What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (17 Viewers)

Just signed up for a couple sessions with the on-site massage therapist - one for this Thursday and one for the Thursday before race day. 

@xulf - are you planning to a more detailed race report? Would love to read some details on how you crushed that thing. 

@gianmarco - any update from the BH on how she thought her race went? She happy/sad/other? Was the PR a result of dedicating her performance to the tree? 

Frank Lloyd Wright 5K race report

20:26 (6:34/mile) ..Avg HR 147

1st of 21 in AG; 23rd of 882 overall

This certainly wasn't an "A" race for me ...more just getting myself into race mentality for next week's marathon.  I was sloppy enough that I didn't even remember to do packet pick-up on Saturday (tho' no big deal doing it Sunday morning).  My university is a major sponsor of the race (they also have a large 10K), so I do like to run it.  As it turned out, and is not uncommon, I was the first runner from the university to cross the finish line.

Sleep was fine the night before.  In the morning, had some banana bread and, a bit later, a banana.  Did a bit of 'business,' then later did a lot of business.  I've still been dealing with an intestinal issue, so right after the second sit-down I popped a couple of immodium tablets.  I had no GI issues through the morning or rest of the day.  Temps were ideal for the morning - mid 50s and clear.  I headed out the door an hour before the race for an easy run over to the local HS where the race was staged.  Ended up doing about 2 miles before the race, although it was weird - as I left the house, my watch for some reason @Zasada'ed the first split with an early km split instead of the mile split.  Everything after that was back to normal miles.  :shrug:   The legs felt great.  By the time I got to the race site, I was fully loosened up and ready to go.  I chatted with the university crowd and other friends that I saw while also slipping in some light running and accelerations ...tons of nervous, positive energy!  

Mile 1: 6:37/mi ...HR 142

I started quite near the front, knowing a lot of folks would pop too hard out of the gate, which was the case.  Other people shot by me, too, even though I sprung out quite quickly.  Per usual, though, many of those runners starting fading back within the first half mile.  My plan was to go hard and see where the mile split was at.  I presumed it would be 6:xx.  If it was 6:30 or below, I figured I'd push really hard and see if had a sub-20:00 in me.  Seeing 6:37, I was pleased, and decided to just stay at that pace and not do anything crazy.

Mile 2: 6:34/mi ...HR 146

I was probably sitting in about 30th place at this point with the crowd very much thinned out.  We had one incline halfway through the mile, and I popped up that quite nicely.  I didn't look at all at my pace or my HR.  The low HR, despite strong effort, continues to baffle me, though in a good way.  Late in the mile we were going through a sequence of six rather quick turns, and I tried to push firm through each one of those.  The two mile time of 13:11'ish was again good to see, but again kept me from the temptation of trying to explode to the finish.

Mile 3: 6:28/mi ...HR 153

We pick up a down slope late in this mile before making a turn for home with a quarter mile to go.  I came down the slope hard and continued to push on the home stretch.  I did notice that on some of the strides in this stretch that the legs had a little wobble as though I might buckle.  So I kept the pace strong and firm, but I didn't try to sprint it in.  Final .1 was at a 6:02/mi pace.  HR again stayed low!  Normally I'd expect to be in the 170s.  Hard to say if it's a function of my training/conditioning or the new watch.  The watch was picking up the HR, so I don't see that it could just be off a little bit.

After finishing, I was ...fine.  I had a drink and a snack, and I also had some conversations with volunteers.  I didn't feel any need to sit down or recover.  As it was, after maybe five minutes, I just turned around and jogged the course in reverse direction to cheer on other runners and to head home.  Even then, the jog home was at an 8:07 pace.  Looking back, I don't feel like I could have gone much faster, given the lack of 5K training, but then again, I do feel like I could have sustained a 6:40'ish pace for more miles.

Legs were (and are) a little sore, but nothing much.  I'll take it easy through the week, having this hard 'tempo' run under my belt.  The Vaporflys felt great, and I'm very eager to see what pace appears next Sunday.  More to come on that!

