What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (3 Viewers)

Ok, I'm not expecting to see improvements so early in this, but I also wasn't expecting to see a decrease in performance.

I don't know what to make of it, but my times are getting noticeably slower.  I've run this route I did you morning three times now. It's the least hilly and the temps today were the best conditions I've run in.

7/1 -- 11:30/mile average

7/4 -- 11:38/mile average

7/7 -- 11:49/mile average

That doesn't seem good. I know, small sample, but wtf?
How many times have you run 36 miles in a week?

Brief RR

Swim kinda stunk. Got behind 3 bozos who couldn’t sight and didn’t mind banging bodies. They were fast enough for me not to pass but when I tried to draft they were all over the place. First half of the swim was just not fun. 

Bike was good but not good enough. Wanted 20+ got 19.9 :shrug:   It takes me like 40 min to get comfortable on the bike. The first 20 minutes was up hill. Not crazy slope but not nice. It wasn’t fun and I was kinda worried as I don’t really know how to pace on the bike.  Close enough to my goal, but would have loved a 20.4 or something. 

The run came out of no where. First 3 miles were amazing. Faster pace than my Sprint tri 5k distance like a month ago. About mile 4 I was hurting some. Not crazy pain, but uncomfortable. Mile 5.5 I was ready to be done. Ran a 7:35, super stoked. 

Fatigued but ready for more. Fingers crossed Hip Flexor is all set. Shoulder is still fuked but not a problem in the swim, only an issue in str training. 

Very happy with the result
Awesome! 

Great run off the bike!

• Thanks
Reactions: JAA
Brief RR

Swim kinda stunk. Got behind 3 bozos who couldn’t sight and didn’t mind banging bodies. They were fast enough for me not to pass but when I tried to draft they were all over the place. First half of the swim was just not fun. 

Bike was good but not good enough. Wanted 20+ got 19.9 :shrug:   It takes me like 40 min to get comfortable on the bike. The first 20 minutes was up hill. Not crazy slope but not nice. It wasn’t fun and I was kinda worried as I don’t really know how to pace on the bike.  Close enough to my goal, but would have loved a 20.4 or something. 

The run came out of no where. First 3 miles were amazing. Faster pace than my Sprint tri 5k distance like a month ago. About mile 4 I was hurting some. Not crazy pain, but uncomfortable. Mile 5.5 I was ready to be done. Ran a 7:35, super stoked. 

Fatigued but ready for more. Fingers crossed Hip Flexor is all set. Shoulder is still fuked but not a problem in the swim, only an issue in str training. 

:hifive:  Nice work, especially after the less than enjoyable start! 

• Thanks
Brief RR

Congrats!!

One of my slowest 5K times, but I did check my 2 boxes of negative split and pint glass (2nd in AG; top 3 get glass).  Surprisingly content - I wasn't setting out to run my fastest ever and my time was reflective of this.    As expected, calf was fine during race and a little inflamed post race.
Seems like a good race, way to go!

Mt. Marathon had its 92nd running yesterday in Seward, AK.  The most versatile runner on the planet*, Max King, took the win after finishing 2nd last year.  This event is crazy in many ways in that it’s the most watched sporting event in Alaska, is the oldest mountain race in the country, has no set route, and is basically straight up and straight down a mountain - a 5K race that runs up to 2,091’ and back down again.

The entire event is televised, which is obviously rare in trail running.  It’s worth watching parts of it, I’d suggest the first 8 minutes to get a feel for the race and an early climb, and then skip to about the 20 minute mark to watch the brutal climb to the peak and then the descent.  So crazy. 

*Olympic Trials in marathon and steeplechase, 100K world champion, world trail champion, and has dropped a 4-minute mile. 
So I put this on the TV yesterday to watch.  Amazing how fast these guys can climb and then even more amazing how they go all-in on the downhill.  

My wife was in the room with me and watching the coverage.

@Zasada's wife:  "You've been trail running for a couple years now, I don't understand why don't you have muscles like those guys?"

@Zasada:   :bag:   :kicksrock:

She said it with the tone/context "you must be frustrated" rather than "I wish you looked like that".  But still, she really knows how to pump a guy up...

Last edited by a moderator:
Spent 8+ days in Italy, ate a ton of delicious food and drank all the wine, and still came back within a pound or two of where I left.  I'd call that success.

With high temps in the 90s every single day, had to get up super early to run while temps were "only" in the 60s/70s, but I managed to get out there every day.  Was even able to connect with a local running group and join them on Friday for their morning run. 

More impressive was my 8-day gelato streak.  Even managed a couple of doubles in there.

Got back yesterday afternoon and got out this morning for an easy 7-miler.  Temps in the 50s felt glorious.  Dances with Dirt Devil's Lake half marathon coming up this Saturday.  With over 1,000 feet of elevation gain (including one 500-foot climb), not an easy race for flatlanders like me.  Needed sub-1:38 for top 10 last year, so that's the goal. 

Got back yesterday afternoon and got out this morning for an easy 7-miler.  Temps in the 50s felt glorious.  Dances with Dirt Devil's Lake half marathon coming up this Saturday.  With over 1,000 feet of elevation gain (including one 500-foot climb), not an easy race for flatlanders like me.  Needed sub-1:38 for top 10 last year, so that's the goal. 
I've hiked those hills at Devil's Lake.  That's gonna be helluva workout. 

