What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (8 Viewers)

Today was the St Louis Go! Marathon and HM. One of the top running guys here just broke the world record for a HM with a stroller in 1:16:06 (5:47 pace). 

Someone's prerace comment to him: "Make sure everyone goes potty before you start"

Last edited by a moderator:
@bushdocda

We both got a kudos from some English guy. I don't see any connection otherwise (mine was from 2 days ago, yours this morning).

Do any of your occasionally get a random kudos from someone you don't know (not the little hot things that are spam and disappear after a short time)?

Today was the St Louis Go! Marathon and HM. One of the top running guys here just broke the world record for a HM with a stroller in 1:16:06 (5:47 pace). 

Someone's prerace comment to him: "Make sure everyone goes potty before you start"
Here it is, btw:  Pretty awesome

I think he beat it by over 1 minute.

@bushdocda

We both got a kudos from some English guy. I don't see any connection otherwise (mine was from 2 days ago, yours this morning).

Do any of your occasionally get a random kudos from someone you don't know (not the little hot things that are spam and disappear after a short time)?
No idea who/what that is. I got some random ones from other groups I’ve joined over time. 

@bushdocda

I've gotten them from races I've done. Generally other people in the race that strava tags together automatically. 

Is it ok to start complaining about the heat yet?

Holy cow, just ran in 74 degrees with sun and just about died out there. I know I've run in far worse and it'll just take some getting used to again, but man that was not fun just now. 

Look what you guys did to me! Now I'm longing for the cold. 

Anyway, just matched my longest streak of 29 days in a row. Another week with 33+ miles, most elevation, and other than today, feeling good during runs. Hoping to see some payoffs in the next couple of weeks as this continues to build.

I promise not to complain about anything between 45-65 with sun, mild wind, and no precipitation.

Anything else is fair game.

ETA -- I actually just ran in a suck index of 136. Of course, I'll be begging for that in 2 months.

Mostly just geese with an attitude.  Sometimes these will come at you if you're near their nest.  I was in a field once taking some photos and got dive-bombed a couple of times.
I see hawks somewhat frequently but in these parts, they leave humans alone.  I remember a few years ago a big one would sit on a fence post right by a sidewalk I’d run on.  A couple of times I ran by not noticing until our heads were maybe three or four feet apart.  I got freaked out and ducked and covered but the hawk would just stay there calmly and watch me.

I see hawks somewhat frequently but in these parts, they leave humans alone.  I remember a few years ago a big one would sit on a fence post right by a sidewalk I’d run on.  A couple of times I ran by not noticing until our heads were maybe three or four feet apart.  I got freaked out and ducked and covered but the hawk would just stay there calmly and watch me.
They usually don't bother humans because they are too big to be prey. You only need to worry if under 140 lbs.......

I’m sure you’ve bought a couple of those big eyes hats. You should be OK.
This shtick cracks me up. The funny thing is, though, I really don't have a lot of stuff. I was basically starting from nothing and had to get some items.

Running related items I've purchased since starting:

Garmin watch, FlipBelt,  BT headphones, gloves, balaclava, socks, shoes, thermal tights, water belt, CamelBak. 

That's it. You can consider the Tracer360 neon vest but that's for my wife even though I've used it a couple times. 

But I'm open to buying more!!

Mostly just geese with an attitude.  Sometimes these will come at you if you're near their nest.  I was in a field once taking some photos and got dive-bombed a couple of times.
The only animals to come after me on a run were a male turkey and a young cow. 

Although there was a mountain lion sighting here on a trail in my town this week. I chose not to run that trail this morning.  I also chose not to mention that sighting to my girlfriend. 

:pickle:

@BassNBrew, congrats on the first Western States qualifier in here for 2020. Way to just grind that thing out, much respect.

@SayWhat?, you and I are next!

Can’t wait to hear about this one BnB!  Hell yeah man!
Thanks guys.  Elementary stuff compared to Superior and Western States finishes.  Just glad to get past the 3 consecutive DNFs at this distance.  Other than some of the steep hills, Umstead is 100% runnable.  8000 ft of elevation gain is a picnic in your book.  Lack of training and being a fatass made it challenge.  The balls of my feet ended up blistering and made every step of the last 25 miles painful.  Not sure if that was lack of miles, shoes, or the cinders working their way through the socks.  I've got to figure that issue out.  

After the ride home and into today, I can't get around without my sticks.  Everyone is getting a kick out of seeing me hobble around.  The 15 foot trek from the couch to the bathroom is an adventure.

Thanks guys.  Elementary stuff compared to Superior and Western States finishes.  Just glad to get past the 3 consecutive DNFs at this distance.  Other than some of the steep hills, Umstead is 100% runnable.  8000 ft of elevation gain is a picnic in your book.  Lack of training and being a fatass made it challenge.  The balls of my feet ended up blistering and made every step of the last 25 miles painful.  Not sure if that was lack of miles, shoes, or the cinders working their way through the socks.  I've got to figure that issue out.  

