What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

People standing on the corner with signage: "Homeless - Please He (1 Viewer)

On The Rocks

Evil Conservative
I live in a city with a population of between 210-220K.

The surrounding area and county has a population of 750K.

I've seen an increase in the number of people standing on the corner of major intersections - holding signs indicating their status as homeless and asking for "help".

I've seen these people all my life doing this, but in the last year it is astounding how much more frequently I see someone doing this. Where I might have seen someone once a month - now I see one to two people daily.

I'm sure in larger cities this is quite a common occurrence - but I'm wondering if others have seen an exponential increase in people with these signs.

Don't flake out on me - because I'm sure there are people with a genuine need - but has this become a "cottage industry"? Is there a sense that this is the way people HAVE to go about getting by?

Personally - I don't ever give to anyone in that situation. I have in the past, offered to grab a cup of coffee for someone in the winter months - but that's about it.

My position is that there are programs in place for the homeless and those programs are in place through tax dollars - therefore, I don't see a need to be double taxed.

Am I a horrible person?

Well tax funded programs are severely lacking in many areas so you might want to look into that where you live. With that said there are a lot of fakers out there who make a good living hustling people at stop lights and all that.

I wouldn't throw a nickel at those dirtbags. Odds are they're not homeless at all, and/or the money is going to buy drugs or booze. #### them.

I never give them anything. Never have, never will. Sorry you made bad decisions but its not my problem. I don't have your money. I have my own, thank you.

No. You should not give money to these panhandlers. If you want to help, donate to legitimate organizations.

A group of 3 different guys sit on 3 different corners by my office every day for the better part of the last year. All holding "US Veteran, Need Help" kinda signs. These look like Vietnam Vet guys, I'll occasionally drop a dollar or two in a cup. Another guy in front of the deli around the street sits there every day for 4 years. If I have a change I'll drop it in his cup.

Friend used to keep some cards in her purse that listed everywhere in the city that a person could go and get a free meal, shower, bed, counselling, etc. A much better idea than handing out cash.

Think about it, what would drive you to have to give up your dignity and stand on a corner with a sign? I would work any menial job/stand in line at a food kitchen before I'd do this. I always assume these folks do this because it's easier than getting a crappy job or assistance. No one hassles you about showing up, being on time, no responsibility. Plus it obviously gets them enough cash or they would stop doing it.

If they are older, I usually give them a few bucks or get them something to eat. I tend to ignore the young kids, because I figure they're lazy rather than down on their luck.

I compliment them on their tans and don't answer their question for change.

We both feel better about ourselves afterwards.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some investigative show here in LA tested out standing with a sign on a busy freeway off ramp. $200+ in 6 hours if my memory serves me right.

I never give them anything, but love offering food. 99% of the time they turn it down and act annoyed that you're trying to give them food.

Some investigative show here in LA tested out standing with a sign on a busy freeway off ramp. $200+ in 6 hours if my memory serves me right.

I never give them anything, but love offering food. 99% of the time they turn it down and act annoyed that you're trying to give them food.
This

If they're near a convenience store, I'll offer to buy them food. Only a handful of times, but I'd say in half the cases they become angry or argumentative about it.

There is an old Mexican dude running a really good game at the stoplight under the highway next to the Red Lobster. First of all, he is old, so he has the empathy thing going for him. Secondly, he is holding a squeegee, a rag, and a bottle of window cleaner. He has really thick glasses and a blank look on his face. He looks just like a conservative old dude, and he is dressed like Mr. Miyagi. His look is his hook. And it's pretty good, too. Because I see him getting money daily and have yet to see him wash an actual window.

I have a theory that there are horror stories that float around homeless communities about people getting poisoned and stuff. And I think that's why they don't like to take food.

I used to give these people a few bucks all the time. Then, a bit over a decade ago, I gave some money to one of these folks @ an intersection. I was going to a nearby store and pulled in, went and did my shopping. When I was coming back out of the store, I noticed the panhandler crossing over to the parking lot I had parked in. He got into a Mercedes. It wasn't brand new or anything, but I was driving a Dodge Spirit at the time and it really pissed me off. Never given a cent to anyone in an intersection since.

To answer the OP, yes, the numbers have climbed significantly in my area. Nearly every off ramp has a guy standing by it. I'd say this significant increase has been in the past 2-3 years.

The shark move is to ask them for spare change before they get a chance to ask you.

Or tell them you have diabetes. That gets em real good.

I don't, though I'm tempted when I see dudes sleeping on the sidewalk. A few days ago there was a guy asleep on an iphone ad.

There are a lot of folks on 34th street, 90% of them are young and are holding up signs that say "drug-free" while smoking.

One of them holds up a sign saying he's got a pregnant wife. Meanwhile there are dozens of folks hawking tours, Empire state and crap.

Those jobs seem pretty easy to get.

These 'homeless' are usually dressed better than me...
The last guy I saw had a new pair of jeans, a nice polo shirt, and some decent tennis shoes. I kind of did a double-take because they are not usually that well dressed.

These 'homeless' are usually dressed better than me...
The last guy I saw had a new pair of jeans, a nice polo shirt, and some decent tennis shoes. I kind of did a double-take because they are not usually that well dressed.
Seems to be par for the course here in Los Angeles. Maybe they'll have an old shirt and jeans but a lot of them have nice shoes which is a giveaway to me that they aren't really homeless.

On the bright side, the beggars are very nice here.

The prime corners and off-ramps are valuable real estate. There's one freeway exit in LA that is considered the best spot in the city. The guy who works it defends it passionately. It's said he will drive his Lexus to the spot as early as 4AM and fight off anyone who might intrude on his space.
I'm tempted to take the spot at the 405/Santa Monica exit wearing my regular clothes just to see what will happen.

No. You should not give money to these panhandlers. If you want to help, donate to legitimate organizations.
:goodposting: I work in the field of social services and can tell you that the majority of panhandlers are not homeless. This is essentially what we tell everyone that asks this question.

One of the guys here must never get any donations. I saw him a month ago with a sign saying he was $12 short for a bus ticket, then saw him a couple weeks later still with the same sign.

Poor guy.

Maybe it is a regional thing, but where I live the beggars are often amputees with no teeth.
Some of them saw their arms off with butterknives and yank their teeth out with pliers.

I'm telling you they're really good at this

Users who are viewing this thread