What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (15 Viewers)

Been following Rivs and his crew for updates, hoping he'd be getting better. Unfortunately it looks like a terrible diagnosis of a rare form of leukemia. The more you read about this guy the more you love him and here's to hoping he can make it through. #### cancer.
Yeah, this really sucks. Heartbreaking to watch his brother’s video updates, and thinking of his wife and daughters. 

You know you’ve touched a lot of people when a GoFundMe started for you has 6,200 people contribute $324K in just a few days. 

Got up this morning, and butt wasn't quite as bad as it has been.

Went out and did Prairie Mountain, with a long return.  You guys could see that if Garmin were working.  :rant:

Had my usual running friend for company, and everything about the run, except my butt, was fantastic.  Kept a good pace on the climb, and my friend smashed his PR.  Mixed a hiking pace and a "running" (used very loosely) pace on the rest.  

The whole time I was just reveling in the outdoors.  The mountains.  The trails.  The smells.  The air.  After such a ####ty week/month/year, today was what I needed.  Even if it sets me back a little with my butt.  

And then at the end, as my friend and I are at our cars, he says "Geez, man, that's the slowest I've seen you in two years".  :kicksrock:

Worth it.

Woke up 4:00am today for my normal 10 miler, but mentally wanted none of it. Went back to bed. Got up later and ran 5 miles. It sucked.  Did not go to Farmers Market. No stores. Nothing good.  Heavy heart right now.

Good friend of mine is dying of cancer as I type this. This guy was a better father to me than my own. This guy taught me how to work, how to be a kind person, how to stand up and be a man. How to always help people when you can.

When he passes, there will 100 other kids just like me that can say the same thing about him. His heart is as big as the universe. He got diagnosed with liver cancer about 4 years ago. He took himself off the transplant list because he didn't want to take a liver away from someone else who may need it more - a young father, a teenager....anyone who would appreciate the chance at a long life.

He's an honorary uncle to my kids. An honorary grandfather to countless others. A friend, a dad....whatever you needed him to be. He's only 70 years old, and until this cancer spread he would ride his bike miles and miles every day. 

Anyway, this next couple of weeks is going to be tough. He's on his way to hospice now. But the beautiful thing is he is ready to meet the Good Lord. He knows his fate, and HAS known for several years. It was just a matter of when.

I'll see him a few times over the next few weeks, but I've already said the words I needed to say to him. He knows what he has meant to me. Family is coming in town now to say their goodbyes.

Say a prayer for Purple Larry - a Vietnam veteran, an old hippie, a gentleman, a musician who loves his Taylor guitars and Jimi Hendrix, and a man with a million stories of rock stars and music (I worked backstage catering for him for years when I was a teenager).

This is one of the good ones.

He's an honorary uncle to my kids. An honorary grandfather to countless others. A friend, a dad....whatever you needed him to be. He's only 70 years old, and until this cancer spread he would ride his bike miles and miles every day. 

Anyway, this next couple of weeks is going to be tough. He's on his way to hospice now. But the beautiful thing is he is ready to meet the Good Lord. He knows his fate, and HAS known for several years. It was just a matter of when.
I love Philippians 1:21: "For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain."  Your friend had modeled that, from what you describe.  He has led a good and selfless life, serving and supporting others, creating great memories and setting an example for so many of you.  And now, as he nears the end of his earthly life, he understands and believes that a greater glory awaits him.  Godspeed, Purple Larry.  Godspeed.

Yeah, this really sucks. Heartbreaking to watch his brother’s video updates, and thinking of his wife and daughters. 

You know you’ve touched a lot of people when a GoFundMe started for you has 6,200 people contribute $324K in just a few days. 
Watching his brother's most recent video now. Really hard to watch. 

Do garmin watches have a max number of runs it can hold before upload?  I haven't manually pushed over anything since the ransomware issue and a treadmill workout did not record distance yesterday and my morning outside run didn't track the distance (gps was on)...fortunately I was with my wife this morning so I knew the time distance, but this is not ideal.

Do garmin watches have a max number of runs it can hold before upload?  I haven't manually pushed over anything since the ransomware issue and a treadmill workout did not record distance yesterday and my morning outside run didn't track the distance (gps was on)...fortunately I was with my wife this morning so I knew the time distance, but this is not ideal.
"Map my run doesn't have this problem."

@El Floppo, probably 

Oh damn. Was supposed to run at 7:30 but just woke up (9!). 

Headimg out an hope I don't melt into a tiny green globule.
Yeah...that was hot. 

I've got too few runs available to me that don't involve stop/starting running through NYC streets...pretty much have to get to the rivers (Central Park is a half hour subway ride or 4m run through city streets-longer if I go up the river and back in).

I have to figure out some alternatives or I'm going to start running our interest.

Anyways...did the same WBurgh and Manhattan bridges run I did the other day. Decided to giddyup the first two, most crowded miles over the WBurgh until I got deeper into desolate Brooklyn industrial waterfront, just to avoid having to pull my mask up and down. Another reminder that the backside of the bridge is a good 1m spot. Went 6:57 without really even trying.