This certainly wasn't an "A" race for me ...more just getting myself into race mentality for next week's marathon.  I was sloppy enough that I didn't even remember to do packet pick-up on Saturday (tho' no big deal doing it Sunday morning).  My university is a major sponsor of the race (they also have a large 10K), so I do like to run it.  As it turned out, and is not uncommon, I was the first runner from the university to cross the finish line.

Sleep was fine the night before.  In the morning, had some banana bread and, a bit later, a banana.  Did a bit of 'business,' then later did a lot of business.  I've still been dealing with an intestinal issue, so right after the second sit-down I popped a couple of immodium tablets.  I had no GI issues through the morning or rest of the day.  Temps were ideal for the morning - mid 50s and clear.  I headed out the door an hour before the race for an easy run over to the local HS where the race was staged.  Ended up doing about 2 miles before the race, although it was weird - as I left the house, my watch for some reason @Zasada'ed the first split with an early km split instead of the mile split.  Everything after that was back to normal miles.  :shrug:   The legs felt great.  By the time I got to the race site, I was fully loosened up and ready to go.  I chatted with the university crowd and other friends that I saw while also slipping in some light running and accelerations ...tons of nervous, positive energy!  

I started quite near the front, knowing a lot of folks would pop too hard out of the gate, which was the case.  Other people shot by me, too, even though I sprung out quite quickly.  Per usual, though, many of those runners starting fading back within the first half mile.  My plan was to go hard and see where the mile split was at.  I presumed it would be 6:xx.  If it was 6:30 or below, I figured I'd push really hard and see if had a sub-20:00 in me.  Seeing 6:37, I was pleased, and decided to just stay at that pace and not do anything crazy.

I was probably sitting in about 30th place at this point with the crowd very much thinned out.  We had one incline halfway through the mile, and I popped up that quite nicely.  I didn't look at all at my pace or my HR.  The low HR, despite strong effort, continues to baffle me, though in a good way.  Late in the mile we were going through a sequence of six rather quick turns, and I tried to push firm through each one of those.  The two mile time of 13:11'ish was again good to see, but again kept me from the temptation of trying to explode to the finish.

We pick up a down slope late in this mile before making a turn for home with a quarter mile to go.  I came down the slope hard and continued to push on the home stretch.  I did notice that on some of the strides in this stretch that the legs had a little wobble as though I might buckle.  So I kept the pace strong and firm, but I didn't try to sprint it in.  Final .1 was at a 6:02/mi pace.  HR again stayed low!  Normally I'd expect to be in the 170s.  Hard to say if it's a function of my training/conditioning or the new watch.  The watch was picking up the HR, so I don't see that it could just be off a little bit.

After finishing, I was ...fine.  I had a drink and a snack, and I also had some conversations with volunteers.  I didn't feel any need to sit down or recover.  As it was, after maybe five minutes, I just turned around and jogged the course in reverse direction to cheer on other runners and to head home.  Even then, the jog home was at an 8:07 pace.  Looking back, I don't feel like I could have gone much faster, given the lack of 5K training, but then again, I do feel like I could have sustained a 6:40'ish pace for more miles.

Legs were (and are) a little sore, but nothing much.  I'll take it easy through the week, having this hard 'tempo' run under my belt.  The Vaporflys felt great, and I'm very eager to see what pace appears next Sunday.  More to come on that!
Well la-d-da I'll just go ahead and run two miles to my 5k race, then own that sumbeeeyotch to the tune of first place in my age group (as usual) and then have a drink and snack and chat it up before finally just jogging two more miles home at a la-di-da 8:07 pace, which would beat ChiefD and the other slowpokes in a 5k right now, and end up running a total of 7 miles on a 5k race day.....

