Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Insein

*Official 2015 Philadelphia Eagles* - Winning when it doesnt count

was worried about you creating this topic and having the power to change the title to something like that :P

c'mon, you're the one sick to your stomach about too much Mariota talk, yet are inviting it in here with open arms with that title. Go back to the groceries!

Its like the sun rising. Can't really stop it. All I can do is poke fun at them.

Interesting stats here.

During the super bowl era, only 23 teams have averaged 30ppg over the course of a season. Only 4 of those teams have won the super bowl.

99 Rams, 94 49ers, 98 Broncos and 91 Skins

So if we're scoring 27 and 25 ppg on just offense with "backup" QBs, what is the overall point of having Mariota? Say he gets us over that 30 ppg hump, history shows that's not really a solid formula for winning it all. So why bet the farm on a high risk, low probability of success plan?

Interesting stats here.

During the super bowl era, only 23 teams have averaged 30ppg over the course of a season. Only 4 of those teams have won the super bowl.

So if we're scoring 27 and 25 ppg on just offense with "backup" QBs, what is the overall point of having Mariota? Say he gets us over that 30 ppg hump, history shows that's not really a solid formula for winning it all. So why bet the farm on a high risk, low probability of success plan?

And than there's this:

Pro-ready...probably not a more damning term in all of football. Recent pro-ready QBs are Blaine Gabbert, Jimmy Clausen, Brady Quinn, Blake Bortles, Jake Locker, Matt Barkley, etc.

Honestly other than Andrew Luck, what high pick has worked out at the QB position? Looking at rounds 1 and 2 only

Starting in 2013

1. EJ Manuel - Bust

2. Geno Smith - Bust

1. Luck - Stud

1. RG3 - BUst

1. Tannehill - Decent

1. Weeden - Bust

2. Osweiler - Jury out

1.Newton - Decent

1. Locker - Bust

1. Gabbert - Bust

1. Ponder - Bust

2. Dalton - Decent

2. Kaep - Decent

1. Bradford - Decent when healthy

1. Tebow - Bust

2. Clausen - Bust

2009:

1. Stafford - Stud

1. Sanchez - Bust

1. Freeman - Bust

2. Pat White - Bust

Five drafts worth of 1st and 2nd round QBs, and we have only 2 studs (and I'm being a bit charitable with Stafford there), 5 decent QBs, and 12 busts.

Yikes.

It just doesnt make sense to give up anything for Mariotta IMHO

Interesting stats here.

And than there's this:

Pro-ready...probably not a more damning term in all of football. Recent pro-ready QBs are Blaine Gabbert, Jimmy Clausen, Brady Quinn, Blake Bortles, Jake Locker, Matt Barkley, etc.

Honestly other than Andrew Luck, what high pick has worked out at the QB position? Looking at rounds 1 and 2 only

Starting in 2013

1. EJ Manuel - Bust

2. Geno Smith - Bust

1. Luck - Stud

1. RG3 - BUst

1. Tannehill - Decent

1. Weeden - Bust

2. Osweiler - Jury out

1.Newton - Decent

1. Locker - Bust

1. Gabbert - Bust

1. Ponder - Bust

2. Dalton - Decent

2. Kaep - Decent

1. Tebow - Bust

2. Clausen - Bust

2009:

1. Stafford - Stud

1. Sanchez - Bust

1. Freeman - Bust

2. Pat White - Bust

Five drafts worth of 1st and 2nd round QBs, and we have only 2 studs (and I'm being a bit charitable with Stafford there), 5 decent QBs, and 12 busts.

Yikes.

If you look at other positions I'm sure you'll see similar results in the first round. The difference is a stud QB is worth 10x as much as a stud at any other position.

Interesting stats here.

And than there's this:

Starting in 2013

1. EJ Manuel - Bust

2. Geno Smith - Bust

1. Luck - Stud

1. RG3 - BUst

1. Tannehill - Decent

1. Weeden - Bust

2. Osweiler - Jury out

1.Newton - Decent

1. Locker - Bust

1. Gabbert - Bust

1. Ponder - Bust

2. Dalton - Decent

2. Kaep - Decent

1. Tebow - Bust

2. Clausen - Bust

2009:

1. Stafford - Stud

1. Sanchez - Bust

1. Freeman - Bust

2. Pat White - Bust

Yikes.

