What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (13 Viewers)

Grue in at 4:09:18...

ETA: What are Mrs. GMs initials, not seeing same last name as Gian in the results so didn't know if they share a last name.

Edit #2: Looked for St. Louis and looks like Mrs. Gian in at 4:09:17!  :clap:

Edit #3: Nothing to worry about here!

Edit #4: He's in!! It must have been updating with intermittent results.

4:19:37 for our hero!!!  :clap: :thumbup: :headbang:

Congrats to our marathoners @gianmarco and Mrs. Gian!!! And well done @gruecd/ @wraith5 on some solid pacing!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Marathon -- 1

GMarcos -- 0

That was a challenge. The rolling hills in the beginning took a toll. For me, my right quad seized up for good at mile 21 and made running quite difficult. But, even before then, knew it was going to be a long ending. Fitness wise I felt ok once I settled in, but the legs were toast.

I'll write more later, but a combo of happy and disappointed. Strange thing, though, is not a whole lot of either. Not terribly pleased but also not terribly disappointed.

Right now, the stupid thing is, my right shoulder is all kinds of screwy. My legs feel fine but can't really move my arm and can't figure out how to get it to loosen up. 

Anyway, sorry for ####ty tracking but appreciate you guys all trying to follow along. Sorry we couldn't deliver any better but we tried.

Marathon -- 1

GMarcos -- 0

That was a challenge. The rolling hills in the beginning took a toll. For me, my right quad seized up for good at mile 21 and made running quite difficult. But, even before then, knew it was going to be a long ending. I'll write more later, but a combo of happy and disappointed. Strange thing, though, is not a whole lot of either. Not terribly pleased but also not terribly disappointed.

Right now, the stupid thing is, my right shoulder is all kinds of screwy. My legs feel fine but can't really move my arm and can't figure out how to get it to loosen up. 

Anyway, sorry for ####ty tracking but appreciate you guys all trying to follow along. Sorry we couldn't deliver any better but we tried.
Congrats!  As you know, they say the goal of a first marathon should be to just finish.  I suspect you can totally appreciate that now.  Great job grinding it out!

Marathon -- 1

GMarcos -- 0

That was a challenge. The rolling hills in the beginning took a toll. For me, my right quad seized up for good at mile 21 and made running quite difficult. But, even before then, knew it was going to be a long ending. Fitness wise I felt ok once I settled in, but the legs were toast.

I'll write more later, but a combo of happy and disappointed. Strange thing, though, is not a whole lot of either. Not terribly pleased but also not terribly disappointed.

Way to grind brother. Shoulder is probably just from holding posture, hope it loosens up with a few cold ones.

Huge effort by you and Grue and Mrs, that course had enough roll to it to make things additionally challenging.  Enjoy the day and let the experience soak in, not just today but the journey of hundreds of miles that precede today. So much to be proud of. 

Marathon -- 1

GMarcos -- 0

Welcome to the big leagues, kid.

Really proud of you and the missus - as you now know the marathon is no joke. And you ran one today. Welcome to the club. :headbang: Awesome job!!

Marathon -- 1

GMarcos -- 0

Way to push through -- hell of an accomplishment  :thumbup:

You guys can see it on @gruecd's Strava, but she held on great until last couple miles, especially 18 minutes in mile 26 :(

The proverbial wall. Hard.
The most impressive part of that run was that bounce back on mile 23. It looks like she started leaking oil at mile 17, and then had a rough mile 22. But to then turn around and churn out that 9:19 pace after what had to be some physical and mental turmoil - WOW.

That's the stuff of champions right there. Incredible.

Marathon -- 1

GMarcos -- 0

My HS friends and I used to play Scrabble for stoners...idea being youd throw some letters done that spelled out a phrase that had to be talked through.

The only one I remember of mine was: CNUARNR*

Congrats on this amazing accomplishment- you'll look back at getting through the battle of those last miles and be able to use it to fuel you in everything you do. Amazing job!

had an old southern baseball coach in babe Ruth ball that we all knew and respected. Always dropping little proverbs on is, followed up by a positive statement in his drawl. Ok, y'all, you're going to put your foot there, bend the leg and essplode outta the base. CNUARNR (= see, now you a runner). Congrats, pothead!

