What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Merged Spygate thread (4 Viewers)

You know, its actually kind of sad. As much as Brady was too perfect and above reproach all the while QBing for one of the (formerly) most respected organizations in the NFL, it all ended up to be a fat, cheating lie.

Hard to now respect any of their recent rings, almost as if they are already stricken from the record of most objective NFL fans.

Of course,I admit this is an easier stance to take as I am a Giants fan that has put the patHETICS to shame twice, including eliminating a chance at a (probably not deserved through some sort of cheating) undefeated season... but y'all know what I'm saying
That your another jealous, bitter, NY sports fan? Check. Sheli looked to be in top form last night!

"They haven't won the super bowl since they got caught"

Are you kidding me??? It's pretty hard to win the Super Bowl last I checked. And they were one crazy helmet catch away from beating the Giants.

Jercules: some of us became Patriots haters because of insufferable Pats fans whose hubris seems to have no limits. Just look around this thread. We can't even have a mature debate about a serious claim.
:goodposting:

My enjoyment of this forum has been so much better thanks to the "This post is hidden because you have chosen to ignore posts by insufferable Pats fans"

Idk about this..."as the play unfolded"?? That would mean a coach would have to call in, Brady hear and process it, THEN react...All in about 3 or 4 seconds, while at least 4 guys are gunning to take his head off. That seems pretty difficult.
No. All he'd have to say is "throw it to x" whoever x happened to be. Or even quicker just say the last name. "Smith" or whoever. The guys upstairs can see the coverages better even before the ball is snapped.
And what Flutie said was that they talked to him right up to the snap, rather than getting cut off 15 seconds into the play clock. Which means they could give him signals on how the D was moving right up to the snap of the ball - which would be pretty valuable info.
And for you to have any credibility at all, all you have to do is provide a link where Flutie is quoted as saying this; can you do that? :popcorn:
I see my quote included in this. To be clear, I have no predisposition one way or the other on this. I was simply saying that if it were true, all someone would have to say from upstairs in that extra 15 seconds is a single word - the receiver's last name, the route, the position ( "X", "Y", "Z") in order to give a QB, any QB, enough information to gain an advantage. They could take that one word and know instantly where a first read may need to be. So basically, the argument that there's too much going on in a short amount of time, therefore it couldn't be an advantage, to me, is bunk. There could clearly be an advantage.

Idk about this..."as the play unfolded"?? That would mean a coach would have to call in, Brady hear and process it, THEN react...All in about 3 or 4 seconds, while at least 4 guys are gunning to take his head off. That seems pretty difficult.
No. All he'd have to say is "throw it to x" whoever x happened to be. Or even quicker just say the last name. "Smith" or whoever. The guys upstairs can see the coverages better even before the ball is snapped.
And what Flutie said was that they talked to him right up to the snap, rather than getting cut off 15 seconds into the play clock. Which means they could give him signals on how the D was moving right up to the snap of the ball - which would be pretty valuable info.
And for you to have any credibility at all, all you have to do is provide a link where Flutie is quoted as saying this; can you do that? :popcorn:
I see my quote included in this. To be clear, I have no predisposition one way or the other on this. I was simply saying that if it were true, all someone would have to say from upstairs in that extra 15 seconds is a single word - the receiver's last name, the route, the position ( "X", "Y", "Z") in order to give a QB, any QB, enough information to gain an advantage. They could take that one word and know instantly where a first read may need to be. So basically, the argument that there's too much going on in a short amount of time, therefore it couldn't be an advantage, to me, is bunk. There could clearly be an advantage.
Steve Young himself is quoted on that point.

Yes, you and the op don't make things up and you shouldn't be faulted for simply regurgitating, promoting or adding to the rumor and bs created by others. I am sure the Flutie quote will be forthcoming any day now :whistle:

You know I read somewhere on the internet that NE also had invisible force fields they used to block opponents and it was a HUGE advantage. Much like you and others here, I don't have any real proof that they had these invisible force fields, but someone said it so it must be true and I want to be clear, if true they would have had a great advantage.

