What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official 2015 Cowboys Thread- 4-12. We won the 4th pick! (1 Viewer)

I really thought theyd get something done with Durant on a fairly team friendly deal after an injury but I guess teams saw he played well obviously and perhaps he was looking for something else anyways. And it looks that way but has Bruce signed elsewhere?
Bucs

dhockster said:
Don't forget the Cowboys can still match any offer to Dez.
True, but if anyone is willing to make an offer, they will probably make it cap prohibitive to the Cowboys so they can't match.
Exactly...this is one other factor in why imo we are quiet in free agency. Still happy to see some restraint. I have no regrets of missing out on any the contracts signed save for maybe Trent Cole. I think that was decent.

dhockster said:
First off...what the heck is going on in Philly. LOL

A few Cowboys thoughts:

Beasley signing = thumbs up.

Murray wanting 8 to 9 million. I am tickled pink to know we have learned our lesson, I want no part of that contract. Enjoy Jax or Oakland.

I think Greg Hardy is the only big FA who makes any sense for us. It is hard to find quality ends who pressure the QB. I am confident we can find players at 27 for LB, CB or RB.

I think we let Romo play at his current contract and bite the bullet on his cap hit.

Lastly....my biggest fear is Dez is available to be scooped up still. He can sign with another team and all we get back is 2-first rounders. Now shut you eyes and imagine that the Colts are the team. 2 late first round picks is NOT good. Extend him please!!!
A lot of Eagles fans are scratching their heads, me included. I still have hope because Chip Kelly is a great Coach (not GM) but I don't like having a paper doll as my QB. Way to risky. I hope Sam Bradford Stays healthy....I hope this deal is a prelude to getting Mariotta......I hope Chip Kelly is a genius that I don't understand because I am not a genius..... I hope.
Not looking that way. Chip said Sam was his guy.

I heard that Adrian Peterson was in Dallas looking for a house. Can anyone confirm this? Anyone live in DFW with local Intel?

Adam Schefter@AdamSchefter 18m18 minutes ago
Dallas now calling around for other RBs. Cowboys know they've lost DeMarco Murray to the Eagles.

Maybe this is the right move from a business standpoint, but it's really gonna suck seeing him in a dirty Eagles uniform and having to play against him twice next year. I think the Cowboys will miss his leadership and attitude as much, if not more, than his ability as a RB.

Dallas now calling around for other RBs. Cowboys know they've lost DeMarco Murray to the Eagles.

Maybe this is the right move from a business standpoint, but it's really gonna suck seeing him in a dirty Eagles uniform and having to play against him twice next year. I think the Cowboys will miss his leadership and attitude as much, if not more, than his ability as a RB.
Can't wait to beat his ### twice.

Ryan Mathews?

Ryan Mathews?
Meh. I'd guess through the draft.

If Murray is gone, any rookie RB drafted in round 1 or 2 immediately becomes rookie 1.01 IMO.
Would you take Coleman (2nd/DAL) over Gurley (1st/BALT)?
Me, no. I'm going to take what I see as the best talent in years and that's Gurley. However, I think a majority of FFers out there will jump all over the Dal situation for a slew of other RBs who are also very good if they are drafted in rounds 1 or 2.

If Murray is gone, any rookie RB drafted in round 1 or 2 immediately becomes rookie 1.01 IMO.
Would you take Coleman (2nd/DAL) over Gurley (1st/BALT)?
Me, no. I'm going to take what I see as the best talent in years and that's Gurley. However, I think a majority of FFers out there will jump all over the Dal situation for a slew of other RBs who are also very good if they are drafted in rounds 1 or 2.
Albert Breer@AlbertBreer 35m35 minutes ago
As @AdamSchefter and @mortreport said, Eagles agreement with Murray worth a MAX of $42 million over 5 years, $21 million in guarantees.

That's unbelievable money for Murray. I'm sorry to see him go, but happy for him that he gets to cash in. It's a brutal league for RBs right now.

And I hate that we have to now probably spend a high-value draft pick -- hopefully not our 1st, that would be terrible -- to fix the RB position. We've already lost Carter and Durant and Melton -- and Spencer has visits to other teams lined up next week. We're going to need our picks for the defensive side of the ball.

i did not want to pay murray a ton, he was great but he got a lot of usage and his history is sketchy

that being said I did not want him to go to philly, if he does crank out another year like last year it is going to suck

Draft...

1 Give me OO at DE. Been my pick since the SuperBowl.

2 Jay Ajayi Rb. Perfect scheme fit just needs to hold onto the rock.

3 CB

4 LB

5 LB

Whew.....what a crazy off season already!

Glad to see Murray gone. Great guy. Not worth the money. Not worth the injury risk.

I am really excited to see what Randle can do. I know they are 99% sure to be going after a RB in the draft, I would love to see this guy get his shot. Needs to keep his nose clean and mature. Hopefully this will help put his feet to the fire.

Would love to see a legitimate pass rusher in FA and a RB in the draft. I think a veteran pass rusher with DLaw makes more sense. Need an impact guy now.

