What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (4 Viewers)

I still shake my heads at how us backwards yanks seem relatively enlightened compared to much of Europe on this item. 

Italy is in the spotlight but many players have spoken out that they are no worse than many Euro countries.
Its world wide the racism. Up until after 06 Italians hated non 100% Italians on the National team. Lazio Ultras are literally hardcore Racist Nazis. I've been trying to set up a trip with my family for my Dad to visit Italy trying to maybe see an AC Milan game and have had friends in Italy and heard from others don't go to an Away Match for Milan Vs Lazio. Very dangerous, could result in death and opposing fans are asked to stay in the stadium for almost if not more then an hour to let Lazio fans leave and clear the streets. 

Other countries are pretty bad in terms of racism. The EPL this year set up an online team to combat the racism online attacking players. Here in America we got people who hate black athletes who even get remotely successful or speak out. We got people in Utah making racist claims to players. The racism is bad world wide. I also give credit to people like Trump, Salvantini (Italian Trump according to political people) and others like them for making it more acceptable and having these clowns come out of the wood works. The good thing though about it is I've found out some people I did associate with at one point were closet racist and ignorant people to begin with just hiding. 

So I was talking to a group of my Soccer buddies the last few days after the Lukaku incident on maybe ways we can stop racism or cut it down in Soccer. This is what we've come up with so far and this isn't one league it's FiFA/UEFA Universal

If the Supporters section Is the only one in the stadium with the abuse the Game is stopped a warning issued. Second time the game is forfeited by the team. The Section is banned for the rest of the season from the stadium. The Club Is docked 10PTs. Pays a fine. If Club doesn't then they can be subjected to relegation and transfer and European comp Bans

If a whole stadium is doing it the game is stopped and warning issue. Second time match stopped away side is given the victory. Home side is docked 15 PTS, automatically relegated to the division lower then their current one, banned for a year from Domestic and Euro Comp and given a 1 year transfer ban. Rest of the season home games are played behind closed doors. During away matches their club fans are not permitted to attend. Those who are arrested are banned from life from ALL FIFA competitions face 10 yrs max in prison plus hefty fines. 

Outside of stadium incidents. Off the premises for Ultra and Supporter issues involving people. Local and government officials find the perps. Depending on charges the racial will be given the 10 yrs max plus fines and ban from all Fifa comp. Any charges for assault, murder etc will be extending the 10 yrs max prison sentence.

We figured this won't be stopped till teams feel the effects of not doing anything about it either. Maybe that will help prevent more of these incidents. 

I still shake my heads at how us backwards yanks seem relatively enlightened compared to much of Europe on this item. 

Italy is in the spotlight but many players have spoken out that they are no worse than many Euro countries.
The U.S. is one of the least racist countries out there.

Those wacky French:

Virgin Media Sport

@VMSportIE

Bizarre scenes in Paris. Albania line-up for the national anthem. The Andorra anthem is played in the Stade de France. The French anthem is played after. Albanian players refuse to play until their anthem is played. Stadium announcer apologies, to Armenia.

:lol:

Took the son to the NYC-NE “match”.  That was both one of the worst matches from an aesthetic perspective and one of more interesting ones from a breaking the bunker perspective.  

I’m also convinced Parks should be called up over Trapp.  At least Parks is tall and can pass.  

Took the son to the NYC-NE “match”.  That was both one of the worst matches from an aesthetic perspective and one of more interesting ones from a breaking the bunker perspective.  

I’m also convinced Parks should be called up over Trapp.  At least Parks is tall and can pass.  
Wow....saw the 2nd half score at 0-1, but with an early red for NE. Figured the bus was on blocks.

I haven't seen a ton of buster, a little at benefica and now for NYC...but what I've seen has me thinking he's got a lot of US upside- good two way guy with really nice skill on the ball and vision ...and yeah- not trappish in stature. Haven't seen enough to know his downside.

Wow....saw the 2nd half score at 0-1, but with an early red for NE. Figured the bus was on blocks.

