What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Merged Spygate thread (1 Viewer)

Idk about this..."as the play unfolded"?? That would mean a coach would have to call in, Brady hear and process it, THEN react...All in about 3 or 4 seconds, while at least 4 guys are gunning to take his head off. That seems pretty difficult.
No. All he'd have to say is "throw it to x" whoever x happened to be. Or even quicker just say the last name. "Smith" or whoever. The guys upstairs can see the coverages better even before the ball is snapped.
And what Flutie said was that they talked to him right up to the snap, rather than getting cut off 15 seconds into the play clock. Which means they could give him signals on how the D was moving right up to the snap of the ball - which would be pretty valuable info.
And for you to have any credibility at all, all you have to do is provide a link where Flutie is quoted as saying this; can you do that? :popcorn:
I see my quote included in this. To be clear, I have no predisposition one way or the other on this. I was simply saying that if it were true, all someone would have to say from upstairs in that extra 15 seconds is a single word - the receiver's last name, the route, the position ( "X", "Y", "Z") in order to give a QB, any QB, enough information to gain an advantage. They could take that one word and know instantly where a first read may need to be. So basically, the argument that there's too much going on in a short amount of time, therefore it couldn't be an advantage, to me, is bunk. There could clearly be an advantage.
Yes, you and the op don't make things up and you shouldn't be faulted for simply regurgitating, promoting or adding to the rumor and bs created by others. I am sure the Flutie quote will be forthcoming any day now :whistle:

You know I read somewhere on the internet that NE also had invisible force fields they used to block opponents and it was a HUGE advantage. Much like you and others here, I don't have any real proof that they had these invisible force fields, but someone said it so it must be true and I want to be clear, if true they would have had a great advantage.
Did you even actually read what I wrote? Read it again. My point applies to ANY team that may have had 15 extra seconds of air time with the coaches. My comment had nothing to do with the Pats but rather the alleged advantage itself. Good grief.
Yes, I did read it and my point was the same; any team with a force field would have an advantage. I was just having a little fun in pointing out the folly in building hypotheticals on top of hypotheticals. I don't disagree with any of the hypotheticals things you said, just having a little fun; peace.

Again I will ask you, do you believe there are ANY new facts in the article and that the OP was just trying to generate a healthy discussion? If your answer to both isn't no, then please elaborate.
the point about the helmet not cutting off at the appropriate time seemed new and interesting to me. seemed worthy of sharing, even if it's just a baseless rumor.

:shrug:
And you feel it is more likely than not that the OP was just trying to start a "healthy" discussion?

Do I have that right?

And you feel it is more likely than not that the OP was just trying to start a "healthy" discussion?

Do I have that right?
I think he saw the article, thought it was interesting, and passed it along to others here. Sure. I don't see him poking you guys with a stick, despite the reaction it generated.

Again I will ask you, do you believe there are ANY new facts in the article and that the OP was just trying to generate a healthy discussion? If your answer to both isn't no, then please elaborate.
the point about the helmet not cutting off at the appropriate time seemed new and interesting to me. seemed worthy of sharing, even if it's just a baseless rumor.

I had never heard that rumor and find it interesting.

Honestly, I never felt like spy-gate was all that big of a deal. To me, it feels like it's just barely over the line and it's something that I'd hope my teams coach was doing - if you aren't pushing the envelope, you aren't really trying. Frankly, I enjoy that Belicihick pushes the envelope, doing what he can to gain an edge.

The audio headset thing though - that's a big deal. Huge. Complete game-changer for me, if true. If the QB call the play, get under center, and be warned where the blitz is coming from, or what kind of coverage is called in real time - that's a tremendous advantage.

moleculo said:
Aaron Rudnicki said:
NE_REVIVAL said:

Honestly, I never felt like spy-gate was all that big of a deal. To me, it feels like it's just barely over the line and it's something that I'd hope my teams coach was doing - if you aren't pushing the envelope, you aren't really trying. Frankly, I enjoy that Belicihick pushes the envelope, doing what he can to gain an edge.

The audio headset thing though - that's a big deal. Huge. Complete game-changer for me, if true. If the QB call the play, get under center, and be warned where the blitz is coming from, or what kind of coverage is called in real time - that's a tremendous advantage.
Until now, spygate has been fun material with which to abuse all too gullible Pats fans. Especially since some of us are fortunate enough to be fans of the team that denied them history.

