Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Ned

Ran a 10k - Official Thread

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, The Iguana said:

when is this? 

The Saturday before Thanksgiving.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, ChiefD said:

The Saturday before Thanksgiving.

ok... and what exactly are we doing? cause I'll be in. Anything that remotely might help keep me moving.

here's my current motivation, which is working so far: http://www.dinoseries.com/tecumseh-trail-marathon/ 

fairly certain it will happen, it's Oct 24th. Haven't even really set a goal other than to finish and to make a quality effort. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, The Iguana said:

ok... and what exactly are we doing? cause I'll be in. Anything that remotely might help keep me moving.

here's my current motivation, which is working so far: http://www.dinoseries.com/tecumseh-trail-marathon/ 

fairly certain it will happen, it's Oct 24th. Haven't even really set a goal other than to finish and to make a quality effort. 

Clicky.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Haven't run since Sunday. Have to figure out office/school hours better.

Todays run took a left after the wburg bridge into Williamsburg and green point instead of my normal right to loop to the manhattan bridge. Ran to the tip of brooklyn, turned around and a bear jumped me somewhere in wburg. Thank God I had my citibike fob...hopped a bike and skidaddled back home the last couple miles with the bear hot on my heels. Close call too- damned biggest grizzly I've ever seen.

  • Like 1
  • Laughing 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/24/2020 at 9:44 PM, bostonfred said:

Ran my 5K this morning.  Wanted to do this, but wanted to do it for "real" rather than just checking the box and making it a training run.  Between schedule and niggles, was concerned, but blah blah stop making excuses.  Treated it as a real race where I could pick the course and wear headphones.  Went decent - weather was meh, 60s and drizzle, which turned into a semi-downpour for the last 1/2 mile, but I gave it what I had.  Stopped watch at 20:15, though if you look at the 3.11 point it was 20:12.  Would have liked to be under 20, but for a race with no spectators or competitors, and not having done any speedwork since the FBG mile, I suppose I need to be realistic.

  • Like 14
  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I'm in need of a pull back week since my last two runs have been "unproductive" according to garmin.  I've had a stretch of 9 weeks of 40+ mpw and I've only ever had 1 other week of 40+ ever.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dr_Zaius said:

Ran my 5K this morning.  Wanted to do this, but wanted to do it for "real" rather than just checking the box and making it a training run.  Between schedule and niggles, was concerned, but blah blah stop making excuses.  Treated it as a real race where I could pick the course and wear headphones.  Went decent - weather was meh, 60s and drizzle, which turned into a semi-downpour for the last 1/2 mile, but I gave it what I had.  Stopped watch at 20:15, though if you look at the 3.11 point it was 20:12.  Would have liked to be under 20, but for a race with no spectators or competitors, and not having done any speedwork since the FBG mile, I suppose I need to be realistic.

Awesome.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, xulf said:

I think I'm in need of a pull back week since my last two runs have been "unproductive" according to garmin.  I've had a stretch of 9 weeks of 40+ mpw and I've only ever had 1 other week of 40+ ever.

 

 

I didn't say anything but I noticed your HR was significantly higher than usual for you during your run a couple days ago in the low 9's, upper 8's and HR in the 150s. Glad you recognized that.

Edited by gianmarco

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, El Floppo said:

Haven't run since Sunday. Have to figure out office/school hours better.

Todays run took a left after the wburg bridge into Williamsburg and green point instead of my normal right to loop to the manhattan bridge. Ran to the tip of brooklyn, turned around and a bear jumped me somewhere in wburg. Thank God I had my citibike fob...hopped a bike and skidaddled back home the last couple miles with the bear hot on my heels. Close call too- damned biggest grizzly I've ever seen.

Added two hours of tennis with floppinha right afterwards for the Lower East Side Triathlon.

Eta... I'm fried.

