What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (6 Viewers)

This question may be answered somewhere in the 959 pages in this thread, but I figured I'd just ask.  I'm a novice runner that usually gets 3-5 miles runs in a few times a week over the last few years.  For about the last couple months I've been battling calf stiffness that I've been able to push through.  I've tried stretching, rollers, and strengthening exercises and nothing seems to be helping.  During the last two runs, I pulled up after about a mile and couldn't go anymore, so it getting worse.  Do you guys have any recommendations beyond continued stretching and strengthening?  
I had calf issues when I first started running and I now always wear calf/compression sleeves.  Also, rotating different shoes has helped a lot of injuries/pain with my running (knees, feet, calves) - I currently have 3 pairs that I rotate depending on the run.

Lighting the duck and other ultra guys' bat signal.  Been mulling over doing a 50k in the next 12-18 months, and was checking out World's End and Oil Creek as possibilities.  The first one is significantly closer, but I suspect it is rockier, also possibly a bit hillier - looking at the elevation profile it looks like it has a terrifying descent towards the end.  The second one is further away but I could probably combine it with a trip to visit my sister, although it is in the fall which worries me from a leaf perspective.  Both over 5000ft elevation gain which seems like a lot, but maybe that's normal?  Also found one in the middle of the state in the spring with like 7000ft of gain, including 1000ft in a mile, which seems fairly ridiculous.  Not exactly sure what I'm asking.  I guess partially making sure these are in the realm of normal courses to try a first 50K on?  Maybe for reassurance that I'm not crazy?  What a training plan should look like?  TIA

5k elevation is light for ultra purposes. But 5k in the appalachians or thereabouts is vastly different than out west. That terrain is vastly different in fall (leaves) than spring (mud). And ther term technical in reference to a description of trails can mean thousands of different things depending on who you talk to. 

How's that for a non answer. 

Lighting the duck and other ultra guys' bat signal.  Been mulling over doing a 50k in the next 12-18 months, and was checking out World's End and Oil Creek as possibilities.  The first one is significantly closer, but I suspect it is rockier, also possibly a bit hillier - looking at the elevation profile it looks like it has a terrifying descent towards the end.  The second one is further away but I could probably combine it with a trip to visit my sister, although it is in the fall which worries me from a leaf perspective.  Both over 5000ft elevation gain which seems like a lot, but maybe that's normal?  Also found one in the middle of the state in the spring with like 7000ft of gain, including 1000ft in a mile, which seems fairly ridiculous.  Not exactly sure what I'm asking.  I guess partially making sure these are in the realm of normal courses to try a first 50K on?  Maybe for reassurance that I'm not crazy?  What a training plan should look like?  TIA
I'll defer to @SFBayDuck and @BassNBrew with regard to a lot of these questions, but as far as a training plan for a trail 50K is concerned, just train like you would for a marathon, but run on trails.  It's only 5 extra miles, so there's really not much need to do things a whole lot differently.

Dr_Zaius said:
Yeah 5,000' isn't that's much for an ultra.

Having a grand total of one ultra under my belt, I found it easier and more fun than a marathon.  The biggest difference is that you can walk the uphills without feeling like a failure. 

And nature.  And softer footfalls.  Food at aid stations.

Paging @SFBayDuck for the legit/useful advice!

Having a grand total of one ultra under my belt, I found it easier and more fun than a marathon.  The biggest difference is that you can walk the uphills without feeling like a failure. 

I've done neither, but I think I feel the same way.  I've thought of doing a road marathon as a check the box type activity, but it doesn't hold a lot of appeal to me.  A day slogging through the woods, while physically draining, sounds like a lot more fun.  Worried about nutrition as I never eat or drink on my runs.  Also, anaphylactic to nuts, so that rules out a lot of common fuels.

SayWhat? said:
Symptoms.  I feel pretty wrecked.  Felt off last Wednesday morning (congestion, fatigue) so I stayed home from work and at my wife’s urging, went and got tested.  Fever, headache, and insane body aches started Wednesday evening.  Also a very odd feeling of chest tightness that comes and goes.  COVID test came back as negative on Friday. :pickle:  Symptoms persisted into the weekend and progressed into the complete loss of taste and smell on Sunday :sadbanana: , which prompted a retest on Monday.  Positive result came back early this morning from that test.  My wife is now into the same symptom cycle as me, with the dry cough as well.  And our oldest daughter had a 100+ fever last night, though no other symptoms.

Just really sucks as we were the super cautious family over the course of the spring/summer.  Really feels incredibly defeating.
Ugh...hope you get better fast.

Any sense of where/how you might have contracted it?

I mentioned I tested positive for the antibodies...my wife tested negative, and my kids just got theirs back too- negative. We're thinking I had one of the other sars and got the antibodies that way. None of us have really been sick at all. 