Well la-d-da I'll just go ahead and run two miles to my 5k race, then own that sumbeeeyotch to the tune of first place in my age group (as usual) and then have a drink and snack and chat it up before finally just jogging two more miles home at a la-di-da 8:07 pace, which would beat ChiefD and the other slowpokes in a 5k right now, and end up running a total of 7 miles on a 5k race day.....
That's what gangsta's do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Working to get some of my mojo back.  I've run 10 of the past 12 days, and got in a little vert with two runs with over 1000' of gain last week. I still haven't run anything long since July, but feeling better than I did a few weeks ago. We'll see if I can get in a good enough shape in the next few weeks to fake my way through the Quad Dipsea at the end of November.  Figure I have to start hitting more vert to get some climbing legs back and toughen up the quads for the downhills, and run at least one 3 1/2 - 4 hour effort in the next 4-5 weeks.  I may even get on the stair master a few time, as there are a few thousand of them in the race.  It has a pretty generous cut off time, but I'd like to not be out there for 9-10 hours!  

I'm also starting to think about the plan for next year, mapping out registration dates, lottery dates, etc., to make sure I have at least one WS100 qualifier locked up for the first half of the year.  

tri-man 47 said:

Questions here - you touched on it some in your race report but I’m trying to learn so sorry for the dumb questions:

- you said that 147 is low and you would expect 170.  Is 170 what you would expect for the whole race or just the last mile?  I’m trying to figure out for my 10k if I should just find a pace I think I can maintain or pick a HR.  

: :wub:

Also great to see Summit on the Strava photo stream today, too.  
Thanks, gb.  Still not doing any off-leash stuff in the hills with him, but I've been taking him on 4-6 mile on-leash runs that are relatively flat, and he seems to be doing fine with those.

I’m trying to figure out for my 10k if I should just find a pace I think I can maintain or pick a HR.
I'll defer to the expert here, but I run to effort.  During the one and only 5K I have really run for time, I pegged my HR at 160 for the whole thing (ignore the first 1/3 which was clearly reading wrong).  170, for me, would have been barf territory.  My theoretical max is 174, but I rarely touch that.  Didn't even get there for my VO2Max test.

Interesting that the very first time I ever ran 5K (two years ago), I had the same HR (coincidentally the first third was garbage there too), but I was 7 minutes slower!  

I just ran as hard as I could legitimately maintain and ignored all the other metrics.

Questions here - you touched on it some in your race report but I’m trying to learn so sorry for the dumb questions:

- you said that 147 is low and you would expect 170.  Is 170 what you would expect for the whole race or just the last mile?  I’m trying to figure out for my 10k if I should just find a pace I think I can maintain or pick a HR.  
Historically, my HR for a hard effort (such as a HM or marathon) would quickly move into the 150s and slowly climb through the 160s and into the 170s.  For a 5K, it might elevate more quickly into the 160s/170s.  It's not linear ...it might, for example, bop around for a bit in the 160s for a few miles mid-race and then start moving again.  Seeing the patterns and ranges in training runs has, historically, given me guidance for races.  Especially for recent marathons, I run more by HR than worrying about pace ...if the HR is in the 150s for the first several miles, I'm well-positioned as it then creeps upward through the middle of the marathon.  

But lately, my HR has not been predictable.  Some days it stays quite low (130s/140s); some days it quickly gets into the 150s - and while it might touch 160s/170s, it then comes down again.  Even during long, tough, hilly mileage at Dances With Dirt (7-9 miles), the HR was mostly in the 140s.  I'm not sure if it's all because of the wrist measurement on my new Fenix vs. the chest strap on my older Garmin ..or because of conditioning or even changes with my heart as I've gotten (even) older.  

Bottom line: I wouldn't say you can "pick" a HR.  But if you know your patterns, you can use that with confidence to know how you stand.  The HR is totally objective, so no guessing if you're having a good day or not.  Knowing your pattern includes knowing how the early race HR will correlate to late race HR.  

But lately, my HR has not been predictable.  Some days it stays quite low (130s/140s); some days it quickly gets into the 150s - and while it might touch 160s/170s, it then comes down again.  Even during long, tough, hilly mileage at Dances With Dirt (7-9 miles), the HR was mostly in the 140s.  I'm not sure if it's all because of the wrist measurement on my new Fenix vs. the chest strap on my older Garmin ..or because of conditioning or even changes with my heart as I've gotten (even) older. 
No offense, but I don't think you can run a mile 2 of a 5K at 6:34 and an average heart rate of 146.  Heck, I can't even do that!   :D

I don't think your watch is accurate.   