2020 Minocqua Marathon Race Report

I'm doing this on my phone so apologies for how this turns out. Not going to break it up into miles/paces like usual, both because it'll take forever and I also don't think it matters for this race.

As I mentioned already, we drove the course yesterday. Just constant rolling hills that didn't seem like much yesterday but took a toll on us (and most everyone else that I could see). There were 3 specific trouble spots. Around mile 10-12, there was a section on this loose gravel with uphills. Mile 15 had a pretty decent uphill. And then mile 23 had a nasty extended uphill.  Knowing those ahead of time helped, somewhat.

Good night's sleep for both of us. Couple pop tarts, a banana, and a salt tab with a little GU right before race start. It was crazy how quickly the start time snuck up and next thing I knew we were racing.

1st mile was on grass around this park and honestly was not fun. It was uneven, a little wet, basically like a cross country course. I stuck to my wife and Grue for a little of it as they went out on the slower side and then quickly let them drift away. Shortly afterward as I figured I'd drop my pace and keep it slow, I see the 4:00 pacer come up with a decent sized group and figured that would be perfect. 9:10ish pace, settle in for a few miles then reevaluate.

First 4-5 miles never felt comfortable, though. As I was following with him, I decided to not even look at my pace and just keep it relaxed. Finally, after seeing my HR close to 160, I looked at the time and paces and realized we were clocking 8:55ish miles. WTF? So I asked him and he said he wanted to bank some time early on because of those later hills. Well, ####. 

At this point, I decided to drift back just a little bit and run it in on my own while keeping them in sight. I successfully kept my HR in the 150s up until mile 12, trying to remember what a few of you told me about when to let it hit 160. 

It was after that mile 10-12 section, though, and that part was not fun. Footing was atrocious and felt like running in sand. It was requiring extra effort plus elevation. And then a solid headwind to boot. So I backed my pace off in this section into the 9's hoping to recover after it was done. Saw Grue's wife around mile 12 and got a boost from seeing her and getting an update on the pair. I felt good at this point. I also told her I would likely drop my hydration pack to her at mile 17 when I'd see her next because I felt like I would be better off without at that point. Next couple miles were ok but I noticed my HR climbing into the mid 160s and then hit that hill at 15. I was feeling a blow-up coming as my legs started feeling more fatigued than I thought they should and I was coming to the realization that I was likely looking at a death march at the end. I walked a water station and ended up walking a couple times in hills to see if I could salvage a bit and recover.

Mile 17 I gave up the pack and we hit a 2 mile flat trail section. This was when my right quad started tightening up. At first, it was just a little knee pain on the outside but then it was getting to where it was getting harder to bend and stride. I tried changing things up with my form and it didn't work. And finally my knee gave out and I almost fell. That's when I realized I was in trouble. Walked a few times on that flat trail trying to loosen it up but it would come back after a bit of running. My paces were now in the low 10's although this was combined with walking so I was at least keeping it up somewhat when I did run. But I'm coming to the realization in this section that I still have 8+ miles to go and I'm not in good shape here.

Mile 20 came uneventfully and right around mile 21 the quad tightened up for good. I couldn't bend it anymore and no amount of stretching would help. I was running with a limp and basically it dictated the rest of the race. It was 5+ miles of run until the knee seized up, then walk until I could try to get going again.

I basically tried to time it with uphills but unfortunately running the downhills only made it worse. I was in the death march that I knew was coming but unfortunately nothing I could do at that point. I don't think it was nutrition or hydration as those were on point most of the race. I just think those initial rollers took more of a toll on me than expected and it just happened. Miles 23-25 were much slower with all the walking I had to do. Luckily the hill didn't impact me much since I had already slowed down. Of note, I was next to a guy here at the end that had the exact same progression as me. Legs tightened up in the trail, now had to keep run/walking because of the same issue. Most everyone at this point around is walking hills and struggling.

I hit mile 26 and said I was going to try to run all of it if I could and basically ran with a straight right leg the remainder of the race. I tried to stride big to finish and was able to hold on until the finish line. I was truly worried it might give out like it did earlier but luckily I was good. 

Unfortunately, because of how it ended, it didn't feel like I raced hard at the end. Fitness wise I still felt fine and never got truly fatigued. My AHR of 162 shows that, I think. I obviously wish I could have had a better time, but with how things happened out there, I don't think there was much more I could do today. 