SayWhat? said:
Symptoms.  I feel pretty wrecked.  Felt off last Wednesday morning (congestion, fatigue) so I stayed home from work and at my wife’s urging, went and got tested.  Fever, headache, and insane body aches started Wednesday evening.  Also a very odd feeling of chest tightness that comes and goes.  COVID test came back as negative on Friday. :pickle:  Symptoms persisted into the weekend and progressed into the complete loss of taste and smell on Sunday :sadbanana: , which prompted a retest on Monday.  Positive result came back early this morning from that test.  My wife is now into the same symptom cycle as me, with the dry cough as well.  And our oldest daughter had a 100+ fever last night, though no other symptoms.

Just really sucks as we were the super cautious family over the course of the spring/summer.  Really feels incredibly defeating.
Damn dude, so sorry to hear this.  Not the post I was expecting to see as I poked my head back in here.  Hope your young and strong immune systems kick it's butt, and in a couple of weeks you and the wife are donating plasma to share your bad-### antibodies and t-cells with others.

Any ideas on where you might have been exposed?  We've been really cautious as well, to the point my daughter is always complaining she's the kid left out of everything since her friends are hanging out and we won't let he do anything with others indoors.  

@Dr_Zaius good stuff from the others already.  5,000' over 50K isn't flat but not what I'd consider a hilly ultra.  7,000' is a little more like it, although with 1,000' of it in a single mile that's one serious climb with the rest pretty similar.  What is "technical" just really varies, it's in the eye of the beholder. The one race I've run back East (Virginia) was in the Fall and between the heat/humidity, the rocks (all the gd rocks!), and the leaves, while it didn't have quite the long climbs that some of the West Coast races do, it was awfully tough.  So really hard to know without being on the course what you'll actually be facing.

Loosely follow a marathon training plan, but run as much as you can on terrain similar to what the race will bring.  I'd suggest forgetting about pace, and translating the plan from miles into time.  Just be sure you get a couple of 20+ mile runs in there, even if it takes you 4-5 hours.  Practice hiking up climbs, and spend a fair amount of time running down hills to toughen the quads.  That can be focused downhill work, which is a little higher risk, or just running a hilly course and running the downhills strong.  And a little of that goes a long way.

The other big factor is nutrition and hydration.  I don't know if you're planning on finishing in 4 hours or 6+, but I'd imagine it's a lot longer than you've ever run before and calories will be important.  My daughter is also anaphylactic to nuts, so I rarely eat them and don't find that limiting at all with training/racing nutrition.  So practice eating and drinking during your long runs in training to try and dial in what works for you.  Figure out what you think you can handle (real food from aid stations?  gels and sports drink?), and then have a plan for what you'll try if that stops working, like falling back to just sports drink or coke or some hard candies.

Another piece is gear, which sort of depends on the aid station frequency.  If there are a bunch (and it's not super hot) you can get by with a handheld bottle and a few gels in your pockets, and refill and reload at each aid.  If you've got some long stretches in between then you might need to consider a belt or pack.  If you go that route, wear it on your long runs - a pack that gives you no issues on a 2 1/2 hour run might leave you with painful chafing at hour 4.

tl:dr Run hilly trails, train by time, practice in training everything you'll do on race day

Got my MRI today, and apparently I have marrow edema in my os peroneum and some tendinopathy in the peroneus longus.

Or, for the couple of us left around here that aren't doctors, I have a bone bruise in an accessory bone in my foot that most people don't have.  And the tendon over the top of it is pissed.  So I have that going for me.  Which is nice.

Rules out a stress fracture that didn't show up on the x-ray.  Apparently it's nowhere near bad enough to consider surgery, so just keep taking it easy, keep up PT, and hope it keeps improving.  Only other option would be to put it in a boot and immobilize it for awhile.  

Well, flying out tomorrow morning. Been thinking as little about this race as possible, and now starting to get thoughts together of what to bring, etc, and feeling nervous.

It's just a race, right? :oldunsure:
Do not. I repeat, do not underestimate the power of the perfect pair of socks. This should’ve been the first thing checked off your list. 

Well, flying out tomorrow morning. Been thinking as little about this race as possible, and now starting to get thoughts together of what to bring, etc, and feeling nervous.

Race day gear in carryon if you check bags. 
Compression socks on the plane. 
All the lube. 

I plan to get an actual long run in while you’re on the course in support of the @gianmarco racing team. 

Race day gear in carryon if you check bags. 
Compression socks on the plane. 
All the lube. 

I plan to get an actual long run in while you’re on the course in support of the @gianmarco racing team. 
I plan to be glued to my couch/phone providing everyone with up to the second updates while they’re on the course. Buckle up, fellas! This one is going to be special.

I plan to be glued to my couch/phone providing everyone with up to the second updates while they’re on the course. Buckle up, fellas! This one is going to be special.
Yeah, I’m excited. My whole Sunday morning is cleared for this. 

Gonna be awesome.

