What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Aaron Rodgers, NYJ (5 Viewers)

I didn't realize he was not 100%. Has he been on any injury report in the past couple weeks? He looks healthy to me, or as healthy as anyone else in week 12.
His knee has been an issue all season - but he says he can play through it.  I think it's only really bothered him in a couple of games this season - not too many.

It's just one throw but that overthrow to Adams was a pretty bad pass and can't remember seeing a pass like that from Rodgers.

To be fair, he's still not 100% and his receiving weapons are nothing like years past, but it's seeming more and more that Rodgers' greatness has devolved into very-goodness. 
He was a tremendous weapon in Aaron Jones, who he (reportedly) lobbied for to get more playing time... yet when the play breaks down, and Aaron Jones is standing there in the flat, Rogers' action list is:

-1) Hold the ball and take a bad sack

-2) Throw the ball away

-3) Force the ball downfield

-4) Revert back to option 1

He even did it to Williams last night on their final scoring drive. Had him standing all alone at the 1st down marker, but chose to take a huge sack.

Same issue in Seattle last week. Major flaw in his QB play that may have cost them the game.

I don’t know if it’s bad play design but a lot of their offense looks like him winging it. Stands and pumps and scrambles over and over or throws back shoulder throws again and again. Rarely does the ball come out on the top of his drop or close to it. 

Something's not right, is it his injury lingering? His mental makeup from all his family issues? or likely his coach and talent around him isn't the best.  Who knows. It's been a rough year for the Packers and the schedule gets somewhat easier but the NFC is tough.

I don’t know if it’s bad play design but a lot of their offense looks like him winging it. Stands and pumps and scrambles over and over or throws back shoulder throws again and again. Rarely does the ball come out on the top of his drop or close to it. 
What’s the play ?

Get open!

Not sure if he used to throw that way, but it was much easier when he could throw to any of Nelson/Cobb/Adams/Jones for some stretch of time - and add Lacy in his more svelte/productive days.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rodgers doesn't look like he's even trying anymore. He knows the coaching staff is on its way out and that the season is pretty much lost. I don't know if it's even that nobody is open, he just doesn't seem interested in throwing it to anyone but Adams as the X receiver in the offense. Jones was covered decently last night on his routes but yeah, Rodgers, looks his way and doesn't trust or doesn't try. Same story for every other player on the field. They need a fresh offensive mind behind the wheel, all the physical gifts and intelligence in the world evententually mean nothing when people start to think that's all they need to get the job done.

I've thought the same thing when watching him lately. He's definitely 'lost a step'
As much as I want to agree with you, it pains me to say that it's probably more of his team being complete garbage around him than him losing a step at this point. 

That's not true....

Regardless, I think his era is over. I don't think he'll ever play in the postseason again.
Let's not get carried away here.  The Saints were 7-9 from 2014-2016 and look at them now.  This Packer teams can do a quick retooling and be competitive again while Rodgers is great.  With that being said Gutekunst needs to have much better drafts than TT did his last few years.  I think he took a step in the right direction with this past draft.  Need to keep building on that and of course a new head coach that's dialed into the modern NFL.

Let's not get carried away here.  The Saints were 7-9 from 2014-2016 and look at them now.  This Packer teams can do a quick retooling and be competitive again while Rodgers is great.  With that being said Gutekunst needs to have much better drafts than TT did his last few years.  I think he took a step in the right direction with this past draft.  Need to keep building on that and of course a new head coach that's dialed into the modern NFL.
Not really a comment about his ability, more about circumstance. Brees is older than Rodgers, but doesn't have his injury history. I'm not sure how much longer Rodgers  can keep at it. Plus, the Packers are in the same division as the bears, who look like they can dominate the North for the next five years or so.

Maybe Green Bay can turn it around, but they're going to need serious help on the offensive line. And they're going to need a pass rush and a more dominant defense. But drafting quality defensive players hasn't really been their strong suit.

I may not football expert but I know what I see in Rodgers' performance this year... This man is done this year particularly with McCarthy's offensive scheme.  Every time I see snapping the ball, he always go to his first read, which is Adams.  If he gets covered, then Rodgers would goes off-script by scrambling in sandlot style.  The Rodgers of old would not have miss easy throws like potential 2nd TD pass to Adams and short pass to St. Brown

Not really a comment about his ability, more about circumstance. Brees is older than Rodgers, but doesn't have his injury history. I'm not sure how much longer Rodgers  can keep at it. Plus, the Packers are in the same division as the bears, who look like they can dominate the North for the next five years or so.

