What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (7 Viewers)

I'm amazed at you guys that don't just crawl into the fetal position for days after crossing the line of these things, let alone...celebrating. I still haven't walked to a vehicle under my own power post marathon.
I always WANT to do crawl into bed post marathon.  However, I’ve learned the best thing with recovery is to keep moving. So I’ll go for several walks in the hours after the marathon to help keep those legs as stretched out as possible.  

My plan:

Arrive Friday afternoon sometime

Expo

Dinner with my buddy who’s doing the half 

Sleep

Race

Post-race beer with you fools

Kilroy’s for 32-oz Long Islands

Tiki Bob’s for dancing and assorted debauchery 

Pass out
I think pass out should come immediately after a 32 ounce Long Island. What in the..... 

Only needed the noxgear vest near the end of the run and really didn't need the headlamp at all but went out for a run with both yesterday evening. Vest is pretty comfortable/non-intrusive and barely noticed the headlamp. I'm ready to take on the fall/winter/spring with less time on the treadmill - really cold temps and snow/ice will drive me inside but otherwise, let's go!

Only needed the noxgear vest near the end of the run and really didn't need the headlamp at all but went out for a run with both yesterday evening. Vest is pretty comfortable/non-intrusive and barely noticed the headlamp. I'm ready to take on the fall/winter/spring with less time on the treadmill - really cold temps and snow/ice will drive me inside but otherwise, let's go!
I wish I shared your enthusiasm.  Kind of piddled around on the treadmill last night because it was cooler and rainy and getting dark.  I can already sense my mood going down at the prospects of shorter days and not being able to be outdoors.  Any recommendations?  I may have to start blocking time during lunch on WFH days to get outside.

I wish I shared your enthusiasm.  Kind of piddled around on the treadmill last night because it was cooler and rainy and getting dark.  I can already sense my mood going down at the prospects of shorter days and not being able to be outdoors.  Any recommendations?  I may have to start blocking time during lunch on WFH days to get outside.
With the proper gear you won't notice the cold five minutes after you start running. The hardest part is getting out the door, once you're moving then you'll be fine (most of the time).

My winter is quite a bit different than yours, but I workout at lunch every day all year, so if you can do that I would. I come in early to facilitate the longer break. An intangible perk I remind myself of whenever I consider putting my application in for a job elsewhere. That lunch workout is lifting 2-3 days per week, which pushes the run to evening though. I typically don't do anything of consequence, but especially during those couple months per year when that means it's also dark. I live in a neighborhood that's conducive to it though. Relatively flat (unlike you), 90+% sidewalks, and I can either avoid busy streets if I want to or when the snow's bad (not an issue for you) then our city clears the way on the sidewalk with a bobcat on the main roads. 

Also, planning purposes - stack your runs for the week early and back load your rest days. This way once your runs for the week are finished then you don't need to worry about finding time to get out there anymore. And if mother nature throws you a curve ball, no big deal - just skip that day and you have built in contingency days on your schedule. Or if you complete them all and still want to get out there anyway, bonus time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Step one is to get some nice cold weather gear. Last winter I bought some under armor tights and hooded shirt. Also picked up some decent but relatively cheap running gloves at Costco. After the first few minutes, I was always pretty comfortable out there temp wise as long as it was like 15 or 20*F +. I didn't really try to go out any colder than that. I mostly did that for weekend runs where I could get out in the mornings. I did most of my weekday running on the treadmill or at the indoor track at one of the local Y's because I didn't have anything for going out in the dark. 

I have come to like the cool weather. It will take a little to re-adjust to it getting actually cold, I'm sure. But last night it was 50 tops when I left and getting cooler with a decently cool breeze. I just had on my shorts and a relatively thin long sleeve running shirt I have from a previous event. I was plenty comfortable. Hands were a little chilly toward the in but not too bad. 

We'll see how much I get out as it gets dark. I think I'll do so plenty. Between the lamp and the vest, I will be able to see and be seen, IMO. I'm sure I'll avoid most of the busier roads and stick to subdivisions and such but should be able to get out plenty.

With the proper gear you won't notice the cold five minutes after you start running. The hardest part is getting out the door, once you're moving then you'll be fine (most of the time).
This.