I've had to run on the treadmill the last 2 days due to rain during my running windows.  I clearly do something different on these runs than when I'm outside, because my calves always hurt post run.  Stupid treadmill  <_<

Also, I have not done @Zasada proud...I can't get my butt out of bed to run in the wee hours of the morning  :kicksrock:   

I've had to run on the treadmill the last 2 days due to rain during my running windows.  I clearly do something different on these runs than when I'm outside, because my calves always hurt post run.  Stupid treadmill  <_<

Also, I have not done @Zasada proud...I can't get my butt out of bed to run in the wee hours of the morning  :kicksrock:   
My run this am was sucky. Just wasn't feeling it at all, even after going a couple miles with floppinho. Legs just felt like trash.

Any sense of where/how you might have contracted it?
Any ideas on where you might have been exposed?  We've been really cautious as well, to the point my daughter is always complaining she's the kid left out of everything since her friends are hanging out and we won't let he do anything with others indoors.  
No idea where I picked up the COVID, but I have found it fascinating that nearly every single person has asked.  

We’ve been the same with our girls, but thankfully at 5 and 8 they aren’t too “in the know” what other kids are doing that they’re not.  But now that my wife and I are confirmed positive?  #### it!  Party time.

This is where I start focusing on hitting my marks ...the sequence of events over the next couple days, then the marks to hit on race morning. Eg, fly in, check.  Dinner tonight, check. Shake out run, check.  Pick up race gear, check.  Etc.  It’s a succession of accomplishments, and you feel good about moving a step closer to the race.

Between this and the mountain stage in the Tour de France, it's a Sunday sports extravaganza! 

Have you been dialing in your poop cycles during the week? Light is fast. 

🏊‍♂️ the ten mile virtual swim starts next Sunday (the 13th). And I got a little taste of what that week will look like. Just 2 miles this morning - with the event allowing you to take all week to get it in, I plan to do roughly 2 miles each day, which allows for 2 off days. 

I'm already tired and sore from one day!  Honestly I haven't been focused on this as it's not a race, but it's going to be harder than planned.  🤦🏼‍♂️

Next Gen trail running: went to a park area near our cottage with DIL and two grandsons.  There’s a 1.2 mile single track, weaving trail loop cut through some woods right there, so I led them over so the boys could check it out.  As we were parking the stroller and getting the near-two year old acclimated, the near-four year old took off and was GONE.  We weren’t even sure which path he took, so I started jogging up one of them for a few hundred yards, but no sign of him. (Brief moments of panic for DIL and me.) As we eventually hooked up with him, we were pretty sure he had gone on that path but just hadn’t stopped running.  Later, after we did reconnect, I ran behind him for quite a stretch, and he was really smooth ...zigging and zagging, stepping over the roots, handling a downslope. :wub:   I hope to get back and time him for the full loop.

Been a long morning already: only 8 miles this morning. If you don't think diet matters during the week...well....it does. I knew this run was gonna be rough because I ate like #### this week. So after that"

Farmers Market: height of the season right now. All the fruits are in - peaches, apples, watermelon, cantaloupe.... Some good veggies - sweet corn, onions, carrots, lettuce, spring mix, cilantro, taters...good stuff

Quik Trip: big fat coke

Ninfas Mexican Taquerio: fresh tortillas so I can make street tacos this weekend. You pick these up and they are still warm for some munching in the car....

Mickey D's: pancakes for the boys and a hash brown for me that I wrapped in one of the aforementioned tortillas

County Lake Office: boat permit so we can take the boat out either tomorrow or monday for some fishing.

Home by 9:30. Gonna work on the boat today and goof around in the yard. Gonna send some positive mojo to the marathon crew in Wisconsin. Get you some boys and girl! :headbang:

Quick update:

Minocqua is a beautiful town. I would love to come back some day to vacation. In fact, if anyone is looking to move from their current location to a small lake town up north, I can't think of anything more ideal.

Drove the course today. Nothing terrible but lots of rolling little hills. One "bad" gravel section around mile 13-15 with a little more elevation that will be challenging, but otherwise a beautiful course.

Weather will be iffy tomorrow. Looking like 55 around race time but with thunderstorms in the forecast. Initially looked like they might hold off, but latest has a 50% chance at 7am. Not ideal and hoping it's nothing that might cancel the race. Fingers crossed, I guess.  Looks to get up to 63 by race end. Will just deal with whatever it is.

Will be picking up packets soon, then dinner, then bed for whatever sleep we can get. 

Personal pacer and wife have been amazing and helped keep our minds off the race and not worry about logistics which has been a huge relief. 

As for tomorrow, I plan on taking it slow to start and then see how things go while keeping it conservative. My HR was higher than I would have liked this morning and not sure how much I'll be able to fully trust that, but I plan on being smart and enjoying the race. 

Of note, cell service was spotty at best throughout the course and not sure how well updates will get through. 

Anyway, hope our preparation has us ready for tomorrow and will try and execute as best as I can. Thanks again for all the support here. I'll be thinking of most/all of you tomorrow morning at some point. I'll have plenty of time for that 😜

Users who are viewing this thread