What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (13 Viewers)

We knew this was coming but it is official now.

Liga MX has disbanded its second division for 5 years but in reality it is gone for good imo.  It will be transformed into a development league.  Liga MX itself will reorganize into a closed single division league.

IMO, as I have said all along, these steps are being taken to eventually have some sort of formal merge between Liga MX and MLS with a gigantic 50 team league.

Last edited by a moderator:

Liga MX has disbanded its second division for good.  It will be transformed into a development league only.  Liga MX itself will reorganize into a closed single division league.

IMO, as I have said all along, these steps are being taken to eventually have some sort of formal merge between Liga MX and MLS with a gigantic 50 team league.
The Mexican second division was floundering economically anyway. 

A 50 team league spanning Mexico, USA, and Canada would be a nightmare for travel, but it might not that much worse than the existing MLS travel schedule.  Would be pretty cool to get Tijuana to play LAFC in meaningful matches on the regular.

The Newcastle United takeover rumor is picking up steam again. The beat writers from The Athletic wrote a piece on it the other day for the first time, saying they avoided writing about until now because they really needed to be certain. Jason Burt from the Telegraph said all interested parties submitted paperwork to Premier League last week. 
I started seeing this last week. How much of this is really true and how much is the typical BS? 

Happy days just read an Athletic article on the  Lee Bowyer and Kieron Dyer fight. Good read and inside info. Not sure what to believe anymore with Newcastle though. But I hope this is true. With the stuff going on with the Bulls getting a New GM this will make things better. 

PS: In case you were wondering I was suspended for a month from march 12 on. 2 weeks ago my mom tested positive and I had to quarantine for two weeks. Been missing this place and this thread too. 

Sunderland Til I Die season 2 is just fantastic television.  The producers got incredibly lucky on the timing - to get this club in these two seasons was perfect for a full access reality program.  I didn't know the outcome of any of these games (I knew where they finished the season, but otherwise nothing) - was honestly on the edge of my couch watching those games at Wembley and some of the league and cup games.  The personalities involved, the supporters, the players - its wonderful tv imo.
I'm afraid of watching it I might feel bad for them Then @McBokonon and I couldn't be friends anymore 

Liga MX has disbanded its second division for 5 years but in reality it is gone for good imo.  It will be transformed into a development league.  Liga MX itself will reorganize into a closed single division league.

Talk by one LigaMX owner of a super league with MLS possible 

Happy days just read an Athletic article on the  Lee Bowyer and Kieron Dyer fight. Good read and inside info. Not sure what to believe anymore with Newcastle though. But I hope this is true. With the stuff going on with the Bulls getting a New GM this will make things better. 

PS: In case you were wondering I was suspended for a month from march 12 on. 2 weeks ago my mom tested positive and I had to quarantine for two weeks. Been missing this place and this thread too. 
How's she doing?

The latest Gab Marcoti podcast (ESPNFC) is pretty good for the Newcastle deal background and how it might resolve.  Its obviously a very unique situation in terms of doing a Euro 300 million deal. Newcastle is a fantastic target for an oil/sheikh buyer, but other attractive options may also become available under current conditions. 

Gab also has a guest on to discuss potential options to finish the season.  Spoiler:  highly unlikely.  The June 30 contract deadline presents more problems than most realize.

Premier League: The worst 50 players ever have been named

5. Jozy Altidore

Jozy Altidore scored one goal in 28 games during a loan spell with Hull City, but that didn’t deter Sunderland from bringing the American striker to the Stadium of Light in 2013. In 42 Premier League games for the Black Cats, he netted one goal.
I really like Jozy but to say his time in the EPL was a nightmare is a complete understatement.  Nothing went right (and that is even acknowledging the horrid teams he played for).

I have to read this article now because I figured he would have been top 2.

I really like Jozy but to say his time in the EPL was a nightmare is a complete understatement.  Nothing went right (and that is even acknowledging the horrid teams he played for).