Alright....I feel like a jerk. 

I'm in Chicago (admittedly busy all day today), but I'm free for dinner tomorrow night.  I'm staying down near the Navy Pier, but would be open to meeting up with any Chicago guys who might be interested. 

I don't have a car, but am willing to go wherever the train goes.  I don't do buses. 

If anyone is interested, just PM me.  If not, no worries at all. 

@tri-man 47 @Brony @Juxtatarot  Am I missing anyone?

No offense, but I don't think you can run a mile 2 of a 5K at 6:34 and an average heart rate of 146.  Heck, I can't even do that!   :D

I don't think your watch is accurate.   
It's all very strange, for sure.  I just don't get how the watch can be recording data but have such unusual trends.  I did wear the Fenix and the old Garmin w/chest strap together for a run some months ago, and the data was consistent between the two.  And the data consistently appears on the Fenix and fluctuates, so it's not like it has 'dead' periods where it's missing a few dozen ticks each and every minute.  :shrug:   I'll just be running the marathon based on perceived effort (the horror!), and I'm OK with that.

If anyone is interested, just PM me.  If not, no worries at all. 

@tri-man 47 @Brony @Juxtatarot  Am I missing anyone?
Take a look at the el train ...the Green Line, which heads due west and ends in Oak Park (where I live).  They run every 10 or 12 minutes, so they're easy to catch, and after work, there'll be plenty of riders.  The ride from the city to Oak Park would be about 25 minutes after about a 10 minute walk from the Navy Pier area to the el.  You could catch it at either the Washington/Wabash stop or State/Lake (heading west to Harlem Ave.).  If that seems feasible, it be a lot easier than any of us trying to drive into the city around rush hour.  And if that would work, we could see if we want to stay around Oak Park or someplace nearby that would work for the others, if they're free.  I'd be willing to drive  you back in afterwards.

Due to the recent and past weather, I decided it may be a good idea to sign up for a different marathon. The forecast for my half marathon this weekend really got me thinking about my marathon in March. In March, it could easily be 80 degrees at the start with a high humidity. After running in this weather the past few days, I’ve realized that once I hit about mile 5, I am cooked. I still plan to run the half this weekend, but I will most likely play it conservative and start around 7:00-7:15 per mile and pray I can hold on. The data says I should be able to beat my time from last year 6:47 per mile, but last year the weather was amazing with a 92 SI as opposed to 154 this weekend. 

So that brings me to the actual marathon in March. I would hate to go through all this training and have it go to waste because of a normal weather day here. Ideally, I’d like to sign up for one after in case the weather is bad. However, I want to stay somewhat local because the last 2 times I traveled to run didn’t work out so well. After doing some searching, I stumbled upon the Celebration Marathon near Orlando. The course is pancake flat and the weather should be absolutely perfect on January 26th. Average low is 48 and average high is 72. Based on how my training is at that point, I’ll decide whether to race the January marathon or use it as one of my “20 milers” during the cycle leading to the March marathon.

I plan to start my cycle on 11/11. I have been getting at least 30 mpw and am probably close to the best shape I have ever been in. That will be about a 10 week cycle if I decide to race the January marathon, and a 17 week cycle for the March marathon. I realize 10 weeks is not ideal, but leading up to my PR marathon I only had a 10 week cycle with absolutely no running the 6 weeks prior. I was also a BMF at the time, so I am taking this into account as well. This is all assuming I can stay relatively healthy. Would love to hear any thoughts about my current plans. 

4.167 miles in an hour, on relatively flat ground.  Sounds easy, right?  But how many times in a row can you do that?  

That's the format for Big's Backyard Ultra, brought to you by the same mind that runs The Barkley Marathon.  You have an hour to finish the loop, and at the top of each hour anyone left heads out again, and they keep doing that until only one remains.  It began Saturday morning and just ended a few minutes ago, with Maggie Guterl outlasting the field (and all of the men!) to the tune of 60 laps for 250 miles.  

That's getting some.