If you look at other positions I'm sure you'll see similar results in the first round. The difference is a stud QB is worth 10x as much as a stud at any other position.

Thats about 60% chance you get a bust. And when QB's bust there's nothing else for them to do and they set your team back a few years. If Fletcher Cox were to bust he could still be used as a reserve DL etc.

Given the post I quoted and what Insein said, why give up anything to go get someone?

Interesting stats here.

And than there's this:

Starting in 2013

1. EJ Manuel - Bust

2. Geno Smith - Bust

1. Luck - Stud

1. RG3 - BUst

1. Tannehill - Decent

1. Weeden - Bust

2. Osweiler - Jury out

1.Newton - Decent

1. Locker - Bust

1. Gabbert - Bust

1. Ponder - Bust

2. Dalton - Decent

2. Kaep - Decent

1. Tebow - Bust

2. Clausen - Bust

2009:

1. Stafford - Stud

1. Sanchez - Bust

1. Freeman - Bust

2. Pat White - Bust

Yikes.

These are just teams that took a qb at their spot for the most part (Rg3 aside). Look how bad some of these franchises have been for picking the wrong one.

2 out of 20 can be considered Studs (Stafford is borderline). Do you have confidence that Mariota is in the stud area? So much so to not only take him at your spot but give up everything to get him higher? All for the off chance that he gets you a few more points per game than what we've been scoring? Which again doesn't equate to super bowl success historically.

Interesting stats here.

And than there's this:

Starting in 2013

1. EJ Manuel - Bust

2. Geno Smith - Bust

1. Luck - Stud

1. RG3 - BUst

1. Tannehill - Decent

1. Weeden - Bust

2. Osweiler - Jury out

1.Newton - Decent

1. Locker - Bust

1. Gabbert - Bust

1. Ponder - Bust

2. Dalton - Decent

2. Kaep - Decent

1. Tebow - Bust

2. Clausen - Bust

2009:

1. Stafford - Stud

1. Sanchez - Bust

1. Freeman - Bust

2. Pat White - Bust

Yikes.

These are just teams that took a qb at their spot for the most part (Rg3 aside). Look how bad some of these franchises have been for picking the wrong one.

2 out of 20 can be considered Studs (Stafford is borderline). Do you have confidence that Mariota is in the stud area? So much so to not only take him at your spot but give up everything to get him higher? All for the off chance that he gets you a few more points per game than what we've been scoring? Which again doesn't equate to super bowl success historically.

Exactly! Also what stands out to me is how many of these teams took the first one at the position and got the guy they wanted and how average they are.

This reminds me of the Geno love for last year only to have us pass twice. If/ when Manziel is there we'll pass again and then next year we can talk about what we should do when/ if Marriota is there.

Interesting stats here.

And than there's this:

Starting in 2013

1. EJ Manuel - Bust

2. Geno Smith - Bust

1. Luck - Stud

1. RG3 - BUst

1. Tannehill - Decent

1. Weeden - Bust

2. Osweiler - Jury out

1.Newton - Decent

1. Locker - Bust

1. Gabbert - Bust

1. Ponder - Bust

2. Dalton - Decent

2. Kaep - Decent

1. Tebow - Bust

2. Clausen - Bust

2009:

1. Stafford - Stud

1. Sanchez - Bust

1. Freeman - Bust

2. Pat White - Bust

Yikes.

It's not just a few more points, it's to fully maximize the offense. That keeps the offense on the field longer which limits the amount the defense is on the field. Look at the 2014 Dallas Cowboys. They only scored a few more points per game but the offense limited the exposure the defense had and the Dallas defense was just a bad as the previous season but their suckiness was limited because of how good the Dallas offense was this season. Going to a Mariota-type QB means leaning more heavily on the run again which means more plays per possession, less TOs, less defensive exposure.

This reminds me of the Geno love for last year only to have us pass twice. If/ when Manziel is there we'll pass again and then next year we can talk about what we should do when/ if Marriota is there.

Geno Smith didn't play at Oregon in the exact same system for Chip Kelly, win a Heisman trophy, have the same mental and physical tools or have the same on the field production. Other than that, they're exactly the same.

