What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*Official 2015 Philadelphia Eagles* - Winning when it doesnt count (4 Viewers)

And if you find yourself wanting to do this trade yet laughed at the RG3 trade Washington made you may need a CT scan lol
You think that's on par with what the Rams received?
The Rams got future picks. In this deal, as opposed to getting picks they'd be getting Foles, McCoy and Cox. That's way worse IMO. What picks would those guys be in a draft?
Draft Mariotta, sign Murray and Suh. All those guys are replaced and you got your QB.

And if you find yourself wanting to do this trade yet laughed at the RG3 trade Washington made you may need a CT scan lol
The Rams got future picks. In this deal, as opposed to getting picks they'd be getting Foles, McCoy and Cox. That's way worse IMO. What picks would those guys be in a draft?
Draft Mariotta, sign Murray and Suh. All those guys are replaced and you got your QB.
Don't like the idea of rooting for that guy.

Is there any evidence that Chip didn't get his way with personnel? I've seen a few reports from Sheil and others that he would've taken guys earlier...but we got those guys anyway, and got them later. How is that a bad thing?

I'm always going to be skeptical of giving someone total control of football operations, but realistically it was a positive turn of events after the Gamble situation. I thought after Gamble was let go that Chip would have one foot out of the door heading into 2015; at least that's not the case.

Is there any evidence that Chip didn't get his way with personnel? I've seen a few reports from Sheil and others that he would've taken guys earlier...but we got those guys anyway, and got them later. How is that a bad thing?

I'm always going to be skeptical of giving someone total control of football operations, but realistically it was a positive turn of events after the Gamble situation. I thought after Gamble was let go that Chip would have one foot out of the door heading into 2015; at least that's not the case.
My concern is that his drafts have been largely misses.

2014 - Jordan Matthews, Beau Allen and to an extent Josh Huff contributed.

2013 - Lane Johnson, Bennie Logan, and Ertz sometimes

The rest are not even depth or on the team anymore.

Give these guys time.

Matt Barkley is still on the team. Would be the #2 if Sanchez didn't become available.

Earl Wolfe was a starter last year before injury issues lingered.

Jordan Poyer is playing for the Browns now.

Jake Knott would have played this year if not for getting injured (along with Long, when Ryans went down).

Marcus Smith needs some time (very concerning, I'll give you that).

Jaylen Watkins looks like a promising versatile young player.

Taylor Hart bulked up and could contribute next year.

Ed Reynolds is still on our practice squad, although we signed some very intriguing safeties from waivers and other teams this year.

Cody Parkey should have been rookie of the year. :-)

Even if these guys don't work out, we hit on a majority of our early picks. There's typically a 40% bust rate among first round picks. No one picked after Marcus Smith is lighting it up. They wanted Haha, but he was taken one pick ahead of us. It happens. I like the guys we got - I think it has worked out well so far.

I really don't care about it all. We sold our souls to CK when we brought him here. I rather a proven winning coach, on all levels, get his way than have this turn out like SAnFran. I still think heis a genius. Let it play out.

As for my boy Foles, idk what's in store for him. Chip drafted Barkley, started Vick over him, and sounded like he had a thing for Sanchez. I do know Foles the only one who won games. I'm done worrying about it, but what happens here will tell a lot.

Foles would be about a 3rd? Cox maybe a second at best. McCoy at his salary, I don't know a second or third.

Most people aren't sure if Foles is an NFL starter and rbs aren't worth what they were. A solid, not great, DT isn't worth a ton either. Not sure how anyone could value this more than three 1st round picks where you can get guys at cheap salaries.
I'm not saying what they would go for. If these guys are in the draft this year where do they go? Cox and McCoy would be 1st rounders and Foles no further than the 2nd.

We would be dealing picks and proven players. STL had to pick and hope they were NFL worthy.

And then all the Skins fans have to do is copy and paste our own comments, change the team name, and just post them here :shrug:

Jason, check out the article I posted in the 2014 thread from Reuben Frank. Lurie couldnt say no even if he wanted to. Having Chip leave was not an option.

Insein, I dont feel like the drafts have been misses and I believe 2014 will look pretty good when all is said and done.

2013's draft was historically bad. We came out with a potential franchise LT, a good NT, and a damn good TE. Barkley pick sucked, but look at the 4th round and beyond. Bunch of ham and eggers.

EDIT - and it's wayyyyy too early to throw in the towel on the 2014 draft. Most of those guys weren't gonna contribute this year anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
2013's draft was historically bad. We came out with a potential franchise LT, a good NT, and a damn good TE. Barkley pick sucked, but look at the 4th round and beyond. Bunch of ham and eggers.