4.167 miles in an hour, on relatively flat ground.  Sounds easy, right?  But how many times in a row can you do that?  

That's the format for Big's Backyard Ultra, brought to you by the same mind that runs The Barkley Marathon.  You have an hour to finish the loop, and at the top of each hour anyone left heads out again, and they keep doing that until only one remains.  It began Saturday morning and just ended a few minutes ago, with Maggie Guterl outlasting the field (and all of the men!) to the tune of 60 laps for 250 miles.  

That's getting some.
Curious what the strategy is for the top folks.  Do you run the early laps really slow with limited rest or run fast and take a longer rest?  Mix it up?  You could also run really fast and then run the next lap after delaying your start and get an extended break.  

Would love to hear any thoughts about my current plans.
I'll ignore the part about you not wanting to travel and suggest you come run Houston with me in January.  I'll enjoy the 10 seconds of running with you and then you can #BMF your way to a PR, miles in front of me.  Course is flat, lots of spectators, and very well organized.  Was 34F at the start this year (which, is not the norm, but still cooler than FL).

And then after you can eat your way across the city with me.  Best food (taste/value/variety) in the country (Mexican, Tex-Mex, BBQ, cajun/creole, Vietnamese).  Yes, I said that.  Fight me.

Noticed that my VO2 Max per my watch is now reporting to be 50. It was registering 42 when I got the watch for Christmas last year. No idea how meaningful the measurement is and/or how significant that change is but per Garmin connect I've gone from the top end of "Fair" all the way to the upper part of "Excellent", which is pretty fun. Kind of glad that I have no way of knowing how bad I rated when I started this journey... 

Also picked up some new shoes on my way home. Same make/model as my existing ones but they would be creeping up in mileage by 11/9 so wanted to get another pair to put a few miles on them before the full. 

Noticed that my VO2 Max per my watch is now reporting to be 50. It was registering 42 when I got the watch for Christmas last year. No idea how meaningful the measurement is and/or how significant that change is but per Garmin connect I've gone from the top end of "Fair" all the way to the upper part of "Excellent", which is pretty fun. Kind of glad that I have no way of knowing how bad I rated when I started this journey... 

Also picked up some new shoes on my way home. Same make/model as my existing ones but they would be creeping up in mileage by 11/9 so wanted to get another pair to put a few miles on them before the full. 
My Garmin VO2Max was about 2-3 points higher than the formal test I got (treadmill/mask).  But, like you, I have improved in Garmin numbers from 51 to 56 over the last year.

Curious what the strategy is for the top folks.  Do you run the early laps really slow with limited rest or run fast and take a longer rest?  Mix it up?  You could also run really fast and then run the next lap after delaying your start and get an extended break.  
You can't do that - if you don't go off the start at the top of the hour, you're out.  I think everyone pretty much tries to run 52-56 minute loops giving them a couple of minutes to eat, have crew deal with their feet, change clothes, or take a 2 minute power nap.  

You can't do that - if you don't go off the start at the top of the hour, you're out.  I think everyone pretty much tries to run 52-56 minute loops giving them a couple of minutes to eat, have crew deal with their feet, change clothes, or take a 2 minute power nap.  
Gotcha - there’s definitely some interesting strategy, especially early on.

Due to the recent and past weather, I decided it may be a good idea to sign up for a different marathon. The forecast for my half marathon this weekend really got me thinking about my marathon in March. In March, it could easily be 80 degrees at the start with a high humidity. After running in this weather the past few days, I’ve realized that once I hit about mile 5, I am cooked. I still plan to run the half this weekend, but I will most likely play it conservative and start around 7:00-7:15 per mile and pray I can hold on. The data says I should be able to beat my time from last year 6:47 per mile, but last year the weather was amazing with a 92 SI as opposed to 154 this weekend. 

So that brings me to the actual marathon in March. I would hate to go through all this training and have it go to waste because of a normal weather day here. Ideally, I’d like to sign up for one after in case the weather is bad. However, I want to stay somewhat local because the last 2 times I traveled to run didn’t work out so well. After doing some searching, I stumbled upon the Celebration Marathon near Orlando. The course is pancake flat and the weather should be absolutely perfect on January 26th. Average low is 48 and average high is 72. Based on how my training is at that point, I’ll decide whether to race the January marathon or use it as one of my “20 milers” during the cycle leading to the March marathon.