I've hiked those hills at Devil's Lake.  That's gonna be helluva workout. 
Yeah, I've done the race 2-3 times before, and I've never done well.  But I'll be going into this one in better shape than for any of my previous attempts, so we'll see...

I'm really starting to kind of like this heat running thing... sucks on one hand but I swear I feel myself getting stronger daily because of it. I know it's mostly a mental thing but I don't care. First mile was about 8:40 then blew threw 2-5 all at just under 8 min/mile and felt great mostly* doing it.

* Only part that really sucked was about a mile stretch at the end of mile 4 and beginning of mile 5 that had the wind at my back and was on asphalt that was just emanating heat that was straight from Hades itself!

Find myself anxiously awaiting Saturdays for the long runs... 

I'm really starting to kind of like this heat running thing... sucks on one hand but I swear I feel myself getting stronger daily because of it. I know it's mostly a mental thing but I don't care. First mile was about 8:40 then blew threw 2-5 all at just under 8 min/mile and felt great mostly* doing it.

* Only part that really sucked was about a mile stretch at the end of mile 4 and beginning of mile 5 that had the wind at my back and was on asphalt that was just emanating heat that was straight from Hades itself!

I'm back to enjoying the heat as well.  It takes a little to get used to it but now I don't mind.  I ##### about it, but overall it's a good feeling to sweat out there.

• Love

Enjoy it now. That enthusiasm will wane by week 10.

Mt. Marathon had its 92nd running yesterday in Seward, AK.  The most versatile runner on the planet*, Max King, took the win after finishing 2nd last year.  This event is crazy in many ways in that it’s the most watched sporting event in Alaska, is the oldest mountain race in the country, has no set route, and is basically straight up and straight down a mountain - a 5K race that runs up to 2,091’ and back down again.

The entire event is televised, which is obviously rare in trail running.  It’s worth watching parts of it, I’d suggest the first 8 minutes to get a feel for the race and an early climb, and then skip to about the 20 minute mark to watch the brutal climb to the peak and then the descent.  So crazy. 

*Olympic Trials in marathon and steeplechase, 100K world champion, world trail champion, and has dropped a 4-minute mile. 
The video of this descent looks like CGI,  Wow

gianmarco said:
I'm back to enjoying the heat as well.  It takes a little to get used to it but now I don't mind.  I ##### about it, but overall it's a good feeling to sweat out there.
Yeah, I don't know that I'd choose 90° with 90% humidity, but it has its benefits. 

If you don't mind the stink.

• Love
Further up the mountain when they're running down the scree is even crazier.  
Freaking nuts. I ate it at least thrice last summer on a tame trail half with rocks that grab human feet. 

That race reminds me of the one in Europe where people chase the wheel of cheese down the hill.  

@gianmarco - can't remember - are you training for a fall half. I'm looking for one that is relatively flat and close. 

The two here in KC are not ideal, but one of them is that beeeeyitch race that beat me a year and a half-ago. With this year going so well I might need to conquer that one to complete my trifecta.

@gianmarco - can't remember - are you training for a fall half. I'm looking for one that is relatively flat and close. 

The two here in KC are not ideal, but one of them is that beeeeyitch race that beat me a year and a half-ago. With this year going so well I might need to conquer that one to complete my trifecta.
I had earmarked the HM where I did my only one last year and struggled.  But I haven't signed up and have 99% decided against it.  I'm only signed up for a 15K in late November (Hot Chocolate) that @gruecd might come do as well. 

There are 2 big HMs here in the fall.  The Cowbell which is in early October (the one I did last year and my wife has done a few years) and the Go! Halloween on 10/20 that my wife is racing.  That will be her first time doing that race.  Hopefully those extra couple weeks bring better temps.  That's the plan.  I MIGHT do that race depending on how things go, but not likely.

Yeah, I don't know that I'd choose 90° with 90% humidity, but it has its benefits. 

If you don't mind the stink.
I'd like to identify my suck index breaking point this summer. If I have to anyway. I know I can tolerate 160+ but not sure how far into it. Looking like Wednesday may be my first test.

I'd like to identify my suck index breaking point this summer. If I have to anyway. I know I can tolerate 160+ but not sure how far into it. Looking like Wednesday may be my first test.
157 here today. Supposed to get hotter toward the end of the week. I did lose 2 pounds on the run today though.

4 words...

Mon you men tall

Went to a running store on the way to poker tonight and had them analyze my gate and such... had them tell me what I thought I knew but nice to also get some expert info on shoes that match my running. 

That’s not actually a bad idea. I could run the half and cheer you on for the end of your half. Heck, I could run with you the first half if you wanted.

Let me think about that.
That would be fun but technically we could only run the first 7 miles or so before the course splits. 

Brief RR

nicely done JAA.  Bike speed is so course dependent that it's not worth looking at.  Would be interested in your placement relatively to your peers i9n the run/bike.

People shouldn’t be yelled at and made fun of but from the London Marathon’s rules:

Course cut-off times

We are required to keep to a strict schedule for reopening the roads to traffic, therefore you must meet the cut-off times stated below.

The Course Closed Vehicle travels at a seven-hour pace and crosses the Start Line at 11:00, moments after the final participants. If you do not stay ahead of the Course Closed Vehicle, you will be required to move onto the pavement to complete the event. Further information is available below.
If you plan to run with a 7:30 group you shouldn’t expect the same experience.  It’s disappointing that a magazine like Runners World wouldn’t mention the obvious dilemma race organizers face.

Users who are viewing this thread