EDIT - and it's wayyyyy too early to throw in the towel on the 2014 draft. Most of those guys weren't gonna contribute this year anyway.
The 2013 draft was historically bad because they didn't hit on any players in the fourth round or later? The odds of getting a good player in round 4 is about 10% (It is lower for the 5th round, lower still for the 6th round, and the lowest for the 7th round). Getting 1 good player in the fourth round every 10 years is the norm.

I don't see why Foles can't be a Flacco or even Roethlisberger type......they have rings. Lets use our assets to build around him instead of selling it all for a complete unknown.

The 2013 draft was historically bad because they didn't hit on any players in the fourth round or later? The odds of getting a good player in round 4 is about 10% (It is lower for the 5th round, lower still for the 6th round, and the lowest for the 7th round). Getting 1 good player in the fourth round every 10 years is the norm.
I think he means the draft as a whole, not our draft.

I don't see why Foles can't be a Flacco or even Roethlisberger type......they have rings. Lets use our assets to build around him instead of selling it all for a complete unknown.
I see thie more than the Big Ben type but I agree. Flacco is winning playoff games with Steve Smith and basically nothing else.

If Chip thinks Mariotta is the guy to run Chip's offense in the NFL, then I say, go all in, go get him.

In Chip we Trust. Until he fails. Then Can his ###!!!

Here's another way to think about that sort of king's-ransom trade for Mariota:

Let's say you make the trade to move up to #1, draft Mariota, and install him as the starter from Day 1.

Now, the first two seasons from new NFL QBs - even high first-rounders, and even among those who develop into consistent NFL starters - tend to be fairly mediocre, of course. But, hey, it's our fantasy here, so let's go ahead and say that MM's first two seasons will be waaaaay over on the right side of that bell curve. We'll assume he plays 28 games in his first two years and give him something like a 62% completion rate, 7,000 yards from scrimmage, and 50 total TDs with fewer than 20 INTs across two seasons, for a passer rating of 94 (about seven points above average).

I'd imagine anyone who is advocating that trade now would be thrilled with that outcome, right?

If so, congratulations! You've traded Nick Foles plus Shady, Cox, and this year's 1st- and 2nd-round picks for ... Nick Foles.

Let's say you make the trade to move up to #1, draft Mariota, and install him as the starter from Day 1.

Now, the first two seasons from new NFL QBs - even high first-rounders, and even among those who develop into consistent NFL starters - tend to be fairly mediocre, of course. But, hey, it's our fantasy here, so let's go ahead and say that MM's first two seasons will be waaaaay over on the right side of that bell curve. We'll assume he plays 28 games in his first two years and give him something like a 62% completion rate, 7,000 yards from scrimmage, and 50 total TDs with fewer than 20 INTs across two seasons, for a passer rating of 94 (about seven points above average).

I'd imagine anyone who is advocating that trade now would be thrilled with that outcome, right?

If so, congratulations! You've traded Nick Foles plus Shady, Cox, and this year's 1st- and 2nd-round picks for ... Nick Foles.
Darn, you're right. After two seasons, Chip Kelly and Mariotta would go away, and we'd have nothing left. Just Kidding.

I look at it this way. Would we pay a King's ransom to trade for Russell Wilson in a Chip Kelly offense? Probably. If Chip thinks Mariotta can be a Russell Wilson Type, then I don't mind paying a lot for him. And it doesn't bother me if the analysts don't think Mariotta is all that. Chip knows better than anyone what his capabilities are, so if he wants him, get him.

I like Foles. But Foles can't run. I can only imagine how good Chip's offense could be with a QB who threatens the defense with his legs.

My concern is that his drafts have been largely misses.2014 - Jordan Matthews, Beau Allen and to an extent Josh Huff contributed.

Jason, check out the article I posted in the 2014 thread from Reuben Frank. Lurie couldnt say no even if he wanted to. Having Chip leave was not an option.

Insein, I dont feel like the drafts have been misses and I believe 2014 will look pretty good when all is said and done.
I'm hopeful for Watkins but I was hopeful for Wolffe. Taylor Hart I have no expectations. Huff could be good but needs to grow up.

Stats aside--what's our record? That's the only thing I care about. Romo's stats were pretty damn good and never even made the playoffs.

Stats aside--what's our record? That's the only thing I care about. Romo's stats were pretty damn good and never even made the playoffs.
PHI 20-12

DAL 20-12

NYG 13-19

WAS 7-25

Only one of the above over .500 both seasons.

14-4 with Foles starting. 6-8 without.

I don't think Foles needs to be replaced. I think they will win with him, if the rest of the team is built correctly.

Darn, you're right. After two seasons, Chip Kelly and Mariotta would go away, and we'd have nothing left. Just Kidding.