Geno Smith didn't play at Oregon in the exact same system for Chip Kelly, win a Heisman trophy, have the same mental and physical tools or have the same on the field production. Other than that, they're exactly the same.

Manziel won the Heisman. Kelly wanted him for his offense at Oregon. Still passed and he didn't have to give up anything for him. As efficient as Mariota may be, he won't be year one or even two. So where does that put us?

How many people played at Oregon for Chip? How many on our team? What % is that?

The Heisman trophy? Really?

Exact same system? See the below:

@MattLombardo975: Chip: The perception that Huff can step right in and play is wrong because our offense is totally different from Oregon. #Eagles

Manziel won the Heisman. Kelly wanted him for his offense at Oregon. Still passed and he didn't have to give up anything for him. As efficient as Mariota may be, he won't be year one or even two. So where does that put us?

Manziel didn't have the physical or mental tools Mariota does.

How many people played at Oregon for Chip? How many on our team? What % is that?

@MattLombardo975: Chip: The perception that Huff can step right in and play is wrong because our offense is totally different from Oregon. #Eagles

Different in the sense that Kelly had to change it to fit his QB who can't run so defenses don't have to respect the QB run option.

And for every Fletcher Cox there's three Jaiquawn Jarrett's drafted. I'm with you Snot.

Different in the sense that Kelly had to change it to fit his QB who can't run so defenses don't have to respect the QB run option.

Huff plays WR...

Perceptions that Huff, the WR, can step right in and play is wrong because our offense is totally different from Oregon.

Our offense looked different in 2013 and 2014 with Foles as QB, no?

And for every Fletcher Cox there's three Jaiquawn Jarrett's drafted. I'm with you Snot.

And for every Matthew Stafford there's 10 Christian Ponders.

He passed on him after Foles had an amazing year. After Foles' mediocre year, he may pull the trigger.

I'm against taking Mariota because of what we would have to give up to get him, and because I don't think the delta between him running this offense and Foles running this offense is as great as everyone thinks. My concern is that we have another year of Nick Foles 2014 rather than Nick Foles 2013, go 10-6 and lose a first round playoff game. And another year of Chip Kelly not getting his quarterback. At some point you have to think Chip will start thinking about college again.

As a chip believer that makes me nervous.

I was a big Chip Kelly guy but it seems his system repeatedly gets exposed against quality opponents.

I was a big Chip Kelly guy but it seems his system repeatedly gets exposed against quality opponents.

The system or the talent?

Good point. Except that Christian Ponder sucked.

Fine Jake Locker.

Fine Jake Locker.

:lmao: Mariota probably threw 80 more tds than Locker.

Fine Jake Locker.

Locker was regarded as the #1 overall at one point.

Interesting stats here.

By having Chip, and handing him the reins to both the system and the GM'ing duties, you're already all-in as a franchise on the idea that breaking the traditional rules of success with regards to kind and quantity on offense is the way you've chosen to go.

This just seems in keeping with that.

Fine Jake Locker.

And that puts them on the same talent level? I was curious, Mariota only threw 53 more tds than Jake, in half a season less. But good comparison.

Fine Jake Locker.
And that puts them on the same talent level? I was curious, Mariota only threw 53 more tds than Jake, in half a season less. But good comparison.

You know because college offenses are comparable. I mean Colt McCoy, Colt Brennan, Chad Pennington and Ty Detmer all had more career college TDs than Mariota in about the same amount of games but yea college stats matter.

Prediction: Mariota purposely sucks in his workouts and interviews in order to fall to the Eagles. Chip scoops him up and he's signed to a massive extension in a few years to make up for it.

If there ever was a time for Chip to get his guy, this is it

Wins against Dallas, Carolina, and Indianapolis this season. All teams who were alive last week.

Wins against Dallas, Carolina, and Indianapolis this season. All teams who were alive last week.

Chip's system made Nate Allen screw that play up against Arizona too

Fine Jake Locker.
You know because college offenses are comparable. I mean Colt McCoy, Colt Brennan, Chad Pennington and Ty Detmer all had more career college TDs than Mariota in about the same amount of games but yea college stats matter.

Yea, well, um how bout those Phillies?! ;)

I just think its a perfect fit coming into the same offensive concept that he's been running, along with Chip not having the complete QB for his system yet in the NFL. And I'm not demanding giving up the farm for him, but if it happens I'm good with it. And if it doesn't, then use the draft to fill the holes and don't take a project QB too early. Go (mostly) all defense.

