I wonder if there has ever been an instance where a (non-holdout) player was:

1) Not on the practice squad

2) Inactive for every game

3) Never went on IR

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports A.J. Green (ankle) has not been ruled out for Weeks 16-17.

Green has looked good in practice the past two weeks and reportedly "wants" to return for the team's final two games. With Green headed for free agency after 2019, this could be the last we see of him in a Bengals uniform. It would be a fitting sendoff for Green, though it's uncertain how much he'd play coming off what has been a lengthy absence. That makes him a risky fantasy bet.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Dec 15, 2019, 10:42 AM ET

Speaking Tuesday, A.J. Green (hamstring) confirmed he is unlikely to suit up in Week 16 or 17.

Green is a pending free agent, and the Bengals have been out of the playoff hunt for many weeks. Neither side was going to gain much from his return. Cincinnati could opt to franchise tag Green before he hits the open market this spring, or they could let the veteran test free agency. "I have no problem with the franchise (tag)," Green said Tuesday, before confirming that he would play should the Bengals go that route. The 31-year-old veteran didn't take the field this year but posted 694 yards and six scores through nine games in 2018. With a full season to get healthy, Green is in line for a major payday, possibly from a contending team looking to make a push in 2020. Considering his recent injury history, however, Green could have trouble getting much guaranteed money beyond next season.

Dec 17, 2019, 4:56 PM ET

This guy either 1) took a team that has treated him extremely well for a BS ride for 3 months or 2) is extraordinarily brittle.

His ankle swelled up two months ago.

Held this guy all damn year because I can keep him with a 10th next year. Probably sign with Jax and go 17-190-0 before hurting himself again.
This is what I am betting.. With his age and this injury with the absence, I have a hard time believing he is going to be a WR1 anytime soon.

With his age and this injury with the absence, I have a hard time believing he is going to be a WR1 anytime soon.
Really?  Seems like a no brainer for Green to be rostered at this point in the season in keeper/dynasty leagues.  It's basically a free square to see if he signs with a different team next year and then you could decide if he's worth keeping at that point.

Really?  Seems like a no brainer for Green to be rostered at this point in the season in keeper/dynasty leagues.  It's basically a free square to see if he signs with a different team next year and then you could decide if he's worth keeping at that point.
One really big problem. WRs that change teams have a horrendous track record and this guy is 31 with major injury history.

Green going on injured reserve. Why they are making the move now is beyond me.
Lol, because they are the BENGALS!  That's why.  I was stupid enough to draft him having forgotten this fact.  I assumed that since he wasn't IR'd that the professionals knew he'd be back by week 6 or so.  I forgot that the professionals that I was relying on are employed BY THE BENGALS!

Rotoworld take:

Bengals placed WR A.J. Green (ankle) on injured reserve.

Green was kept on the active roster for 16 of 17 weeks and didn't record a single snap. From failing to gauge the trade market to assuming he'd play without an extension in-hand mid-season, the organization obviously could not have handled this situation any worse. Green said last week that he would have "no problem" signing a franchise tag but would prefer a "longer commitment" from the team if he's staying in Cincinnati. Even if he struggles with the guaranteed money in his contract long-term beyond 2020, the 31-year-old free-agent-to-be is obviously in store for a huge payday down the road. The Bengals will close the year with Tyler Boyd, Alex Erickson, and John Ross in three-wide sets.

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Dec 23, 2019, 1:05 PM ET

in my redraft keeper he's a 5th round cost... will be interesting to see where he lands and what his ADP will be in 2020

Speaking to reporters Monday, impending free agent A.J. Green remained hopeful of reaching a long-term deal with Cincinnati.

Green didn't appear in any games this year while recovering from offseason ankle surgery. It would be understandable if Green opted for a change of scenery with Cincinnati in the beginning stages of what figures to be a lengthy rebuild, though the 31-year-old insists he'd rather be a Bengal. "If something should get done, then I'm here. I want to be here," said the seven-time Pro Bowler. "I think they want me here. We'll see what happens." Despite an injury-plagued last two seasons, Green is adamant he can still play at a high level. Though Green would undoubtedly prefer the security of a long-term deal, he wouldn't fight it if the Bengals assigned him the franchise tag this offseason.

SOURCE: Joe Danneman on Twitter

Dec 30, 2019, 11:55 AM ET

Bengals' offseason priorities: Futures of A.J. Green and Joe Mixon, QB picture

Excerpt:

The dilemma surrounding Green, one of the NFL's best wide receivers since he was drafted in 2011, started before he suffered an ankle injury during the first preseason practice that kept him out for the entire season. The seven-time Pro Bowler didn't play a single snap in the final year of his four-year, $60 million deal.

