What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (12 Viewers)

Whats this Champions League thing you talk about?

EUROPA LEAGUE IS BACK!!!

UEFA Europa League 2019/20

Quarter-finals, semi-finals and the final will be played as a final eight straight knock-out tournament in Cologne, Duisburg, Düsseldorf and Gelsenkirchen between 10 and 21 August.

The Round of 16 matches will be played on 05/06 August with kick-off times of 18.55CET and 21.00CET. A decision will be made in due course on whether the Round of 16 matches for which the first leg has already been played will be staged at the home team’s venue or in Germany.

The matches FC Internazionale Milano v Getafe CF and Sevilla FC v AS Roma, whose first leg was also postponed, will be played as a single leg at a venue to be confirmed.

All subsequent matches in the competition will be played as a final eight tournament, with quarter-finals on 10/11 August, semi-finals on 16/17 August and the final in Cologne on 21 August, all kicking-off at 21:00CET.

The draws for the 2019/20 UEFA Europa League quarter-finals and semi-finals will take place on 10 July 2020 at UEFA’s headquarters in Nyon and the exact match schedule will be communicated following such draw.

Gdańsk, which was originally appointed to stage the 2020 final will now host the 2021 UEFA Europa League Final, whereas the venues for subsequent finals have all agreed to host these a year later than originally planned, with Sevilla in 2022 and Budapest in 2023.

Chelsea announced the acquisition of Timo Werner, making the strongly-speculated deal official.  It seems Lampard and Petr Cech took an aggressive initiative with Werner and exploited a time of doubt or uncertainty coming from some other suitors to put a deal in place and trigger the player's release clause, which is rumored to be in the range of E60mil.

This was a shocking but welcomed development for me.  Fans always complain about the team being weak in one position or another. For me, this team's biggest hole has been rather obvious for some time.  They were relying on Tammy Abraham for goals, a young player in his first Premier League season. When he got hurt, there really wasn't anyone to fill that void.  The Batshuyai experiment is long over, and it seems Lampard has no faith in Giroud.  With Hazard gone, there really is no one on this team that is a reliable goal-scoring threat. Abraham has 13 goals in 25 appearances, and the next closest player is Mason Mount with 6.  I think this guy can really help the team next season if he can carry over some of that success from the BL to the PL.

Chelsea announced the acquisition of Timo Werner, making the strongly-speculated deal official.  It seems Lampard and Petr Cech took an aggressive initiative with Werner and exploited a time of doubt or uncertainty coming from some other suitors to put a deal in place and trigger the player's release clause, which is rumored to be in the range of E60mil.

This was a shocking but welcomed development for me.  Fans always complain about the team being weak in one position or another. For me, this team's biggest hole has been rather obvious for some time.  They were relying on Tammy Abraham for goals, a young player in his first Premier League season. When he got hurt, there really wasn't anyone to fill that void.  The Batshuyai experiment is long over, and it seems Lampard has no faith in Giroud.  With Hazard gone, there really is no one on this team that is a reliable goal-scoring threat. Abraham has 13 goals in 25 appearances, and the next closest player is Mason Mount with 6.  I think this guy can really help the team next season if he can carry over some of that success from the BL to the PL.
Its a good signing for Chelsea.

In an odd sort of way, the transfer ban came at a fortuitous time.  Chelsea have been able to save the Hazard money and all the loanee fees to now spend at a time when the market is likely to be depressed.

Spurs, on the other hand, well, at least they already have experience with signing nobody during a summer transfer window!

Its a good signing for Chelsea.

In an odd sort of way, the transfer ban came at a fortuitous time.  Chelsea have been able to save the Hazard money and all the loanee fees to now spend at a time when the market is likely to be depressed.

Spurs, on the other hand, well, at least they already have experience with signing nobody during a summer transfer window!
Time will tell, as with all transfers, but it does seem the transfer ban had a silver lining. 

I'm not a big Werner fan at all. Previously on record stating he is way overrated/overpriced.  He misses more clear cut chances than any other player I can think of off the top of my head right now.  As a matter of fact, a recent match I watched the commentator said something to the effect that he seems to blow chances when he has time to think, but if it's just an instinctual movement, he's deadly.  I tend to agree with that.  He is kind of a one trick pony, pure speed.

