What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (5 Viewers)

Saw this article and thought of you Kafka.  Enjoy, if you haven't already seen it.
Thank you for sharing that, gb..you're a gentleman & a scholar.  That article put into words (& what I try to convey through my derelict diction  :unsure: )...of what it means to be a Roma fan; at least to me.  The ebb & flow is exhausting, but as a glutton for punishment, I would have it no other way.  Grazie, &......

FORZA ROMA!

EPL predictions sure to be wrong:

1.  Man United - TSO has assembled the best team money can buy, outside of Spain and Germany.  It remains to see how he will manage Europa, or if he sends a stand-in manager in his stead, along with a fully rotated squad.  But, barring injury(s), I think this is the team that ends up on top by the end of the season.  It may take a little bit to adjust to the style he wants to play, but I think they will figure it out soon enough.

2. Spurs - :homer:  - Nothing flashy about this team, but it is the most settled squad among the contenders, essentially returning the same line-up, which was the youngest in the league last season.  Wanyama is a better CM rotation candidate than last season, and I think Janssen will do well keeping Kane fresh all season.  Not terribly deep, and stayed mostly injury free-last season, so that will also be key again this year - but most prolific attack, and stingiest defense from a year ago, should be better this season.  Will once again be overlooked by many until about Christmas time.

3.  Man City - On paper, the team most likely to compete with Man United for most talented.  Last year was a frustrating year, for a team more-talented than the 4th place finish.  Pep has his work cut out in moving out some of the old pieces, but a lot of talent on both sides of the ball.

4.  Arsenal - might struggle at the start of the season with the injuries in the back, but should settle in for the long season and end in their preferred 4th slot.

5.  Liverpool - Klopp, no European distractions, but it still feels like they are accumulating players more than they are building a team.  A good team, but Klopp is just killing time until the German National team job opens up in a couple of years.

6.  Chelsea - This may be optimistic.  New coach, new system, same old players - emphasis on old.  I expect Chelsea to struggle to get back to top-4 status until they can make some of the sweeping changes United made this summer.

7.  Everton - top-5 or 6 maybe out of reach for the near term.  But I like what Koeman did at Soton, and I think they will be right at the top of that next tier.  Lets see how they spend the Stones (and maybe Lukaku) money.

8. Leicester City - not quite the highs of winning the league in 2016, nor the lows of fighting off relegation of 2015.  Not a deep squad, but talented in what they do.  If they can hold onto Mahrez, they can be in the mix for a Euro slot, if they can sign Gabigol, I might move them ahead of Man United...

9. Soton - Love what they did with Koeman - really don't know how the new manager will settle, but always a fun team to watch, and I am FM-nerd-fan of Hojbjerg, so I hope he settles well.

10.  Meh - the rest don't matter.  Hull is certain to be relegated, I'll go with West Brom and Middlesbrough to join Hull in the Championship in 2017/18

So, two weeks in, and i pretty clearly over-rated Liverpool.  Leicester may be a tad bit high here also.  Hull still riding the euphoria of making it to the premier league, I expect they will still be relegated.  

So, two weeks in, and i pretty clearly over-rated Liverpool.  Leicester may be a tad bit high here also.  Hull still riding the euphoria of making it to the premier league, I expect they will still be relegated.  
Yet Spurs at #2 overall, who have scored all of 2 goals so far and stand a whole point ahead of Liverpool, weren't clearly overrated after your 2 week assessment?

I guess we'll find out next week, eh?

What a rocket to level the match!  And it's always good when one of the Madrid teams drops points against one of the minnows.
GRRRRRR :ChemX:

Atlético had so many chances to ice this game.  I really have no idea why Gaitán didn't start.  No need for Koke, Tiago, Gabi, and Saúl to start in the midfield against that team.