The cap situation is still tough to work around. Carr needs to restructure. Most overpaid guy on the team.

Shouldnt have to ask Romo to restructure but the guy is a multimillionaire with limited time left to play. Money or run at a championship.

The cap situation is still tough to work around. Carr needs to restructure. Most overpaid guy on the team.
How can they not cut him if he's not willing to made big adjustments? I thought playing more man-to-man would help, and maybe he wasn't as bad. But he's far from good and worth nowhere near the money he's making.

Man, 3 years ago it looked like the Cowboys were set up at corner for a long time. :kicksrock:

How can they not cut him if he's not willing to made big adjustments? I thought playing more man-to-man would help, and maybe he wasn't as bad. But he's far from good and worth nowhere near the money he's making.

Man, 3 years ago it looked like the Cowboys were set up at corner for a long time. :kicksrock:
Easy...cutting him would NOT help the cap. $585K savings and dead money. If they can convince him to restructure then no problem.

I still think they are set at corner. They need a pass rush to take some pressure off of them. No CB could survive with the pass rush the cowboys had last year.

I was sad to see Demarcus Ware leave too, but it was the right call

hopefully this is as well
This was 100% the right thing to do. Murray was a great guy and I liked him but he isnt explosive. He ran through WIDE OPEN holes and ALWAYS got caught from behind.

Even if he is as good next year as he was this past year, he isnt worth the ridiculous contract he is getting from Philly. Not if the Cowboys want to fix the defense and continue to get better. This isnt the early 90's anymore. Cant pay the QB/RB/WR the entire cap.

5 years ago Jerry would have done this. Cowboys would be 5-11 before you know it. Thankfully someone is making good decisions in that building now.

We lost Sterling Moore today and Spencer has a visit tomorrow.
Do you count those as huge losses? Spencer cant stay healthy and Moore was just a guy they discovered and cultivated. I think Marineli can do that again.

I am not a huge Spencer fan. I wish we could have brought Moore back but he is replaceable.

Easy...cutting him would NOT help the cap. $585K savings and dead money. If they can convince him to restructure then no problem.

I still think they are set at corner. They need a pass rush to take some pressure off of them. No CB could survive with the pass rush the cowboys had last year.
"If the Cowboys do cut Carr, it will likely be designated for June 1, which would save them roughly $8 million cap space in 2015 but give them a $7.4 million charge against the 2016 cap." - Star-Telegram

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/nfl/dallas-cowboys/cowboys-corner-blog/article6721821.html#storylink=cpy

I was sad to see Demarcus Ware leave too, but it was the right call

hopefully this is as well
This was 100% the right thing to do. Murray was a great guy and I liked him but he isnt explosive. He ran through WIDE OPEN holes and ALWAYS got caught from behind.

Even if he is as good next year as he was this past year, he isnt worth the ridiculous contract he is getting from Philly. Not if the Cowboys want to fix the defense and continue to get better. This isnt the early 90's anymore. Cant pay the QB/RB/WR the entire cap.

5 years ago Jerry would have done this. Cowboys would be 5-11 before you know it. Thankfully someone is making good decisions in that building now.
i agree

"If the Cowboys do cut Carr, it will likely be designated for June 1, which would save them roughly $8 million cap space in 2015 but give them a $7.4 million charge against the 2016 cap." - Star-Telegram

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/nfl/dallas-cowboys/cowboys-corner-blog/article6721821.html#storylink=cpy
Exactly my point. Keeping Carr is just way smarter than cutting him and having a bunch of dead money. Hopefully Jerry learned his lesson with that dead money stuff. I think we are still paying Deion and Aikman.

We lost Sterling Moore today and Spencer has a visit tomorrow.
Do you count those as huge losses? Spencer cant stay healthy and Moore was just a guy they discovered and cultivated. I think Marineli can do that again.I am not a huge Spencer fan. I wish we could have brought Moore back but he is replaceable.
Lol...no.Just sharing info. I did like Moore though...he was decent.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have this feeling that behind the scenes it has been discussed whether or not the Cowboys can live without Dez. It is far more beneficial for the cowboys to sign Dez to a long term deal but what if....just saying what if....behind the scenes they are thinking he is too much of a risk to give a pile of money.

Just some off season food for thought.

Exactly my point. Keeping Carr is just way smarter than cutting him and having a bunch of dead money. Hopefully Jerry learned his lesson with that dead money stuff. I think we are still paying Deion and Aikman.
How is it dead money, though? There are always a few quality guys to pick up post-6/1.

I have this feeling that behind the scenes it has been discussed whether or not the Cowboys can live without Dez. It is far more beneficial for the cowboys to sign Dez to a long term deal but what if....just saying what if....behind the scenes they are thinking he is too much of a risk to give a pile of money.

Just some off season food for thought.
if nothing more comes of the video and he stays clean this year and plays like he can they'll break the bank on him

there is a lot of ifs though

Available RBs. All we got now on the roster is Randle?