Edited by El Floppo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, gianmarco said:

I didn't say anything but I noticed your HR was significantly higher than usual for you during your run a couple days ago in the low 9's, upper 8's and HR in the 150s. Glad you recognized that.

Yeah, that was yesterday and it felt terrible :angry:

My wife had taken a break from running then hurt her back.  She is easing into a 5k training program...I just found out that she got a sitter for us so we can run together tomorrow.  So, it looks I have 6 miles at ~11:15 pace on deck.  Thankfully that pace shouldn't be too strenuous.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Knocked out my Chance for Hope 10K this morning. Tried to push the pace as best I could, but I'm terribly out of shape. Got it done though.

After that:

Farmer Market - last week for corn unfortunately.

Bank

Quik Trip

Mickey D's

Auto Part Store for a headlight for my wifes car.

Grocery Store - loaded up on shrimp, lobster tail, crab legs, and andouille sausage. Doing a seafood boil tonight for my son's birthday. Gonna throw in some new potatoes, corn, onion and garlic from the Farmers Market. A little Old Bay seasoning and some other spices and such - should be good with a cold beer and some college football on the back patio.

Have a good weekend gents. :banned:

 

Edited by ChiefD
  • Like 9
  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of my goals this year was R2R2R, and it was the one I thought I had full control over, since it was self-supported.  Booked a hotel at the south rim, rental car from flagstaff, and was ramping-up my training to try to get myself capable of it.  Planned date was 9Oct (two weeks from now).

Since it wasn't a race (no support), and I've never done that single-day distance (66km) or elevation (12K') before, I needed to create some options to bail-out, should I find myself not capable of that kind of effort in the heat (average 85F at the bottom of the middle of the day).  The last thing I needed was to find myself 3/4 of the way through and not capable of climbing-out of the canyon and nowhere to go.

So I entered the lottery for a cabin at Phantom Ranch (in the valley) as a bailout option at the 3/4 point.  Further, if I got to the halfway point (north rim) and thought I wasn't capable of the return-trip, there is a shuttle service from the north rim to the south rim that I could use.  Happy to throw-away the fees for both just to have the contingency.

Well, I didn't "win" the lottery, so the 3/4 point bailout option was no more.  But I thought I would still give it a try, since I could gauge my reserves at the halfway point and call it quits there if there was any doubt.  Worst-case, R2R would still be fun, if not my goal.

And then this week, I saw a forum post that the shuttle service wasn't operating for a COVID-related reason (it was prohibited from going through the Navajo nation as they are locked-down for the virus).

Thus, zero bailout options now.  And as much as I want to DBAP and try anyway, it just doesn't feel smart.  Temps right now are still close to 100F in the valley, and I've never found myself 50K into a run in that kind of heat to know how I'll react.

So, I canceled the hotel and the car.  Will try for next year, just like most of my other goals, I guess.  :kicksrock:

 

 

 

Trying to find a silver lining in the moment, I decided that I'm going to try to do a "build-my-own-ultra" on the same date:  5x Prairie Mountain.  I've done 4x once before, but never 5x.  The distance won't be "ultra" (only 32K or so), but the elevation (11K') would be a single-day record for me, and take about 9-10 hours.  Given that it's out-and-back five times, I can leave food/water at the car and kind of have an "aid station" between repeats.

So, in preparation, I did 3x today, and it felt good.  4x would have been doable, but I don't know how doable 5x will be until I'm finished the 4th.  

But now I have something to challenge myself, and at least complete the elevation portion of R2R2R...

  • Like 2
  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, ChiefD said:

Grocery Store - loaded up on shrimp, lobster tail, crab legs, and andouille sausage. Doing a seafood boil tonight for my son's birthday. Gonna throw in some new potatoes, corn, onion and garlic from the Farmers Market. A little Old Bay seasoning and some other spices and such - should be good with a cold beer and some college football on the back patio.

This sounds incredible.  Wow.  