I plan to start my cycle on 11/11. I have been getting at least 30 mpw and am probably close to the best shape I have ever been in. That will be about a 10 week cycle if I decide to race the January marathon, and a 17 week cycle for the March marathon. I realize 10 weeks is not ideal, but leading up to my PR marathon I only had a 10 week cycle with absolutely no running the 6 weeks prior. I was also a BMF at the time, so I am taking this into account as well. This is all assuming I can stay relatively healthy. Would love to hear any thoughts about my current plans. 
I'm pacing Miami Marathon on February 9.  Just sayin'

Seriously, Miami is warmer than Celebration.  I know my pace company works that race and I've heard its a pretty fast course and Orlando gives you a better chance of it being cooler in the AM since its inland.

My 3 cents.

Glad your running this weekend and I like the plan to get a cooler earlier race scheduled. That will provide a big mental boost I think. You say you’ve got 10 weeks from 11/11 but you can perhaps pull that up a week even if you recover next week from the half to not go right into workouts. Not sure what workouts/approach you’re favoring but you can put 8-9 weeks of quality in, assess whether to taper or use Jan 26 as loooong run in favor of a few more weeks quality. You could recover and then repeat the appropriate # of quality weeks until taper for March race.  

Caveat- It’s a lot in a little time which worries me with your leg so please don’t make short term choice to the detriment of your longer term running. Not sure whether intensity or duration flares it the most but manage/avoid what triggers it and have a big sleep & recovery focus.

(We all should) 👆 

My 3 cents.

Glad your running this weekend and I like the plan to get a cooler earlier race scheduled. That will provide a big mental boost I think. You say you’ve got 10 weeks from 11/11 but you can perhaps pull that up a week even if you recover next week from the half to not go right into workouts. Not sure what workouts/approach you’re favoring but you can put 8-9 weeks of quality in, assess whether to taper or use Jan 26 as loooong run in favor of a few more weeks quality. You could recover and then repeat the appropriate # of quality weeks until taper for March race.  

Caveat- It’s a lot in a little time which worries me with your leg so please don’t make short term choice to the detriment of your longer term running. Not sure whether intensity or duration flares it the most but manage/avoid what triggers it and have a big sleep & recovery focus.

(We all should) 👆 
Thanks for the 3 cents. As for the workouts, I’m not sure what the training is going to look like. I may just stick with something similar as to what I have been doing. Easy miles 4 out of the 6 days. Workout on Wednesdays and long run on Saturdays. The only difference is I would like to up the mileage. I have been steadily increasing the past few weeks to be around 50 at the start. I’d like to get somewhere around 65 at the most for a few weeks. I will be cautious of my injuries. I didn’t run the last 2 marathons I was signed up for because of them. 

Take a look at the el train ...the Green Line, which heads due west and ends in Oak Park (where I live).  They run every 10 or 12 minutes, so they're easy to catch, and after work, there'll be plenty of riders.  The ride from the city to Oak Park would be about 25 minutes after about a 10 minute walk from the Navy Pier area to the el.  You could catch it at either the Washington/Wabash stop or State/Lake (heading west to Harlem Ave.).  If that seems feasible, it be a lot easier than any of us trying to drive into the city around rush hour.  And if that would work, we could see if we want to stay around Oak Park or someplace nearby that would work for the others, if they're free.  I'd be willing to drive  you back in afterwards.
Count me in!  I’ll take train out to Oak Park and leave my hotel between 5 and 5:30.  I’m happy to take the train back in. I’ll bring my book to kill time on the train.  👍 

I’ve got your cell so I’ll text you this afternoon once I can nail down my departure time.  Need to do my interval workout this afternoon before dinner.

Off to the doc I go.

Core muscle injury not getting better. Started getting some shooting pain down my left groin muscle. I've also had some stomach pain for the last few months I attributed to stress, but trying to figure out if this is all related.

