What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FFA Official Horror Movie Thread (1 Viewer)

Last few years I have seen a lot of the found footage stuff, too. Some real real terrible ones out there, but always nice to come across a good one.
I think I mentioned it before, but I really dug The Bay. Thought it did a good job of showing what was going on in different ways - cell phones, police cameras, security cameras, etc.. [Rec] is probably my favorite of the genre, but have enjoyed a few others. Like you said, they are very hit or miss. Liked Grave Encounters, a couple of the Paranormal Activity movies. Hated a couple of the other Paranormal Activity movies and the V/H/S movies.
The Bay was really good. Grave Encounters was surprisingly good. REC, REC 2, and even somewhat REC 3 are good. REC 4 was on a ship, and just stupid, but I got a little enjoyment out of it at least.

Paranormal Activity was good, basically every sequel was bad.

I liked VHS, sequels not so much.

I have seen a lot of them, but a couple I think are worth a watch:

The Last Broadcast (made right when Blair Witch was made and got no pub)

Troll Hunter

The Last Exorcism

Cloverfield

Quarantine (for the people who liked REC and hate subtitles)

The Taking of Deborah Logan

Anybody have a go to movie for late night when you are drunk and basically passing out?

Mine is Romero's "Day of the Dead". Can't explain why.

Anybody have a go to movie for late night when you are drunk and basically passing out?

Horror movie? no - the closest I come to this is Revenge of the Nerds.

I guess I do put in Army of Darkness and Cabin in the Woods quite a bit in this state though.

Last few years I have seen a lot of the found footage stuff, too. Some real real terrible ones out there, but always nice to come across a good one.
I think I mentioned it before, but I really dug The Bay. Thought it did a good job of showing what was going on in different ways - cell phones, police cameras, security cameras, etc.. [Rec] is probably my favorite of the genre, but have enjoyed a few others. Like you said, they are very hit or miss. Liked Grave Encounters, a couple of the Paranormal Activity movies. Hated a couple of the other Paranormal Activity movies and the V/H/S movies.
The Bay was really good. Grave Encounters was surprisingly good. REC, REC 2, and even somewhat REC 3 are good. REC 4 was on a ship, and just stupid, but I got a little enjoyment out of it at least.

Troll Hunter

The Last Exorcism

Cloverfield

Still remember watching Cannibal Holocaust and almost losing my meal.

Have you seen Grave Encounters 2? Didn't know if it was worth my time.

Grave Encounters 2 was "meh", but not horrible or anything.

Canibal Holocause was the first movie a watched several years ago when I got into my "looking for the most disturbing movies I can find" phase.

Army of Darkness and Cabin in the Woods, two of my favorites. I can't put these on though or I wouldnt fall asleep

Canibal Holocause was the first movie a watched several years ago when I got into my "looking for the most disturbing movies I can find" phase.

Army of Darkness and Cabin in the Woods, two of my favorites. I can't put these on though or I wouldnt fall asleep
Did that steer you to Martyrs and Frontiers?

:scared:

Have not seen.

However, not in that phase any more :whistle:

Troll Hunter

The Last Exorcism

Cloverfield

liked the last exorcism as well

The Descent & As above so below

late night, drunk no thinking required claustrophobic movies

cant go wrong

The Canal and The Babadook are on netflix and worth a watch. Housebound and Witching & #####ing also on Netflix are more of horror/comedies but enjoyable

Last edited by a moderator:

Troll Hunter

The Last Exorcism

Cloverfield

Really enjoyed both of those (I own them).

Loved 28 days later. Fantastic movie. Probably my favorite zombie flick ever made (and 28 weeks later was high quality as well). You know come to think of it...World War Z was also a pretty damn intense thriller. I thought Pitt was fantastic in it.

I also thought The Bay was great and terrifying.

The Descent & As above so below

late night, drunk no thinking required claustrophobic movies

cant go wrong
The Descent was a great horror movie. You cared about the girls. As Above So Below was a decent little flick IMO. Some crazy creepy moments and a nice build up.