You know, its actually kind of sad. As much as Brady was too perfect and above reproach all the while QBing for one of the (formerly) most respected organizations in the NFL, it all ended up to be a fat, cheating lie.

Hard to now respect any of their recent rings, almost as if they are already stricken from the record of most objective NFL fans.

Of course,I admit this is an easier stance to take as I am a Giants fan that has put the patHETICS to shame twice, including eliminating a chance at a (probably not deserved through some sort of cheating) undefeated season... but y'all know what I'm saying
That your another jealous, bitter, NY sports fan? Check. Sheli looked to be in top form last night!
Why would I be jealous or bitter?

1. My Giants have got me four (untainted) championships in my 40 years on this earth.

2. If I'd be jealous, it would not be to the team that we beat for our last two (untainted) championships.

3. I am proud of my organization and don't have to be ashamed by cheating and/or the knowledge that those Super Bowls that were won are not really legit.

4. How could I be bitter when there is no group of fans that seems easier to tweak that Pats fans (probably because in their hearts, they know that (a) what success they had is, legitimately, in question and (2) they got their crow handed to them twice by my team, including choking away an opportunity to be the greatest (cheating) team ever.

Brady allegedly (haha, allegedly) had a separate radio frequency that allowed coaches to talk to him as the play unfolded.

In this scenario, the extra frequency is critical, as it allows the team to do something in real time with the stolen signals, out of earshot of the NFL monitor, and change its plays accordingly.

If there’s an open channel during the play itself, you can also alert the quarterback to open receivers he may not see.

O’Leary repeats a rumor that Pats backup quarterback Doug Flutie once said he accidentally picked up Brady’s helmet during the 2005 season.

“He was amazed that the coaches kept right on speaking to Brady past the 15-second cutoff, right up until the snap,” ­according to O’Leary.

“The voice in Tom Brady’s helmet was explaining the exact defense he was about to face.”
http://nypost.com/2014/10/12/they-are-cheaters-spygate-the-nfl-scandal-that-started-it-all/
lol at alerting the QB to open receivers he may not see.

1. My Giants have got me four (untainted) championships in my 40 years on this earth.

2. If I'd be jealous, it would not be to the team that we beat for our last two (untainted) championships.

3. I am proud of my organization and don't have to be ashamed by cheating and/or the knowledge that those Super Bowls that were won are not really legit.

4. How could I be bitter when there is no group of fans that seems easier to tweak that Pats fans (probably because in their hearts, they know that (a) what success they had is, legitimately, in question and (2) they got their crow handed to them twice by my team, including choking away an opportunity to be the greatest (cheating) team ever.
Fact: The only people who question their success are jealous haters.

The refs handed you the win in '07.

/thread

Does this explain why Matt Cassel led New England to 12 and 4 while he is complete dung on other teams when he's not wearing Brady's helmet? Nah ... It's probably just a conspiracy.

They were 2 minutes away in 2 other SB's... been to the last 3 AFC Championship games.... it's all good. Even Bill Cowher said they all did what they could to get an edge. This is old news that's kept fresh by the hapless haters. I say, swallow your hurt pride, and switch to the Pats while there is still time! We will welcome you, then maybe some day you can move to this wonderful geographic region. Went to a corn maze, wagon ride, and apple picking yesterday. What a 2nd half by Brady!! Such touch!

/thread
1. I am not a hater. I love the Pats. They are our doormat in the Super Bowl.

2. A jealous hater WOULD say that the refs handed the Giants the win. For one, they did not. The Giant's D-Line destroyed pretty boy. Second, for the "best offense / team ever" you'd think it wouldn't even come down to a close game where someone who is jealous (of the Giants winning those Super Bowls) might be able to find an excuse for the refs.