Free Agents of some sort:

Spiller, Mathews (presumably), Bradshaw, Tate, CJ2, Polk, D. Thomas, McFad, Jacquiz, Moreno, MJD, P. Thomas, Rice, Bush, Ridley, SJax, A. Smith, Peerman, Reynolds, C. Thompson, D. Wilson, D. Harris, Toussaunt, Fozzy, McKnight, Dwyer, Todman, Heets, LaMichael, Dunbar, Leon W., Thigpen, Hillis, Tanner, R. Brown.

Draft:

Gordon, Gurley, Ajayi, Duke, Coleman, Yeldon, Abdullah, Mike Davis, J. Allen, D Johnson, D Robinson, Cobb, Langford, Atris-Payne, Hilliard, McGee, Crockett, M Jones, Hart, Dyer, M Brown, T Williams, Zelner, K Willians, Coker

We know we're adding more than one, who do we want? If they turn out to be relative no names they'll be great sleepers in fantasy.

Spiller, Mathews (presumably), Bradshaw, Tate, CJ2, Polk, D. Thomas, McFad, Jacquiz, Moreno, MJD, P. Thomas, Rice, Bush, Ridley, SJax, A. Smith, Peerman, Reynolds, C. Thompson, D. Wilson, D. Harris, Toussaunt, Fozzy, McKnight, Dwyer, Todman, Heets, LaMichael, Dunbar, Leon W., Thigpen, Hillis, Tanner, R. Brown.

Draft:

Gordon, Gurley, Ajayi, Duke, Coleman, Yeldon, Abdullah, Mike Davis, J. Allen, D Johnson, D Robinson, Cobb, Langford, Atris-Payne, Hilliard, McGee, Crockett, M Jones, Hart, Dyer, M Brown, T Williams, Zelner, K Willians, Coker

We know we're adding more than one, who do we want? If they turn out to be relative no names they'll be great sleepers in fantasy.
sign spiller draft gordon or gurley

that'd be cool

How is it dead money, though? There are always a few quality guys to pick up post-6/1.
Read your own article. If they cut him he is not playing on the team anymore. They get charged $7.4 million in 2016 for a player who isnt on the team. That is "dead money."

if good old jerry was running things the way he used to i'd say McFadden would be a target

#razorbacks

Draft:

that'd be cool
Why on Earth would they sign Spiller? He turned down $4.8 million in Buffalo!

Dallas isnt paying him that either or they would have kept Murray.

Im telling you right now, Dallas is not going to make any big splashes in free agency. If you are sitting around waiting for that then you will be really disappointed. They dont have the cap room for it.

They are being smart and building through the draft and cultivating their own players. Not overspending on free agents like the Redskins always have....and Jerry used to do.

Draft:

that'd be cool
Why on Earth would they sign Spiller? He turned down $4.8 million in Buffalo!

Dallas isnt paying him that either or they would have kept Murray.
i assume no one is paying him 4.8 at this point

including buffalo

he shoulda jumped on that contract, but he didn't

i don't want him at a big price. i assume his price will come down

Im telling you right now, Dallas is not going to make any big splashes in free agency. If you are sitting around waiting for that then you will be really disappointed. They dont have the cap room for it.

They are being smart and building through the draft and cultivating their own players. Not overspending on free agents like the Redskins always have....and Jerry used to do.
i don't think anyone one left on that list is a big splash

the big splashes are all gone, there's no Snyder 100mil specials left, Dalas did well and avoided them

Just from what I have read, the Cowboys were really high on Ryan Williams. Several teams tried to steal him off the practice squad, he turned down many offers to stay with the Cowboys. The Cowboys eventually brought him up to the team and have high hopes for him.

If you dont think he is an option, do your homework. This guy had a 1st round grade by a lot of teams and slipped to early 2nd round to the Cardinals. He is a solid guy who just had some injuries early.

Randle/Williams/Dunbar would be a decent three headed monster with no real pressure on any of the three. Look at the Pats. That is what we are looking at. Wont be great for fantasy football but will be great for the cap and for the actual team.

Read your own article. If they cut him he is not playing on the team anymore. They get charged $7.4 million in 2016 for a player who isnt on the team. That is "dead money."
It's dead money either way, then. You either pay him 19M to play one season (12+7.4), 24M to play two (12+12). Or cut him and pay 10.4M (4+7.4).

Let me know if I'm missing something. I'm not a big cap guy.

Last edited by a moderator:
He's getting that 7.4 either way, right? So the question is, can we help the

It's dead money either way, then. You either pay him 19M to play one season (12+7.4), 24M to play two (12+12). Or cut him and pay 10.4M (4+7.4).

Let me know if I'm missing something. I'm not a big cap guy.
Oh me neither. This whole cap thing is mind boggling. Just basically repeating how it was explained to me.

I am just saying I would rather them get him to restructure. I dont think he is awful. I think he is an average CB that can still be a big part of the defense. I think with a good pass rush you will see Carr as an above average CB.

Users who are viewing this thread