What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (7 Viewers)

MLS superdraft starts at 1.

while it's great Cincy can load up... I'm with the guys who don't think much comes from this outside of a handful of prosepects. IMO, philly made a good trade. 

RBs at #22. :popcorn:
1 overall CIN-Frankie Amaya- Midfielder - UCLA

2 overall SJ- Siad Haji- Midfielder - VCU

3 overall ORL- Santiago Patino- Forward - FIU

4 overall DAL- Callum Montgomery- Defender - UNC - Charlotte (FC Dallas acquired the pick from Colorado via a trade on 7/23/18_

5 overall COL- Andre Shinyashiki- Forward - Denver Colorado acquired the pick from Chicago via a trade on 1/11/19

6 overall TOR= Griffin Dorsey- Midfielder - Indiana

7 overall MIN- Dayne St. Clair- Goalkeeper - Maryland

8 overall HOU- Sam Junqua- Defender - California

Last edited by a moderator:

4 overall DAL- Callum Montgomery- Defender - UNC - Charlotte (FC Dallas acquired the pick from Colorado via a trade on 7/23/18_

5 overall COL- Andre Shinyashiki- Forward - Denver Colorado acquired the pick from Chicago via a trade on 1/11/19

8 overall HOU- Sam Junqua- Defender - California

9 overall NE- Tajon Buchanan- Midfielder - Syracuse @NewlyRetired

My mind is officially blown  🤯

So, I was going to post a snarky comment about how I once played against VCU (were were beaten badly) when I kept looking at the list, and I get down to Griffin Dorsey.  And, I laugh - I used to play with a guy named Greg Dorsey.

So I do a little searching - sure enough Griffin's parents are Greg and Sue Dorsey.  :excited:   But they are from Colorado - I went to school in North Carolina - and my recollection of Greg was that he was from Florida.

Go to the school Alumni directory - Greg lives in ####### Colorado now, and his wife's name is Sue!!!

Wow!

ETA - just got an email from him - it is his son.  Makes me feel old - but still excited!

they're talking about RBs trading up for one of cincy's picks.

16th & 1st 2nd round = 100k allocation money 

RBs- Roy Boatang CB- UC Davis (22yo) ... I guess they're figuring Long or Parker will move on to europe?

ok... not making this up-

Tucker Bone (airforce) #20 to Sounders

how does that work? doesn't have to due his air force time (3 years or something?)

Now that the story is real,  any guesses on how many points Leeds will be deducted?  Does Bielsa know Belichick?

=================

Sky Sports News‏Verified account @SkySportsNews

BREAKING: @LUFC coach Marcelo Bielsa admits sending a club employee to spy on @dcfcofficial's training session ahead of tonight's game and "accepts all responsibility". #SSN

MLS superdraft starts at 1.

while it's great Cincy can load up... I'm with the guys who don't think much comes from this outside of a handful of prosepects. IMO, philly made a good trade. 

RBs at #22. :popcorn:
We don't need the draft. Tanner was brought in to make the club the same as the rest of the world in terms of how to develop players. 

@Kafka you got to be ####ting me!!! Nonzi just broke the same toe I did last May. He's obviously out multiple matches. I actually fractured mine small fracture considering I hurt it on a pallet jack full of water I was lucky and downright surprised. Still they told me 4-6 weeks for it. Looked it up last year as I was curious and it said if playing soccer 4-8 to be cautious and there's a chance of reinsuring the toe too. 

Roma Midfield takes another hit to the depth

I hope MLS scraps the draft or at least significantly shortens it and lets team sign players from college as free agents, if wanted.

Today during the 3rd and 4th rounds of the draft, 21 of the 48 picks went unused by teams.

Dummy Run‏ @thedummyrun

This shouldn't be possible, but at 31 years old Lionel Messi is averaging more non-penalty goals and assists per 90 minutes than at any point in his career.

More ole stuff... Giggs related

Giggs, though, has revealed that Solskjaer identified the position of United’s full-backs as a weakness when the pair watched the Red Devils lose against Juventus at Old Trafford in October.

Luke Shaw is positioned far higher up the pitch under Solskjaer (Picture: Getty)
‘Well, reminding the players how good they are,’ said Giggs, when asked what Solskjaer has changed.

‘It’s little tweaks. It’s like you see with golfers. Just a little tweak to the game that someone else on the outside might have seen. Ole’s been to a few games before he took over.

‘I was at a game next to him, and he was pointing out to me, ‘Look at the full-backs, they’re not high enough’. Things that we were used to, things that you associate with Man United teams.

‘OK you score two, we’ll score three’ and I think he’s brought, he’s instilled that back into them that we need to score goals, we need to attack and if we’re all higher up the pitch then it just poses the opposition that question. All of a sudden teams are going from, ‘Right it’s Man United, we’ve got a chance today’ to actually, ‘Oh yeah, we’ll be defending, we’ll be deeper’.

‘With the front players that United have got, not only the starting players but the ones coming off the bench, you’ve seen Sanchez, you’ve seen Lukaku now having an impact. It rivals any team within the Premier League the firepower that United have got.’

heard that 2021 will be the start date.  Is that what you are hearing as well?  That should be plenty of time to ramp up.
Yep. The only way I see it changing is if one of the 2020 franchises blows up. And we find a temporary venue. Our membership has grown from 300 to 1K without a team. Should be in a good place to fill 3200+ Supporters section seats.

Nice shout-out from Alexi to the SG. Our mascot is a grackle.

Alexi Lalas

@AlexiLalas

Hello Austin! I already hear the grackles.

with Eales tweeting this, I guess we can assume that Pity will finally be announced and I guess we can also assume Almiron has been sold....?

===============

Darren Eales‏Verified account @DEalesATLUTD

I feel a DP announcement coming

More ole stuff... Giggs related

Giggs, though, has revealed that Solskjaer identified the position of United’s full-backs as a weakness when the pair watched the Red Devils lose against Juventus at Old Trafford in October.

Luke Shaw is positioned far higher up the pitch under Solskjaer (Picture: Getty)
‘Well, reminding the players how good they are,’ said Giggs, when asked what Solskjaer has changed.

‘It’s little tweaks. It’s like you see with golfers. Just a little tweak to the game that someone else on the outside might have seen. Ole’s been to a few games before he took over.

‘I was at a game next to him, and he was pointing out to me, ‘Look at the full-backs, they’re not high enough’. Things that we were used to, things that you associate with Man United teams.

‘OK you score two, we’ll score three’ and I think he’s brought, he’s instilled that back into them that we need to score goals, we need to attack and if we’re all higher up the pitch then it just poses the opposition that question. All of a sudden teams are going from, ‘Right it’s Man United, we’ve got a chance today’ to actually, ‘Oh yeah, we’ll be defending, we’ll be deeper’.

‘With the front players that United have got, not only the starting players but the ones coming off the bench, you’ve seen Sanchez, you’ve seen Lukaku now having an impact. It rivals any team within the Premier League the firepower that United have got.’
Contrast this and the other pundits going crazy for Ole with Paul Ince's take:

https://www.goal.com/en/news/ince-solskjaer-is-nothing-special-i-could-have-done-that-job/xqskly809hqr1c8rwyvnvnd1k

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer may have revitalised Manchester United, but Paul Ince claims things “couldn’t get any worse” after Jose Mourinho and anybody could have overseen an improvement.

Solskjaer has earned plenty of plaudits for turning things around and bringing the best out of the likes of Paul Pogba and Marcus Rashford, but Ince believes he could have done the same job.

The former Red Devils midfielder told Paddy Power: “We can’t get too sucked in with what Ole’s done.

“Let’s be honest, it couldn’t get any worse at Manchester United before Jose Mourinho left.

“There was a dark cloud over the entire club, the players, the fans and the staff. It was impacting performances on the pitch.

“Ole’s come in, a friendly face at the club with a calming influence and it seems as though the players have upped their effort as a result.

“The shackles are off, but that doesn’t mean that Ole is the right man for the job.

“I could have gone in and done the same thing, so could Steve Bruce.

“Anyone could have gone in and done what he has done, it wasn’t a hard thing to do to give those players freedom and improve the mood.”

With Ince yet to be convinced that Solskjaer has earned an extended stay in the Old Trafford hot-seat, he still believes that a more experienced coach – such as Tottenham’s Mauricio Pochettino – should be sounded out.

He added: “For the next few years what the club need to do is bring in a manager that can seriously get United competing with City and Liverpool. And of the options available, Pochettino is the man to do that.

“The club shouldn’t be making rash decisions, picking a manager just because he’s had six wins on the bounce, all of which came against below average sides bar one.

“You’d like to think that even under Mourinho they’d have won those games.

“If he gets the club into the top four, and into the final of the Champions League, then that would be the time when the board should be swayed. But we need to be careful not to get carried away – the decision shouldn’t be made just yet.

“If Pochettino is available, then I believe he should be Man United’s number one choice for the job and they should do whatever they can to get him.

“And do I think he’d want to come to United? Of course I do.”

Some of what he says isn't wrong.  I think removing Jose has a lot to do with the mood, but Ole should be applauded for how he has handled coming into the situation.  Would Ince have done the same?  Don't know.  I accept Ince's caution at naming Ole for beyond this season, but disagree with not giving Ole any credit.

Kane out with an ankle ligament injury until mid March.  Horrible timing for Spurs.  I for one think Phil Jones should be banned for the challenge.

Kane out with an ankle ligament injury until mid March.  Horrible timing for Spurs.  I for one think Phil Jones should be banned for the challenge.
Damn my google skills are bad, cant find a video of the tackle.  Didnt see it, usually Jones hurts himself on things like this.

Damn my google skills are bad, cant find a video of the tackle.  Didnt see it, usually Jones hurts himself on things like this.
I don't even remember it from the game and haven't seen it - Jones probably hurts himself getting in and out of bed. 
I wonder if it was that last kick of the game- something that looked like a tackle from behind (imo worse than that red we were talking abuot vs city) just at the edge of the tv screen when the whistle blew. they didn't really talk about it, but the cameras later showed physios walking him off.

Likely misses:

EPL: Fulham, Watford, Newcastle, Leicester, Burnley, Chelsea, Arsenal

League Cup: Chelsea

FA Cup: Palace

CL: Dortmund, Dortmund

The last 3 games are Dortmund, Arsenal, Chelsea so I am sure he will be racing to get back for those games.  

I wonder if it was that last kick of the game- something that looked like a tackle from behind (imo worse than that red we were talking about vs city) just at the edge of the tv screen when the whistle blew. they didn't really talk about it, but the cameras later showed physios walking him off.
Initial reports indicated it was earlier in the game and he played through it, but what I am finding now says "final stages" and was caught between Jones and Lindelof

What happened? Something announced? I have just seen a bunch of rumors about basically every EPL club and a "huge" contract extension offer from RBL.
Spurs are going hard as a replacement for Kane.  I think this might have legs.

My choice was for Spurs to loan Zlatan for the rest of the season...

Users who are viewing this thread