3. Again, I point to how easy it is to tweak many Pats fans. Is the insecurity about being beat by the Giants twice? The pain of coming SO close to perfect before getting relegated to a historical foot note, or the shame of knowing that your team cheated and that what wins they did get may not even be legit?

:coffee:

Does this explain why Matt Cassel led New England to 12 and 4 while he is complete dung on other teams when he's not wearing Brady's helmet? Nah ... It's probably just a conspiracy.
Ummm, I think you mean 11-5, or 1 more game than he won with a sad sack KC team just two years later. Nice try though......

Ummm, I think you mean 11-5, or 1 more game than he won with a sad sack KC team just two years later. Nice try though......
That can be spun in so many ways,. One could say, "Tom Brady took a team to 10-6 in 2009 that Matt Cassel had gotten to 11-5 in 2008."

That can be spun in so many ways,. One could say, "Tom Brady took a team to 10-6 in 2009 that Matt Cassel had gotten to 11-5 in 2008."
You can of course say anything you like, I just pointed out the facts that he was wrong about the number of wins and wrong about the dung comment; other than that he was spot on :coffee:

Not a Pats, fan but I'm embarrassed to see the legs this has on this site.

How can the same group people that can speak on an expert level about football be so blinded about what really happens in the NFL... or any major sport, competition or Boy Scout pinewwod derby race. If you honestly believe that EVERY NFL team didn't do this to some degree your just being naive. You were probably shocked into a coma when you found out that Mark Mcguire and Sammy Sosa juiced, think that Lance Armstrong was the only guy doping at the Tour De France( you probably burned your Livestrong bracelet) the only College coaches that pay off recruits are the ones who get caught, Baseball players don't steal signs....and on and on.

Any mention of "taking away titles" or that their wins are bogus is ridiculous. BB and the Patriots took one for the team. They ate the responsibility and saved the NFL's good name by being the bad guy.

How can the same group people that can speak on an expert level about football be so blinded about what really happens in the NFL... or any major sport, competition or Boy Scout pinewwod derby race. If you honestly believe that EVERY NFL team didn't do this to some degree your just being naive. You were probably shocked into a coma when you found out that Mark Mcguire and Sammy Sosa juiced, think that Lance Armstrong was the only guy doping at the Tour De France( you probably burned your Livestrong bracelet) the only College coaches that pay off recruits are the ones who get caught, Baseball players don't steal signs....and on and on.

Any mention of "taking away titles" or that their wins are bogus is ridiculous. BB and the Patriots took one for the team. They ate the responsibility and saved the NFL's good name by being the bad guy.
Duuuude...

The Pats homers just make it so fun though - and easy.

Plus there's a good amount of truth here. Not worth this thread without watching the pained writings of Pats nation when they realise how long it's been since their fall from grace.

/thread
:lmao: Everybody is jealous....lol.

Then why would Mangini have had them caught, jeopardizing their own ability to tape other teams?

Nothing wrong with talking about Spygate (even if the subject has been beaten to death), but let's not pretend like the link in the original post is a good starting point for any legitimate discussion.

Nothing wrong with talking about Spygate (even if the subject has been beaten to death), but let's not pretend like the link in the original post is a good starting point for any legitimate discussion.
It makes me wonder why Flutie has never commented on it in the six years it's been floating around. If it's untrue that's all he's have to say.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheating's really only interesting to me when someone is caught doing it and punished in real time -- so they have to swallow the bitter pill of the fan revolt as their season comes crashing down -- and maybe in some small sense so that it can be prevented in future seasons.

I don't get to go back in time and enjoy any victories teams I root for might have had. :shrug:

They got away with it for long enough to matter. After that, it pretty much stops mattering, unless you hold stock in United Asterisk, Inc.

Whether titles get stripped or not, they were still the champs in '01, '03, and '04, which were the only points in time during which holding those titles actually mattered to anybody. Alas.