Maybe Green Bay can turn it around, but they're going to need serious help on the offensive line. And they're going to need a pass rush and a more dominant defense. But drafting quality defensive players hasn't really been their strong suit.
No but that's on TT and he's gone though I fear a season or two too late.  They have some excellent young talent with K Clark, Martinez and Alexander as pro bowl caliber players.  And their offensive line gets a bad rap as Rodgers holds onto the ball too long.  They aren't a bad group.  Bulaga is getting near the end and they could use some depth at guard but it's not in dire straights by any means.  They do have holes for sure.  Badly in need of some pass rushers (mainly on the edge), Safety, Oline and Dline depth and a veteran WR assuming Cobb is not retained.  Seems like a lot but with two 1st rounders next year and a new GM seemingly unafraid to make moves I'm not ready to put a bow on Rodgers' Packer career just yet.

His knee has been an issue all season - but he says he can play through it.  I think it's only really bothered him in a couple of games this season - not too many.
He looks fine. He rolled out and moved up in the pocket a number of times yesterday without so much as a limp. Not trying to be argumentative, but I don't think he needs to be given an excuse. He's still got something like a 21-1 TD/INT ratio. Surrounding talent matters, and he's making his own human mistakes, that's all.

Go on....
I'm not going to go through every loss, so I don't know how inaccurate it is. I do remember one in particular...the last game of the 2013 season, Green Bay vs. Chicago. The bears had a one point lead to start the fourth quarter, and the Packers would go on to win with Rodgers' TD pass to Randall Cobb in the final minute of the game.  

He has always played like this. The offensive scheme or play calls get altered by Rodgers willingness to scramble and wait for the defense to break down, a receiver to become wide open as a result of this.

The difference however is that he had Jordy Nelson a savvy veteran receiver who had been playing with Rodgers for many many years. The communication between the two was excellent so they were on the same page and Nelson would find open space on the scramble drill for Rodgers to get him the ball.

Before Nelson it was Greg Jennings and also James Jones who wasn't that great a WR as shown when he was with another team for a year, but even a washed up Jones was useful to Rodgers, because of the practice time and communication between them.

That just isn't there with the other receivers right now. Maybe Kumerow would be able to do that?

As far as Rodgers unwillingness to dump the ball to the RB when other receivers are not open, its true. I have seen this from him a lot.

The Vikings were giving the Packers the run and dump passes all day. But like a high stakes gambler, he isn't satisfied to take what the defense gives him. He wants to be the hero making the big play. I don't know if any QB has made as many hail mary throws recently as Rodgers.

He doesn't seem as fast when he is scrambling as he used to be. I don't know if that is because of age or because of his knee injury, but he does not seem as fast this year scrambling and escaping the pass rush as he has been. I notice this as a Vikings fan who has been frustrated many many times by Rodgers escaping the pocket and extending plays. This is exactly what Trubisky was doing to the Vikings defense the week before. Rodgers was not as fast escaping the rush as Trubisky was. Rodgers has been that fast in the past.

I think it is pretty likely this is just a bad year for Rodgers and it is mostly about the receivers he has to work with right now than anything else. I do think it is possible he has lost a step as a runner however, and because this has been such a big part of how he plays, if he isn't as fast anymore, he may need to adjust his play style and maybe that will not be as effective for him. That may be what we have been seeing this year.

Deetz on all his family issues?
I only got this from family at Thanksgiving so I'm not up on it all. Apparently he doesn't speak to his brother or parents and his brother really hates him and has been calling him out all week because Rodgers is donating money to California with all the Wildfires and being a spokesperson for it and didn't check up on his mother who is possibly living right in the mess of it? There's some sort of family rift.

https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2018/11/25/aaron-rodgers-family-drama-mars-camp-fire-donations/

also a bunch of articles his EX said about his family in May.

Something's not right, is it his injury lingering? His mental makeup from all his family issues? or likely his coach and talent around him isn't the best.  Who knows. It's been a rough year for the Packers and the schedule gets somewhat easier but the NFC is tough.
This is old news though, no? Year's old. Why would it suddenly be an issue now?