On top of that, went to my eye doctor appointment yesterday, and they took my blood pressure for some reason (maybe a new process). Anyway, that number was abnormally high for me - my bp is usually perfect. I've also had periods of shortness of breath, and just weird what I would call heart palpitations, but nothing I would have considered serious. Until now.

Time to see what the heck is going on.

Off to the doc I go.

Core muscle injury not getting better. Started getting some shooting pain down my left groin muscle. I've also had some stomach pain for the last few months I attributed to stress, but trying to figure out if this is all related.

On top of that, went to my eye doctor appointment yesterday, and they took my blood pressure for some reason (maybe a new process). Anyway, that number was abnormally high for me - my bp is usually perfect. I've also had periods of shortness of breath, and just weird what I would call heart palpitations, but nothing I would have considered serious. Until now.

Time to see what the heck is going on.
menopause.

tri-man 47 said:

So ready to see what you drop for a time in the marathon.  

No mention of a medal...what's up with that?

CT scan on stomach coming. Possible EKG on the heart coming. 

No hernia on the core muscle, but tenderness there.

Ok, so the EKG was normal. She gave me a cardio referral anyway, which I will take advantage of just to rule out anything there.

CT Scan will be coming up in a few days when approved by insurance at the imaging center. I am mildly concerned about this one, but hopefully no issues there. Will also follow up with the GI doc.

As mentioned above, no hernia so that's a nice relief.

So to sum it up - there may be some correlation to what's going on in the stomach with the shortness of breath and heart palpitations. The fact that it doesn't really happen when I run is a good thing. So what I'm feeling there is probably a mix of acid from the stomach issues. But she wants a cardiologist to run some tests to make sure.

Have the rest of the day off - may go do a trail run. Beautiful here today.

God bless you for trying out a gut and core injury out at a quick care joint, but sounds pretty good with scans and ####.  Not sure they will do much for the strain but hopefully they are helpful.

Tell me more about the core thing and perhaps refer back some dozens of pages to my numerous installments of PT/groin chronicles.  I need a copy/paste for these effing things, they are the worst.

My advice that is largely serious. Outsource some of the shoveling work around the house (chopping down a tree almost ruined me this summer when I was healthy), see a PT who can assess your adductors/abductors, lower abs, groin, psoas and try to find the source and relieve the hotspots if identified.  You’ll end up doing side walks and clamshells at some point so just start now. I also now do a thing where I put my lower legs flat on the couch, have my back flat, put a ball by my knees - then same time squeeze ball together with knees and press heels down and into the couch. Produces good tension throughout the whole hammy/glute/ab/groin mix down there. 

Good luck. 

First one at the quick care this morning.

I’m gonna ask for my medal.

IN YOUR FACE @tri-man 47!!!!
:sigh:  Show some respect, sonny boy.  I was going to offer to travel down and offer my massage skills for the sore groin, but that's off now.  

Yes, I won a medal ...need to pick it up this afternoon (left right after the race to BMF some quick miles home and then head to church).  

God bless you for trying out a gut and core injury out at a quick care joint, but sounds pretty good with scans and ####.  Not sure they will do much for the strain but hopefully they are helpful.

Tell me more about the core thing and perhaps refer back some dozens of pages to my numerous installments of PT/groin chronicles.  I need a copy/paste for these effing things, they are the worst.

My advice that is largely serious. Outsource some of the shoveling work around the house (chopping down a tree almost ruined me this summer when I was healthy), see a PT who can assess your adductors/abductors, lower abs, groin, psoas and try to find the source and relieve the hotspots if identified.  You’ll end up doing side walks and clamshells at some point so just start now. I also now do a thing where I put my lower legs flat on the couch, have my back flat, put a ball by my knees - then same time squeeze ball together with knees and press heels down and into the couch. Produces good tension throughout the whole hammy/glute/ab/groin mix down there. 

Good luck. 
Yeah, the quick care joint is attached to my primary care doctor, so I figured it best just to start there to start the referral train.