That said, I think he well could flourish at Chelsea as he's a different striker than they have now.  And they have quite a bit of youth and pace all around the pitch, with guys like Jorginho, Kante and Kovavic to do the heavy lifting.  Could be a nice flowing team in the attack, similar to Liverpool's Mane/Firmino/Salah

I'm not a big Werner fan at all. Previously on record stating he is way overrated/overpriced.  He misses more clear cut chances than any other player I can think of off the top of my head right now.  As a matter of fact, a recent match I watched the commentator said something to the effect that he seems to blow chances when he has time to think, but if it's just an instinctual movement, he's deadly.  I tend to agree with that.  He is kind of a one trick pony, pure speed.

That said, I think he well could flourish at Chelsea as he's a different striker than they have now.  And they have quite a bit of youth and pace all around the pitch, with guys like Jorginho, Kante and Kovavic to do the heavy lifting.  Could be a nice flowing team in the attack, similar to Liverpool's Mane/Firmino/Salah
Not many people on the planet scoring at the rate he does...regardless of how or any misses. And I agree you can look at intangibles and see a number of people who are "better" (Haaland is head and shoulders over him), but that ability can never be over rated imo. He reminds me of guys in leagues who just keep knocking them in, but still probably aren't good enough to play for country.

Timo just turned 24.  He's just hitting his prime and he's already scoring as frequently as anyone in the world right now in a top 5 league.  I agree that he's missed some easy chances in his career, but this year he's done much better in that regard.  He's outpacing his expected goals by a little bit this year.  I think getting some instruction under Lampard is only going to improve that.

Chelsea' attack has just become very dangerous.  Don't forget that they also are adding Ziyech to the equation and I believe he's one of the most underrated players in Europe.  A front three of Pulisic/Werner/Ziyech is a scary trio that could be as good as any front line in England in a few years.  Add Chelsea's incredible midfield to that and wow.  If they can find a LB and maybe an upgrade at GK they'll be able to press Man City and Liverpool IMO.

Chelsea' attack has just become very dangerous.  Don't forget that they also are adding Ziyech to the equation and I believe he's one of the most underrated players in Europe.  A front three of Pulisic/Werner/Ziyech is a scary trio that could be as good as any front line in England in a few years.  Add Chelsea's incredible midfield to that and wow.  If they can find a LB and maybe an upgrade at GK they'll be able to press Man City and Liverpool IMO.
It is hard to imagine Lampard dropping Abraham, and they have a ton invested in Hudson-Odoi, so it is going to be pretty crowded up front next season, even if Willian leaves as expected.  Nice problem to have I suppose.  I hope CP is able to find a regular role in this group.

Not surprising, but this makes me very sad

https://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/2020/june/releasedretainedlist2020/

Going to see quite a bit of this, as lower league teams have pretty much no cash coming in, nor prospects of it any time soon.

Since making his league debut for Rochdale in March 2013, only Sergio Agüero (148), Harry Kane (137) and Jamie Vardy (115) have scored more goals in England's top four tiers than Ian Henderson (112).

Calvin Andrew was also a very good player and Callum Camps was an up and comer who had attracted some attention of higher clubs.  

Can I get an update regarding the CONCACAF Champions League from @NewlyRetired, or anybody for that matter?

:banned:
suspended in the quarters, with 3 MLS sides already losing their first legs and LAFC waiting to play Cruz Azul in their's.

this is the only thing that could've put MLS teams on even footing, at least in terms of being in or out of mid season form. so maybe LA can make a push, or the other teams (montreal, NYC, ATL) can somehow come back if/when 2nd legs are played. that said... only thing I"ve seen past the news from when they announced the "suspension" is that it's cancelled. but not really clear or definitive, unless "suspended" means "cancelled" in CONCACAF lingo or I'm completely off base in reading it as meaning "postponed".

@Mjolnirs, can I get some clarification on the Bayern GK situation? 

TIA :banned:
Neuer is signed through the end of the 2023 season, but they've signed Nubel away from Schalke moving foward.
Sven Ulreich got the start this past Saturday.  Neuer had played the full 90 in all 45 matches in all competitions this season.
Evidently he does not play well with others, as this article suggests:
Nubel's signing

Maybe they will start some type of keeper rotation like Barcelona did between La Liga and the CL.

Worth posting:

Really good this from Ben Mee to be so quick after the game to speak so comprehensively on that feckin banner.

"Some people need to educate themselves'

Burnley defender Ben Mee, speaking to Sky Sports: "It was a tough night. We can talk about football but there is something I would like to speak about first - the plane at the beginning of the game. I am ashamed and embarrassed that a small number of our fans have decided to fly that around the stadium. Completely misses the point. The group of lads in the changing room are embarrassed to see that. It is not what we are about. They have missed what we are trying to achieve. These people need to come into the 21st century and educate themselves. They don't represent what we are about, the club is about, the players are about and the majority of fans are about.