It is clearly for me the best of the entire "Dead" series and yet when it came out it was panned worldwide.

Love that flick. My son really enjoyed it too. Some amazing makeup/gore in that one. They really out did themselves in the final act.

It can be difficult to find good horror flicks on Netflix, but I remember enjoying The Shrine a while ago on there. I'm not sure if it's still there, but I remember it being pretty decent.

Interesting to see some positive discussion about Human Centipede 1 in this thread. I know what it's about, which has caused me not to see it (same with A Serbian Film). I may reconsider if the right people recommend it.

Really liked It Follows. Liked The Babadook as well, but not in a terrifying way.

Saw Insidious 3 and thought it was good, not great.

Looking forward to The Gift and Sinister 2. Gonna pass on The Gallows at the theater. Passed on Poltergeist remake as well.

Incidentally, I have another movie called The Gift on DVD. Also a horror movie and one worth a solid recommendation. Top-flight cast includes Cate Blanchette, Hillary Swank, Keanu Reeves, Greg Kinnear, Gary Cole, and Katie Holmes who, for once, is a plus.

Last edited by a moderator:
I liked the human centipede. Originality is always a plus, and well, it is certainly original.

Well worth a watch if for nothing else you can discuss it with other lucky viewers.

The middle...........

KarmaPolice said:
Have you seen Grave Encounters 2? Didn't know if it was worth my time.
This movie wasn't that good at all IMO. Kind of bummed since the first one was really good.

Have not seen.

However, not in that phase any more :whistle:
Martyrs is that type of movie, so avoid if you aren't in that phase.

But Frontiers is just a good horror flick. It's like The Hills Have Eyes, but French/better.

I am still all about horrific morbid movies on occasion, just not actively seeking the worst of the worst anymore.

For some of the foreign movies, they really do seem to be really good, I just have a hard time getting past the subtitles. I mean, I know how to read, and can read quickly enough, it just takes a lot away IMO.

It Follows was especially good because of the music, mood and atmosphere. It is like an early 1980s horror film.

It's been mentioned in the Netflix thread and I think in its own thread and possibly this one (I haven't read it), but check out The Babadook. It's freaky.

Watched The Canal last night. It was just ok. The birth scene towards the end was pretty messed up.

I'm getting tired of the trope where the ending has you guessing whether the paranrmal stuff was real or just in the main character's mind.

Another one I saw recently is Teeth. It was just ok too, but the premise is pretty damn scary. A girl with teeth in her cooter. :scared:

Psycho, The Omen, Rosemary's Baby (for that time period...), The Amityville Horror, The Blue Elephant, The Birds..... I'm on the fence with the Mist. The book was much better. The Others had a nice twist and was very creepy.
hadn't seen "The Mist" in a while, and forgot about that ending.

damn. just brutal.

Psycho, The Omen, Rosemary's Baby (for that time period...), The Amityville Horror, The Blue Elephant, The Birds..... I'm on the fence with the Mist. The book was much better. The Others had a nice twist and was very creepy.
hadn't seen "The Mist" in a while, and forgot about that ending.

damn. just brutal.
Saw The Mist for the first time last night on IFC. A mixed bad for me. Hard to explain without spoilers so I'll just say I thought the sociological aspects of the film saved it from a thumbs down. I'll agree with Curly and say Thumbs in the Middle.

Apartment 143 - I'm a sucker for found footage paranormal stuff, even the bad ones in some cases, and this definitely falls into that category. This was a really strange movie. A bunch of scientists come in and use technology to record supernatural stuff in a family's apartment. The script really sucks. When the paranormal stuff happens, no one ever acts scared or anything at all. They all just kind of stand around with dumbfounded looks on their faces and go right back to work. The jump scares are predictable too. The only real good part is a seance scene where a hot chick gets possessed, but then at the end of it, the main scientist dude just tells her dad she's schizophrenic. Really?

Users who are viewing this thread