What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*Official 2015 Philadelphia Eagles* - Winning when it doesnt count (6 Viewers)

Maclin not a must, but we do need to bring in a vet WR. Who's available?
Apparently Maclin, Desean, Shady weren't musts.
Trues dat! Iggles can miss the playoffs with or without them! Gonna be tough to add to the trophy case!!!
Okay, Pizzatyme, I don't mind being dissed by Cowboy, Giant, and Redskins fans on the Eagles board, but a Colt's fan?! What's up with that? Are you still upset by Luck's late interception in the Philly game last year? :) I hope Herremans plays good for you guys next year, I always thought he did a pretty good job for the Eagles.

This has been an interesting read

It seems eagles fans, much like myself, are not sure if Chip is a genius, or is just insane. time will tell.

it should be exciting

Trues dat! Iggles can miss the playoffs with or without them! Gonna be tough to add to the trophy case!!!
Okay, Pizzatyme, I don't mind being dissed by Cowboy, Giant, and Redskins fans on the Eagles board, but a Colt's fan?! What's up with that? Are you still upset by Luck's late interception in the Philly game last year? :) I hope Herremans plays good for you guys next year, I always thought he did a pretty good job for the Eagles.
Yea he's gotta go.

I'm not sure how on earth people don't realize that Foles is not athletically competent to run this offense. The playbook is dialed waaaay back when he is behind center.

Whether the answer is Kaep, MM, or some other more-mobile QB....I can say with 100% certainly the answer isn't Foles.
And in the 2 years Kelly has been here the dialed back offense has been the most impressive and took us to the playoffs.
And Foles is 14-4 as an NFL starter.

I'm not sure how on earth people don't realize that Foles is not athletically competent to run this offense. The playbook is dialed waaaay back when he is behind center.

Whether the answer is Kaep, MM, or some other more-mobile QB....I can say with 100% certainly the answer isn't Foles.
And in the 2 years Kelly has been here the dialed back offense has been the most impressive and took us to the playoffs.
Just imagine how good it could be if it wasn't dialed back.

You guys have to stop being scared of the unknown. Go get Mariotta Chip. If it fails, it fails. Nick Foles is good enough to win some regular season games. He might even be good enough to win a few playoff games. He isn't good enough to win a championship.

You guys have to stop being scared of the unknown. Go get Mariotta Chip. If it fails, it fails. Nick Foles is good enough to win some regular season games. He might even be good enough to win a few playoff games. He isn't good enough to win a championship.
Just imagine if we knew it was actually dialed back.

Our 2013 offensive #'s broke all of our records.

Why is it that the guy who want to keep Foles are scared of the unknown. But guys who want Mariota just know our offense will re-break records?

It's not fear, Mike. Its that we dont see the rationale in dealing 5-6-7 guys for 1. if you want a deeper reason why go into one of the Redskins threads and read your own words...

This is exactly where I'm at.

IMO, Chip has proven that his offense works in the NFL and is not merely a "gimmick". Now he has full control, and he's obviously using it which is good. For better or worse, let's see what we have in Chip.

It may work, it may not, but he should be given the chance to find out with the team he wants.

Dr. Octopus said:
Bigboy10182000 said:
IgglesFan said:

Such an overrated stat.. In that case, Trent Dilfer was the best QB in the league in 2000.

I like Foles, I just think he would be better on a more conventional team. I think it is probable that he improves and any possible deal is looked upon poorly in the future. But I don't believe that he will improve to that extent here.

A case could be made for keeping Nick Foles

Bob Ford Posted: Monday, March 9, 2015, 1:08 AM

It's about time somebody said something nice about Nick Foles, and, from what I can tell, there isn't a long line waiting for the chance. So, since he is the starting quarterback of the Philadelphia Eagles until he isn't, here goes:

You could do worse.

I know, I know. That isn't the faint praise fans look for in a quarterback, and now that the We-Want-Mariota pack is in full roar, anything less than the magical reunion of the Oregon quarterback and his genius coach will seem like a broken consolation prize.