I haven't seen a ton of buster, a little at benefica and now for NYC...but what I've seen has me thinking he's got a lot of US upside- good two way guy with really nice skill on the ball and vision ...and yeah- not trappish in stature. Haven't seen enough to know his downside.
His downside is he’s not a put 6, but more of a defensive box to box guy (if that makes sense).  He’s quick but not fast over 20-30 yards, but reads the game really well (same with Sands fwiw).  Having said that, he’s forced his way into the starting 11 with Sands out and clearly likes competition and throwing his body around.  I wouldn’t be shocked if City moved him to somewhere in Europe to further his development.

His downside is he’s not a put 6, but more of a defensive box to box guy (if that makes sense).  He’s quick but not fast over 20-30 yards, but reads the game really well (same with Sands fwiw).  Having said that, he’s forced his way into the starting 11 with Sands out and clearly likes competition and throwing his body around.  I wouldn’t be shocked if City moved him to somewhere in Europe to further his development.
Thanks- good stuff.

I was thinking he was a couple years older than he actually is- just turned 22. So while it would be nice if he was "complete" now, he has a little time to germinate.

Speaking from second level knowledge, that was a reference to the people on the ground in Austin - PR, marketing, government relations. I don’t think it referred to anyone in the Columbus organization, but I could be wrong.

We did get to kick it with McConaughey this morning which was pretty awesome.

Last edited by a moderator:
Samuel Eto'o has retired.  Who is the best African footballer?

Eto'o, Weah, Gervinho?

For me, its Eto'o, although for whatever reason I never saw Weah play very much.  Both were somewhat over the hill when they played for Chelsea.  Most of Weah's best work was done in France and Italy in the 90's and I didn't watch much of those leagues back then (living in the US, it was probably not possible). Weah never played in a world cup. Although I don't recall seeing Eto'o play very much for the Indomitable Lions either.  I recall his years at Barca, Inter and Chelsea mostly. He had a hattrick against United at Stamford Bridge. He once stole a goal by sneaking up on the GK from behind and knocking the ball away when the keeper had the ball in hand.  He had some great goal celebrations.

Favorite Eto'o quote, "I’d rather sell groundnuts in my village than to play for a pathetic team like Chelsea."

Eto'o, Weah, Gervinho?

For me, its Eto'o, although for whatever reason I never saw Weah play very much.  Both were somewhat over the hill when they played for Chelsea.  Most of Weah's best work was done in France and Italy in the 90's and I didn't watch much of those leagues back then (living in the US, it was probably not possible). Weah never played in a world cup. Although I don't recall seeing Eto'o play very much for the Indomitable Lions either.  I recall his years at Barca, Inter and Chelsea mostly. He had a hattrick against United at Stamford Bridge. He once stole a goal by sneaking up on the GK from behind and knocking the ball away when the keeper had the ball in hand.  He had some great goal celebrations.

Favorite Eto'o quote, "I’d rather sell groundnuts in my village than to play for a pathetic team like Chelsea."
Don't know if he was better, but I definitely had more fun saying Didier Drogba.

Eto'o, Weah, Gervinho?

My Link

Don’t we have a Charleston Battery fan among us? As a voting member of the Independent Supporters Council, we have an application in from “The Regiment.” Curious what we know about them.

CletiusMaximus said:

Eto'o, Weah, Gervinho?

Good choice.

I was a huge Pele fan.  His peak was relatively short but he was extraordinary during that time, winning the African player of the year three straight years.

Drogba is also in the discussion.

In terms of African born players, Eusebio may have been the best.

CletiusMaximus said:
bentley said:
Don’t we have a Charleston Battery fan among us? As a voting member of the Independent Supporters Council, we have an application in from “The Regiment.” Curious what we know about them.
@Mjolnirs 
What is the Independent Supporters Council?  Is the Regiment applying to join a larger supporters group?

What I can tell you, and it's just my personal opinion, is this:
I've never been a fan of this group.  They have gotten better over the years, but when they started out ... and for MANY years it seems they could only gather in one section and scream YOU SUCK at the opposing team.  In the early years I had a friend in this group and I would sit in their section, but it was just a bunch of yelling, mostly the above mentioned "you suck."

I eventually started standing with friends from my Y soccer team.   The Stand Up Guys!  We have a banner and shirts. 
Now, I know more people in The Regiment, but still have no desire to join them.  But, they have gotten better.  They have some chants, some songs and smoke bombs.  They make noise, but never seem very coordinated.  Feel free to PM me.

What is the Independent Supporters Council?  Is the Regiment applying to join a larger supporters group?

What I can tell you, and it's just my personal opinion, is this:
I've never been a fan of this group.  They have gotten better over the years, but when they started out ... and for MANY years it seems they could only gather in one section and scream YOU SUCK at the opposing team.  In the early years I had a friend in this group and I would sit in their section, but it was just a bunch of yelling, mostly the above mentioned "you suck."

I eventually started standing with friends from my Y soccer team.   The Stand Up Guys!  We have a banner and shirts. 
Now, I know more people in The Regiment, but still have no desire to join them.  But, they have gotten better.  They have some chants, some songs and smoke bombs.  They make noise, but never seem very coordinated.  Feel free to PM me.
Interesting. 

ISC is a coalition of supporters groups from every level of US soccer. Each club has one voting member, and I’m the rep for Austin FC. It’s a way to foster relationships among various groups and to coordinate away fan experience. I’m going to MNUFC and LAFC matches this month and have meetups coordinated for each via ISC contacts.

Interesting. 

ISC is a coalition of supporters groups from every level of US soccer. Each club has one voting member, and I’m the rep for Austin FC. It’s a way to foster relationships among various groups and to coordinate away fan experience. I’m going to MNUFC and LAFC matches this month and have meetups coordinated for each via ISC contacts.
Are you going to this?

https://www.oregonlive.com/timbers/2019/09/major-league-soccer-to-meet-with-independent-supporters-council-regarding-fan-code-of-conduct.html

Vincent Kompany, who battled injuries for many years, now has to sit out his own testimonial game due to a hamstring pull :)
Espn had a game of guess the starting lineup for his debut with City in 08'...think he came on as a sub or was in the MF;

How many can you guess?

GK

Lb

CBs

RB

LMF

CMF

RMF

ACMF

CF

Speaking of MLS, I'm currently smashing holes  all around the Union's stadium.  Interpret that as you wish.

• Love
Reactions: Ned
Espn had a game of guess the starting lineup for his debut with City in 08'...think he came on as a sub or was in the MF;

How many can you guess?

GK - Given

Lb - Micah Richards

CBs - Demechelis and Lescott

RB - Zabeletta

LMF Petrov

CMF Garreth Barry

RMF Adam Johnson

ACMF - Stephen Ireland

CF - Adebeyour

minutes ago, El Floppo said:

How many can you guess?

GK - Given

Lb - Micah Richards (cb)

RB - Zabeletta

LMF Petrov

CMF Garreth Barry

RMF Adam Johnson

ACMF - Stephen Ireland

CF - Adebeyour
@Bonzai nice work! The bolded are correct (maybe in wrong position, but whatever)

No robinho. GK and CF still play around the league... I think, and are well known (and English). You'll probably remember all the names.

Interesting. 

They are the largest group by far.  The Battery just doesn't really have a good supporters culture around it IMO (or a stadium for next year....)

How many can you guess?

GK - Given  Hart

Lb - Micah Richards (cb)

RB - Zabeletta

LMF Petrov

CMF Garreth Barry

RMF Adam Johnson

ACMF - Stephen Ireland

CF - Adebeyour

CM - De Jong

RB - Some dude that was over the hill at the time.  Can't remember his name, pretty sure he was English

CM - De Jong

RB - Some dude that was over the hill at the time.  Can't remember his name, pretty sure he was English
No to de jong.

RB was an epl mainstay/journeyman but not English. Baltic region.

Other CB was also not English and was I guy I'm confident I could beat off the dribble 9/10 times and gotten by him none times. And even less times with shins intact. Avram Grant fave, iirc.

Atlanta and LAFC have secured their spots for CCL next year.

The 3rd spot looks like it will come down to whom ever finishes the regular season higher between Philly and NYCFC.

The 4th spot is impossible to predict right now since it is suppose to go the winner of MLS Cup but the two favorites to win are Atlanta and LAFC and they are already in.

Users who are viewing this thread