"AS we were coming out we heard some whispers that it was going to happen. The club tried to stop it. I've heard it is a small number that have arranged this and I hope it doesn't happen again. I don't want to associate it with my club. I don't want to see this in the game.

"It is not right. We totally condemn it. These people can learn and be taught what the Black Lives Matter movement is trying to achieve.

"The players have pulled together and this is what we want, what the majority of fans want - equality in society and in football, everything, be it race, religion, gender, LGBTQ community.

"The players have pulled together and we want to make a stand against this for all minorities."

Just stumbled on qUS v Algeria 2010 on FS1. 

83rd minute and still scoreless. We desperately need a breakthrough here - one goal please please please. 

Landon Donovan proving he is overrated.  Where is he in their biggest game?
You'll never get an argument from me on this. I think Clint Dempsey is severely underrated where Landon is super overrated. Also the dude is a hypocrite. When David Beckham went on Loan for 6 months each in 2 straight yrs Donovan went after him for putting himself over the team. Becks was trying to impress the English management to get one last WC. Then Donovan did it himself. Like dude you do not disrespect one of the best players of the late 90s/early 2000s and someone who helped put your league on the map. Then after he retired all I heard on commentary whenever he talked about USMNT was just #####ing that was obviously more pettiness then actual analysis and professionalism. 

You'll never get an argument from me on this. I think Clint Dempsey is severely underrated where Landon is super overrated. Also the dude is a hypocrite. When David Beckham went on Loan for 6 months each in 2 straight yrs Donovan went after him for putting himself over the team. Becks was trying to impress the English management to get one last WC. Then Donovan did it himself. Like dude you do not disrespect one of the best players of the late 90s/early 2000s and someone who helped put your league on the map. Then after he retired all I heard on commentary whenever he talked about USMNT was just #####ing that was obviously more pettiness then actual analysis and professionalism. 
:goodposting: Agree completely.  He also showed so much entitlement, disappearing during qualifying then coming back and expecting to not only make the WC team but start?  He deserved to get cut.

Saw this too: https://soccer.nbcsports.com/2020/05/02/top-10-usmnt-players-in-premier-league-history/

May have been posted earlier, but LD at anything more then an Honorable Mention is ridiculous.  Had LD not said anything, he could have turned his loan spells at Everton into something more then a footnote in his carrer and maybe justified his #9 on the list.  Oh and he always liked being the big fish in the small pond.  

:goodposting: Agree completely.  He also showed so much entitlement, disappearing during qualifying then coming back and expecting to not only make the WC team but start?  He deserved to get cut.

Saw this too: https://soccer.nbcsports.com/2020/05/02/top-10-usmnt-players-in-premier-league-history/

May have been posted earlier, but LD at anything more then an Honorable Mention is ridiculous.  Had LD not said anything, he could have turned his loan spells at Everton into something more then a footnote in his carrer and maybe justified his #9 on the list.  Oh and he always liked being the big fish in the small pond.  
No complaints about LD, but I can't accept Pulisic's 17 games for Chelsea putting him above Boca (who captained Fulham and had over 100 appearances), Claudio and Jay DeMerit (who had almost 200 appearances for Watford and also served as captain but didn't even make the list.)  Also, Brad Friedel should be #1 on this list.  Almost 20 years in the premier league.

No complaints about LD, but I can't accept Pulisic's 17 games for Chelsea putting him above Boca (who captained Fulham and had over 100 appearances), Claudio and Jay DeMerit (who had almost 200 appearances for Watford and also served as captain but didn't even make the list.)  Also, Brad Friedel should be #1 on this list.  Almost 20 years in the premier league.
"Honorable mention: Brad Guzan, DeAndre Yedlin, Jonathan Spector, Joe-Max Moore, Jay DeMerit, John Harkes"

I couldn't argue with you between Friedel and Howard. Top 3 could be in any order. 

Agree on Pulisic.    I don't think he or LD should be on the list, esp when you note DeMerit's body of work.  Claudio was 8th.  Heck evan Guzan, who I am not a fan of, probably deserves to be on the list over CP and LD, despite being on two different relegated teams.

Oh and LD had only 22 appearances across 2 loan spells at Everton, scoring 2 goals.