Still, it is just as likely that some other team will want Marcus Mariota, too, and will be in position to want him first. Even if the Eagles do intend to make a serious run at Mariota - and there is little more than idle speculation to indicate that is the case - getting him will probably prove either too difficult or too costly or both.

And where will that leave the Eagles? Well, with Nick Foles.

Once again, you could do worse.

Things might feel different if Foles had played his two seasons under Chip Kelly in reverse order. Let's say he started eight games in 2013, and the team won six of them, but his numbers were just so-so and he missed half the season because of a broken collarbone. Then, in 2014, Foles started 10 games, the team won eight of them, his statistics were off the chart - the highest-rated quarterback in the NFL! - and the Eagles made the playoffs for the first time under Kelly.

If that had been the case, the groundswell to replace Foles wouldn't be quite as widespread. And there's no reason - at least not one pertaining to Foles - why it couldn't have just as easily happened that way.

Back to reality: We know that in 2013, Foles was able to play behind a talented offensive line that took virtually every snap together. Partially because of that, and partially because LeSean McCoy had a season for the ages, the Eagles were able to keep opposing defenses guessing with a balanced attack. Additionally, because of the presence of wide receiver DeSean Jackson, defenses also had to respect the deep ball and couldn't clog the lanes near the line of scrimmage.

Foles took advantage and threw for 27 touchdowns, with just two interceptions, and had the third-highest single-season quarterback rating in league history, 119.2. Kelly called for passes on just 52 percent of the offensive plays in which Foles was the quarterback.

What was different a year later? Let's see. The offensive line was in tatters while Foles was the starter. The definition of tatters was probably found in the game at San Francisco when Foles had his worst rating of the season and was playing behind Jason Peters, Matt Tobin, David Molk, Dennis Kelly, and Todd Herremans.

McCoy didn't find the same holes behind that line, and he averaged 3.7 yards per carry in the games before Foles was injured and then 4.6 yards per carry the rest of the year as the offensive line improved. The lack of confidence Kelly had in the running game was never more evident than that day against the 49ers when he called pass plays on third and fourth down from the San Francisco 1-yard line with the outcome in the balance. Both fell incomplete.

Opponents weren't worried about the run. They weren't worried about getting beat on deep passes. They jammed the box to foil Kelly's arsenal of short crossing and slant routes, and they went after Foles.

As a result, his quarterback rating fell to 81.4 and he threw just 13 touchdowns to go with 10 interceptions. He had no one to throw to, and the defenses knew he probably wasn't going to hand off the ball. With Foles at quarterback in 2014, Kelly called for passes 62 percent of the time. In his final start before getting hurt, Foles tied a franchise record with 62 pass attempts against Arizona in a game the Eagles never trailed by more than seven points. (By comparison, in the final, flailing season under Andy Reid, the mad bomber of all-time, the Eagles called for passes on 59 percent of the plays.)

So, what part of all that was the fault of Nick Foles? He certainly made some bad throws and poor decisions, but all quarterbacks are capable of that under duress. What he has showed so far is that he's really good on a solid, balanced team and not as good on a team that has significant holes. Big surprise.

After three seasons in the league, Foles has played in 28 games, with a quarterback rating of 94.2, a completion percentage of 61.6, and has 46 touchdowns to go with 17 interceptions. After Tom Brady's first three seasons in the NFL, he had played in 32 games, with a quarterback rating of 85.8, a completion percentage of 62.6, and had 46 touchdowns to go with 26 interceptions.

Will Foles have a career like Brady? I don't know, but he has so far.

The ultimate irony, of course, would be if he had it somewhere else after the Eagles discarded him in favor of a very good college quarterback who didn't become much more. And, don't kid yourself, it could turn out that way.

Kelly knows what he wants, though, and he might have decided he can do better than Nick Foles. That's fine, but just remember: You can do worse, too.

@ProFootbaIITaIk: Michael Crabtree has agreed to a 5 year, $52 mil contract with the Buffalo #Bills. $32 mil guaranteed. The Bills unwisely continue to spend.