And for the second consecutive offseason, there are questions regarding Green's long-term future in Cincinnati. The likely outcome is for the Bengals to use the franchise tag on Green, paying him around $17 million for the 2020 season. He has said he will begrudgingly accept playing on the tag. But that's a short-term solution that doesn't answer a major question.

At some point, the Bengals have to decide if Green is worth a long-term commitment, one that likely won’t be cheap.

Green will be 33 when the 2021 season begins. Since 2010, just five wide receivers had 1,000-yard seasons at that age, according to ESPN Stats & Information research: Reggie Wayne (2012), Steve Smith (2012, 2014), Anquan Boldin (2014), Larry Fitzgerald(2016, 2017) and Julian Edelman(2019).

Fitzgerald, a fair comparison to Green, received a two-year deal for $22 million in 2015. Fitzgerald, a future Hall of Famer, was 33 at the end of that deal.

His ADP's gonna be all over the place for 2020.  I had him rostered last year, and finally gave in and dropped him around week 9 IIRC.  Will I shy away this year?  Nope

His ADP's gonna be all over the place for 2020.  I had him rostered last year, and finally gave in and dropped him around week 9 IIRC.  Will I shy away this year?  Nope
I'm not going to shy away but he is a player that I will try to get on the cheap.  Like you said, he will be drafted in extreme varying spots in different leagues.  I'll probably only land him in a quarter of my leagues but that is probably a good thing since he does present a lot of risk.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bengals coach Zac Taylor said re-signing A.J. Green is "definitely" a priority.

Taylor added that there will "have" to be contract negotiations this spring. 32 in July, Green has appeared in just nine games the past two years due to a lingering toe injury and offseason ankle surgery. He previously stated he wants to remain in Cincinnati as long as the two sides can come to an agreement, but the franchise tag is obviously in the cards as a fallback plan. Green's in store for a hefty payday even if he's unable to secure a reasonable guaranteed amount beyond 2020.

SOURCE: Roster Watch on Twitter

Jan 21, 2020, 12:39 PM ET

Impending free agent A.J. Green implied he'd prefer to avoid the franchise tag.

"A franchise tag is not the best thing," Green conceded, though the seven-time Pro Bowler also added he's not in a position to turn down $18 million. "I love the city of Cincinnati. I love the team," Green continued. "I always wanted to be here my whole career and I feel like we have the pieces if I were to stay healthy." The 31-year-old never got on the field in 2019, missing all 16 games following offseason ankle surgery. There seems to be mutual interest in reaching a long-term deal, though if talks stall, the Bengals could buy themselves more time by assigning Green the franchise tag, even if it's not his preference.

SOURCE: Elise Jesse on Twitter

Jan 23, 2020, 1:46 PM ET

I don't like that he said 'if I can stay healthy'....that's a huge red flag to me.
i personally think he only sat out the second half of the season so they could get 1.1 and he could get healthy and stay healthy for his contract year.  So I'm concerned about the injury history, but not about his current health. 

i personally think he only sat out the second half of the season so they could get 1.1 and he could get healthy and stay healthy for his contract year.  So I'm concerned about the injury history, but not about his current health. 
Green would not sit out the season in a contract year just to let Cincy get the 1.01. I think he sat out because the team was a trainwreck and he was worried about getting out their at less than 100% and sucking

Green would not sit out the season in a contract year just to let Cincy get the 1.01. I think he sat out because the team was a trainwreck and he was worried about getting out their at less than 100% and sucking
Right totally agree.  Im just saying the team would have been howling except they were chasing 1.1. So both sides agreed that it would be best just to let him get healthy and deal with next year next year.  

I think AJG has been healthy enough to play since around mid-season. I don't think his decision to not play was in the least bit a mutual decision between him and the team, it was all him.

My guess is at first he was not in a hurry to come back until the trade deadline was over. Don't think he wanted to be traded, did not care to show the rest of the league he was healthy. After the trade deadline they sit Dalton and I think at that point he just figured he'd just string the team on all year and just go ahead and get out of the year healthy.

I thought what he did was pretty sorry. I recall at least one Bengal beat writer calling him out and saying the team needed to move on from his charades but by and large he was not nearly ripped apart in the national or local media like I think he deserved to be, like I think a lot of other players would have been.

But for fantasy purposes  I think he's healthy, think he has 1-2 good years left with good QB play and is to me a really good bargain right now in both redraft and dynasty.

Users who are viewing this thread