What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (7 Viewers)

Have you guys been following the odd story out of Cincinnati?

The players were listening to rap music in the locker room.  The coach came in and started singing along to the song.

The song had racially inflammatory lyrics and I guess some one got offended and alerted the MLSPA.  The coach has now been temporarily relieved of his duties while they do an investigation.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know this is meant to be a joke, but does it add an asterisk to the 2 league titles these past 2 years?  Should it be vacated?
Not the best person to ask, and I honestly don't even know what the details are.  But it certainly sounds like a big deal and if the gist of it is true there's definitely unofficial asterisks.

What do you Liverpool guys think about the Timo Werner rumor?
There's a lot of swirl around Werner, Sancho and Haervetz so my assumption is that none of those players are actually the ones Liverpool is after.  With a few exceptions (VvD, Keita) their transfers always seem to come out of left field.  Plus I've never found anyone in the football rumor reporting biz that seems to be worth paying attention to.

Having said, there's seems to be more smoke around Werner than the other two and from what I can see he'd be a good fit.  Sancho seems unlikey because his valuation is so high.  I know very little of Haervetz at all.

I do like the idea of having a proven 4th guy along the front line though, with Origi being the 5th option instead of the 1st guy off the bench.  Ox has done well on the wing (there again today for Mane -- ahead of Origi -- with the Tuesday match), but I think he's more of a front-foot #8.  Shaq is not long for the team I suspect.  Minimino seems like it may translate from the Japanese as Minifirmino, or maybe he's a #10.  And while Firmino seems like a "whatever you say, coach" type player, it'd be interesting to see how Mane and Salah handled a true rotation.

Borderline lucky on the call, but Mane's goal was something else.

Not quite as good as Firmino bringing the ball down on the turn in the box in the first half, but really good.  Firmino volleys that on goal if the defender doesn't intervene.  What a first touch.

Not quite as good as Firmino bringing the ball down on the turn in the box in the first half, but really good.  Firmino volleys that on goal if the defender doesn't intervene.  What a first touch.
Mane may be a top 5 player in the world for me right now.

WRONG THREAD.

Eta...actually true.

Still reading but UEFA just handed down a 2 year Champions League ban to Man City!!!
About time an EPL team got ####ed because of FFP. I honestly think the rule is stupid because it doesn't nothing to squash over priced market and it seemed many clubs especially big ones were signing guys to huge transfers they barely had and spending well over what they had.  personalIy would like to see something different done. The most frustrating thing for me is AC Milan keeps doing everything in their power for Fifa for FFP and yet they continued to get hound while we have clubs like Man City and others cheating about it right under their noises. FFP seems to be one of those FIFA picks and choses who they want to go after. Seems Man City has lost their grove with FIFA in ratings and drawing money for them so now they go after them 

Have you guys been following the odd story out of Cincinnati?

The players were listening to rap music in the locker room.  The coach came in and started singing along to the song.

The song had racially inflammatory lyrics and I guess some one got offended and alerted the MLSPA.  The coach has now been temporarily relieved of his duties while they do an investigation.
That's total bull####. I love how some people of certain ethnic groups or culture can listen to some sort of music or say racially insensitive things but the minute someone outside says it "they are offended". Like GTFO with that bull####. I remember the Riley Cooper incident and LeSean McCoy saying he was offended by it. I remember Deranged Hermit had a buddy working for the Eagles and said his buddy and some other Eagles staff thought it was Ironic Shady was so offended when he substitutes everything in the English language with an N Bomb. It's hypocrisy at its finest. Like Stephan A Smith said during that whole thing the Black Community needs to stop enabling the behavior and word. If you think its offensive don't use it or say it or listen to music that has it. You just make the rest of our community look bad and you look uneducated. I don't know what Racial lyrics were in this song but why is the coach not allowed to sing it but the players can listen to or sing it? Sounds like in this situation Cincy may have just been looking for a reason to fire someone. 

The Paisley vid above led me down a rabbit hole into some 1970s match footage and... holy crap.  The time guys have on the ball is incredible.  And the passes that break a defense open are much simpler. 

Would love to see the team distances run for some of those old classics.  Bet it's like 40% less ground covered than in today's game.  Those old teams would be run into the ground and completely smothered.

The Paisley vid above led me down a rabbit hole into some 1970s match footage and... holy crap.  The time guys have on the ball is incredible.  And the passes that break a defense open are much simpler. 

Would love to see the team distances run for some of those old classics.  Bet it's like 40% less ground covered than in today's game.  Those old teams would be run into the ground and completely smothered.
But they'd refuel with cigarettes and beer at half time to mount a stunning comeback.

Well that is one way to start your season on a good note...what a cluster ####

======

Steven Goff

@SoccerInsider

FC Cincinnati head coach Ron Jans resigns. “As Major League Soccer’s investigation unfolded and some themes emerged, Ron offered his resignation and we agreed that it was the best course of action for everyone involved with FC Cincinnati,” club president Jeff Berding said

======

Steven Goff

@SoccerInsider

FC Cincinnati head coach Ron Jans resigns. “As Major League Soccer’s investigation unfolded and some themes emerged, Ron offered his resignation and we agreed that it was the best course of action for everyone involved with FC Cincinnati,” club president Jeff Berding said
So much for my Ron Jans Surf Shop t-shirt idea....

======

Steven Goff

@SoccerInsider

It's a disaster. Really sucks that at this point it seems like we'll never really know what happened. 

Either way, horrible way to start the season. Especially considering what a ####show last year was. We were building momentum with some good signings and then this. Ugh.

CCL off to its Concacaf best.  Ultra minnow Portmore United leading Cruz Azul 1-0 in the 95th minute and end up losing 2-1 :)
Assume the last-minute goals were on three penalties, with the first one retaken twice and the last one off a rebound by a guy five yards early into the box? 

Go figure:

Liverpool have lost once in the league over the last two seasons, but didn't win the league.

And they've lost more away games than any other team in the Champions League (4-0-6) in the same time frame, but are defending champions.

Liga MX announced a new policy today that I believe lays the ground work for an eventual North American combined league, merging with MLS with in the next decade.

The announcement was that Liga MX is suspending promotion/relegation for 5 years, under the auspices that the second division teams need to find a financial foothold before they consider enacting promotion again.

IMO, they simply want a closed league which will make things easier if and when they decide on some sort of merger with MLS.

All 5 MLS teams struggled physically in the second half of their CCL games this week.  They are so clearly in pre-season shape.  

All told though, the results are favorable.

1 win, 3 draws, and 1 loss, all on the road.

Given the away goals rule, I think 4 of the 5 MLS teams are going to be favored to advance on the home leg.

Well crap.

Lewandowski ruled out for four weeks

Robert Lewandowski broke the tibia in his left knee joint during yesterday's 3-0 victory at Chelsea. This is the result of an examination carried out by Bayern medic Dr. Hans-Wilhelm Müller-Wohlfahrt upon the team's return from London on Wednesday. After 10 days of immobilisation in a cast, he will start rehab. The striker will be out for around four weeks.

My new office signed up for a rec league...and auto-included me. Ran it by the boss (wife) who very grudgingly allowed it.

There's a Greek and an Italian dude both over 50 who can play. The rest, no idea. And we'll probably be playing against 20-sometgimg chuckleheads.

My new office signed up for a rec league...and auto-included me. Ran it by the boss (wife) who very grudgingly allowed it.

There's a Greek and an Italian dude both over 50 who can play. The rest, no idea. And we'll probably be playing against 20-sometgimg chuckleheads.
And those "20-sometgimg chuckleheads" are going to act like its the world cup, run you over and then get mad at you for being in the way.  I wish you safe playing.

Our over 35 sunday league has morphed into over 30 and our over 35 indoor league has become an open league.  At least in indoor there isnt too far to chase....

So Barca got to add Braithwaite from Leganes outside the window because they had injuries. Meanwhile Leganes- in relegation trouble- lose their top scorer but ARENT allowed to replace him.

That's just ####ed up.

Users who are viewing this thread