What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Amari Cooper, CLE (5 Viewers)

What does this say about the Raiders and/or Derek Carr?

I'm about as down on Carr as I am any QB or player in the league but sometimes the chemistry just does not work out, not always a party to blame, just the mix does not work and like some relationships growth can only occur through separation.  Still hard to fathom how they could ignore him for such long stretches.

But before we pile on Raiders/ Carr, which I'm usually quick to do, I leave you with this tweet I read earlier this morning:

Try and make sense of this: Amari Cooper 6 games with Raiders 22-280-12.7-1 TD. 6 games with Dallas 40-642-16.1-6 TDs. Derek Carr in 6 games with Cooper 223-150-71.7 (8 ints, 7 TDs) 89.9 rating; Carr 7 games w/out Cooper 223-150-67.3 ) (ints, 8 TDs ) 105.4 rating.

Ryan McDowell @RyanMc23

Since his Week 9 debut with Dallas, Amari Cooper ranks among WRs...

1st in receiving yards (640)

1st in receiving TDs (6)

6th in targets (53)

5th in receptions (40)

14th in Air Yards (510)

1st in fantasy points (140.1)

• Smile
Reactions: -X-
Cooper is a good example of how watching games helps you in fantasy.  Stats only guys can't see the insane separation he gets just from footwork.  

If you watched Cooper play a lot, it was a lot easier to maintain the faith. 

This kid is a player.  He has that Antonio Brown route running factor and now he has the volume to go with it. 

Cooper is a good example of how watching games helps you in fantasy.  Stats only guys can't see the insane separation he gets just from footwork.  

If you watched Cooper play a lot, it was a lot easier to maintain the faith. 

This kid is a player.  He has that Antonio Brown route running factor and now he has the volume to go with it. 
Right. I saw him getting open.  He just wasn't getting the ball.  And he has always been a great after the catch guy.

Week three I got offers for a early 2nd for him. Now what would he sell for in dynasty you think?
I wouldn't trade him for less than a mid-first.  Hard to say not knowing much about next year's draft class. Given his youth, I probably would prefer him over a mid-first.

I'm done with this guy.  Just when he tricks us into believing he will finally realize his potential with a better team/QB and be a true #1 WR, he torpedoes many fantasy playoff or DFS teams with a "True Cooper" 32 and 20 yard vanishing act.  I will never again be seduced by his 180+ multi-TD games into thinking he can be a reliable starting WR.  How many of you did he thrust into the playoffs with his huge week 12 and 14 games, only to crush those hopes in week 15 and 16?

I'm done with this guy.  Just when he tricks us into believing he will finally realize his potential with a better team/QB and be a true #1 WR, he torpedoes many fantasy playoff or DFS teams with a "True Cooper" 32 and 20 yard vanishing act.  I will never again be seduced by his 180+ multi-TD games into thinking he can be a reliable starting WR.  How many of you did he thrust into the playoffs with his huge week 12 and 14 games, only to crush those hopes in week 15 and 16?
This is what Cooper does.  

I'm going to try to trade him for Theilen or someone. Might take Jarvis Landry and a pick.  Maybe the Beckham Jr owner in my league is as sick of his crap as I am of Cooper's and we can work something out.   I've missed a bunch of his big games and I'm dead tired of being stuck with the stinkers.  

I'll play it cool and see what offers I get before I try shipping him off, but there's only like a 5% chance he's on a roster of mine in Sept 2019.  

1 thing to keep in mind, Has there ever been a WR traded mid season and performed this well that season?

there is also the theme that it is hard to trust a FA WR changing teams, where they presumably get an off season to pick up the offense. Something Cooper has yet to have with the Cowboys 

Yesterday was disappointing but there are only a handful of players who consistently put up 20 pts every game without fail.  In my PPR league, his performance in Dallas (weeks 9-16) rank as the WR6, with 154 points in those 8 games.  For contrast, Thielen has 98 points in that same time span. Tyreek Hill has 138.