I have to read this article now because I figured he would have been top 2.
:lol:  

1. Ali Dia

And at number one, it’s the legend himself: Ali Dia. The man who claimed to be George Weah’s cousin was signed by Southampton in 1996 and played 52 minutes against Leeds United - replacing the injured Matt Le Tissier - before being released when it quickly became abundantly clear that he was terrible.

The Senegalese forward went on to sign for non-league Gateshead before ending his bizarre career with Spennymoor United.

1. Ali Dia

And at number one, it’s the legend himself: Ali Dia. The man who claimed to be George Weah’s cousin was signed by Southampton in 1996 and played 52 minutes against Leeds United - replacing the injured Matt Le Tissier - before being released when it quickly became abundantly clear that he was terrible.

The Senegalese forward went on to sign for non-league Gateshead before ending his bizarre career with Spennymoor United.
jesus christ.  Granted this was before the internet really took hold but still 1996 was hardly the dark ages.  How in gods name did no one do even the most basic of due diligence?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfX9gBmsWqg

Serie A has a target date of Starting up by late may. With players who are out of the country they are suggested to return Wednesday or Thurs at the latest to quarantine. Milan has Ibra, Castillo, Leo and a few others who went back to their home countries at the start of this whole thing. Clubs like Milan have the Milanello Facility that they have been fully sanitizing for months. They also have dorms (1 player per room except for bros Antonio & Gigio) so players can't leave the training facility. Serie A is getting strict guidelines on what players and staff are allowed and not allowed to do. Matches behid closed doors button word on if teams in northern Italy like Milans and Juve can play in their  home stadiums. 

Simon Kjaer, Asmir Begovic, Alexis Saelemaekers, Hakan Calhanoglu, Rafael Leao and Ismael Bennacer are all expected to land back in Milano on Monday.

Tomorrow, it will be the turn of other foreign players, such as Samu Castillejo, Rade Krunic, Lucas Paquetà and Ante Rebic, with the Italians are already present on site and ready to move to Milanello for the ritual checks and get ready for the resumption of training.

However, the return dates of Franck Kessie and Zlatan Ibrahimovic are not yet certain. It is a ‘more complicated situation’ for the aforementioned duo, who therefore will not return to Italy in the next 24 hours.

It is assumed that the problem for Kessie is the difficulty or apprehension in moving from a delicate area like the Ivory Coast, while Ibra could consider staying in Stockholm for a few more days to continue the program training session with Hammarby.

Looks like Germany is inching closer to restarting as well

===============================

@TaylorTwellman

The green light has been given for the @Bundesliga_EN to restart May 9- behind closed Doors. The health department needs to agree and the league has to present them their plan but as of now things are looking up and up for May 9th return of German soccer.

Ralf Rangnick will join Milan this summer and will be given a powerful role plus a substantial budget to sculpt his squad with.

That is according to SportMediaset (via MilanLive) who confirm that Rangnick will arrive at Milan and Elliott Management will give him a war chest of €130million to begin his revolution with.

A signing will be necessary to replace Gianluigi Donnarumma, whose contract expires in June 2021 with no signs of renewal currently. The strongest candidate is Juan Musso of Udinese, valued at around €25million and is also wanted by Inter. Napoli have put a high valuation on Alex Meret, another goalkeeper Milan like.

For the attack Milan are after Loren Moron, the 26-year-old striker from Real Betis who this season has scored nine goals in 26 games. In his contract there is a €60million release clause, but he could be signed for around half.

For the midfield Rolando Mandragora of Udinese is a target. Juventus should exercise their buy-back option by investing the €26million agreed with the Friulian club, then Milan could come forward, competing for the Italy international against Roma.

Finally there is Dani Olmo, who joined Leipzig in January after Zvonimir Boban’s unsuccessful attempt to bring him to Milan. The Spanish talent has not gelled well with coach Julian Nagelsmann, who used him less than expected. The former Dinamo Zagreb star could consider a new transfer if the situation does not change.
Milan want Ragnick signed to negotiate a deal with Brescia for Sandro Tonali which is a separate budget in itself 

1. Ali Dia

Is BeBe up there? Man U legend.