Prediction: Mariota purpose ly sucks in his workouts and interviews in order to fall to the Eagles. Chip scoops him up and he's signed to a massive extension in a few years to make up for it.

You forgot the part where he wins ten straight Super Bowls during his career with the Eagles.

Wouldn't have a problem with that pick. Would like to see how he performs at the combine but he is exactly what the Eagles need.

Yea, increasingly it seems like Trae Waynes will go before pick 20 so Peters seem fine here.

Wouldn't have a problem with that pick. Would like to see how he performs at the combine but he is exactly what the Eagles need.

Yea, increasingly it seems like Trae Waynes will go before pick 20 so Peters seem fine here.

Only concern is that the kid seems to be a knuckle head, when you're trying to choke one of your own coaches on the sideline then that is not good. So for Chip, that would be a major red flag. At this point though, what other choice do they have unless they draft CB in the 2nd or 3rd. Don't think it's a very deep draft at that position. I'd say if they don't have a choice of Collins or Waynes at 20, then you need to take the risk and get this guy.

...and even though he's only an inch taller than Boykin he has a wing span that makes him seem 6'1".

He passed on him after Foles had an amazing year. After Foles' mediocre year, he may pull the trigger.

Can you guys explain this to me... Foles was passing for 270 yards a game, was 5-2 as a starter (with the two losses being away games to the 49ers and Cards, games that were still close and winnable against good opponents) and while his TO ratio was more or less 1:1, I don't see the reason to throw in the towel on him.

But every Iggles fan I know is chomping at the bit to replace him. I think he's a decent QB, what am I missing? Are you guys just pissed that your team failed with Mark Sanchez under center, a guy who has failed teams like the Jets and USC Trojans before...?

In one of the weakest QB drafts in recent memory?

You mean one of the best in recent memory?

This might be the 2nd time in the last 10 years that 2 qbs go in the top 4 picks. It's definitely average even at its floor. Wouldn't call it one of the weakest in memory.

Prediction: Mariota purpose ly sucks in his workouts and interviews in order to fall to the Eagles. Chip scoops him up and he's signed to a massive extension in a few years to make up for it.

You forgot the part where he wins ten straight Super Bowls during his career with the Eagles.

was implied.

How about if Chip drafts "his guy(s)". Spend every pick on a mobile QB. Trade for the former hot names that can run "the system". Go see what's up with Darron Thomas, D. Dixon, Masoli ect.. See if they can still run "the system" first. Then we'd be set for a championship.

Can you guys explain this to me... Foles was passing for 270 yards a game, was 5-2 as a starter (with the two losses being away games to the 49ers and Cards, games that were still close and winnable against good opponents) and while his TO ratio was more or less 1:1, I don't see the reason to throw in the towel on him.

But every Iggles fan I know is chomping at the bit to replace him. I think he's a decent QB, what am I missing? Are you guys just pissed that your team failed with Mark Sanchez under center, a guy who has failed teams like the Jets and USC Trojans before...?

I'm not chomping at the bit to replace him. I'd be okay with either, but would prefer they kept Foles and drafted defense. Most of the fans in this thread also want to keep Foles.

But yes, many are pissed that we failed with Sanchez.

You mean one of the best in recent memory?

This might be the 2nd time in the last 10 years that 2 qbs go in the top 4 picks. It's definitely average even at its floor. Wouldn't call it one of the weakest in memory.

I dont recalll the article but its main point was that there were only 2 first round QB's thsi year and that would be one of the wekest in recent memory :shrug:

Exactly, he knows Mariota better than anyone. He has the best insight on Mariota's chances in the league.

With no super stud quarterback in the draft it devalues that first pick. It won't cost the Eagles as much as it cost the Redskins to get RG3

Exactly, he knows Mariota better than anyone. He has the best insight on Mariota's chances in the league.

With no super stud quarterback in the draft it devalues that first pick. It won't cost the Eagles as much as it cost the Redskins to get RG3

He knew Josh Huff too

Not every Eagles fan. There are plenty of us here who would rather give Foles another year than spend a premium pick on a replacement. I'd be sick if they traded up for a QB.