Yesterday was disappointing but there are only a handful of players who consistently put up 20 pts every game without fail.  In my PPR league, his performance in Dallas (weeks 9-16) rank as the WR6, with 154 points in those 8 games.  For contrast, Thielen has 98 points in that same time span. Tyreek Hill has 138.
Exactly. He’s been a WR1 since coming to Dallas. And WR1s just don’t score 20 points every week.

This is what Cooper does.  
I see the same guy that was in Oakland, the occasional monster game interspersed with some abysmal games. Main difference is that he's getting more target share in Dallas and there is no Crabtree to steal balls away so there are few more solid/ok games in between the extreme's. In terms of PPG, he's now down to WR9 since being traded to Dallas. Still pretty darn good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thielen has fallen off considerably, but both he and Hill have played 1 fewer game than Cooper in that time span. Hill has cooled off too, but is still outscoring Cooper in PPG.

You do know DAL is a run first team and Dak is a mediocre at best NFL QB, right?   You do know that Cooper's big games are due to big plays and some luck.....things that aren't sustainable.

If you thought Cooper was all of a sudden was going to be a WR1, you were being too optimistic.

Cooper will be overrated again next year.   I love him if he's my WR3, but he will go for high WR2 price next year.

I think it is pretty clear at this point: Cooper is a perfectly fine WR2 going forward. If he is your WR1, you could do worse but the reality is the consistency will not be there; be prepared for some game winning weeks, but also for some clunkers. It is as much Dak as it is him. Game flow and scripts, given the propensity to prefer a ground heavy attack don’t bode well. If  drafting for next year, Cooper is probably just outside the top 10 WR.

Amari Cooper caught 7-of-9 targets for 106 yards in the Cowboys' Wild Card win over Seattle.

It was the third time Cooper's hit the 100-yard mark since joining the Cowboys in Week 9, all of which have occurred inside of JerryWorld. Above-Average Amari has now averaged 109.5 yards in six games in Dallas and merely 43.5 in four games on the road since getting out of Oakland. Those splits are worrisome for the Cowboys' must-travel Divisional Round matchup, but Cooper will ultimately stay Dak's go-to target in an up-tempo duel no matter where the team plays next. He'll again be a WR1 in any fantasy playoff contests on Divisional Weekend.

Jan 6 - 12:36 AM

The Fort Worth Star-Telegram's Clarence Hill reports the Cowboys view Amari Cooper's contract demands as "shockingly high."

Hill adds Dallas "openly recognizes the floor of his contract is $16 million annually," so Cooper's demands had to be significantly higher for the Cowboys to be shocked. Odell Beckham is currently the highest-paid receiver in the league at $18 million per year. Cooper might be looking to better that number.

SOURCE: Fort Worth Star-Telegram

May 7, 2019, 11:22 AM ET

Dallas gave DeMarcus Lawrence QB money, now Cooper wants it too.

The Lawrence deal was a steal. Cooper isn't doing the negotiating, his agent is. 

Stephen will get Cooper alone and talk some sense into him. You should also know not to believe anything Clarence Hills writes. 

Amari Cooper told ProFootballTalk's Mike Florio his goal is to reach 2,000 yards receiving in 2019.

That would top the single-season mark held by Lions great Calvin Johnson. To put that in perspective, Cooper's current career-high in yards is 1,153. Cooper is certainly capable of putting up huge numbers but 2,000 yards is probably pushing it. The 2015 first-rounder finds himself on the WR1/2 borderline heading into the final year of his rookie contract.

SOURCE: ProFootballTalk on NBC Sports

Jun 24, 2019, 12:48 PM ET

Amari Cooper said he wants to be a Cowboy for "a long time."

Cooper insists he "isn't thinking" about his contract, which expires at the end of this season. Despite making little headway in extension talks, it's clear the 25-year-old seems himself staying in Dallas long-term. "I do want to be a Dallas Cowboy for a long time," said the three-time Pro Bowler. "I love the organization. I love everything we have going on." Cooper enjoyed a rebirth in Dallas last year, totaling 725 yards and six touchdowns in nine games after arriving in a midseason trade from Oakland. He'll net $13.9 million in the final year of his rookie deal.