Bigboy10182000 said:
Snotbubbles said:
Bigboy10182000 said:
IgglesFan said:

Why is it that the guy who want to keep Foles are scared of the unknown. But guys who want Mariota just know our offense will re-break records?

It's not fear, Mike. Its that we dont see the rationale in dealing 5-6-7 guys for 1. if you want a deeper reason why go into one of the Redskins threads and read your own words...
The Redskins traded all those players for a guy who they didn't know would be a fit in with their coach and system. I'm not even sure Shanahan wanted that QB. Totally different scenario. But even with 20/20 hindsight, after the Rams/Skins trade, one team has a playoff appearance and one team doesn't.

EDIT: They are breaking all their offensive records due to their pace, not their efficiency.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dr. Octopus said:
Bigboy10182000 said:
IgglesFan said:

Such an overrated stat.. In that case, Trent Dilfer was the best QB in the league in 2000.
No doubt that that's exactly the same thing!

Bigboy10182000 said:
Snotbubbles said:
Bigboy10182000 said:
IgglesFan said:

The Redskins traded all those players for a guy who they didn't know would be a fit in with their coach and system. I'm not even sure Shanahan wanted that QB. Totally different scenario. But even with 20/20 hindsight, after the Rams/Skins trade, one team has a playoff appearance and one team doesn't.

EDIT: They are breaking all their offensive records due to their pace, not their efficiency.
Our coach has said he doesnt run the same system Mariota has been playing in for the past 2 season. Thats not me saying that. That's Chip. So Chip would be drafting a QB that is NOT familiar with his system. Same scenerio. And RG3 graded much higher than Mariota as well I believe.

You couldnt be more wrong with the edit either. The efficiency is exactly the reason why we broke the records and didnt sniff them this past season.

dhockster said:
pizzatyme said:
flapgreen said:
babydemon90 said:
I'm just messin around man. I just get tired of fans becoming spin doctors when they drink the kool-aid too much and turn everything into roses when it's obviously not. Not just the Eagles fans either.

And there were 2 horrible calls back-2-back in our game last year that gifted you guys the win. ;)

Skoo said:
Snotbubbles said:

This is exactly where I'm at.

IMO, Chip has proven that his offense works in the NFL and is not merely a "gimmick". Now he has full control, and he's obviously using it which is good. For better or worse, let's see what we have in Chip.

It may work, it may not, but he should be given the chance to find out with the team he wants.
I'd say the book is still open on whether the offense works over time. Defenses adjust. And when they do this year, many Eagles fans will blame the lack of talent. You can't have it both ways.

rifkin said:
Donny Loved Bowling said:
Feeling both nervous and curious as to what Chip's plans at the WR position are now. Smith is apparently off the market. Crabtree doesn't interest me. Andre Johnson? Meh. The draft is loaded with big receivers, but none for us if we're going after MM. How about RFA Andre Holmes? Oakland put lowest tender on him, won't cost a pick if not matched.
I could see someone like Hakeem Nicks being picked up and doing well or Eddie Royal, obviously no sure things but somepossibilities.
I just threw up a little in my mouth.

Our coach has said he doesnt run the same system Mariota has been playing in for the past 2 season. Thats not me saying that. That's Chip. So Chip would be drafting a QB that is NOT familiar with his system. Same scenerio. And RG3 graded much higher than Mariota as well I believe.

You couldnt be more wrong with the edit either. The efficiency is exactly the reason why we broke the records and didnt sniff them this past season.
I don't care how the experts graded Griffin, the hype was out of control and ignored his personality issues. Mariota has very similar skills to Griffin, can slide, and gosh darn it, people actually like him.

@ProFootbaIITaIk: Michael Crabtree has agreed to a 5 year, $52 mil contract with the Buffalo #Bills. $32 mil guaranteed. The Bills unwisely continue to spend.
Holy ####. You can have him for that. Sheesh. Draft and cap casualties it is then.Ah I see it was fake.