Having Italian football back in anyway will help the healing process in Italy. Soccer is a huge part of Italian culture. In 06 a lot of the Calicio Scampolio stuff going on plus issues in the country when Italy left for the 06 World Cup. Since winning to this day Italians whenever they see them thank them. As a way to give back recently Captain Fabio Cannavaro who now manages in Chineese Super League had his teammates start a go fund me that fans contributed. The money raised went directly to the Italian Red Cross. 

El Floppo said:
Is BeBe up there? Man U legend.
Of Course!

7. Bebe

One of the most bizarre signings in Manchester United’s history, Ferguson was encouraged to splash £7.4 million on Bebe by his assistant, Carlos Queiroz. The Portuguese winger looked like a competition winner at Old Trafford.

but not to be outdone in the list for United:

3. Massimo Taibi

Signed by Man Utd for £4.5 million in 1999 as a replacement for the legendary Peter Schmeichel, Massimo Taibi only played four games for the Red Devils before Fergie had seen enough.

And of course:

12. Eric Djemba-Djemba

Signed by Sir Alex Ferguson in 2003 as a long-term replacement for Roy Keane, it soon became clear that Eric Djemba-Djemba wasn’t good enough for Manchester United. So bad they named him twice.

and

50. Radamel Falcao

Arguably the best No. 9 on the planet at his peak. Sadly, Radamel Falcao was unable to shine during loan spells with Manchester United (£4 million per goal) or Chelsea (£265,000 for every shot).

Thanks to whoever put the link of full matches up. I can finally watch the 2-1 Milan Victory to beat Liverpool in the Finals in full. Never seen this full match 

Of Course!

7. Bebe

One of the most bizarre signings in Manchester United’s history, Ferguson was encouraged to splash £7.4 million on Bebe by his assistant, Carlos Queiroz. The Portuguese winger looked like a competition winner at Old Trafford.
For some reason I followed this story closely when they signed him...maybe I had seen some street soccer videos of him, where he was supposedly legendary.

I think I saw him play live on one of those summer tours too. Honestly...Dia is ranked first, and I don't remember that story at all, but the little vid posted above about him- he at least looks like he's been on a soccer field before, playing with others. The same genuinely can't be said about BeBe, who looked like he wanted everybody to stop, stand and watch him do tricks with the ball while rooted to a spot. The second he tried to move...whoa. add taking the ball with him or having even the most remote understanding of the rest of the field...nope. The worst soccer player I've ever seen.

For some reason I followed this story closely when they signed him...maybe I had seen some street soccer videos of him, where he was supposedly legendary.

I think I saw him play live on one of those summer tours too. Honestly...Dia is ranked first, and I don't remember that story at all, but the little vid posted above about him- he at least looks like he's been on a soccer field before, playing with others. The same genuinely can't be said about BeBe, who looked like he wanted everybody to stop, stand and watch him do tricks with the ball while rooted to a spot. The second he tried to move...whoa. add taking the ball with him or having even the most remote understanding of the rest of the field...nope. The worst soccer player I've ever seen.
The story also was that he was 1 of only a handful of players SAF signed that he never saw personally live.  The whole thing was just wierd.