My -30C (-22F) gear consists of:

• Wool base layer
  • Long-sleeve thermal quarter-zip (tech fabric with heat reflective interior)
  • Long-sleeve wind-resistant quarter zip
  • Soft shell pants
  • Wool socks
  • Touque
  • Neck gaiter
  • Thick mittens
And aside from my cheeks getting a little cold, I actually arrive home sweaty.

If the temps are warmer than that, I just shed layers and trade the soft shell pants for tights.  

GB, I was right with you the last couple winters.  But, what you've been reading in reply to you is true.  As someone from the South that has never been a fan of the cold, here are my recs:

1)  First thing to keep in mind is to dress for 20 degrees warmer.  I don't remember who said it here or if I read elsewhere, but it's so true.  So if it's 50 degrees outside, which I know is probably cold for you, dress how you would if you were just walking outside in 70 degree weather.  I'll get to "exceptions" below.  In other words, that's still shorts and t-shirt weather for most of your run.

Exceptions to the above:

2)  Get a good pair of gloves.  I absolutely love the ones I got and I think they are perfect for running in any kind of cold weather as well as other stuff.  That's something you can wear even with 50 degrees while in shorts and t-shirt and feel much better than without.  It makes a HUGE difference, IMO.  Those gloves are pretty thin and can be used in almost any situation.  I've used them in temps as low as 10 degrees and felt comfortable.  They are one of my favorite buys ever.

3)  Get a thin thermal top or zip that you can wear for the start of the runs if you want to help get you out there.  It'll come off after about 5 minutes but it at least gets you out the door.  Perhaps plan on doing a 5 minute out and back and you can drop it off at your house or car so you don't have to carry it with you the rest of the run.  After that warm up period, you'll feel great.

4)  Some people like hats, I'm not a fan, but that's another option to help you get started.

5)  The ONLY thing you might consider is if running really slow and not sweating or getting your HR up enough, you may have to add a little bit more warmth.  That's what I'm learning with my slow running now.

Otherwise, running in cooler weather really is kind of nice at times.  You just need to get out and try it with the right equipment for it.

Step one is to get some nice cold weather gear. Last winter I bought some under armor tights and hooded shirt. Also picked up some decent but relatively cheap running gloves at Costco. After the first few minutes, I was always pretty comfortable out there temp wise as long as it was like 15 or 20*F +. I didn't really try to go out any colder than that. I mostly did that for weekend runs where I could get out in the mornings. I did most of my weekday running on the treadmill or at the indoor track at one of the local Y's because I didn't have anything for going out in the dark. 

I have come to like the cool weather. It will take a little to re-adjust to it getting actually cold, I'm sure. But last night it was 50 tops when I left and getting cooler with a decently cool breeze. I just had on my shorts and a relatively thin long sleeve running shirt I have from a previous event. I was plenty comfortable. Hands were a little chilly toward the in but not too bad. 

We'll see how much I get out as it gets dark. I think I'll do so plenty. Between the lamp and the vest, I will be able to see and be seen, IMO. I'm sure I'll avoid most of the busier roads and stick to subdivisions and such but should be able to get out plenty.
Cloudy and 50 with 15-20 mph winds...and I was in a sleeveless and shorts yesterday  :lol:  To be fair, I had gloves on to start and I under dressed because I was doing intervals, so I knew I was going to warm up. Took the gloves off for the reps and put them back on for the reset portions - probably didn't need them though.

For temps in the 40's, I just use brown garden gloves that are cut off down to the knuckles.  I just need something on the top (at the base) of my hands.  Kind of a bad-a## look, too.

Couple more thoughts on the winter running:

- I readily admit I’m a poosay with the cold weather and with my weight loss it’s just gotten worse

- I need to try out the headlamp I use for camping and see how well it will work for running - it’s a good once so I assume it will work fine

- it’s always just a PITA with layers and what to do with them when I need to remove them - very lame excuse but I will need to be more strategic with my running routes and/or use the treadmill more (which I don’t want to do)

- I think lack of sunlight and missing being outside is more of a mind#### than missing running - I know I’m in the minority in here on this one 

- I readily admit I’m a poosay with the cold weather and with my weight loss it’s just gotten worse

- I need to try out the headlamp I use for camping and see how well it will work for running - it’s a good once so I assume it will work fine

- it’s always just a PITA with layers and what to do with them when I need to remove them - very lame excuse but I will need to be more strategic with my running routes and/or use the treadmill more (which I don’t want to do)

- I think lack of sunlight and missing being outside is more of a mind#### than missing running - I know I’m in the minority in here on this one 
The removing layers thing can be generally avoided.  Plan on being cold for the first 5 minutes.  Its part of the deal.  After you are moving, you'll warm up. 