So nothing new, just a bitter Bufalo fan sorry that his team lost to NE again and decides to echo bs innuendo and rumors stirred up by a bitter NY media and Jet fans who are unhappy that their teams still blow.

Ok, got it.
he's not a Bills fan though.

I think Colorado Boulder uses a Buffalo as their team mascot. Maybe he likes them?

Cheating's really only interesting to me when someone is caught doing it and punished in real time -- so they have to swallow the bitter pill of the fan revolt as their season comes crashing down -- and maybe in some small sense so that it can be prevented in future seasons.

I don't get to go back in time and enjoy any victories teams I root for might have had. :shrug:

They got away with it for long enough to matter. After that, it pretty much stops mattering, unless you hold stock in United Asterisk, Inc.

Whether titles get stripped or not, they were still the champs in '01, '03, and '04, which were the only points in time during which holding those titles actually mattered to anybody. Alas.
Feel the same way about Lance Armstrong's titles?

What bothers so many is that Tom Brady and NE continue to win and that just irks the heck out of some people. No team has won more games than the Patriots since the start of the 2007 season and a fair argument can be made that no team and no qb has had more success than Tom Brady and the Patriots since that time.

maybe you should have started with that point instead of immediately calling the guy out for being a bitter Bills fan?
Sorry, maybe people make mistakes sometimes? Do you have something to add other than attacking me? Aren't you on the FBG staff or something, why do you feel compelled to come after me?

What bothers so many is that Tom Brady and NE continue to win and that just irks the heck out of some people. No team has won more games than the Patriots since the start of the 2007 season and a fair argument can be made that no team and no qb has had more success than Tom Brady and the Patriots since that time.
Has nothing to do with it for me. Belichick is a great coach, Brady is a great QB - they would have won nearly as many games had they not cheated.

However, their cheating gave them an edge and could have been the difference in many games - including the Super Bowls.

maybe you should have started with that point instead of immediately calling the guy out for being a bitter Bills fan?
Sorry, maybe people make mistakes sometimes? Do you have something to add other than attacking me? Aren't you on the FBG staff or something, why do you feel compelled to come after me?
look at your posts. someone posts an article to generate discussion and you respond by calling him a bitter troll, etc.

I don't think I'm "attacking" anyone.

So nothing new, just a bitter Bufalo fan sorry that his team lost to NE again and decides to echo bs innuendo and rumors stirred up by a bitter NY media and Jet fans who are unhappy that their teams still blow.

Ok, got it.
he's not a Bills fan though.

I think Colorado Boulder uses a Buffalo as their team mascot. Maybe he likes them?
big fan of former pats Christian Fauria/Daniel Graham/Ted Johnson/Chad Brown

look at your posts. someone posts an article to generate discussion and you respond by calling him a bitter troll, etc.

Sure I will look at my posts and lets look at yours while we are at it. I mistakenly tied the OPs Buffalo id to the Buffalo Bills whom NE had just beaten; my bad.

The article has no new factual information and is really nothing more than a hit piece; is that factually incorrect? Maybe I missed something (honestly).

IMHO, those promoting are obvious haters and there is ZERO redeeming quality to the article. Being a life long fan I am sticking up for my team.

Now lets look at your posts.

With the obvious intent of the OP and the thread and all the crap and nonsense written in this thread, you feel it is necessary to go back to one of my posts from yesterday and point out that I was wrong about the OPs team affiliation. Fair enough.

Your next post is the same subject (me being wrong and you piling on again).

I believe (of course I could be wrong) your only 2 contributions to the thread are two shots at me.

Do you actually believe the OP posted the hit piece of an article to "generate" any sort of a healthy discussion? Really???

does this mean the Bills were the most successful team of the early 90s?

fwiw, I saw the article yesterday, and thought it was worth discussing. I also envisioned the type of reactions from pats fans--although being called a Bills fan was a nice twist.

but yes, why wouldn't this generate discussion. as far as I could tell this was pretty new info from a failry new piece.