I look at it this way. Would we pay a King's ransom to trade for Russell Wilson in a Chip Kelly offense? Probably. If Chip thinks Mariotta can be a Russell Wilson Type, then I don't mind paying a lot for him. And it doesn't bother me if the analysts don't think Mariotta is all that. Chip knows better than anyone what his capabilities are, so if he wants him, get him.

I like Foles. But Foles can't run. I can only imagine how good Chip's offense could be with a QB who threatens the defense with his legs.
If the analysts don't think he's all that, he might slip in the draft to the twenties. Why pay a king's ransom now? You could always do an Eli Manning style trade after the pick.

dhockster said:
If Chip thinks Mariotta is the guy to run Chip's offense in the NFL, then I say, go all in, go get him.

I didn't see this before I posted, but while it's funny it's also sort of a valid counterpoint to my post.

Because Chip has to know that, by working a blockbuster deal for Mariota, he'd undoubtedly be shoving all his NFL head-coaching chips into the center of the table. It'd be a massive overbet. Super Bowl or bust. Ride or die.

And I just can't see a guy as intelligent and analytically minded as Kelly taking that sort of risk without near-total confidence that Mariota's not just a franchise QB, but one who can win a Super Bowl for him.

I still think it would be a colossal mistake, but I have to admit I'd admire any NFL HC who had the stones to make that kind of wager.

dhockster said:

I didn't see this before I posted, but while it's funny it's also sort of a valid counterpoint to my post.

Because Chip has to know that, by working a blockbuster deal for Mariota, he'd undoubtedly be shoving all his NFL head-coaching chips into the center of the table. It'd be a massive overbet. Super Bowl or bust. Ride or die.

And I just can't see a guy as intelligent and analytically minded as Kelly taking that sort of risk without near-total confidence that Mariota's not just a franchise QB, but one who can win a Super Bowl for him.

I still think it would be a colossal mistake, but I have to admit I'd admire any NFL HC who had the stones to make that kind of wager.
Or he knows he won't be around when it goes bad. In Mariota year 3 when he's mediocre and the defense is giving up 35 a game, he'll say "well it's been real but Florida is calling so peace out."

Bigboy10182000 said:
voiceofunreason said:
Bigboy10182000 said:
Grahamburn said:
Bigboy10182000 said:
Foles would be about a 3rd? Cox maybe a second at best. McCoy at his salary, I don't know a second or third.

Most people aren't sure if Foles is an NFL starter and rbs aren't worth what they were. A solid, not great, DT isn't worth a ton either. Not sure how anyone could value this more than three 1st round picks where you can get guys at cheap salaries.
I'm not saying what they would go for. If these guys are in the draft this year where do they go? Cox and McCoy would be 1st rounders and Foles no further than the 2nd.

We would be dealing picks and proven players. STL had to pick and hope they were NFL worthy.
at their current ages and contracts? Doubt it. How often do veteran players get traded for first-round picks? not often.

dhockster said:

Or he knows he won't be around when it goes bad. In Mariota year 3 when he's mediocre and the defense is giving up 35 a game, he'll say "well it's been real but Florida is calling so peace out."
No doubt that's a risk, but it's one Lurie had to have known about the day he hired him.

dhockster said:

Exactly why I say do the hypothetical trade. 3/4 DLs, RBs, and double pump unsure slow QBs are easily replaced. Chip knows Mariota unlike no other and if he were willing to wager his reputation to do it, I say go for it. Mariota can do what Foles can't, control the game through the air and ground. If only TB would do this.They need to get elite at QB or defense. Maybe Mariota is it or maybe not. But you're not getting an elite defense by trading McCoy and picking in rds 1&2.

dhockster said:

He doesn't have to think either thing, only if he believes that Mariotta is the best player to run his offense like it was meant to be run, then that's his basis for pushing all in. The assumption that he can win a super bowl comes along with that initial thought.

dhockster said:

Exactly why I say do the hypothetical trade. 3/4 DLs, RBs, and double pump unsure slow QBs are easily replaced. Chip knows Mariota unlike no other and if he were willing to wager his reputation to do it, I say go for it. Mariota can do what Foles can't, control the game through the air and ground. If only TB would do this.They need to get elite at QB or defense. Maybe Mariota is it or maybe not. But you're not getting an elite defense by trading McCoy and picking in rds 1&2.
They won't.

I understand that Mariota is fun to think about and has the Oregon connection and all that, but let's face it:

Even if the Eagles were somehow able to pull off the trade to get him, AND he turns out to be a great QB, they still have a horrible defense and fewer draft picks to improve it.

I don't care how good our offense is, we're not competing with the top teams until we fix the defense.

I understand that Mariota is fun to think about and has the Oregon connection and all that, but let's face it:

Even if the Eagles were somehow able to pull off the trade to get him, AND he turns out to be a great QB, they still have a horrible defense and fewer draft picks to improve it.