However, IF true, these latest accusations really cut to the heart of gaining an utterly unfair advantage. And let's admit it - would anyone put it past Belicheat to do this? With some organizations it would be tough to imagine, but not here.

Oh, did I mention how easy it is to get Pats fans riled up by reminding them of opportunities forever lost?

People don't keep secrets, it takes a lot of people to pull something like this off for just one year let alone many years. Someone would have sold this story long ago to TMZ or someone and cashed in.

IF it did happen and it is a big if, there would be an advantage to to talking after the 15 seconds were up, but as the play develops? You are joking right? So they snap the ball and Brady is drops back and is looking for an open receiver and he has one of his coaches in his ear telling him which way to look or watch out for that late blitzer on the right. Quarterbacks get about 2 to 4 seconds to make up their mind where they are going with the ball, a coach yelling into your helmet would do a lot more damage than good.
Get real pal their are bigger secrets then that in this world that are kept. Don't believe what you just wrote please LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
Aaron Rudnicki said:
NE_REVIVAL said:

Do I have that right?
I think he saw the article, thought it was interesting, and passed it along to others here. Sure. I don't see him poking you guys with a stick, despite the reaction it generated.
So we agree the "article" doesn't contain any new facts just new hater fueled baseless rumor and speculation.

We are sure the OP wasn't trying to antagonize patriot fans; and taking it a step further we can't even understand why patriot fans would have a problem with such a well written, albeit fact challenged "article".

There is no problem with the inflammatory, antagonistic fact challenged topic, the problem is those who mistakenly believed the OP was a Buffalo Bills fan and didn't recognize his altruistic intentions and using mean words like troll and bitter (etc) to describe the benevolent posters who are earnestly trying to "generate discussion" on this topic.

Got it ;)

So we agree the "article" doesn't contain any new facts just new hater fueled baseless rumor and speculation.

We are sure the OP wasn't trying to antagonize patriot fans; and taking it a step further we can't even understand why patriot fans would have a problem with such a well written, albeit fact challenged "article".
the OP didn't write the article. maybe a letter to the editor at the NY Post is in order for you?

Aaron Rudnicki said:
NE_REVIVAL said:

Do I have that right?
:no:

It's amazing how defensive Pats fans get over this issue. Who are you trying to convince, us or you? We all know how unreliable Goodell is when it comes to video evidence based on recent events.

Aaron Rudnicki said:
NE_REVIVAL said:

Do I have that right?

There is no problem with the inflammatory, antagonistic fact challenged topic, the problem is those who mistakenly believed the OP was a Buffalo Bills fan and didn't recognize his altruistic intentions and using mean words like troll and bitter (etc) to describe the benevolent posters who are earnestly trying to "generate discussion" on this topic.

Got it ;)
:lmao:

the OP didn't write the article. maybe a letter to the editor at the NY Post is in order for you?
You know I tried to choose my words carefully and left out the fact that your 2nd post was obviously a gratuitous shot at me and yet your reply is such a snarky non sequitur :no:

Ok, I never said the OP wrote the "article" can you show me where I said he did?

Your turn.......

The NFL has to realize that Spygate won't go away, they need to man up and us tell us what exactly the Pats did that was so different and terrible from the rest of the league.

You know I tried to choose my words carefully and left out the fact that your 2nd post was obviously a gratuitous shot at me and yet your reply is such a snarky non sequitur :no:

Ok, I never said the OP wrote the "article" can you show me where I said he did?

Your turn.......
I give up. This is going nowhere.

good luck the rest of the year.

I see an easy advantage if the Pats had the field split into 6 "zones" and just called a number for Brady to look for the open man. That is IF this was happening.

moleculo said:
Aaron Rudnicki said:
NE_REVIVAL said:

The stealing of signals wasn't a big deal to me because I always felt if one team was doing it then all if not most were. What Spygate did dofor me was realize that the teams were pretty much holding CIA operations on stealing and hiding the signals. I pictured a guy sitting in the dark booth with a headset writing do the signals he decrypted and getting them to the general via WWII. Honestly it took a little away from the game for me when I realized that.

Back to my point, the stealing of signals wasn't a big deal even though it was against the rules and the spirit of the game because everyone was doing it one way or another, The Pats were just a little more better at it. Goodell came in and said you can no longer make it so obvious with recorders; when he learned the Pats was testing his power he punished them severely. Or so I thought; this news about this second radio frequency is a clear breaking of the rules and explains why Goodell gave them such a huge punishment.