I feel decent now. Legs a little tired but honestly not that bad. The right quad felt fine shortly after I stopped and sat down. I don't feel much different from my 20 mile long run, which is disappointing. I wish I could have actually pushed harder at the end but there was no way around it. 

I haven't looked at my final official time yet or any results. Strava had me just under 4:20 at 4:19:40 and a 9:51 pace. I know I have better in me but I also knew that nothing was a given from what I learned here and the marathon distance isn't a joke. 

Anyway, thanks again for all the advice, support, and encouragement throughout all of this. I thought of pretty much all of you while out there and it helped the time and miles click away. We get to do this again next year on our original course if all goes well and I hope to enjoy that one more.

I'll write another post later detailing @gruecd and his wife and everything they did for us leading up to and during the race because it deserves its own mention, but I really can't express enough gratitude for this experience. As disappointing as the overall result is, I wouldn't change a thing about what happened up here.

Gian - congratulations to you and your wife on completing your first marathons.  That’s a really big achievement, so be proud.  Given the tough finish (following a late training injury), and given her competitive spirit, I expect the Mrs will be talking about getting her marathon revenge before the night is over.

Props to that pacer guy, too!!!  Any marathon brings challenges, and beyond “just” running a marathon, Grue had to be patient with the pacing and sensitive to his runner’s situation - physically, mentally, and emotionally.  Well done, sir.

Grue in at 4:09:18...

ETA: What are Mrs. GMs initials, not seeing same last name as Gian in the results so didn't know if they share a last name.

Edit #2: Looked for St. Louis and looks like Mrs. Gian in at 4:09:17!  :clap:

Edit #3: Nothing to worry about here!

Edit #4: He's in!! It must have been updating with intermittent results.

4:19:37 for our hero!!!  :clap: :thumbup: :headbang:

Congrats to our marathoners @gianmarco and Mrs. Gian!!! And well done @gruecd/ @wraith5 on some solid pacing!!!
Congrats gian, Mrs. gian and a hat tip to grue for giving back to the sport big time. Sounds like it was a slog but I looked at the results and after 900+ pages in here and many marathon reports, that last 10k has a way of making or breaking a race. Great job gutting it out, 20 miles was always about the time my calf would throw in the towel and lock up. There isn’t anything you can do but finish it at that point. Well done!

Side note - takes a guy living in France to post an update, you guys all suck at this  :D

####ing quad, man. That sucks but good for you to power through as best as you were able. Hopefully soon enough we'll be back to running marathons on normal surfaces and you'll get redemption for today. Until then, congrats on your marathon completion and major kudos to Grue for the assist. 

:clap:  @gianmarco!  Perseverance my man, marathons are a complete #####. There's a reason why the most common answer after doing one is "F that, I'm never doing that again!" Well done by you and the Mrs! 

It's always great to see others use their experience and badassery to help others. Incredible @gruecd 💪🏽

tri-man 47 said:
Gian - congratulations to you and your wife on completing your first marathons.  That’s a really big achievement, so be proud.  Given the tough finish (following a late training injury), and given her competitive spirit, I expect the Mrs will be talking about getting her marathon revenge before the night is over.

Props to that pacer guy, too!!!  Any marathon brings challenges, and beyond “just” running a marathon, Grue had to be patient with the pacing and sensitive to his runner’s situation - physically, mentally, and emotionally.  Well done, sir.
She was already looking up plans, comparing elevations to other marathon courses, and talking about everything she will do differently next year. 

She also realizes that, if she had gone a little slower, she would have definitely had a better time overall, but she wouldn't have learned about that final 10K and been able to learn from it. Instead, it would have been disappointment missing BQ by a few minutes and then next marathon possibly missing due to not being prepared for the final 10K and knowing what it could feel like.

As for me, this morning it's sinking in a good bit more. I didn't think about it at the time, but I KNEW that final 8 miles was going to be awful in the condition I was in at that point but I never even considered that I wasn't going to finish. I just knew it was going to take a long time. It was frustrating watching the time tick off and recalculating, seeing how bad it would end up being. But I think on it now and I'm glad I never once thought of walking off the course. 