If I get too warm in the winter, I remove my hat and my gloves and just carry them.  There is enough heat loss there most times, I find myself comfortable or putting them back on if I get a bit chilled.

One other thing about cold weather running.  I would be careful in doing a super hard workout in bitterly cold weather.  You can stress your body by inhaling large amounts of frigid air into your lungs.  So if its 10 degrees outside and I must do a hard tempo or interval workout, I will take that inside to the treadmill.

That last bullet point is not unique to you

My wife echos the same sentiments re the layers. And I don't disagree with either one of you. It takes trial and error to figure out your own right mix then even after you do it's still a pain in the ###. Compression socks > tights (if necessary) > extra pair of socks (if necessary) > shorts/pants? > shoes > cold gear top > extra layer(s) > headphones > headband > winter hat (if necessary) > turn music on > start run on strava > put gloves on > run. And it has to be done in that order. Then immediately after finishing it's a race like hell to get out of those same clothes and into the shower. And laundry quadruples, if not more. It's a whole lot more simple to just put on shorts > socks > shoes > sometimes shirt > get music/run plugged in then just go and not worry about getting to the shower immediately after finishing, huh.

But like @SteelCurtain just said, just prep as if you'll be cold for the first 5 minutes. And you don't have as many layers to worry about as us notherners.

And one more point about winter running, especially at night:

It sucks. It's cold. It's dark. You don't want to do it. And this is where regular exercise goes off the rails. But you just can't let it happen. And since you have a treadmill, great. At least you have options.

But you just have to do it. 

This.

My -30C (-22F) gear consists of:

• Wool base layer
  • Long-sleeve thermal quarter-zip (tech fabric with heat reflective interior)
  • Long-sleeve wind-resistant quarter zip
  • Soft shell pants
  • Wool socks
  • Touque
  • Neck gaiter
  • Thick mittens
And aside from my cheeks getting a little cold, I actually arrive home sweaty.

If the temps are warmer than that, I just shed layers and trade the soft shell pants for tights.  
I don't know what any of these words mean.  

The biggest bummer about not being in the thread the past few weeks is that I missed much of the Goldilocks season - those few weeks in the Fall and Spring where nobody is #####ing about the weather.  And now here comes winter!

I obviously don't have much to add as I'm so rarely running in anything near what you guys deal with in the winter.  When it does get down into the 30s-low 40s I do go with gloves, and I will wear a beanie sometimes - both of which I often end up taking off and stuffing in my pockets.  And something I haven't seen anybody mention is wearing wool arm sleeves.  Those are great because I'll put them on with a short sleeve shirt and with the gloves they keep me pretty warm at the beginning, then I just roll them down around my wrists once I'm warmed up.

You aren't likely to see me outside running if it is a cold rain or there is any ice/snow on the ground - I'm old and don't need to break a hip or something! But...

- You'll find running out in the cold isn't as bad as you think. Far different that just walking or going out to get in the car or any other non-active event in the cold.

- I had previously only used mine while hiking and camping. Only wore it once, last night, but it wasn't bad. I only turned it on for the last quarter mile - didn't really need it but it was dark enough to see how well it lit the ground. It was comfortable enough and I feel good about it giving sufficient light (as long as I'm not on some crazy terrain). 

- You don't need as many layers as you think. If it is only "chilly" you don't need much at all. If it's actually cold, a good thermal base layer will go a long ways. Just dress a little less than you think you need and let your body heat do a lot of the work once you are into the run. 

- Lack of sunlight and not being outside is a huge factor in depression and other real issues. There's plenty of studies on it. Outside in the dark is better than not outside at all, imo. 

The removing layers thing can be generally avoided.  Plan on being cold for the first 5 minutes.  Its part of the deal.  After you are moving, you'll warm up. 

If I get too warm in the winter, I remove my hat and my gloves and just carry them.  There is enough heat loss there most times, I find myself comfortable or putting them back on if I get a bit chilled.
:goodposting:

Actually that's one of the reasons I really like the under armor base layer I have - the shirt has a hood on it that I can pull off for a while and easily pull back on if my head gets too cold.

The biggest bummer about not being in the thread the past few weeks is that I missed much of the Goldilocks season - those few weeks in the Fall and Spring where nobody is #####ing about the weather.  And now here comes winter!