But yeah...hot.

Hard to say and search results pointing to Garmin forum are down - these seems directionally helpful.  Did see a guy mention he got weird tracking result so your concern may start happening as activities stack up for folks.  Not sure if wire upload alleviates the backup or not but hope so.

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/garmin-connect-down-garmin-users-123800427.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAFkVdJJMjbINzVQ3gUQi-su8XCFvETuzdE-RvTAuYbtGt97bT54zaFSsXxGKtE5mlUkN3TOAv-rPiy45_zMgCUxXtsxUL3JyxHDO_cGhdbbK_jUDnULx60sDzdMRjeeS8WkuDeLLi8tjiJGQAYIkANvPM1fxxbM6CoChMd68s6SQ

How many days data can my Garmin watch hold?

With servers still down 24 hours later, many runners will be questioning how many more days data their watch will still hold. While the exact number will vary from model to model, most watches in the Garmin range can hold seven days worth of daily tracking and around 200 hours of activities.

Hard to say and search results pointing to Garmin forum are down - these seems directionally helpful.  Did see a guy mention he got weird tracking result so your concern may start happening as activities stack up for folks.  Not sure if wire upload alleviates the backup or not but hope so.

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/garmin-connect-down-garmin-users-123800427.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAFkVdJJMjbINzVQ3gUQi-su8XCFvETuzdE-RvTAuYbtGt97bT54zaFSsXxGKtE5mlUkN3TOAv-rPiy45_zMgCUxXtsxUL3JyxHDO_cGhdbbK_jUDnULx60sDzdMRjeeS8WkuDeLLi8tjiJGQAYIkANvPM1fxxbM6CoChMd68s6SQ

How many days data can my Garmin watch hold?

With servers still down 24 hours later, many runners will be questioning how many more days data their watch will still hold. While the exact number will vary from model to model, most watches in the Garmin range can hold seven days worth of daily tracking and around 200 hours of activities.
You could prob delete any activities that have already been uploaded to Garmin Connect.

“Triple threat Sunday” complete. Hopped on the Peloton at 8:30 for a 30-min “live” class, finishing #168 out of 5,396 on the leaderboard. Then onto the treadmill around 1pm for 6 miles with some 2-minute pick-ups, followed by a quick 45-minute core/strength session.

I think I’m good for the day. :)  

Last edited by a moderator:
“Triple threat Sunday” complete. Hopped on the Peloton at 8:30 for a 30-min “live” class, finishing #168 out of 5,396 on the leaderboard. Then onto the treadmill around 1pm for 6 miles with some 2-minute pick-ups, followed by a quick 45-minute core/strength session.

I think I’m good for the day. :)  
Sounds a lot like my day. Watched the Royals, had a couple of brews, and watched my sprinkler water the grass.

I'm sorry @ChiefD.  Purple Larry sounds like an amazing guy.  You are fortunate to have had someone like that in your life.  Certainly inspirational for all of us to be kinder to everyone around us.

Sounds like a great article. I’d love to read it sometime. 
Maybe this?  Definitely a crazy story - I had seen a youtube video about it last year.  Apparently the rat poison (strychnine) is not completely crazy on its face as it is a stimulant similar to caffeine, although of course poisonous in large enough doses.  Not sure where the idea of brandy being a good idea would come from.  

Supposed to have started my first marathon a little bit ago 😥
:(

I’d be finishing my 4th in about 20 mins. Assuming it started at 7. 
Racing rivals tri was this weekend. Last year was the first time I did it and I was really looking forward to it this year. But man, not doing the first marathon would be a total bummer.

Taking the "daily challenge" thing to the kettle bell, it's been great. I don't know that I've increased any strength in ten days, but I feel friggin' great after 3 minutes of throwing that thing around. Just 20 kg 100 each day for now, might increase the reps towards the end of 30 days. Adding different swings now after the first week, side swings got me sore. 

We're renting a lake house this week, Tuesday to Friday. I'll bring the kayak and get a few runs in. That's our summer vacation this year. Hopefully we'll still be able to hit HHI in October. We're supposed to hit Disney and universal in November. I'm starting to think that won't happen. But the house rentals seem to be an ideal way to go.

One time my watch stopped auto deleting old activities and it warned me that my watch memory was getting close to full. It should give you a heads up warning when the memory is almost filled up.

Dr_Zaius said:
Maybe this?  Definitely a crazy story - I had seen a youtube video about it last year.  Apparently the rat poison (strychnine) is not completely crazy on its face as it is a stimulant similar to caffeine, although of course poisonous in large enough doses.  Not sure where the idea of brandy being a good idea would come from.  
I'm not as up to speed on my early 1900s Olympic history but the craziest thing about this is that the location of the third ever Olympic games, after Athens, then Paris, and before London and Stockholm, was in the prestigious city of...... St. Louis??!?!?  

No offense to our chief St. Louis resident Mr. Gian, but the corruption started way early with the Olympic selection committee.

I'm not as up to speed on my early 1900s Olympic history but the craziest thing about this is that the location of the third ever Olympic games, after Athens, then Paris, and before London and Stockholm, was in the prestigious city of...... St. Louis??!?!?  