I haven't thought Soares is realistic do to the economic rights to him. Brazil is funky when it comes to who owes what in a player and Soares has like 3-4 different parties with co ownership with Gremio as one. As for Gigi I always have said his intent if it wasn't about Money and contract he'd sign with AC Milan for the rest of his career. It's his boyhood team. Always suspected everything with Gigi was more of Mino Riaola then Donna similar to what Mino did with Paul Pogba. I also think this is all an act by Mino as he knows at this point he's not going to get the commission he originally thought 2-3 yrs ago on the young lad. I think he's trying to make Elliot show they are serious about putting a club who can compete for Champions League. He wanted Gigi to leave the first time as he didn't trust the Chinese which give the Devil his do he was right on. As for Ralf Ragnick I've warmed up to him with the possible rumors. It sounds like we might have an edge to get Timo Werner as Timo really like Ragnick but Timo knows staying at Red Bull he's just gonna be sold anyway. If it was up to him with no transfer he'd stay. Ragnick wants Sandro Tonali and Elliot seems to have a special separate budge for Ralf just for this transfer alone. To me it shows that Elliot is willing to work to put a competent team on the pitch to compete and will allow the Manager/Technical Director do want he wants to form the team in his shape and such. Something Elliot hasn't seemed to want to do since taking over. 

As reported by La Stampa today (via milanlive.it), Gremio’s Everton Sousa Soares is still in the sights of Milan. Reportedly they will try to make an offer this Summer with in their Financial Budget of €75 mil for the Summer. The deal remains complicated due to the economic evaluation of the player but the sales of some players could allow the club to have the budget to invest. There is not only a problem with the price but also with regards to the economic rights to the player.

Gianluigi Donnarumma's future at AC Milan is in question according to Corriere dello Sport. A potential contract renewal of the goalkeeper seems hard at this point. Elliott are concerned, his contract expires in 2021 and Mino Raiola's demands for an extension are quite high. Milan are looking at the goalkeeper market for possible replacements. Corriere dello Sport came up with four possible names that could take Donnarumma's place at the San Siro: Juan Agustin Musso from Udinese, Pierluigi Gollini from Atalanta, Alessio Cragno from Cagliari or Alex Meret from Napoli.

AC Milan are apparently on the verge of agreeing a deal with Ralf Rangnick to take on a role at the club on a three-year deal, a report claims. According to MilanNews, as soon as there will be the possibility to travel Gordon Singer and Ralf Rangnick will have the final meeting to put on paper, definitively, on an agreement for the next three years. The names that are circulating at the moment regarding transfers – including that of Sandro Tonali – are all plausible and fall within the general plan of the next transfer campaign. the directives and names for the players to be signed. As for Tonali, Milan are firmly in the race and has a good portion of their budget ready for him. Much will also depend on the counterparts that may be appreciated by Cellino, but the Rossoneri will try.

So if oil continues to crater are the EPL teams owned by sheiks in for some  "financial hardships"? Will it affect the Newcastle sale?

Was that Kevin Keegan in there?
From 28-33 years old (1980 to 1984) he played for Soton and then Newcastle and had his best run of scoring too - with 85 goals in 146 games.  That's a way better strike rate than he had for either Liverpool or Hamburg. 

It's also better than his strike rate for S####horpe or Blacktown for that matter (I AM NOT MAKING THAT UP).

From 28-33 years old (1980 to 1984) he played for Soton and then Newcastle and had his best run of scoring too - with 85 goals in 146 games.  That's a way better strike rate than he had for either Liverpool or Hamburg. 

It's also better than his strike rate for S####horpe or Blacktown for that matter (I AM NOT MAKING THAT UP).
OmgOmgOmg how did I not know this!

Apparently it’s a done deal to the point the parties can’t back out. Just pending EPL approval. No, I’m afraid everyone is going to have live with the new reality of Mbappe and Messi wearing black and whites. 
BEIN Sports is pressing the EPL to boycott and not allow the Saudis to buy Newcastle United. Claims of the biggest pirating of streams in Saudi Arabia is EPL matches. Also some of the human rights issues with them. I'd agree with them as I can't stand the Saudis as they are Terrorist Apologists and won't try to make this a political thread. I'll just say when people brought up Saudi interest in Buying Milan a lot of those reasons is why I din't want them. However for Newcastle if It gets Ca$hley out I'm all for it 

I don't know if they are the first to announce this but Holland has declared that this current messed up season will have no promotion or relegation.

Users who are viewing this thread