What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Shingles - Body kind, not roofing (2 Viewers)

Just got my diagnosis this morning. Thought I had strep throat. The rash broke out last night and it is gruesome. I’m not the best looking guy so I hope the rash on my chin and mouth don’t produce scars. Right now the worst is the postule on the bottom of my tongue. It’s worse than it sounds. Pain and itch are tolerable though the headaches and toothaches haven’t been fun.
You vaccinated?  

Not vaccinated. I’m not old enough. Oh, I forgot to mention that this is day number one of my spring vacation in Florida with my two-year old. The perfect storm.

I am 45 and recently went through shingles.  I am also too young for vaccination.  My doctor said it will take months to notice an improvement, but he recommended to use Mederma and it should help the scars fade.

QuizGuy66 said:
Um you're not hanging around your son are you?  Did you check with the doctor about that? 
It’s my daughter and she’s been vaccinated for chicken pox so no worries. Thanks for your concern though.

Been over three years since my case when I was 54.  It was pretty bad and ran from mid-back around to my sternum.  Probably about 10-12 inches top to bottom as well, so it was rather extensive.  Had sensitivity issues for about two years.  It wasn't terrible like when the shingles first broke out, but it was noticeable.  I thought I'd be one of those people who feel it throughout their lifetimes but now I don't even notice.  No scarring, so hopefully that suggests that other won't scar as well.  

Um you're not hanging around your son are you?  Did you check with the doctor about that? 
When I had them last summer, I managed to avoid spreading them to our newborn...but I did share them with my boss who never had chicken pox as a kid or the vaccination!  

Looks like there's a new vaccine that you can get when you're 50.
I've been asking for a shingles vaccine since 50 and the answer has always been I'm too young. The magical age is 60. The reason given is your chances of shingles increases with age and you can only get 1 more shot after a certain amount of time. 

This changes things. I'm bringing this up to my pcp on Wed when I see her for my every 4 mo visit. Thanks for the info!

Last edited by a moderator:
We had a hail storm last month.  My insurance adjuster came Wednesday and said I need a new roof. Thursday, I'm diagnosed with shingles.  This cannot be a coincidence!

I've heard all the horror stories, and I appear to have the most mundane case in history.  I have only minor pain along with itching and burning.  I have no fetid and festering pustules (I just wanted to say "pustules"), just some small red blisters that are easily irritated.  

A lady at work who had it and said it was excruciating thinks I am the toughest, most pain tolerant person in the world, but it honestly isn't a big deal so far.  I promise if it was I would be gulping down every pill within arms reach with an "oxy" or "hydro" prefix.

Also, it's on my lower back, which is not a particularly sensitive area. It's also, quite frankly, not my most appealing physical attribute so no big deal.  Like others, I prefer not wearing a shirt.  Sorry about the glare.  I should get some sun.

Just got diagnosed with this today after 2 days of intense pain and 4 different doctor offices. It's on my neck and shoulder. Felt like someone was stabbing right below my ear, from inside out. Hoping it goes away fast
This place needs a "that sucks" choice on that emoticon thingie.  Get well soon.

The anti vitals are working on day two. Today is first day I woke up with light pain instead of heavy. 

Men, if you're 50 go to your doc and insist on a shingles vaccine shot. Terry Bradshaw wasn't kidding

Oh so now its affecting a nerve on my face, half my face is partially paralyzed. Nice disease you got there

I had it a couple years ago, mild case on my back.  Hurt a little but not much else.  

My Bro in Law had it on his head couple months ago.  Had pain but not much else.  

We are both in our 40s so no vaccine yet I guess.

Got them in 8th grade and was sick for like a week, but I just played Nintendo and Sega instead of going to school so it was actually a fun week.  No big deal for me.  I'd imagine each case is different.

Last edited by a moderator:
Update. Last week I lost nerve control of the right half my face. No blinking, no cheek movement, no taste or tongue control. They put me on steroids for a week and I had my follow up today.

Doc is encouraged at some progress with nerve recovery. The pain is mostly gone as is the rash. So no more drugs. I'm not communicable. If no more improvement over the next week or two on my face muscles, then I'll have to go see a neurologist. But she thinks it will clear up. So I'm optimistic. 

Please, get your shingles vaccine. You don't want this

Got them in 8th grade and was sick for like a week, but I just played Nintendo and Sega instead of going to school so it was actually a fun week.  No big deal for me.  I'd imagine each case is different.
Are you sure you didn't have chicken pox?  Eighth grade is a bit young for shingles.

Are you sure you didn't have chicken pox?  Eighth grade is a bit young for shingles.
Yep, had chicken pox at 5 years old...School Nurse was confused because she had never seen Shingles at the school before(she had been there like 20 years), but that's what she thought it was...so we had to go to primary physician to verify.

My case was pretty unique.

Yep, had chicken pox at 5 years old...School Nurse was confused because she had never seen Shingles at the school before(she had been there like 20 years), but that's what she thought it was...so we had to go to primary physician to verify.

WELL LOOK AT YOU!

Wow.  I bet the doctor was stunned.

The nurse guessed by looking and the datapoints(that I had already had chicken pox).

The Doctor did tests but we're talking about 35 years ago, so I really don't recall.
I only asked because there weren’t good tests for definitive diagnosis of shingles until relatively recently. Typically, it was (and still is) a clinical diagnosis. But there are other diseases that cause a similar rash. 