This is old news though, no? Year's old. Why would it suddenly be an issue now?
Guess his brother has been calling him out all week, and his mom was in the middle of all those fires in California. No idea but his family issue is a mess and who knows if the stress is finally getting to him, adding in that his coach is a moron as well.

Guess his brother has been calling him out all week, and his mom was in the middle of all those fires in California. No idea but his family issue is a mess and who knows if the stress is finally getting to him, adding in that his coach is a moron as well.
Looks to me like he's just forcing things that aren't there. This is two games in a row where a good chunk of the offensive blame falls on his shoulders IMO. If he cannot find a way to force himself to drop the ball off to his RBs and make first downs then this thing isn't getting any better. Must make it pretty easy to play defense.

Looks to me like he's just forcing things that aren't there. This is two games in a row where a good chunk of the offensive blame falls on his shoulders IMO. If he cannot find a way to force himself to drop the ball off to his RBs and make first downs then this thing isn't getting any better. Must make it pretty easy to play defense.
I agree, just think there's a bunch of factors all jumbled together. It's weird to see him just not look good.

I only got this from family at Thanksgiving so I'm not up on it all. Apparently he doesn't speak to his brother or parents and his brother really hates him and has been calling him out all week because Rodgers is donating money to California with all the Wildfires and being a spokesperson for it and didn't check up on his mother who is possibly living right in the mess of it? There's some sort of family rift.

https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2018/11/25/aaron-rodgers-family-drama-mars-camp-fire-donations/

also a bunch of articles his EX said about his family in May.
Have also read about that and read others chime in that his mother's house (which Rodgers bought his parents) wasn't even in the evacuation area).  

I have no clue the dynamics of the family and who is at fault or why they don't talk and Id hope no matter what if they were actually close to any danger he would have called...I will say Rodgers has always stated that is his private life and he won't comment.  His brother doesn't seem to have that filter and keeps trying to make a name for himself in odd ways.

I think a bit of opposite...he refuses to force anything and throws it away rather than throwing into tight windows for possible contested passes (even to Adams).

I'm not going to go through every loss, so I don't know how inaccurate it is. I do remember one in particular...the last game of the 2013 season, Green Bay vs. Chicago. The bears had a one point lead to start the fourth quarter, and the Packers would go on to win with Rodgers' TD pass to Randall Cobb in the final minute of the game.  
The stat is "more than one," not "one."

Even though the Cards are pretty good against QB’s for fantasy purposes, this just feels like the spot that Rodgers gets back on track. 

McCarthy's play calling has become stale - has been that way for years now. was a story about this on another site recently. anonymous GMs around the league quoted as saying he's a good coach, but you know what's coming and when.he uses the same formations he's used fo r years.no creativity. McCarthy is doomed. just my 2 cents, but I think he's lost the lockerroom. I don't think players believe in him as their head coach anymore,and I think a lot of that has to do with Rodgers. he seems more coy than ever with press conference Q&A.somethings 'off' here.. 

This thread should be closed and a new one opened Patrick Mahomes is playing the QB position better than anyone...ever.

This thread should be closed and a new one opened Patrick Mahomes is playing the QB position better than anyone...ever.
Steve McNair and Rich Gannon both won NFL MVP. 

Let's give it a season or two (or a decade?) before anointing the next great QB.  Rodgers has been doing it for 14 years.

Cant make a big play coughing the ball up either
Yea this is a tough one. It sure seems like he's not taking enough risks.  359 passes without an INT, 18:1 rate on the year, and twice as many throwaways as any other QB?  He definitely took more chances earlier in his career.  Maybe he's losing his edge.

At the risk of stating the obvious, it clearly takes time for WRs to get used to playing the Packers offense with Rodgers.

If you look at Packers WRs in the Rodgers era, they typically spent 2-3 years learning the ropes before starting.

This was true of players like Nelson and Cobb, and more recently Adams.

This year, with Nelson gone and Cobb injured, you would have expected a guy like Allison to take the next step forward, but he got hurt too.

As a consequence they have been forced to use kids like ESB and MVS way earlier than they would have liked.

Even a Hall of Famer would struggle throwing to raw, low-drafted kids like that.

Users who are viewing this thread