No offense to our chief St. Louis resident Mr. Gian, but the corruption started way early with the Olympic selection committee.
They also had the World's Fair that year which was the bigger event.

According to Strava seems like our long national Garmin nightmare seems to be coming to an end:

As of 9:16 PM July 26, 2020 Garmin Connect has resumed service and delayed activities have begun to upload to Strava.

Is Garmin working?

Think so. It synced my run this morning like normal and seems to be trying to catch up. Garmin message says Connect is ‘limited’. 

According to Strava seems like our long national Garmin nightmare seems to be coming to an end:

As of 9:16 PM July 26, 2020 Garmin Connect has resumed service and delayed activities have begun to upload to Strava.

Just gave syncing a shot and it was able to upload my last few days without issue.

:towelwave:

If we step away from Garmin Talk for a moment, it's time for Product Review talk. Recently picked up a few items that I figured I'd talk about in case anyone might be interested.

1) Hydration packs -- So, I ended up trialing a couple of these. I ended up with the CamelBak Rogue which holds 2.5L of water. Overall, it's a really nice lightweight, comfortable pack that is easy to drink from and easy to fill at a decent price compared to many others. That said, I also tried a pack from a company named USWE that was really nice. It has a 4 point harness system that is quite comfortable with a really good bladder system too. Problem was the one I started with was 1.5L and also ended up having an isolated defect (wire sticking out) so I stuck with the CamelBak. But, it's a quality option from a comfort standpoint. They have larger options too.  The one I got was the Outlander 2 and it seems the Outlander 3 just came out.  They added a small pocket to it (great addition) and it's on sale right now for $79.99.

2. Handheld -- I've never run with a handheld before. Saw them mentioned here as well as on the LHR group on FB and decided to give that a try to help get through some of these intermediate runs that need some hydration but didn't want to carry the pack. Gotta say I'm a fan. The one we got was a Nathan handheld that holds 18oz, insulated, and pretty comfortable and easy to drink from. 

3. Oofos sandals -- Next up, recovery sandals! I'd never heard of such a thing until recently. Started looking into it and decided to get a pair for my wife as a little something for training/upcoming race. I kept reading reviews of people swearing by these things after a workout. Well, it's legit. Picked up a pair for each of us and have been using it this past week. In particular this morning, my legs were a little tired and put them on -- instant relief. I wear these around the house now. I would highly, highly recommend investing in a pair of these, especially for you guys that complain of soreness after runs or the day after. Smoke version on sale at Amazon for $39.99

4. Saucony Endorphin Speed -- As I'm down to my last two pairs of Kinvara shoes, which are the only ones I'm running in now, I was looking for what was next. As @bushdocda and I like the same shoes and he picked up the Endorphin Pros, I did the same with the intent of using them for my race. Those shoes are amazing. And, for $160 through roadrunner sports, not bad for a premium shoe. But, then the Speed came out, which is the training "partner" for the shoe and reviews were amazing. Some liking it even better than the Pro. Well, for not much more than the Kinvara and wanting a shoe to train with similar to it, I grabbed a pair and they just came in 3 days ago. I ran with them on Saturday and holy cow. These are my favorite shoes I've ever put on. They are simply amazing. I probably shouldn't have worn them Saturday as I was supposed to run slow and I simply couldn't do it with them on. As a speed day shoe (and easily a race shoe), nothing compares. 

I can see preferring the Pro on race day as it's a bit lighter and snappier, but the Speed is still light years better than anything I've worn (at least from my 1st run in it). I'll see if that changes, but if I had to pick one shoe to buy to train/race in, this is it. 

I have one more item to review but haven't used it. I'll do that one later.

@Juxtatarot -- "of course you do"....

Last edited by a moderator:
The guiding principle that I picked up in this forum at least 10 years ago boils down to: Run 90 percent of your runs slower, run 10 percent of your runs faster, run more

From the article:

Research by Stephen Seiler and others indicates that runners of all ability and experience levels improve most when they spend about 80 percent of their weekly running time at low intensity (specifically, below the ventilatory threshold, which for most runners falls just below the more familiar lactate threshold)
What is the ventilatory threshold, and is there an easy way to figure it out?

I also found this part interesting:

Slow Down

Research by Stephen Seiler and others indicates that runners of all ability and experience levels improve most when they spend about 80 percent of their weekly running time at low intensity (specifically, below the ventilatory threshold, which for most runners falls just below the more familiar lactate threshold) and the remaining 20 percent at moderate to high intensity. The average runner actually spends about half of his or her training time at moderate intensity.

Even if you have no intention of running more, you will probably experience a significant boost in fitness if you simply dial back the pace of your easy runs so that your overall training intensity balance falls in line with Seiler’s 80/20 rule. But what you may also find is that you feel fresher and more energetic, and suddenly the notion of running more frequently doesn’t seem so daunting.
I have a long standing belief that respiratory rate is probably more important to pay attention to than heart rate.  It's just that our watches and devices don't measure it.  

Users who are viewing this thread