Dr. Octopus said:
Bigboy10182000 said:
IgglesFan said:

I like Foles, I just think he would be better on a more conventional team. I think it is probable that he improves and any possible deal is looked upon poorly in the future. But I don't believe that he will improve to that extent here.
It's over-rated to an extent, but Foles did that with the 17th and 22nd ranked defense the past two years.

Dr. Octopus said:
Bigboy10182000 said:
IgglesFan said:

In what way is that an overrated stat? The Trent Dilfer comp is BS too. Was Dilfer heading a record breaking offense? Because, while going 14-4 as a starter, Foles has done so with a top notch offense and bottom tier defense. He's never been able to rely on his defense limiting the other team to 9 points per game. Doesn't it make SOME sense that if the offense isn't touched, but the defense is significantly upgraded that we'd be a BETTER team?

dhockster said:
pizzatyme said:
flapgreen said:
babydemon90 said:
I'm just messin around man. I just get tired of fans becoming spin doctors when they drink the kool-aid too much and turn everything into roses when it's obviously not. Not just the Eagles fans either.And there were 2 horrible calls back-2-back in our game last year that gifted you guys the win. ;)
Why do you think I mentioned the interception? I knew you would complain about it :)

I don't care how the experts graded Griffin, the hype was out of control and ignored his personality issues. Mariota has very similar skills to Griffin, can slide, and gosh darn it, people actually like him.
The Mariota hype here is bigger than anything I have seen in 37 years of football or any other Philly sport.

Wow that's unbelievable.
Wow that's unbelievable.
Good Lord.

Talk about overpaying....

Wow that's unbelievable.
Wow that's unbelievable.
Good Lord.

:lmao:

I like the Marcus Gilchrist rumor, as he fits the same mold as Jenkins and McCourty.

Also, still hoping for House.
Good lord I hope not. Gilchrist is not good in coverage and Weddle covers up for him. Not even the same factory as Jenkins and McCourty let alone the same mold

Dan Patrick played a clip from Stephen A Smith basically asking if racism plays into Chip Kelly's player moves

complete and utter BS

Wow that's unbelievable.
Wow that's unbelievable.
Good Lord.

:lmao:
I have seen nothing on this anywhere. Is this true?

QB Bret Hundley?

===

Josh Norris retweeted

Gil Brandt @Gil_Brandt · 19m 19 minutes ago
Two things about #Eagles pick: 1) It's not Mariota 2) It's contingent on player still being there (he should be)
===

Josh Norris retweeted

Gil Brandt @Gil_Brandt · 21m 21 minutes ago
I know #Eagles 1st pick in draft. Sealed name in envelope, mailed to colleague @Andy_Fenelon. To be opened 4/30.
IMHO if its a QB its Bryce Petty
Last prediction on his Twitter feed...

Gil Brandt@Gil_Brandt · Mar 7

I think 1st big FA to sign will be Randall Cobb. My guess is it will be with either Jaguars or Raiders.

QB Bret Hundley?

===

Josh Norris retweeted

Two things about #Eagles pick: 1) It's not Mariota 2) It's contingent on player still being there (he should be)
===

Josh Norris retweeted

I know #Eagles 1st pick in draft. Sealed name in envelope, mailed to colleague @Andy_Fenelon. To be opened 4/30.

I think 1st big FA to sign will be Randall Cobb. My guess is it will be with either Jaguars or Raiders.
but did he seal that in an envelope?

Bigboy10182000 said:
Snotbubbles said:
Bigboy10182000 said:
IgglesFan said:

:shrug:

They were 13th in the league in points per possession. That's not efficient.

QB Bret Hundley?

===

Josh Norris retweeted

===

Josh Norris retweeted

dré @Andy_Fenelon · 46m 46 minutes ago

He nailed Bills' EJ Manuel pick month before 2013 draft. RT @Gil_Brandt: I know #Eagles 1st pick in draft.

QB Bret Hundley?

===

Josh Norris retweeted

===

Josh Norris retweeted

Gurley

Users who are viewing this thread