What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (8 Viewers)

Expansion draft results for Cincy.

* Selected Darren Mattocks, Roland Lamah, Eric Alexander, Hassan Ndam and Kei Kamara 

* Kei was then traded to Colorado for an international spot

* Traded for Greg Garza in exchange for TAM and GAM ($450k in total)

Not sure how I feel about this - he’s not that young but he’s been pretty decent when healthy.  I think he can be replaced but I don’t think there’s anyone on the roster currently that I feel comfortable with.  

Not sure how I feel about this - he’s not that young but he’s been pretty decent when healthy.  I think he can be replaced but I don’t think there’s anyone on the roster currently that I feel comfortable with.  
as a US fan I am really hoping Bello gets some chances.  He will be young at 17 but he did not look out of place even at 16 in the few minutes he got this season.

as a US fan I am really hoping Bello gets some chances.  He will be young at 17 but he did not look out of place even at 16 in the few minutes he got this season.
Excellent point and to be honest, I completely forgot about him.  He did look really good.  United hasn't been afraid to play younger guys so hopefully you are right and he sees time. 

Expansion draft results for Cincy.

* Selected Darren Mattocks, Roland Lamah, Eric Alexander, Hassan Ndam and Kei Kamara 

* Kei was then traded to Colorado for an international spot

don't know llama, alex or ndam... and surprised mattocks is still around- feel like he's been playing forever (only 28!). but if he's healthy and interested, a quality guy up front for a new team.

I assume Cincy still has the core of their USL team? just a matter of how many are quality enough to make the transition to MLS?

Excellent point and to be honest, I completely forgot about him.  He did look really good.  United hasn't been afraid to play younger guys so hopefully you are right and he sees time. 
will be interesting to see if the new coach gives him the chance, or pulls the trigger for somebody more veteran.

don't know llama, alex or ndam... and surprised mattocks is still around- feel like he's been playing forever (only 28!). but if he's healthy and interested, a quality guy up front for a new team.

I assume Cincy still has the core of their USL team? just a matter of how many are quality enough to make the transition to MLS?
I had to look up Ndam.  I guess he is considered a pretty good young CB prospect for NY but with Long and Parker I guess they assumed there would be no room for him.  He is 20 and has represented Cameroon at the U17 and U20 levels.  He has been playing mostly for Red Bull 2 in the USL.

======================

Cincy has signed I think ~10 players from their USL team.  Only a couple have real MLS experience in Adi and Alashe.    I think the signing of so many USL players is a concern to some people as it is the tactic Minnesota used which saw them get off to a really slow start in their MLS life. 

Maybe it will work out better for Cincy.

Vancouver Whitecaps‏Verified account @WhitecapsFC

NEWS | #VWFC acquire up to $825,000 in allocation and 2019 international roster spot from @fccincinnati in exchange for Kendall Waston.

===================

This is a record for monopoly money for a defender.  This is a nice pick up for Cincy as Watson is one of the most underrated defenders in the league.

I had to look up Ndam.  I guess he is considered a pretty good young CB prospect for NY but with Long and Parker I guess they assumed there would be no room for him.  He is 20 and has represented Cameroon at the U17 and U20 levels.  He has been playing mostly for Red Bull 2 in the USL.

======================

Cincy has signed I think ~10 players from their USL team.  Only a couple have real MLS experience in Adi and Alashe.    I think the signing of so many USL players is a concern to some people as it is the tactic Minnesota used which saw them get off to a really slow start in their MLS life. 

Maybe it will work out better for Cincy.
With the way cincy has been packing the house, I'd guess fans might have some allegiences to the usl players. Maybe the organization is trying to ride the line...

Leonardo got a nice sum if Sevilla buy Andre Silva

Sevilla disclose the official figures for the Andre Silva transfer from Milan:

€4M for the season-long loan with a buyout option set at €39M

In the ever so changing San Siro Stadium of plans news

nter and Milan have different ideas about the stadium project:

Inter are thinking of renovating a more functional and better San Siro, while Milan’s idea is to construct a new stadium that could be next to San Siro [Corriere della Sera]

I have zero clue who Origi is here.