My other option was the ER, but I just didn't want to spend that co-pay if I didn't have to. My imaging co-pay for the CT Scan will be much smaller. I am going to request a colonoscopy from the GI doctor - I'm pretty much due for one anyway.

So this was probably my best plan to get what I needed. I got the EKG there, which alleviated one of my worries. The cardiologist follow up is just a greedy pleasure for me at this point. But I will take advantage of it because our insurance changes at the beginning of 2020.

It still all points to the stomach, as usual.

As for the core stuff - I will definitely take your advice on that. It is something I know I need and have kind of half-assed it the last few years. Thank you sir. :thumbup:

Marine Corp Marathon - fundraising update

Before my nervous chatter/weather obsession/race plan post for Sunday, let me first offer an update on the fundraising.  Recall that my selection of the MCM was due to the opportunity to raise funds for The Elk Institute, which provides free services to veterans dealing with PTSD and other traumas.  The Founder and CEO, Carrie Elk, will be in D.C. for the weekend, and I'll meet her at a reception on Saturday afternoon, which will not be an unpleasant experience. 

The goal had been 50 fundraisers ...but they only ended up with 11 of us.  And sadly, most of them have not even raised the minimum goal of $600!  The Institute has arranged a special reception, hosted by a U.S. Congressman, who is former Army, and with a few special veteran guests (including one of the soldiers featured in the movie 12 Strong).  They've also arranged for special shirts and shorts for us on race day.  So how do folks not make the commitment to raise the funds??  As it stands, I'm actually their top fundraiser (I'm #1!  ..yet no medal; but some gifts for the top two fundraisers).  In fact, my total is close to matching the combined total of the bottom 9 fundraisers.  Sheesh!  I"m hoping they cover their commitment yet this week.

Anyway, I'm so thankful to all of you who have been extremely generous with your support.  You guys rock!!  And it really does mean a lot.  If you've not yet had the chance to help this very worthy cause, here's the link.

Let me add, too, that I've picked up some amazing and heartwarming stories of vets to carry with me during the race, and I have several miles dedicated to certain individuals or their memory.  I expect the emotions to be strong throughout the race.  If any of you have a memory for me to carry, please drop me a note.  I will let all of you BMF friends carry me home over the last couple of miles.  

Ok, so the EKG was normal. She gave me a cardio referral anyway, which I will take advantage of just to rule out anything there.

CT Scan will be coming up in a few days when approved by insurance at the imaging center. I am mildly concerned about this one, but hopefully no issues there. Will also follow up with the GI doc.

As mentioned above, no hernia so that's a nice relief.

So to sum it up - there may be some correlation to what's going on in the stomach with the shortness of breath and heart palpitations. The fact that it doesn't really happen when I run is a good thing. So what I'm feeling there is probably a mix of acid from the stomach issues. But she wants a cardiologist to run some tests to make sure.

Have the rest of the day off - may go do a trail run. Beautiful here today.
that's weird.  I just have gone through my first episode of heart palpitations about 2 weeks ago.  First one happened while running.  Lasted about 3 seconds and felt like my heart was inflated.  After it went away, I continued running and no other issues, but it shook me up a little.  Had another similar one 3 hours later at my desk just doing desk stuff.   I didn’t panic, but went to my family doctor that day.  Blood pressure fine; heart rate 42, and EKG was normal.  They told me to go to ER if I experience chest pain, vomiting or fainting. OK. 

I did a follow-up stress test a week later at cardiologist with EKG, echocardio and treadmill.  (Note that I probably had one more minor palpitation in that week).  Took forever to get my HR up :tyvm:. They initially didn’t want to do the treadmill cause they noticed my original EKG had high ST, but the heart MD chalked that up to early repolarization. 

Result of echo stress was ‘everything’s good’.  

My chest has been tight since those initial palpitations, but gets a little better each day.  I feel a little shortness of breath but when running it’s no different than before once I’m warmed up. 
I don’t know what brought that on, but the whole thing was a little disconcerting.  I guess it’s good at my age to have a cardiologist look under the hood and see that the engine is running fine. 

Users who are viewing this thread