I obviously don't have much to add as I'm so rarely running in anything near what you guys deal with in the winter.  When it does get down into the 30s-low 40s I do go with gloves, and I will wear a beanie sometimes - both of which I often end up taking off and stuffing in my pockets.  And something I haven't seen anybody mention is wearing wool arm sleeves.  Those are great because I'll put them on with a short sleeve shirt and with the gloves they keep me pretty warm at the beginning, then I just roll them down around my wrists once I'm warmed up.
We're still in wheelhouse weather! Range has been 48-72 the last 14 days. Long range is saying the same through at least the 26th. Just trying to prep our southern virgin so he successfully pops his winter cherry rather than it ending prematurely.

We're still in wheelhouse weather! Range has been 48-72 the last 14 days. Long range is saying the same through at least the 26th. Just trying to prep our southern virgin so he successfully pops his winter cherry rather than it ending prematurely.
Yeah we are 2.5 weeks into the best 8-9 weeks of the year around here for training/racing. 

Yep. It's perfect here right now and looks good for awhile. 

For the first time in a while, I've had to kind of talk myself into going out for my runs this week. I'm fine once out there but something about thinking about going is not exciting. Part of it is just wanting to go do the marathon now and be done with it. Part might just be me turning into a cranky old man. Pretty sure this is going to be a long and painful 3 weeks or so...

For the first time in a while, I've had to kind of talk myself into going out for my runs this week. I'm fine once out there but something about thinking about going is not exciting. Part of it is just wanting to go do the marathon now and be done with it. Part might just be me turning into a cranky old man. Pretty sure this is going to be a long and painful 3 weeks or so...
Like clock work. All of it. Now just wait for taper madness.

Btw, @The Iguana, I believe it was @tri-man 47 that mentioned doing another long run like 17 or 18 miles this weekend. Audible to it and it may help. At least for a few days. Give you something in the interim to stress about then by the time your mind comes back to the real thing you'll be a week closer. Less time for mental gymnastics.

Btw, @The Iguana, I believe it was @tri-man 47 that mentioned doing another long run like 17 or 18 miles this weekend. Audible to it and it may help. At least for a few days. Give you something in the interim to stress about then by the time your mind comes back to the real thing you'll be a week closer. Less time for mental gymnastics.
Yeah, that's the plan for Saturday morning - something in the 15-17 range. 

Damn, @xulf couldn't have asked for much better half marathon conditions for his debut - 48, partly cloudy, and literally no wind.
Yes...looking very favorable at the moment :pickle: .  Earlier this week it was calling for rain in the morning, but any forecast ~5 days out is pretty terrible.

I guess, now, I don't have any excuses!  Starting to get nervous --- I have only done two "fun" runs (5K/4-Miler) where I just ran/jogged with my wife, so the whole "race" atmosphere is going to be new to me.  Then there's the "oh crap, I've never ran this far in my life" and the "my knee is a little creaky and its colder out" things going on in my head.  Overall, I'm feeling good and excited as long as my knee let's me finish. (don't start too fast, don't start too fast, don't start too fast)

Yes...looking very favorable at the moment :pickle: .  Earlier this week it was calling for rain in the morning, but any forecast ~5 days out is pretty terrible.

I guess, now, I don't have any excuses!  Starting to get nervous --- I have only done a two "fun" runs (5K/4-Miler) where I just ran/jogged with my wife, so the whole "race" atmosphere is going to be new to me.  Then there's the "oh crap, I've never ran this far in my life" and the "my knee is a little creaky and its colder out" things going on in my head.  Overall, I'm feeling good and excited as long as my knee let's me finish. (don't start too fast, don't start too fast, don't start too fast)
Excited for you. Can't wait to see how you do but based on your runs, I think you're going to surprise yourself.

Tracking info?

I guess, now, I don't have any excuses!  Starting to get nervous --- I have only done a two "fun" runs (5K/4-Miler) where I just ran/jogged with my wife, so the whole "race" atmosphere is going to be new to me.  Then there's the "oh crap, I've never ran this far in my life" and the "my knee is a little creaky and its colder out" things going on in my head.  Overall, I'm feeling good and excited as long as my knee let's me finish. (don't start too fast, don't start too fast, don't start too fast)
No more salads or fiber until after the race.

Users who are viewing this thread