What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Samaje Perine, DEN - Plays Better West of the Mississippi! (1 Viewer)

starting for me as well. his situation ROS looks good, but I am nervous. 

starting over Collins, which is crazy. I may try to find a spot for Collins somewhere

Wouldnt be the first time a Redskins back was a savior for a season. I remember a guy named Ladell Betts, it was the first year fantasy blew up on TV so it was something I remember lots talking about.

I think so.

I'm sitting mkinnon in the league I have him for Dez/Allen.  I think Murray is taking that thing over
My only hesitation there is Detroit and Minnesota play very uptemo and Vegas thinks it will be a close game so there should be a lot of opportunity for McKinnon in the passing game. The touches for McKinnon and Murray have been pretty equal. 

Over the last 5 weeks, Detroit is giving up about 3 more ppg to fantasy RBs than the Giants. 

To me this represents about the right spot for ranking Perine. Wherever McKinnon is, Perine is either a spot above or below. 

My only hesitation there is Detroit and Minnesota play very uptemo and Vegas thinks it will be a close game so there should be a lot of opportunity for McKinnon in the passing game. The touches for McKinnon and Murray have been pretty equal. 

Over the last 5 weeks, Detroit is giving up about 3 more ppg to fantasy RBs than the Giants. 

To me this represents about the right spot for ranking Perine. Wherever McKinnon is, Perine is either a spot above or below. 
McKinnon looks to have ceded all goal line work to Murray so im going to have to disagree. Perine should be ranked above McKinnon by more than a spot or two.

Last edited by a moderator:
If Washington doesn't sign anyone (doesn't look like they will) starting Perine. If they sign Ellington may have to sit him... too many other good options and only 3 spots to play a RB.

starting for me as well. his situation ROS looks good, but I am nervous. 

starting over Collins, which is crazy. I may try to find a spot for Collins somewhere
Talk about crazy, I'm thinking of starting both Perine and Collins and using Coleman in the flex (PPR league) and sitting Jordan Howard against a very stout Eagles D. 

If Washington doesn't sign anyone (doesn't look like they will) starting Perine. If they sign Ellington may have to sit him... too many other good options and only 3 spots to play a RB.
... Perine is still a great start even if they sign Ellington. Ellington would get 3rd and long or 2 minute drill at best.

Talk about crazy, I'm thinking of starting both Perine and Collins and using Coleman in the flex (PPR league) and sitting Jordan Howard against a very stout Eagles D. 

... Perine is still a great start even if they sign Ellington. Ellington would get 3rd and long or 2 minute drill at best.
My backs... 

Latavius Murray @ DET

Alfred Morris vs. LAC (Tyron Smith will play)

Alex Collins vs. HOU

Samaje Perine vs. NYG

Nuts as it is, might have to bench Collins.

You think the Skins could sign Ellington and have him up to speed to see significant game action on Thursday? I don't. If they so sign him, I highly doubt he'd be active for this week.

You think the Skins could sign Ellington and have him up to speed to see significant game action on Thursday? I don't. If they so sign him, I highly doubt he'd be active for this week.
Agree in general that it's hard to bone up on an offense in just a few days, but the RB position seems easier than others in terms of simple gap runs/routes and picking up blitzes called out by the QB at the line. Wouldn't be unheard of to see Ellington (or any other back) active if signed. It would be surprising if that back got a substantial load.

Starting samaje in 12 team 0.5ppr superflex over doug martin, alfred morris, jack doyle, and corey davis

That's not nutz.  You act like Collins is some slam dunk play
A guy getting 20+ touches/goal line work about to go against a very favorable matchup against a terrible team? He kinda is a slam dunk this week.

Byron Marshall will take over as the Redskins' passing-down back following Chris Thompson's season-ending leg injury.