Although shingles can occur in otherwise healthy kids, it’s pretty rare. In the absence of a definitive diagnosis, a misdiagnosis is probably equally likely.

tommyboy said:
Update. Last week I lost nerve control of the right half my face. No blinking, no cheek movement, no taste or tongue control. They put me on steroids for a week and I had my follow up today.

Doc is encouraged at some progress with nerve recovery. The pain is mostly gone as is the rash. So no more drugs. I'm not communicable. If no more improvement over the next week or two on my face muscles, then I'll have to go see a neurologist. But she thinks it will clear up. So I'm optimistic. 

Please, get your shingles vaccine. You don't want this
Damn that really sucks!

I discovered two days before Christmas 2018 that I had shingles.  It was really weird, a stabbing pain in the back, rash on the right side of my back running in a straight line to the front of my chest under the rib cage.   The pain & rash lasted about 4 weeks or so but it was a relatively mild case, nothing like you are experiencing.

I had been on the waiting list for the 2-shot vaccine for about 2 years.  A couple months after the rash subsided they bumped me to the top of the list and I've had both shots now.  Hopefully that will protect from getting it again.

I hope all goes well for you...

I only asked because there weren’t good tests for definitive diagnosis of shingles until relatively recently. Typically, it was (and still is) a clinical diagnosis. But there are other diseases that cause a similar rash. 

Although shingles can occur in otherwise healthy kids, it’s pretty rare. In the absence of a definitive diagnosis, a misdiagnosis is probably equally likely.
interesting, I can't even recall how they treated it.

Update: not sure if I mentioned the total paralysis of the right side of my face. I couldn't eat solid food, or taste anything, no blinking or eyebrow movement, no control on lips making words. Basically tried not to talk much, etc.

Yesterday was the first day I could move my eyebrow and close my eyelid about 70%. I have regained 70% of my mouth control as well as taste.

It appears I'm on the mend. Thank goodness, what a crappy disease.

Get your vaccine

Update: not sure if I mentioned the total paralysis of the right side of my face. I couldn't eat solid food, or taste anything, no blinking or eyebrow movement, no control on lips making words. Basically tried not to talk much, etc.

Yesterday was the first day I could move my eyebrow and close my eyelid about 70%. I have regained 70% of my mouth control as well as taste.

It appears I'm on the mend. Thank goodness, what a crappy disease.

Get your vaccine
That's good news.  Very good news.

Valtrex, which wasn’t FDA approved until 1995. Or acyclovir, which was available about a decade earlier.
Hey there.  Any reason NOT to get the shingles vaccine?  Pharmacist informed me yesterday that my primary sent her a scrip for me to get it.  I didn't even know.  Anyway, she said I can get the shot right there at Rite Aid.  Then another in two months.  Must be Shingrix, no?  50, had chicken pox as a kid.  Planning on going back today and get it, but I did see some blurbs on the web about having a strong immune system and being healthy prior to the shot.  Then this whole virus thing crossed my mind as well.  Thoughts?

BTW, good to see the OP came out okay, that sounded awful.

Hey there.  Any reason NOT to get the shingles vaccine?  Pharmacist informed me yesterday that my primary sent her a scrip for me to get it.  I didn't even know.  Anyway, she said I can get the shot right there at Rite Aid.  Then another in two months.  Must be Shingrix, no?  50, had chicken pox as a kid.  Planning on going back today and get it, but I did see some blurbs on the web about having a strong immune system and being healthy prior to the shot.  Then this whole virus thing crossed my mind as well.  Thoughts?

Allergy to one of the vaccine's components or active shingles. Shingrix is preferred.

Visited my primary yesterday and she ordered the vaccine for me as well.  I was surprised to hear when she told me the pharmacist would administer it.  I haven't researched it at all, but was planning to get it.

Diagnosed this morning. Started as 3 bumps on my abdomen a few days ago. I thought a spider bit me while I slept or something. Next day it was 4 bumps. Then it blew up some. It's not terrible so far, but I feel very drained. I feel like I was kicked in the ribs and back simultaneously. The pain is about a 4, which is just enough to keep me from getting decent rest. Doc said to just take tylenol, but if this doesn't improve, I'm going to need something stronger just to be able to sleep.

Diagnosed this morning. Started as 3 bumps on my abdomen a few days ago. I thought a spider bit me while I slept or something. Next day it was 4 bumps. Then it blew up some. It's not terrible so far, but I feel very drained. I feel like I was kicked in the ribs and back simultaneously. The pain is about a 4, which is just enough to keep me from getting decent rest. Doc said to just take tylenol, but if this doesn't improve, I'm going to need something stronger just to be able to sleep.
Not great timing.  Sorry about that.

Wife got this about 3 months ago. It’s been awful. The doctor didn’t put you on any other medication? My wife got on something that was supposed to reduce the duration and symptoms. Not sure it did much though.

Wife got this about 3 months ago. It’s been awful. The doctor didn’t put you on any other medication? My wife got on something that was supposed to reduce the duration and symptoms. Not sure it did much though.
Yeah, I'm on an antiviral too, but he said it won't do much. It just has to run its course.

I'm 57. My doctor recommended the shingles vaccine. Any downside to getting it? Negative effect, etc.

You get the two shots, separated by however many months, and then never again?
No. Lasts ~ 4 years.   90% effective at catching AND (your favorite :P ) llessen the nerve severity if you do happen to catch it..... Not kidding :)

Users who are viewing this thread