CP hs 24 appearances at Chelsea, 7 goals (which I think counts up to this past weekend, so 1 appearance and 1 goal more then whats noted in the article)

My favorite player before Dempsey in America was Brian McBride. I also felt McBride was a much overall better player too. I had mixed feelings when Del Piro elbowed him during the 06 WC. Wasn't intentional and McBride also played good sportsmanship despite he was bleeding out like a faucet at that point. The last time USMNT played Italy in a friendly in Italy Del Piro went over to McBride in the stands and apologized personally. McBride handed it with class. You think Landon does that? I highly doubt it. I think anything other than honorable mention on that List is pretty disrespectful to a lot of other Americans. I'd put Yedlin up there before Donovan too. 

The entitlement was nauseating and I forgot about how he left then tried to comeback and then felt he could start.  Yeah his big fish in a small pond reminds me of someone I knew on the Indy Wrestling scene. Wasn't really famous outside of the local tri state area. Had a match or two with the local big promotion but it was always a last minute "hey so and so can't make it can you come in?" type thing as he was local, close and reliable. However he walked around like his #### didn't stink and everyone was like "yeah you might be a great local talent but how come you never tried to sign with a bigger Indy promotion or try to go to one of the mainstream promotions and get on TV if you think you are so good? Then after he retired theres a few local ECW stars in my area and he was at a local bar I was at with the one former ECW guy. He tried to show my buddy up and talk down to some fans and my buddy was not going to take that from some local jabrony who never made it big. 

I should also mentioned Landon acted like a Jackass when I met him at the 2012 All Star game in Philly. I met Beckham finally too then as well as Zusi, Pountis (WHo'd become a Union player a few yrs after this), Eddie Johnson, Jimmy Nielson etc. All were lovely and cool. Landon got upset if you weren't kissing his ### and you could tell he was incredible jealous that a lot of the Philadelphia chapter American Outlaws as well as Sons of Ben Union Supporter section were more into being around Beckham and others then him. 

I also met Cristian Pulisic when USMNT came to Philly and played at the Linc. Cannot express enough how grateful he seemed to have all the local support he got there that night. He was so appreciative and spent almost an hour after the match signing stuff and taking pics with a lot of the kids and adults there. The president of the SOBs at the time also gave him a Union SOB Scarf as he follows the club pretty intensely given they are his local team. The Eagles also did a few things for him as well.  

"Honorable mention: Brad Guzan, DeAndre Yedlin, Jonathan Spector, Joe-Max Moore, Jay DeMerit, John Harkes"

I couldn't argue with you between Friedel and Howard. Top 3 could be in any order. 

Agree on Pulisic.    I don't think he or LD should be on the list, esp when you note DeMerit's body of work.  Claudio was 8th.  Heck evan Guzan, who I am not a fan of, probably deserves to be on the list over CP and LD, despite being on two different relegated teams.
ESPN FC did a video on this a few weeks ago on Top 5 American Keepers ever. Friedel, Keller and Howard were pretty much unanimous top 3 though 

Oh and LD had only 22 appearances across 2 loan spells at Everton, scoring 2 goals.

CP hs 24 appearances at Chelsea, 7 goals (which I think counts up to this past weekend, so 1 appearance and 1 goal more then whats noted in the article)
The ball swinging that the media does for Landon makes me want to vomit. For a guy so entitled and doesn't seem to really care the American media kisses his ### plenty. I guess thats what happens when you are desperate to try and make someone a huge star for American's to follow in this sport. A ton of hype for a guy who was just a good player overall. Maybe he'd have made it in the EPL but we'd never know since he didn't seem like he was that interested in staying longer then he had too. 

Landon was mentally soft. I dont think anyone can deny that.  Just a soft spoken California kid with talent but not that killer instinct.

Had a lot of success at a really young age and then jumped over to Germany into a bad situation and not much support. He just didn't have the drive to make it there without help. (which there wasn't back then). So he slunk back to MLS with his tail between his legs and basically hid there (from a club perspective) for the next decade (other than the short loan spells)

A trail blazer in many ways, but just wasn't comfortable in the spotlight.  His little 2012-13  sabbatical rubbed Klinnsman and others the wrong way for sure (and rightfully so) but it was still petty and stupid to leave him off the 2014 team. He was the best player at the Gold Cup the summer before and he was undoubtedly better than the guys they took over him. The excuse that he was a pure forward and wasn't as good as the ones that they took was ludicrous and everyone knew it. I mean....Brad Davis?  Come on? Even if he was out of shape, he was still better than Wondo.  And obviously we all know why Green was on the team.

If he came along today, I wonder how differently things would have gone for him.   Just a different time.

Users who are viewing this thread