Marshall was signed off the Eagles' practice squad just one week ago. "(He's) a bright kid and willing to learn," coach Jay Gruden said. "He’s not going to have much of a choice. He’s going to have to." The third-down back is a heavily utilized position in Gruden's offense, but Marshall won't simply assume Thompson's lost targets. 
Washington according to reports haven't even looked to contact any RBs or schedule tryouts since it's a short week. That means you can use P freely.

Can we keep this about Perine and not about a guys team who is wiggin out over a player not even on the team yet.
They most likely will claim Ellington, but I am mystified how someone thinks a guy who will be claimed today get in town tomorrow and start learning the book will get lots of playing time on Thursday. Remember, this guy was cut because he isnt really good. On top of it, the unreasonable over-reaction is derailing the thread a bit.

And with Marshall, he will get some looks but this is Perines offense now in the run game.

... who is derailing the thread with OT stuff? Regardless of whom, another RB signed would hurt Perine's ceiling; especially a guy who is one-dimensional and has warts like Perine. Alex Collins himself was in a similar situation until he proved he was capable of not fumbling and catching passes, and he's a much better runner/athlete/pass protector than Perine.

EDIT: Having the guy be Marshall than a seasoned vet is better for Perine because a) Marshall doesn't know the playbook as well as Perine b) Marshall isn't trusted any more than Perine would be. Just go back to midseason signings like Tim Hightower and Justin Forsett (Baltimore and Houston)... a vet RB superior in the pass block game would get a foothold in the backfield and relegate Perine to two downs automatically. 

You are entitled to that OPINION. The bigger issue is why you thought Perine would be a 3 down back to begin with in Grudens offense anyways.

Statorama said:
Please Please Please let it be Christine Michael.  Now THAT would lead to some nice chatter
Nah... now if Josh Gordon was waived by the Browns, decided to switch to RB, and was signed by Washington? THERE'S your chatter!

Is it simply impossible that Perine winds up being a three-down back that catches four or five passes a game? I've been holding onto Ajayi in a short bench, half PPR league, but I'm half tempted to drop him and take the plunge here for a potential stud the rest of the way.

Is it simply impossible that Perine winds up being a three-down back that catches four or five passes a game? I've been holding onto Ajayi in a short bench, half PPR league, but I'm half tempted to drop him and take the plunge here for a potential stud the rest of the way.
Byron Marshall will be assuming the passing downs. I do not think Perine will get much work in the passing game. It's possible this week he gets 4-5 targets. Whether that amounts ot catches is a different story. Given WAS has never really used 1 back for everything I don't think that changes now. How much offense Marshall understands , how good he is at pass pro, and/or how good is is in general is a different discussion for a different thread. I do think Perine could get some pass work but 4-5 catches a game is a big reach IMO

This week I'd feel good about starting Perine. I am starting him over Ajayi, Crowell, AA. I am expecting 15+ points weekly from this guy as long as he doesn't turn back into a pumpkin. The volume we all assume he will get makes him an automatic RB2 at least. I cant' say the same for any of the other 3 I'm benching this week. 

Byron Marshall will be assuming the passing downs. I do not think Perine will get much work in the passing game. It's possible this week he gets 4-5 targets. Whether that amounts ot catches is a different story. Given WAS has never really used 1 back for everything I don't think that changes now. How much offense Marshall understands , how good he is at pass pro, and/or how good is is in general is a different discussion for a different thread. I do think Perine could get some pass work but 4-5 catches a game is a big reach IMO

This week I'd feel good about starting Perine. I am starting him over Ajayi, Crowell, AA. I am expecting 15+ points weekly from this guy as long as he doesn't turn back into a pumpkin. The volume we all assume he will get makes him an automatic RB2 at least. I cant' say the same for any of the other 3 I'm benching this week. 
Ugh. I may hold onto Ajayi and see if this weekend provides any hope for the future before I make a play for Perine.

No surprise here. There’s nothing in his college career or YTD that would suggest he’ll be a 3-down guy beyond this emergency situation short week.

Why would that make anyone hesitant? You thought he was Bell or Gurley? How many 3 down backs exist in the NFL?

I think so.

I'm sitting mkinnon in the league I have him for Dez/Allen.  I think Murray is taking that thing over
I was listening to Murray mic'd up and he definitely seems more confident now than he was early on in the season. He even tells Jet to sit down after he scored a TD in mocking fun/competition between them.

He has scored TDs the last two weeks while McKInnons opportunities in the red zone have been loss of yards.

I am still a bit on the fence here as I think McKinnon may end up having better days in games ahead still, possibly in tomorrows game against the Lions. Zimmer has said all along that the two RB would have better days and be used more based on match up. I don't think that has changed, but the goal line work does seem to be going to Murray now at least.

I was listening to Murray mic'd up and he definitely seems more confident now than he was early on in the season. He even tells Jet to sit down after he scored a TD in mocking fun/competition between them.

He has scored TDs the last two weeks while McKInnons opportunities in the red zone have been loss of yards.

I am still a bit on the fence here as I think McKinnon may end up having better days in games ahead still, possibly in tomorrows game against the Lions. Zimmer has said all along that the two RB would have better days and be used more based on match up. I don't think that has changed, but the goal line work does seem to be going to Murray now at least.
yeah pretty much the only thing that has changed is mkinnon being a must start

I don't think it is likely, but I also wouldn't say its impossible.

Perine has shown he can catch the ball pretty well on a few occasions already. I recall the coaches talking about there were pleasantly surprised with how well he was doing as a receiver early on in the season, even though they were unhappy with him about the fumbles at the same time.

He has caught 7 of his 8 targets so far and is averaging 9.1 yards per reception on them which is above average. It was hard to evaluate him as a receiver in college as they obviously preferred Mixon in that role over Perine which limited his opportunities to be used in that way. His college receiving stats are not that bad though, just not the same volume as Mixon was getting.

As far as dumping Ajayi for him that is a tough call. So far Jay hasn't been getting the same level of opportunity as Perine looks like he will have. I do think Ajayi is more talented than Perine though. Honestly I wonder if there isn't someone else you could drop instead. I do think Perine is a must add if someone else in your league hasn't scooped him up already.

What is your basis for thinking this?
John Keim at ESPN

Marshall will replace Thompson as the third-down back, a difficult task. Marshall played receiver, so he can catch the ball and run routes. But it takes more than that: It’s about knowing how to run routes from multiple spots and how to make decisions on the fly. It’s about being able to protect the passer, a role Thompson performed well.

The description of Marshall’s talent lends itself toward a third-down role: Good speed, quickness, hands. The reality is, he’s a second-year back with 20 career carries and three receptions.

“We shall find out, won’t we?” Redskins coach Jay Gruden said, smiling, when asked whether Marshall was capable of handling this role. “But he’s a bright kid and willing to learn. He’s not going to have much of a choice. He’s going to have to.”

I will believe it when I see it with Marshall.  I am confidently starting perine
I completely agree. I don't put much stock into that quote above, but it is a statement that someone else will be getting passing work. A concern none-the-less but I am on board with you as well. 

To be honest, Keim is just assuming like all of us, sure he has a pulse but they wont just throw this guy out there, he still doesnt know the offense well and its about pass pro on 3rd down too like he said. If he cant do that, he wont play but a few snaps. Why is it people almost try to talk themselves into bad news?

To be honest, Keim is just assuming like all of us, sure he has a pulse but they wont just throw this guy out there, he still doesnt know the offense well and its about pass pro on 3rd down too like he said. If he cant do that, he wont play but a few snaps. Why is it people almost try to talk themselves into bad news?
Not talking myself into it, just going off what FBG reported and what I read :shrug:  Take it for what it's worth

I read a report to expect Ajayi to handle more carries before last game...

Then he got less.

Things are not always what are reported to us.

Users who are viewing this thread