After abandoning the idea of signing Ibrahimovic, Milan is now considering Fabio Quagliarella. His contract with Sampdoria expires in June. Other two names being evaluated are Marcus Rashford and Divock Origi, but Quagliarella remains the most logical solution [GdS]

The long rumors of Cesc Fabregas continue as Fabregas has expressed willingness to join AC Milan but, Chelsea president Abramovic wants to confront Cesc before letting him go.

Feels too early for Bello full time, and Ambrose didn't hold things down for Garza until he got hurt. McCann was decent this year, and better than last, but he was also a step down. Seemed to me the play was Garza for one more year with Bello filling in with spot starts to rest Garza and when the eventual injuries happened. I wonder if they know the coach coming who will be all-in on Bello OR they have another Nagbe-type move coming as no one saw that coming last year.

As for the TAM/GAM grab, I wonder if there is potential to buy someone's contract down to stay loaded at the top?

@NewlyRetired - Do they need to buy down Villalba again this year (Josef, Barco and Miggy/Pity are current DPs), or does the buy-down from this year carry over? I'll hang up and listen.

@NewlyRetired - Do they need to buy down Villalba again this year (Josef, Barco and Miggy/Pity are current DPs), or does the buy-down from this year carry over? I'll hang up and listen.
you need to buy down every year.

This off season is likely to be tricky for clubs as their are rumors that roster rules are likely to see the DP's being lowered to 2, while increasing the TAM significantly.

This should work out ok for clubs like Atlanta who don't have over priced DP's.  It is going to be tricky for a team like Toronto who has both Jozy and Bradley WAY over priced.  This is probably why we keep hearing Jozy may end up in Liga Mx.

NBC Sports Soccer‏Verified account @NBCSportsSoccer

More

Report: Marcelo Bielsa lined up by Atlanta United, as another report from @TelegraphSport suggests upcoming issues with #LUFC's finances

:coffee:

Because, Leeds.
Sort of - this has to do with the owner's finances - apparently the guy behind an on-line sports streaming service that is in financial difficulty - meaning he needs Leeds to get promoted to save his bacon...

Right now the eccentric Argentina coach has a sleeping giant, Leeds, in second place in England’s second tier and many believe the Elland Road club are the favorites for promotion to the Premier League this season.

However, a report from the Daily Telegraph states that Leeds owner Andrea Radrizzani could be having money issues as his sports streaming company, Eleven Sports, is on the brink of shutting down.

“Radrizzani’s sports streaming service is at risk of shutting down after only four months amid growing doubts over the financial viability of the company. It is understood that the 44-year-old Italian businessman has been unsuccessfully attempting to renegotiate deals with established pay-TV operators but Eleven Sports is now considering pulling the plug on its UK company. Telegraph Sport understands there could now be added pressure on Leeds to achieve promotion this season due to fears over cash-flow issues.”

Would this situation force Bielsa to leave Leeds before the end of the season? Probably not. It seems likely that the pressure will be cranked up on him to achieve promotion though as Radrizzani, Leeds’ majority owner since May, will need to deliver the huge riches promotion to the Premier League brings to continue to bankroll the club.

Bielsa does have a reputation for jumping ship pretty quickly when he does decide he’s had enough at a particular club or if things that were promised to him do not come to fruition. That said, this would still be a huge shock.

So Dusan Tadic scores twice for Ajax yesterday and will be in the Champions League knockouts. I'm beginning to think that he considered his escape from Southampton a move up.

Something has to give in Atlanta

On one hand you have Pity giving multiple interviews saying that he is going to Atlanta (with nothing confirmed US side)

On the other hand you have Darren Eales telling anyone who will listen that they have no offers they are considering right now for Almiron.

There seems little hope that Atlanta can find a team to take the most expensive victory cigar (Barco) in league history off their hands, which would free up the room needed for Pity with out having to sell Almiron.

There have been some online that are trying to figure out if the allocation money received in the Garza trade could be enough to buy down Martinez but that seems pie in the skyish to hope for a team that includes both Pity and Almiron.

Paul Tenorio‏Verified account @PaulTenorio

Despite the differing narratives out there, I can reinforce my earlier reporting via multiple sources: The Galaxy offered Porter the job. He chose to take the Columbus job instead.