With all the crap and nonsense written in this thread, you feel it is necessary to go back to one of my posts from yesterday and point out that I was wrong about the OPs team affiliation. Fair enough.

I believe (of course I could be wrong) your only 2 contributions to the thread are two shots at me.

Do you actually believe the OP posted the hit piece of an article to "generate" any sort of a healthy discussion? Really???
I didn't see the thread yesterday. I started reading it today from the beginning and saw it quickly get derailed by defensive Patriots fans complaining about people being trolls, butthurt, bitter, etc. I also thought it was odd to see you repeatedly calling out a guy as a Bills fan when he's never given that impression on these boards.

I wasn't really taking a shot at you. I was wondering why you chose to respond in such a defensive manner with attacks on the OPs motives instead of attacking/refuting points that were raised in the article.

What a surprise. Everyone with "pats" in their name, everyone with a Patriot avatar, all the responses are the same. Some version of "Get over it." or "Everyone was doing it." lol. That's what I would say too if the evidence that my team was cheating was so overwhelming.

Sure I will look at my posts and lets look at yours while we are at it. I mistakenly tied the OPs Buffalo id to the Buffalo Bills whom NE had just beaten; my bad.

The article has no new factual information and is really nothing more than a hit piece; is that factually incorrect? Maybe I missed something (honestly).

IMHO, those promoting are obvious haters and there is ZERO redeeming quality to the article. Being a life long fan I am sticking up for my team.

Now lets look at your posts.

With the obvious intent of the OP and the thread and all the crap and nonsense written in this thread, you feel it is necessary to go back to one of my posts from yesterday and point out that I was wrong about the OPs team affiliation. Fair enough.

dude, you've been on this board as long as you have and you're still getting trolled in by the losers rooting for some other losers that have made this place a home for years?

pats trolling and similar douchebaggery is the one constant at fbg.

if you came here for the football, sorry you cut welker 'cuz you thought he was headed for pup.

Yes, you and the op don't make things up and you shouldn't be faulted for simply regurgitating, promoting or adding to the rumor and bs created by others. I am sure the Flutie quote will be forthcoming any day now :whistle:

You know I read somewhere on the internet that NE also had invisible force fields they used to block opponents and it was a HUGE advantage. Much like you and others here, I don't have any real proof that they had these invisible force fields, but someone said it so it must be true and I want to be clear, if true they would have had a great advantage.
Did you even actually read what I wrote? Read it again. My point applies to ANY team that may have had 15 extra seconds of air time with the coaches. My comment had nothing to do with the Pats but rather the alleged advantage itself. Good grief.

With all the crap and nonsense written in this thread, you feel it is necessary to go back to one of my posts from yesterday and point out that I was wrong about the OPs team affiliation. Fair enough.

I didn't see the thread yesterday. I started reading it today from the beginning and saw it quickly get derailed by defensive Patriots fans complaining about people being trolls, butthurt, bitter, etc. I also thought it was odd to see you repeatedly calling out a guy as a Bills fan when he's never given that impression on these boards.

I wasn't really taking a shot at you. I was wondering why you chose to respond in such a defensive manner with attacks on the OPs motives instead of attacking/refuting points that were raised in the article.
Again I will ask you, do you believe there are ANY new facts in the article and that the OP was just trying to generate a healthy discussion?

If your answer to both isn't no, then please elaborate.

I can only speculate as to the reason why you would try to pretend the OPs motives were pure and feign surprise (give me a break) that patriots fans would be offended by the OP posting seven year old bs, rumors and innuendo. You jump in and decide the real culprits here are the patriot fans and you needed to come after them, which you did.

Again I will ask you, do you believe there are ANY new facts in the article and that the OP was just trying to generate a healthy discussion? If your answer to both isn't no, then please elaborate.
the point about the helmet not cutting off at the appropriate time seemed new and interesting to me. seemed worthy of sharing, even if it's just a baseless rumor.

:shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread