What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (9 Viewers)

Liverpool better not eff around @Everton and vs. Palace.  Get the wins and take the title down before the season is scrapped. Next game isn't until April 5th, which will be too late.

Should probably just put the kids out vs Atletico.  No chance the CL finishes.
Liverpool fans have to be going nuts.  All those that I know aren't relaxing until its won despite the lead at the top, now this?  They must be in panic mode.

Thought I read that Euro games still on.
In Italy? Makes sense if UEFA hasn't halted all leagues yet. I give it another week or so before they call all of it off. Everyone just waits till Euros Start. 

Frankly people are making a worse deal out of this then it is. From 18-49 the success rate of coming out of Virus is 97.7%. Most people will get a very very less severe case. It's young children/infants and older adults plus those with weak immune systems or illness such as Cancer who are most at risk. This isn't to say book a Trip to China/Middle East/Northern Italy/etc for next week but the outcry of this is no different then what SARS and others had. This is a level 2 compared to 04 with SARS a level 4 

This is a fantastic start by Charlotte off the field.  This blows away most MLS shirt deals

==========

@MLS_Buzz

Charlotte's MLS club has reached an agreement with Ally Financial for a jersey sponsorship that will reportedly be worth $7 million annually, which would be among the most lucrative deals in MLS

That LAFC vs Philly game last night was bananas.
We tend to have a banger or two every year. If I can find it there's a match 5/28/11 Where we were in Toronto and won 6-2. Union scored in '2 and '11 and '44  before Tor got a '50 only for Union to score to score 3 more times after Tor scored in the 60 including a 62' min. Danny Mwanga scored his 2nd to put the match out of reach in the 89' min of it. I believe for a late May game there was also some snow flurries in Toronto during the match which made it even more surreal 

This is a fantastic start by Charlotte off the field.  This blows away most MLS shirt deals

==========

@MLS_Buzz

Charlotte's MLS club has reached an agreement with Ally Financial for a jersey sponsorship that will reportedly be worth $7 million annually, which would be among the most lucrative deals in MLS
How the hell does Charlotte get a bigger deal then some of these larger market clubs? Is it from the success MLS has had recently compared when these others got theirs? 

This MLS/ESPN+ TV deal is bull####.

Guess I’m going from watching almost every FC Cincinnati game to almost zero, unless my friend has an extra ticket for a home game. 

Maybe I’m cheap and selfish, but I don’t  see how cutting off local TV access to games is going to grow the league at all. 
Same thing happened to Minnesota United.  They had a local deal with a non-cable channel.  I watched pretty much every game. they went to the MSL and now they have one game in August on regular TV, every other game is fox sports or espn.  After their first MSL season (still on regular TV) I've watched exactly zero games.

Same thing happened to Minnesota United.  They had a local deal with a non-cable channel.  I watched pretty much every game. they went to the MSL and now they have one game in August on regular TV, every other game is fox sports or espn.  After their first MSL season (still on regular TV) I've watched exactly zero games.
You are talking about two different things.    Rustoleum was getting confused with the out of market package which is different from the national tv deal, or the local tv deal.

Liverpool fans have to be going nuts.  All those that I know aren't relaxing until its won despite the lead at the top, now this?  They must be in panic mode.
Surely Liverpool would be given the title if the season was called off.  Rivals fans would put an asterisk on it (because they wouldn't miss the opportunity to do that) but LFC would (and should) count it.

I'm hoping Arsenal beats City Wednesday.  Then LFC can win it at Everton on Monday, celebrate that night in an epic Liverpool celebration, then they can cancel the season.

In Italy?
The sporting ban only applies to domestic competitions - not international.

But, I assume that any matches would have to be played behind closed doors in Italy.

Seems like other countries are hit or miss - Spurs play in Germany tomorrow and have been told the game will be open to fans, while I think I read that both PSG (v. Dortmund) and Bayern (v. Chelsea) will go on behind closed doors.

Interesting perspective on PL - if things really go sideways, and they suspend the season.

"If the season does not end, how would these matters be decided? The legal implications of relegating a team from a campaign that has not reached its conclusion are mind-blowing given the finances involved. The same is true of denying sides promotion. And scrapping the whole thing and starting again is impossible to conceive of - imagine the outcry on Merseyside for a start."

Of, course those issues would relate to all leagues with Pro/Rel - but I don't think the other leagues have as large a financial disparity to being in the nation's top league.

Interesting perspective on PL - if things really go sideways, and they suspend the season.

"If the season does not end, how would these matters be decided? The legal implications of relegating a team from a campaign that has not reached its conclusion are mind-blowing given the finances involved. The same is true of denying sides promotion. And scrapping the whole thing and starting again is impossible to conceive of - imagine the outcry on Merseyside for a start."

Of, course those issues would relate to all leagues with Pro/Rel - but I don't think the other leagues have as large a financial disparity to being in the nation's top league.
If Leeds (Leeds, Leeds) does not GUAFC because of something like this I am burning this ############## to the ground!

Surely Liverpool would be given the title if the season was called off.  Rivals fans would put an asterisk on it (because they wouldn't miss the opportunity to do that) but LFC would (and should) count it.

I'm hoping Arsenal beats City Wednesday.  Then LFC can win it at Everton on Monday, celebrate that night in an epic Liverpool celebration, then they can cancel the season.
They are far enough ahead where I could see them being called champs.  I think all Pool fans are hoping to have it wrapped in the next 2 games so any cancellation cant take the title from them.

Discussion on the radio this morning was that teams in the English Championship div or lower could have serious problems if they do not get the money from fans in the stands.  Were as the EPL teams rely mostly on the TV money, lower div teams rely mostly on ticket sales.  Games behind closed doors could financially cripple these teams.  

And now LASK v United is behind closed doors.  Stadium holds 21,000 people, 900 United fans had tickets.  Don't know how that affects LASK

From Bayern’s site:

“The Bavarian government decided today to ban events with more than 1,000 visitors until the end of the Easter vacation (including April 19, 2020).

This decision also has consequences for FC Bayern.  The Champions League game against Chelsea on March 18, 2020 will be played as planned (9 p.m.), but without spectators.  FC Bayern announced this to the European Football Union (UEFA) today.“

B Maverick said:
Discussion on the radio this morning was that teams in the English Championship div or lower could have serious problems if they do not get the money from fans in the stands.  Were as the EPL teams rely mostly on the TV money, lower div teams rely mostly on ticket sales.  Games behind closed doors could financially cripple these teams. 
MLS is in a similar boat as game day revenues are still the life blood of the league.

Has anyone seen or read about any of the major stars complaining about playing without the fans?  I saw video of Ronaldo giving high fives to no one where there would usually be fans.  Wondering since Lebron James came out and said he would refuse to play if the NBA held games behind closed doors, which rubbed me the wrong way.  

:shock:

The Italian football federation (FIGC) said after a meeting on Tuesday that the Serie A season may not finish because of the coronavirus outbreak.

A statement confirmed that Serie A would stop until 3 April following a government decree issued on Monday.

FIGC president Gabriele Gravina also put forward alternative options if the season can not be concluded.

They include staging play-offs, not having a champion for 2019-20 or declaring the current standings final.

Play-offs would take place to determine the champions and the three clubs to be relegated to Serie B.

But if the title winner is decided by the current standings then Juventus would be Italian champions for a ninth straight season, having gone back above Lazio with a 2-0 win over third-placed Inter Milan on Sunday.

The Italian football federation (FIGC) said after a meeting on Tuesday that the Serie A season may not finish because of the coronavirus outbreak.

A statement confirmed that Serie A would stop until 3 April following a government decree issued on Monday.

FIGC president Gabriele Gravina also put forward alternative options if the season can not be concluded.

They include staging play-offs, not having a champion for 2019-20 or declaring the current standings final.

Play-offs would take place to determine the champions and the three clubs to be relegated to Serie B.

But if the title winner is decided by the current standings then Juventus would be Italian champions for a ninth straight season, having gone back above Lazio with a 2-0 win over third-placed Inter Milan on Sunday.
I think the postponement puts them something like 4 match weeks behind, and with Euros there is a real possibility they won't have time to catch up.  Sounds like most leagues are trying to get to the international break later this month before making any major decisions.  Most of them are not yet in the same situation as Italy but it could be coming soon.  Biggest thing in England right now seems to be the owner of Nottingham Forrest having the virus. He was at games in England this weekend and also owns Olympiacos. 

I could see the break bringing a lot of leagues into this similar discussion.   

Has anyone seen or read about any of the major stars complaining about playing without the fans?  I saw video of Ronaldo giving high fives to no one where there would usually be fans.  Wondering since Lebron James came out and said he would refuse to play if the NBA held games behind closed doors, which rubbed me the wrong way.  
Lebron has kind of retracted his statement with something "it'll be disappointing to not play without fans but we got to follow the rules" or something along those lines 

There's issues though for playoffs. For example 6-10 are separated by 9 PTS right now. Thats the last Europa League spot in Italy. Milan is also in the Copa Italia and winning that would automatically put them in Europa League. At this point considering what Milan is up against that is a tough task but still I think any club would deam that unfair at this point. At the very least they need to finish the Coppa Italia. That has two matches plus the final. If needed they can move the Finals again since Olympico Stadium in Rome will be under UEFA law. The current agreement was if season had to be hauled to an extent San Siro in Milan Lombardy region would host it. However that region has been hit by the hardest by COVID-19 so moving it again if there's still fears could happen. 

In either case this is all a complete mess. 

As a Liverpool fan, #### this mother####ing bull####.

Title at Goodison has been stolen from me. Don’t take any more!!!

Appears this stems from the olympiacos owner testing positive.

Tonight’s Premier League match between Manchester City and Arsenal has been called off because of Arsenal players’ potential exposure to the COVID-19 coronavirus.

The Gunners got knocked out from the Europa League by Olympiacos 13 days ago and during and after that match at the Emirates, “a number” of Arsenal players and staff came into close contact with the visiting team’s owner, Evangelos Marinakis.

Marinakis confirmed yesterday that he has tested positive for COVID-19, and while he apparently wasn’t showing any signs of sickness at the time, the contact happened still within the 14-day incubation period of the virus. While Arsenal’s official statement puts the risk of any of their players or staff actually developing the ailment at “extremely low”, they will all now follow the Government guidelines of self-isolation.

But that’s just the tip of the iceberg.

Should any of the Arsenal players actually test positive, we would have to trace back their movements, which would include a home game against West Ham over the weekend and an away match against Portsmouth in the FA Cup the Monday before — the Premier League may have banned handshakes, but there’s plenty of close contact during a match anyway. And then there’s training and other movements and fan engagements and so on.

And the story with Marinakis doesn’t stop there either. He’s also the owner of Nottingham Forest, and he was in town this weekend when they played Millwall, and he met the entire team. That was just three days before he was diagnosed.

Roma say they will not be travelling to their Europa League tie with Sevilla on Thursday because their plane from Italy is not authorised to land in Spain.

The last-16 first-leg game in Seville was already due to be played behind closed doors amid coronavirus fears.

@Kafka - just making a welfare check, hope all is well gb!

Last edited by a moderator:
Roma say they will not be travelling to their Europa League tie with Sevilla on Thursday because their plane from Italy is not authorised to land in Spain.

The last-16 first-leg game in Seville was already due to be played behind closed doors amid coronavirus fears.
They could take a bus and meet in the middle - play the game at the Camp Nou. Probably a half day drive for both teams.

Per UEFA:

As a result of the travelling restrictions between Spain and Italy imposed yesterday by the Spanish authorities, the following #UEL matches will not take place as scheduled tomorrow.

Sevilla – AS Roma

Internazionale – Getafe

Seattle is the first US soccer team to postpone a game due to the virus.  It is interesting they chose postponement over closed doors.  I wonder if more MLS teams will take this approach to give a little more run way until they are forced to play behind closed doors.

Users who are viewing this thread