SOURCE: Jon Machota on Twitter

Jun 24, 2019, 1:11 PM ET

I pray that if I go RB in the first round, I am not in the position to have to take Cooper as my WR1. 

Tons of talent, but lacks consistency -- as does the DAL offense. Cooper suddenly became a big talker when he moved to DAL, but hasn't played at the level that undisputed WR1s like Julio/Nuk/Hill/Thomas/Brown have. Just have a hard time trusting Coop.

Honestly would rather go with Thielen or Diggs knowing they affect each others' upside, or even old men like Edleman or AJ Green.

That seems irrational even to me as I type it, but just can't shake my mistrust.

I pray that if I go RB in the first round, I am not in the position to have to take Cooper as my WR1. 

Tons of talent, but lacks consistency -- as does the DAL offense. Cooper suddenly became a big talker when he moved to DAL, but hasn't played at the level that undisputed WR1s like Julio/Nuk/Hill/Thomas/Brown have. Just have a hard time trusting Coop.

Honestly would rather go with Thielen or Diggs knowing they affect each others' upside, or even old men like Edleman or AJ Green.

That seems irrational even to me as I type it, but just can't shake my mistrust.
fair points, bu the vikings fired defilippo and the team suddenly became hell-bent on using the running game, likely means Diggs and AT are headed for a (big) downturn in production.

Edelmen is playing with a 90-yr old body can he last the season? and AJ Green is toast.

Cooper was a stud in Big D last season, averaged a full yard per rec more than in Oak, scored 6 TDs and 53 recs

they're going to force-feed him the ball. Witten opens things up. Cooper should nail a minimum of 90 recs ( thats just 15 more than last season)

You don't have to take anyone, just pick someone else if you don't like him.

You don't have to take anyone, just pick someone else if you don't like him.
Yes I never understand people who took someone they disliked because he's the top player on cheat sheets or draft dominator.

Those same people get on others because they took a guy "too high." who cares, it was the top rated guy on my board. I believe he will do better than the consensus picks or cheat sheets. 

Dont like a guy, dont pick him

imo, Carr was the issue in Oakland, not Cooper.  And with that logic, I'm not touching Brown with a ten foot pole.......I foresee Brown missing Big Ben, big time, a few weeks into the season.  Cooper will be fine in Big D. Even though I'm not a huge Dak fan, he's more dynamic than Carr, and hes got good rapport with Cooper.

Last edited by a moderator:
NFL Network's Jane Slater reports the Cowboys are willing to let Amari Cooper play out the final year of his deal.

Slater adds the same thing is true for Dak Prescott. This sounds an awful lot like a negotiation tactic, and the reality is Dallas cannot let both Prescott and Cooper play out their deals because they can only tag one of them next spring. According to Slater, the Cowboys have a "generous" offer on the table for their No. 1 receiver, but it is clearly not good enough.

SOURCE: Jane Slater on Twitter

Aug 6, 2019, 9:43 AM ET

Roy White III ✔ @RDubThree

#Cowboys insider Mickey Spagnola - @spags52 tells @1053SS and I on @1053thefan that the Amari Cooper heel injury is “more of a ligament thing” than a bruise.

That’s concerning.

9:37 AM - Aug 13, 2019

Maven Sports' Mike Fisher reports Amari Cooper has plantar fascia irritation.

Cooper's "heel" injury apparently was this plantar fascia problem. The Cowboys aren't concerned about the injury, but Cooper has missed a week of practice. It's reportedly a small irritation, something he should be able to manage throughout camp and the season. The Cowboys might take it slow with their No. 1 receiver during the preseason, but he should be fine before Week 1.

SOURCE: Maven Sports

Aug 13, 2019, 6:15 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread