What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Samaje Perine, DEN - Plays Better West of the Mississippi! (4 Viewers)

Update: The #Broncos are signing free agent RB Samaje Perine to a 2-year deal worth $7.5M, per
@MikeGarafolo

if you are a Javonte Owner this is exactly what you want…Perine is an excellent role player but not a threat to do too much damage if Javonte can return to form…he will be a complimentary back and do a good job but he is much less of a potential threat than a higher-end rookie.
If that’s the only back they bring in, yes I agree.

If they bring in others, or draft one high, it paints a different picture.

That all said, I’m hoping this means a larger role for Chris Evans, who was reportedly in for a larger role last year but got hurt.

Broncos GM George Paton said Samaje Perine "can be a starter" while Javonte Williams (knee) recovers from torn ACL.​

The Broncos signed Perine to a two-year contract worth $7.5 million early this offseason, as they look to re-build a backfield riddled by injuries and aging veterans. Following the injury to Williams last season, the Broncos deployed a mixture of Latavius Murray, Melvin Gordon, Marlon Mack, and Chase Edmonds, with Murray leading the team in rushing (160-703-5). None of the above players are on the Broncos' roster at this time, as Perine appears slated for a lead role while Williams works his way back. Paton also added that the team likes Murray, but didn't suggest anything about bringing him back at this time.
RELATED:
SOURCE: Chris Tomasson on Twitter
Mar 27, 2023, 3:35 PM ET

Broncos HC Sean Payton reiterated the team believes RB Samaje Perine can play all three downs.​

Payton, when asked about running back Javonte Williams' health heading into the season, shrugged off the question by reiterating that the team feels comfortable with recent free agent addition Samaje Perine. He went on to say that he feels Perine can be an every-down back in the league. Earlier in the interview, Payton stated that Williams "hopefully, might not" need a trip to the PUP list to start the season. With the depth chart behind Perine extremely thin at the running back position, things are shaping up for a potential heavy workload for Perine to start the year should Williams not make it back from his devastating knee injury in time for the start of the season.
RELATED:
May 13, 2023, 4:40 PM ET

Broncos HC Sean Payton reiterated the team believes RB Samaje Perine can play all three downs.​

Payton, when asked about running back Javonte Williams' health heading into the season, shrugged off the question by reiterating that the team feels comfortable with recent free agent addition Samaje Perine. He went on to say that he feels Perine can be an every-down back in the league. Earlier in the interview, Payton stated that Williams "hopefully, might not" need a trip to the PUP list to start the season. With the depth chart behind Perine extremely thin at the running back position, things are shaping up for a potential heavy workload for Perine to start the year should Williams not make it back from his devastating knee injury in time for the start of the season.
RELATED:
May 13, 2023, 4:40 PM ET
Of course he can play all 3 downs but I don’t believe Payton wants him as as anything more than a solid backup guy.

The Athletic's Nick Kosmider reports RB Samaje Perine will have a "significant role" in the Broncos offense.

The Perine hype train keeps chugging along as Javonte Williams recovers from a major knee injury he suffered last fall -- one that could keep him sidelined or limited to start the 2023 regular season. Kosmider believes Perine, 27, is in for his biggest backfield workload since his rookie season with Washington, when he totaled 782 yards on 197 touches. Perine, Kosmider said, "should be a fixture" in the Denver offense regardless of Williams' health. Head coach Sean Payton has a long history of divvying up the backfield. During Payton’s 15 seasons as Saints head coach, the team's second-leading rusher had more than 95 carries 11 times. “We signed him because we knew he was durable and reliable," Payton said of Perine. "We felt like we got another solid runner who’s built in a strong way. There are a lot of things he does well. When we signed him, there was still uncertainty (with Williams). I was taught a long time ago to stack them up at that position. It’s a tough position in our league." Perine is a solid redraft target for fantasy managers who largely fade running back in the opening rounds.
RELATED:
SOURCE: The Athletic
May 19, 2023, 10:05 AM ET

The Athletic's Nick Kosmider reports RB Samaje Perine will have a "significant role" in the Broncos offense.

The Perine hype train keeps chugging along as Javonte Williams recovers from a major knee injury he suffered last fall -- one that could keep him sidelined or limited to start the 2023 regular season. Kosmider believes Perine, 27, is in for his biggest backfield workload since his rookie season with Washington, when he totaled 782 yards on 197 touches. Perine, Kosmider said, "should be a fixture" in the Denver offense regardless of Williams' health. Head coach Sean Payton has a long history of divvying up the backfield. During Payton’s 15 seasons as Saints head coach, the team's second-leading rusher had more than 95 carries 11 times. “We signed him because we knew he was durable and reliable," Payton said of Perine. "We felt like we got another solid runner who’s built in a strong way. There are a lot of things he does well. When we signed him, there was still uncertainty (with Williams). I was taught a long time ago to stack them up at that position. It’s a tough position in our league." Perine is a solid redraft target for fantasy managers who largely fade running back in the opening rounds.
RELATED:
SOURCE: The Athletic
May 19, 2023, 10:05 AM ET
Precamp hype is always nice, but outside of Kamara do you really want any part of a sean payton backfield? Only way the "touch" scheme isn't 40/30/30 is if 2 RBs are hurt.

Price check in dynasty?
Just paid 3.09 pick in Rookie Draft. He was a FA and sitting there... It was between him & Sean Tucker as my last pick.
Currently 12 Team 1QB PPR, and Rosters are 30 until Aug when cut to 25

FWIW... KTC has Perine worth 3.02

Last edited:
It's been very quiet in here. How is everyone feeling about Perine with Javonte looking like he's on track to not miss any time?

RB2 potential. Same place he was coming into the week. New coach made two RBs viable in the past, and who's to say Javonte stays healthy / is himself?

Perine has never had more than 100 carries in a season in his NFL career. here's betting that trend continues. Watch denver trade for a guy like Michael Carter or some other decent RB like that. you depending on Perine to be 'the guy' should Javonte be unable to carry the load, is like bringing a knife to a gun fight. Perine is a JAG's JAG.

@OU#1 could you please update the thread title to Denver?

As far as how this plays out in Denver I think Javonte Williams is presenting really nice value in redraft leagues right now.

When I was reviewing RB stats in relation to another conversation I was having in the ETN thread, I was pretty impressed with the numbers Williams put up before he was injured.

I was somewhat on the fence about him as a prospect, so I don't have any take lock type bias for Williams either.

I have watched Perine as a rookie prospect more than I have Williams as a rookie or a pro, and I was pretty high on Perine as a prospect, although I had some doubts about him as well. I saw signs of Perine maybe declining in ability even before he got to the NFL. To me he has been a dissapointment as a pro player compared to what I thought he might be with a glass half full perspective of him in college.

I am somewhat surprised by him remaining relevant this long. I was even more surprised to hear some talk about him being a good receiving option from posters here in criticism and comparison to Dalvin Cook. Which is borderline bizzaro world to me.

That said Peyton does have a history of using RBBC and I really havent watched Williams enough to have a strong opinion about his talent.

It just seems to me that Williams has a chance to be a special RB, while I am pretty certain Perine isnt.

I agree with RB2 potential with RB1 potential if Javonte gets hurt again. Perine was a reliable flex option last year and money when Mixon got hurt.

Everything is telling me Perine is a super sneaky play this week. They play Vegas, Javonte will likely be eased back in, I'm actually considering plugging him in over Pierce week 1. Obviously Pierce is the safer play, but my gut says Perine has a great game.
Noooooooooooooo! First week and debating if I should put him in my flex spot for reason you stated.

Watch me get it wrong and he goes off week 1.

I hate fantasy football.

IMO there are a lot of people way over-interpreting the Javonte Williams "eased-in" comments.

Sure, he'll have a pitch count. Probably some sort of green/yellow/red light number of touches or snaps.

But Williams had seven touches in two drives in his lone preseason appearance...when Payton said beforehand that he'd get 3-4.

So if it's 3rd and goal from the 2-yd line in the last 2 mins, and Javonte has had 15 productive touches in the game, which DEN RB do you expect Sean Payton to give the ball to?

Last edited:
IMO there are a lot of people way over-interpreting the Javonte Williams "eased-in" comments.

Sure, he'll have a pitch count. Probably some sort of green/yellow/red light number of touches or snaps.

But Williams had seven touches in two drives in his lone preseason appearance...when Payton said beforehand that he'd get 3-4.

So if it's 3rd and goal from the 2-yd line in the last 2 mins, and Javonte has had 15 productive touches in the game, which DEN RB do you expect Sean Payton to give the ball to?
His injury was much more severe than Breece Hall's. Like, really really bad to the point he might not be the same player ever again. It affects lateral movements especially, cuts, jukes, etc so your analogy of 3rd and 2 might be accurate as his North/South ability will be less affected. However it SHOULD impact him overall on his touches for a while. Only one guy came back from this injury and popped off, and that was ADP. His 'big role' is coach speak and isn't quantifiable. Though, he could be the exception like ADP was, I'm not betting on it Week 1. Lots of answers will be made on a lot of players this opening week.

His injury was much more severe than Breece Hall's. Like, really really bad to the point he might not be the same player ever again. It affects lateral movements especially, cuts, jukes, etc so your analogy of 3rd and 2 might be accurate as his North/South ability will be less affected. However it SHOULD impact him overall on his touches for a while. Only one guy came back from this injury and popped off, and that was ADP. His 'big role' is coach speak and isn't quantifiable. Though, he could be the exception like ADP was, I'm not betting on it Week 1. Lots of answers will be made on a lot of players this opening week.
What exactly do you expect in terms of touch ratio between Perine and Williams?

That's really the only thing that matters. Not semantics like "big role" or "popping off," or other non-quantifiable analogies.

I'm not optimistic about Perine absent an injury to Williams. He will sit on my bench for a couple of weeks at least while we find out though.

I’ll believe it when I see it. However, I ain’t buying it. As a Perine owner, I’m more concerned about the amount of work McLaughlin might take from the both of them,
Ahhh, there it is.
Not counting on Perine for anything. He’s simply a lottery ticket:/bench depth because as I said, I’ll believe JWilliams getting “significant” work when I see it. As a betting man, I’ll take the odds coming off of that injury. Didn’t see any better value at the end of the 9th round. So, there you have it. There it is.

Last edited:
I’ll believe it when I see it. However, I ain’t buying it. As a Perine owner, I’m more concerned about the amount of work McLaughlin might take from the both of them,
Was seven touches in two drives in his very first appearance in nearly a year "coach speak?"

How exactly would you quantify "big role?"

What exactly do you expect in terms of touch ratio between Perine and Williams?

That's really the only thing that matters. Not semantics like "big role" or "popping off," or other non-quantifiable analogies.
Yeah I think you're blowing that 7 touches WAY out of proportion to importance like a lot of people do on small preseason sample sizes. He was given a workload that would test the knee, simple as that. And he didn't look all that great during it imo. The exact ratio is a crapshoot but I'd say close to 50/50 depending on how the knee feels.

Was seven touches in two drives in his very first appearance in nearly a year "coach speak?"

How exactly would you quantify "big role?"
That’s funny, that’s the exact number of rushes JK had last year his first game back. The next 8 games didn’t work out so well. Look, I’m not saying it’s impossible. But the odds are against him taking on “significant” work early on, if at all this season. Again, just playing the odds on this one. We shall see, however.

Yeah I think you're blowing that 7 touches WAY out of proportion to importance like a lot of people do on small preseason sample sizes. He was given a workload that would test the knee, simple as that. And he didn't look all that great during it imo. The exact ratio is a crapshoot but I'd say close to 50/50 depending on how the knee feels.
The 7 touches were very significant precisely because getting hit was the last psychological hurdle to overcome in Williams' recovery. And physically he looked just fine. Next hurdle is workload.

50/50 is not unreasonable, although I'm more 60/40 Williams up to a defined limit (e.g. 15-16 touches) before Perine takes over.

But if it's 50/50 I simply don't understand why so many think Perine is a better play is my whole point.

The 7 touches were very significant precisely because getting hit was the last psychological hurdle to overcome in Williams' recovery. And physically he looked just fine. Next hurdle is workload.

50/50 is not unreasonable, although I'm more 60/40 Williams up to a defined limit (e.g. 15-16 touches) before Perine takes over.

But if it's 50/50 I simply don't understand why so many think Perine is a better play is my whole point.
50/50 is if everything goes well. The chance that it could be much less is higher than it could be much more which is why I see Perine as a sneaky play and I might end up needing to put my money where my mouth is now that C.Watson tweaked his hammy.

50/50 is if everything goes well. The chance that it could be much less is higher than it could be much more which is why I see Perine as a sneaky play and I might end up needing to put my money where my mouth is now that C.Watson tweaked his hammy.
I can understand the caution, but Javonte Williams' recovery has been ahead of schedule on every single metric to date (attending OTA's, attending minicamp, starting training camp off the PUP, getting starter reps in TC, starting and playing in a meaningful. preseason game).

Nor has Sean Payton made a "coach speak" statement to date about his recovery that wasn't true or factual (e.g. "we expect him to start TC not on PUP").

So IMO 50/50+ for Williams is just another the next milestone that has no actual data to refute it from being an expectation.

Whoever is playing the Taysom Hill role in Denver 🫣😂

I’m not sure people are are saying that at 50/50 Perine is a better play than Williams. I think they are saying if it’s 50/50 then Perine may be a better play over other depth options on their roster.

Samaje Perine rushed eight times for 41 yards in the Broncos’ Week 1 loss to the Raiders, adding 37 yards on four receptions.

Perine led the team in receiving on a night the offense was largely confined to short area work. It is likely that propensity was induced by the lack of legitimate pass-catchers considering the absence of wide receiver Jerry Jeudy and early departure from tight end Greg Dulcich, meaning the Broncos have time to fix their downfield woes. Perine should continue to operate in a change of pace and third-down role for a team still trying to find their identity under new head coach Sean Payton.

- Rotoworld

Was hoping the thread bump was an update on his knee. Karma be damned, I'm rooting for the injury to knock him out. Perine must die so Jaleel can live!

ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports Samaje Perine (knee) is expected to play in Week 14 against the Chargers.

was listed as questionable with a knee issue, though he never seemed to be at risk of missing time because of it. Perine has operated as the two-minute drill back for the Broncos but doesn’t see much work between the tackles. He is a deep cut FLEX option in PPR leagues, but fantasy managers can likely do better off the waiver wire.

Users who are viewing this thread