As for me, I know there's no substitute for the volume to prepare for this. I know I can do the distance now. And I learned that, even if not a race with hills, I need to incorporate them into my running regularly because they make me stronger. I do feel like I learned a ton from my long runs, how to hydrate, how to fuel, and in general, how to be out there a long time and not fail except for not running at the pace of my training level.

Anyway, feel sore but refreshed this morning. Especially mentally. Going to enjoy our last day here and then finally looking forward to the mental break of not training that we haven't had since December.

So we are all going to Boston in 2022?
I'm starting to seriously consider backing off my running a bit and not BQing every year.  There are certain people who are great athletes who can BQ every year.  For me, it takes a complete dedication to the craft and as my body is broken down right now, its becoming harder and harder for me to motivate to push myself to get that BQ.  I'm not a natural athlete so training, diet, etc. have to be on point and I feel like I'm still taking my body to the brink just getting to BQ.  

I'll have to see where this all goes, but these are the thoughts in my mind. 

That being said, if all your BMF's are gathering in Boston in April 2022, I'll be there whether I'm running or not. 

She was already looking up plans, comparing elevations to other marathon courses, and talking about everything she will do differently next year. 

She also realizes that, if she had gone a little slower, she would have definitely had a better time overall, but she wouldn't have learned about that final 10K and been able to learn from it. Instead, it would have been disappointment missing BQ by a few minutes and then next marathon possibly missing due to not being prepared for the final 10K and knowing what it could feel like.

As for me, this morning it's sinking in a good bit more. I didn't think about it at the time, but I KNEW that final 8 miles was going to be awful in the condition I was in at that point but I never even considered that I wasn't going to finish. I just knew it was going to take a long time. It was frustrating watching the time tick off and recalculating, seeing how bad it would end up being. But I think on it now and I'm glad I never once thought of walking off the course. 

As for me, I know there's no substitute for the volume to prepare for this. I know I can do the distance now. And I learned that, even if not a race with hills, I need to incorporate them into my running regularly because they make me stronger. I do feel like I learned a ton from my long runs, how to hydrate, how to fuel, and in general, how to be out there a long time and not fail except for not running at the pace of my training level.

Anyway, feel sore but refreshed this morning. Especially mentally. Going to enjoy our last day here and then finally looking forward to the mental break of not training that we haven't had since December.
This is the beauty of the marathon.  This isn't a physical adventure, it is a mental one as well.  Trying to refine your training, hydration, nutrition, mental strength, diet, pre-race plan, etc etc etc are why the marathon is a fun adventure even though the last 10K sucks. Every. Single. Time.

This is the beauty of the marathon.  This isn't a physical adventure, it is a mental one as well.  Trying to refine your training, hydration, nutrition, mental strength, diet, pre-race plan, etc etc etc are why the marathon is a fun adventure even though the last 10K sucks. Every. Single. Time.
:goodposting:   :goodposting: :goodposting:

Some of the mutants in here can more naturally adapt to these circumstances, but this is why my attempts have been 18-24 months apart. The preparation wipes me out. I need months after to recalibrate then apply adjustments for my next go at it. 

My update

The easier week and an adjustment to my strength training regimen has done wonders for my back. Gonna do my first stretch of 3 days in a row today with plans on a 4th tomorrow at XC. No SoS this week - gonna focus on quantity, but if my body says XC fast finishing is in the cards then I'll do it. I've been around 20 mpw the last 3 weeks, so my primary goal for the week is to elevate that # to the upper 20's. I'm not gonna tell PT that when I saw them Wednesday though - that secret's between you and me.

So all of you Boston 2022 or 2023 dudes - what do you think is a "safe" time?  BQ-5:00?
I'm about to kick start, for the 3rd time due to COVID, my Paris Marathon training and have been thinking being under the BQ time by 5-10 mins should do it.

My sliding scale ranges from: On the money BQ = likely not getting in, -5 minutes = maybe if I'm on the computer like a hawk when it opens, -10 minutes = feeling comfortable.

93km (~58mi) week last week.  10,000' of elevation gain as well.  My butt was not thrilled with that volume, but managed.  Just wanted to take full advantage of my week up north, the nice temps, and the mountains.

Nice to have a strong week after a couple months of no/reduced volume.

Keeping up with the PT exercises.  I hope that's helping.

Users who are viewing this thread