Koya said:
Run It Up said:
Wake up see the thread is still going strong.

Good, gooood. Let the butthurt flow through you.
Exactly who's butt hurts here?
It's quite apparent you are. I'd be jealous of the Pats dynasty too if I was a Giants fan. The Patriots just keep on winning while your Giants just keep on choking.

The only thing we've established is that Pats fans are trying to wrestle back the title of 'most obnoxious poster demographic' from Seahawks fans.
I'm not sure they ever lost it. The guy you're paraphrasing/responding to is the worst.

The NFL has to realize that Spygate won't go away, they need to man up and us tell us what exactly the Pats did that was so different and terrible from the rest of the league.
Videotaping signals = illegal

The Patriots were reminded of it yet didn't stop.

Why will Bill Belichick never die?

He can cheat death.
Feel free to let your kids use that for Halloween.

Aaron Rudnicki said:
NE_REVIVAL said:

Do I have that right?

Got it ;)
you're definitely winning the magniloquence battle :)

Videotaping signals = illegal

The Patriots were reminded of it yet didn't stop.
source?
A memo from Ray Anderson, NFL head of football operations, to head coaches and GMs on Sept. 6, 2006 said: 'Video taping of any type, including but not limited to taping of an opponent’s offensive or defensive signals, is prohibited on the sidelines, in the coaches’ booth, in the locker room, or at any other locations accessible to club staff members during the game.'
Goodell referenced this when during a press conference about Matt Walsh:

Goodell said in his Matt Walsh press conference, "The rule is taping of offensive or defensive signals."

I also believe Belichick-disciple Eric Mangini engaged in the same cheating when the Jets got caught filming the Patriots before their 2006 playoff game.

Aaron Rudnicki said:
NE_REVIVAL said:

Do I have that right?

Got it ;)
you're definitely winning the magniloquence battle :)
Gotta get em in where I can.....

Koya said:
Run It Up said:

It's quite apparent you are. I'd be jealous of the Pats dynasty too if I was a Giants fan. The Patriots just keep on winning while your Giants just keep on choking.
I'm not even sure what reality you'd have to be in to think this is logical.

All the excuses from patriot fans are hilarious. Face the facts cheatriots.... There will forever be * next to your superbowls in the eyes of everyone except patriot fans. Deal with it. You havent won any superbowls since spygate

Belicheats championships should have Asteriks. No if's ands or butts and I think the NE fan base are Butt hurt about it when we talk about the GOLDEN BOY Tom brady and how he is basically made in a system and if it wasn't for Adam Vinatieri Brady may not have any RINGS.

Koya said:
Run It Up said:

I think you are in outright denial here. Do I need to state again how we schooled you twice in the SB and denied your (cheating) team a chance for utter history?

We may suck this year (and probably next), but no one can ever take away the fact that NE is our superbowl #####.

When you guys beat a 19-0 Giants team in the Super Bowl and then beat us AGAIN in the Super Bowl, I'll be jealous.

this is one thing I love about the pats

they lose a couple games and it's the biggest story in the league

but win a couple games..................

we're not even halfway into the season and you can already smell the fear

:wub: :wub: :wub:

this is one thing I love about the pats

they lose a couple games and it's the biggest story in the league

but win a couple games..................

we're not even halfway into the season and you can already smell the fear

:wub: :wub: :wub:
Riling up overly sensitive and insecure Pats fans is a yearly tradition at this point.

Like shooting fish in a barrel. They just make it SO easy.

Of course, I'd be sensitive and insecure too if I know that what championships I do have come under real question as to their legitimacy, and the last two times they got close (once close to immortality), the region's big brother in the Mid Atlantic gave them something to choke on.

I love all the supposed fans of "untainted championships" as if amphetamines, cocaine, steroids, adderall and other peds are just fine.

There might have been a bit too much stick-um on some of those mits, some gouging of eyes, etc.

Have your debate about wrong radio frequencies all you want but enough with the "holier than thou" cracks.

I suffered as a Pats fan through decades of junk, and I for one don't care what you losers think. If you want to blame anyone for their success blame the other bad teams in the division. The Fins, Jets and Bills have given the Pats no competition for more than a decade. You hate the Pats? Focus on the main problem...the AFC East has been terrible.