After the ride home and into today, I can't get around without my sticks.  Everyone is getting a kick out of seeing me hobble around.  The 15 foot trek from the couch to the bathroom is an adventure.
The bolded is just amazing to me. 

Just a "la di da I figure I"ll just wake up one day and decide to run a 100 mile ultra without any real prep and pretty much kill it including having blisters on my feet for the last MARATHON distance of the race and qualify for Western States and drink lots of beer and lots of beets and in general just be a badass even though I didn't negative split this sombich because negative splitting is for pooosays who only want to guarantee a finish"

-- @ChiefD

Holy cow, just ran in 74 degrees with sun and just about died out there. I know I've run in far worse and it'll just take some getting used to again, but man that was not fun just now. 
LOL, I feel ya, brother.  I woke up a little late this morning and figured I'd just run later this afternoon after work.  Checked my phone and saw a high temperature of 70 degrees, and immediately got dressed and headed out the door for a really nice 5-miler with temps in the upper 40s.  Screw that warm ish.

Just a "la di da I figure I"ll just wake up one day and decide to run a 100 mile ultra without any real prep and pretty much kill it including having blisters on my feet for the last MARATHON distance of the race and qualify for Western States and drink lots of beer and lots of beets and in general just be a badass even though I didn't negative split this sombich because negative splitting is for pooosays who only want to guarantee a finish"

-- @ChiefD
This schtick never gets old... :lmao:

I know that walk well. And 100 miles is a 100 miles, regardless.  Don’t downplay it, you beast!

Do you change socks?  Even without @tri-man 47 around, I usually clean and re-lube my feet and put on a fresh pair of socks every 25-30 miles. I still usually end up with some blisters by the end, but I think it helps. I’ve never been a tape guy, but lots of people swear by that and I’d think the balls of your feet would be a good spot for that.

LOL, I feel ya, brother.  I woke up a little late this morning and figured I'd just run later this afternoon after work.  Checked my phone and saw a high temperature of 70 degrees, and immediately got dressed and headed out the door for a really nice 5-miler with temps in the upper 40s.  Screw that warm ish.
You sure it was upper 40s? No Klimat for your runs....yet.

If it's actually hot, sure.  If it's a number that starts with a 7 though?

At the time I was a little bummed I felt I needed to cut my run Saturday a little short (9 instead of the scheduled 12), but I just realized I had my first 8 hour exercise week of the year.  So I just scheduled too much last week.  In a good spot as the weather's breaking, but this weekend confirmed I should keep racing out of my mind until after track season.  Practice 4 nights per week with meets both days over the weekend?  Exhausting.  I'm gonna see what sorta shape I'm in mid-May then decide if I want to find a race before we vacation early June, but any thoughts of sooner are now gone.

I know that walk well. And 100 miles is a 100 miles, regardless.  Don’t downplay it, you beast!

Do you change socks?  Even without @tri-man 47 around, I usually clean and re-lube my feet and put on a fresh pair of socks every 25-30 miles. I still usually end up with some blisters by the end, but I think it helps. I’ve never been a tape guy, but lots of people swear by that and I’d think the balls of your feet would be a good spot for that.
I started with a pair of Nikes that only had 26.2 miles on them.  They were a bit tight, but not too bad.  Switched at mile 67.5 and changed socks and popped some small blisters.  I think the issue was that the foot glide I used was holding all the cinders between my toes so the sock change didn't work.  Really needed a bucket with water.  Should have used gators.  Put on a pair of Altras.  these had always been a veery comfortable shoes, but the front of the toe box felt like a piece of wood.  Immediately switched to an old pair of Saucony's that were a size up and probably had 1000 miles on them.  They were very comfy, but the lacking of cushion on the gravel ended up not being good and I think they were too loose which helped promote the ball of foot blisters.  Switched back to the Nikes at mile 87.5.  That was pretty much a trade off as the cushioning helped, but the ankle rub wasn't fun.

Funny you mentioned tape.  I spent hours thinking about if that would be useful.  Guess there would be some information on youtube?

Duuuuuuude, "elementary stuff" regarding running 100 miles?  C'mon, that's nonsense!  That's freaking impressive, especially considering you felt undertrained and dealt with blister issues for the last quarter of the race.  Thus far my only DNF was in an "elementary stuff" 100 miler with a similar ~8000 feet of vertical gain.  I definitely wasn't as mentally tough that day as you were this weekend, that's for sure.    Don't downplay your accomplishment at all, as lots can go wrong in a 100 miler no matter the course. 

Pretty much this.  I don't change socks very often, but have historically lubed my feet before the race and every 25-30 miles just as Duck mentioned.  And cleaning your feet seems to help too, as that dust/dirt/grime can definitely aid a blister in getting to a place you don't want it to go.  I think the shoes with only 26 miles on them may have contributed a bit as well, as that's a pretty new pair of shoes. 

Users who are viewing this thread