What a #### game that Liverpool one was. I tried the hangover good vibe juju to no avail :deadbanana: 

Almost threw the remote at the TV when Henderson was bringing the ball up(75min) and had 20 yards in front of him....so he stopped and passed it sideways. :wall:  

What a weekend of games.  Nice to have the EPL back, watching Costa score game winners after he should be sent off, again.  Liverpool loses.  Arsenal buys no one, Leciester feels the burn of a ref not giving them a PK (despite what Robbie M thinks, clear pk)  Hull winning, Moyes losing (and hopefully panic buying Fellaini for more then hes worth), City doing City things in an empty stadium....  Ahhhh.

:devil:

So far, a lot of fun.  And Mata should move inside, Mkhy outside and Rooney gets left out.  
Definitely night and day considering they opened this year with Bournemouth and Southampton but .....That’s why we took the damn field! Now, *hits microphone* if you want to crown them, then crown their ###! But, they are who we thought they were, and we let them off the hook!

Definitely night and day considering they opened this year with Bournemouth and Southampton but .....That’s why we took the damn field! Now, *hits microphone* if you want to crown them, then crown their ###! But, they are who we thought they were, and we let them off the hook!
True.  But both Bournemouth and Southampton beat United last year.  So its good to get wins.  Have to beat the teams you are supposed to beat.  

CGRdrJoe said:
speaking of the Liverpool loss, has anyone heard from Shader since this weekend :oldunsure:
I still can't process the game.  Seriously.

Two things about LIV that I can't understand.

1. Why do we seem to have trouble breaking down relatively poor teams that park the bus.  What is the most effective way to break those teams down, and why do we struggle with it?

2.  Why does it seem like we concede a goal every single time a shot on goal is registered?  The LIV defensive problem pre-dates my life as a fan, but from what I can tell it's spanned multiple coaching staffs, fullbacks, centrebacks and midfielders.  The only constant in my soccer newbie mind is Mignolet.  

Continually I hear that "well that shot would have been tough for anyone to save", but isn't that the point of a goalkeeper?  To make the tough saves?  To do something?  Aside from the penalty save (lucky guess), teams have now registered 5 shots on goal in 2 games, and we've allowed 5 goals.  

It's as if we can't make a single mistake, without paying the ultimate price for it.

I'm still so angry at the game but I'm finally ready to talk about it.

True.  But both Bournemouth and Southampton beat United last year.  So its good to get wins.  Have to beat the teams you are supposed to beat.  
And this is the ultimate slap in the face.  United looks like they could challenge for the Champions League this year, were they in it.  Granted, it's Bournemouth and Southampton, two anemic offenses, but still...

:rant:

Liverpool and Klopp are angry and Tottenham won't park the bus at home, will they?  So I expect LIV to win this game.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. Why do we seem to have trouble breaking down relatively poor teams that park the bus.  What is the most effective way to break those teams down, and why do we struggle with it?

2.  Why does it seem like we concede a goal every single time a shot on goal is registered?  The LIV defensive problem pre-dates my life as a fan, but from what I can tell it's spanned multiple coaching staffs, fullbacks, centrebacks and midfielders.  The only constant in my soccer newbie mind is Mignolet.  

Continually I hear that "well that shot would have been tough for anyone to save", but isn't that the point of a goalkeeper?  To make the tough saves?  To do something?  Aside from the penalty save (lucky guess), teams have now registered 5 shots on goal in 2 games, and we've allowed 5 goals.  

It's as if we can't make a single mistake, without paying the ultimate price for it.

Because....It's Soccer!

Last edited by a moderator:

as part of Liverpool, I think you need to take a long hard look in the mirror to figure these things out.

Southampton had actually beaten Manyoo at Trafford two straight seasons. So maybe those terrible people in Manchester really are getting a slightly better product on the field this year. Or maybe Saints suck.

I'm pretty sure Saints are mediocre. But MU might be pretty good. Both of those are shames.

Part of the issue is a leaky defense, but the fact that Mignolet is a walking dumpster fire with goalie gloves is also an issue.

Users who are viewing this thread