I suffered as a Pats fan through decades of junk, and I for one don't care what you losers think. If you want to blame anyone for their success blame the other bad teams in the division. The Fins, Jets and Bills have given the Pats no competition for more than a decade. You hate the Pats? Focus on the main problem...the AFC East has been terrible.
Which is another black mark against their alleged greatness.

I love all the supposed fans of "untainted championships" as if amphetamines, cocaine, steroids, adderall and other peds are just fine.

There might have been a bit too much stick-um on some of those mits, some gouging of eyes, etc.

Have your debate about wrong radio frequencies all you want but enough with the "holier than thou" cracks.

Don't hate the Pats at all. Their fan base provides SO much fun discussion.

What I can't figure out is why everyone seems to hate the Pats and the fans? Having grown up in the Boston area, there were literally decades when they were one of the worst teams in the league. Yes they won superbowls but people really hate BB and Brady. Why exactly? I can understand if you are from another AFC East town or from Carolina, St. Louis or Philly, but the league-wide hate is puzzling. Ah well. I guess it is what is it. Haters gonna hate.

Which is another black mark against their alleged greatness.
Cant the same be said about other teams? Pack with a few solid Bears teams but , the 9ers had to deal with a few good Ram RBs.....etc

Aaron Rudnicki said:
NE_REVIVAL said:

I agree. I'd never heard that allegation previous to reading this article.

It's all water under the bridge at this point, but that does change how I'd view that team if ever proven true.

moleculo said:
Aaron Rudnicki said:
NE_REVIVAL said:
Again I will ask you, do you believe there are ANY new facts in the article and that the OP was just trying to generate a healthy discussion?

If your answer to both isn't no, then please elaborate.
the point about the helmet not cutting off at the appropriate time seemed new and interesting to me. seemed worthy of sharing, even if it's just a baseless rumor. :shrug:
I had never heard that rumor and find it interesting. Honestly, I never felt like spy-gate was all that big of a deal. To me, it feels like it's just barely over the line and it's something that I'd hope my teams coach was doing - if you aren't pushing the envelope, you aren't really trying. Frankly, I enjoy that Belicihick pushes the envelope, doing what he can to gain an edge.

Until now, spygate has been fun material with which to abuse all too gullible Pats fans. Especially since some of us are fortunate enough to be fans of the team that denied them history.

However, IF true, these latest accusations really cut to the heart of gaining an utterly unfair advantage. And let's admit it - would anyone put it past Belicheat to do this? With some organizations it would be tough to imagine, but not here.

Oh, did I mention how easy it is to get Pats fans riled up by reminding them of opportunities forever lost?
With all due respect, shouldn't you Giants fans be hiding under a rock today?

Aaron Rudnicki said:
NE_REVIVAL said:

I agree. I'd never heard that allegation previous to reading this article.

It's all water under the bridge at this point, but that does change how I'd view that team if ever proven true.
Do you think they are the only ones to have this happen? How do you know it wasnt league wide?

moleculo said:
Aaron Rudnicki said:
NE_REVIVAL said:
Again I will ask you, do you believe there are ANY new facts in the article and that the OP was just trying to generate a healthy discussion?

If your answer to both isn't no, then please elaborate.
the point about the helmet not cutting off at the appropriate time seemed new and interesting to me. seemed worthy of sharing, even if it's just a baseless rumor. :shrug:
I had never heard that rumor and find it interesting. Honestly, I never felt like spy-gate was all that big of a deal. To me, it feels like it's just barely over the line and it's something that I'd hope my teams coach was doing - if you aren't pushing the envelope, you aren't really trying. Frankly, I enjoy that Belicihick pushes the envelope, doing what he can to gain an edge.

With all due respect, shouldn't you Giants fans be hiding under a rock today?
Regarding this season? Absolutely. At least Eli's stinker got me a big fantasy win.

However, in those dark times as a fan, I just pop the soul crushing victory over the 18-0 Pats and a smile comes to my face. A crap game like yesterday comes and goes.

18-ONE will last forever.

What I can't figure out is why everyone seems to hate the Pats and the fans? Having grown up in the Boston area, there were literally decades when they were one of the worst teams in the league. Yes they won superbowls but people really hate BB and Brady. Why exactly? I can understand if you are from another AFC East town or from Carolina, St. Louis or Philly, but the league-wide hate is puzzling. Ah well. I guess it is what is it. Haters gonna hate.
I actually don't hate the Pats. Though BB gives a good amount of reason.

Now, the fan base? It's become pretty untenable. Which is why a thread like this can be so fun.

Users who are viewing this thread