Paul Tenorio‏Verified account @PaulTenorio

Despite the differing narratives out there, I can reinforce my earlier reporting via multiple sources: The Galaxy offered Porter the job. He chose to take the Columbus job instead.
So what does that mean with Ibra now? Was his extension part of the deal with Caleb Porter? Columbus got a hell of a coach. 

Interesting 

Report: New stadium one of four main objectives for Gazidis at AC Milan

By

Oliver Fisher

December 10, 2018  

New AC Milan director Ivan Gazidis reportedly has four main objectives to focus on now he has arrived at the club.

LaPresse claims that Gazidis will target four key areas to grow the Rossoneri: re-foundation of the club, the construction of the new stadium, commercial growth and repositioning of the club in European football. 

The stadium will be the starting point, and although a location has not yet been chosen the idea is to build a new ground to be shared with Inter, and Gazidis reportedly believes it will have to be the most beautiful stadium in the world. Milan has not set deadlines. 

The idea is to invest heavily in the youth department, as Milan will not be able to afford huge expenses in the transfer window.

Essentially, superstars like Cristiano Ronaldo are off limits – and the key is the “local boy” like Paolo Maldini.

The corrupt UEFA sent their sanctions down for Milan. 13M fine plus have to break even the next 3 yrs. Their withholding of this years UEFA competitions prize money plus if they don't break even banned from UEFA 2022-23 and 23'-24' club competition seasons. From 2019-20 and 20'-21 to register more then 21 players for UEFA competitions. 

Liverpool-Bayern, yummy. And Arsenal on to a first round matchup with Tractor Borisov in Europa. They are fated to be linked with them ever since the Guardian joke of a few years back.

Sevilla back in the NIT, where they rule.

:popcorn:

Champions League Draw:

Man City v. Schalke

Atletico v. Juventus

Man United v. PSG

Spurs v. Dortmund

OL v. Barça

Roma v. Porto

Ajax v. Real Madrid

Liverpool v. Bayern
3 Premier League v Bundesliga matchups.  Should be fun.  

Really looking forward to seeing Sancho play vs an English team. 

:popcorn:

Champions League Draw:

Man City v. Schalke

Atletico v. Juventus

Man United v. PSG

Spurs v. Dortmund

OL v. Barça

Roma v. Porto

Ajax v. Real Madrid

Liverpool v. Bayern
My picks to advance: 

City

Juve

Paris

Dortmund

Barca

no clue, but I like Roma a lot better, so I am going with them. 

Ajax (suck it Madrid)

and my 5-star gold lock pick of the day:  Liverpool

My picks to advance: 

City

Juve

Paris

Dortmund

Barca

no clue, but I like Roma a lot better, so I am going with them. 

Ajax (suck it Madrid)

and my 5-star gold lock pick of the day:  Liverpool
So much can happen in a couple of months, particularly over the festive period for the English clubs, and the January window for the wealthy clubs.

538 has it as follows (to make the quarterfinals):

Man City 90%   v. Schalke 10%

Barça 84%  v. Lyon 16%

PSG 75%  v. Man United 25%

Juventus 62% v. Atletico 38%

Ajax 56%  v. Real Madrid 44%

Spurs 56% v. Dortmund 44%

Porto 54% v. Roma 46%

Bayern 52% v. Liverpool 48%

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/soccer-predictions/champions-league/

So much can happen in a couple of months, particularly over the festive period for the English clubs, and the January window for the wealthy clubs.

538 has it as follows (to make the quarterfinals):

Man City 90%   v. Schalke 10%

Barça 84%  v. Lyon 16%

PSG 75%  v. Man United 25%

Juventus 62% v. Atletico 38%

Ajax 56%  v. Real Madrid 44%

Spurs 56% v. Dortmund 44%

Porto 54% v. Roma 46%

Bayern 52% v. Liverpool 48%

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/soccer-predictions/champions-league/
Huh?  Am I missing something with Ajax?

Juve/AM, Bayern/Liverpool, and Spurs/Dortmund are all pretty juicy matchups at this stage of the competition 

Users who are viewing this thread