I don't care how good our offense is, we're not competing with the top teams until we fix the defense.
this guy gets it. For a team that has to face Dez, Desean and Baby Jerry ODB twice each a year, blowing multiple loads on (potentially) upgrading at QB while ignoring that secondary would be criminal.

As bad as Foles looked this year, he was still averaging 300+ yards/ 1.9 TDs/ 10 rushing yards per game. Obviously the ugly is the interceptions, but I think the reality is that he is somewhere in between this year and last. FWIW he had almost as many 20+ yard TD's as Rodgers in half the games and I know that some of the ints were on deep passes on third down (equivalent to a punt), so not as damning as red zone turnovers (of which, he admittedly had a few).

Put it this way. What is the delta between a and b. a: whatever perceived upgrade Mariota brings to our offense, minus the hit to the defense in keeping our already horrid secondary (due to trading all these picks away). b: what Foles brings to the offense (still feel like its partially an unknown) plus upgrading the secondary? I don't think you could convince me that the former is the way to go. But that's just me.

this guy gets it. For a team that has to face Dez, Desean and Baby Jerry ODB twice each a year, blowing multiple loads on (potentially) upgrading at QB while ignoring that secondary would be criminal. As bad as Foles looked this year, he was still averaging 300+ yards/ 1.9 TDs/ 10 rushing yards per game. Obviously the ugly is the interceptions, but I think the reality is that he is somewhere in between this year and last. FWIW he had almost as many 20+ yard TD's as Rodgers in half the games and I know that some of the ints were on deep passes on third down (equivalent to a punt), so not as damning as red zone turnovers (of which, he admittedly had a few).

Put it this way. What is the delta between a and b. a: whatever perceived upgrade Mariota brings to our offense, minus the hit to the defense in keeping our already horrid secondary (due to trading all these picks away). b: what Foles brings to the offense (still feel like its partially an unknown) plus upgrading the secondary? I don't think you could convince me that the former is the way to go. But that's just me.
Agree completely.

this guy gets it. For a team that has to face Dez, Desean and Baby Jerry ODB twice each a year, blowing multiple loads on (potentially) upgrading at QB while ignoring that secondary would be criminal.

As bad as Foles looked this year, he was still averaging 300+ yards/ 1.9 TDs/ 10 rushing yards per game. Obviously the ugly is the interceptions, but I think the reality is that he is somewhere in between this year and last. FWIW he had almost as many 20+ yard TD's as Rodgers in half the games and I know that some of the ints were on deep passes on third down (equivalent to a punt), so not as damning as red zone turnovers (of which, he admittedly had a few).

Depends on how good you think Mariotta is? If you think he can be a Manning/Rodgers type difference maker you do the deal. One step back to take two steps forward.

Trading away draft picks or players for Mariotta does not preclude also improving the defense. The Eagles could definitely sign a couple of Free agents to help the defense.

I don't think the Eagles will do an all-in trade for Mariotta. But it is a lot of fun to think about Chip's offense with somebody who can threaten the defense with their legs. Just imagine Russell Wilson (3rd round pick) in this offense. We just have to get lucky in the draft the way the Seahawks did.

Trading away draft picks or players for Mariotta does not preclude also improving the defense. The Eagles could definitely sign a couple of Free agents to help the defense.

I don't think the Eagles will do an all-in trade for Mariotta. But it is a lot of fun to think about Chip's offense with somebody who can threaten the defense with their legs. Just imagine Russell Wilson (3rd round pick) in this offense. We just have to get lucky in the draft the way the Seahawks did.
Mike Vick

This.

Plus...when is the last time a team went all in on a player, trading multiple picks and assets, and HAD IT WORK OUT POSITIVELY?

Who has traded 3 first for a single player and gone on to win a Super Bowl, or even compete in a SUper Bowl....heck even make it to a COnferance Championship game in the last 10 years?

Moving multiple high picks for one player DOES NOT WORK in today's NFL.

Mike Vick
It is a lot of fun to think about Chip's offense with somebody who can limit turnovers. Just imagine Russell Wilson (3rd round pick) in this offense.

renesauz said:

This.

Plus...when is the last time a team went all in on a player, trading multiple picks and assets, and HAD IT WORK OUT POSITIVELY?

Who has traded 3 first for a single player and gone on to win a Super Bowl, or even compete in a SUper Bowl....heck even make it to a COnferance Championship game in the last 10 years?

Moving multiple high picks for one player DOES NOT WORK in today's NFL.
If Washington traded all those picks and got Andrew Luck instead of RG3, you'd probably be saying the opposite.

This
I would agree if we were running a Baltimore/Pittsburgh offense. But why wouldn't we want Chip's offense to run full throttle with a QB like MarioTa? It's like buying a Ferrari and doing 60 in the right hand lane, why bother?

Users who are viewing this thread