Gratz on the 10K and earning the meal!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh, and also in the DBAP category, solo trail running in the dark freaks me the eff out.  Started 90 minutes before sunrise today (so that I could be back home with the wifey at a reasonable hour), and even with the headlamp, noises in the woods had me reaching for the bear spray on a couple occasions...

  • Thinking 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Zasada said:

One of my goals this year was R2R2R, and it was the one I thought I had full control over, since it was self-supported.  Booked a hotel at the south rim, rental car from flagstaff, and was ramping-up my training to try to get myself capable of it.  Planned date was 9Oct (two weeks from now).

Since it wasn't a race (no support), and I've never done that single-day distance (66km) or elevation (12K') before, I needed to create some options to bail-out, should I find myself not capable of that kind of effort in the heat (average 85F at the bottom of the middle of the day).  The last thing I needed was to find myself 3/4 of the way through and not capable of climbing-out of the canyon and nowhere to go.

So I entered the lottery for a cabin at Phantom Ranch (in the valley) as a bailout option at the 3/4 point.  Further, if I got to the halfway point (north rim) and thought I wasn't capable of the return-trip, there is a shuttle service from the north rim to the south rim that I could use.  Happy to throw-away the fees for both just to have the contingency.

Well, I didn't "win" the lottery, so the 3/4 point bailout option was no more.  But I thought I would still give it a try, since I could gauge my reserves at the halfway point and call it quits there if there was any doubt.  Worst-case, R2R would still be fun, if not my goal.

And then this week, I saw a forum post that the shuttle service wasn't operating for a COVID-related reason (it was prohibited from going through the Navajo nation as they are locked-down for the virus).

Thus, zero bailout options now.  And as much as I want to DBAP and try anyway, it just doesn't feel smart.  Temps right now are still close to 100F in the valley, and I've never found myself 50K into a run in that kind of heat to know how I'll react.

So, I canceled the hotel and the car.  Will try for next year, just like most of my other goals, I guess.  :kicksrock:

 

 

 

Trying to find a silver lining in the moment, I decided that I'm going to try to do a "build-my-own-ultra" on the same date:  5x Prairie Mountain.  I've done 4x once before, but never 5x.  The distance won't be "ultra" (only 32K or so), but the elevation (11K') would be a single-day record for me, and take about 9-10 hours.  Given that it's out-and-back five times, I can leave food/water at the car and kind of have an "aid station" between repeats.

So, in preparation, I did 3x today, and it felt good.  4x would have been doable, but I don't know how doable 5x will be until I'm finished the 4th.  

But now I have something to challenge myself, and at least complete the elevation portion of R2R2R...

Bittersweet post, but kudos to you for creating your own challenge. That's what a BMF does.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, ChiefD said:

Knocked out my Chance for Hope 10K this morning. Tried to push the pace as best I could, but I'm terribly out of shape. Got it done though.

After that:

Farmer Market - last week for corn unfortunately.

Bank

Quik Trip

Mickey D's

Auto Part Store for a headlight for my wifes car.

Grocery Store - loaded up on shrimp, lobster tail, crab legs, and andouille sausage. Doing a seafood boil tonight for my son's birthday. Gonna throw in some new potatoes, corn, onion and garlic from the Farmers Market. A little Old Bay seasoning and some other spices and such - should be good with a cold beer and some college football on the back patio.

Have a good weekend gents. :banned:

 

I did mine this morning too. I've got a lot of work to do. I started out nice and easy and then tried to pick it up a little more each mile. First mile in 9:47. 6th mile 8:24. Paused my watch at 6.22 miles and 55:55 for the 10k. Then restarted it for the slow jog home. 

After that: 

Bank

Meijer - shoelaces for my umpire shoes

Home to start some laundry and a few other around the house things

Lunch at local burger joint

Home Depot 

Garden Center

Grocery Store

Back home for some more work.

About to take the dog to get a bath then home for a fire in the fire pit, hot dogs and a couple beers. 

Have a good weekend. :banned:

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, ChiefD said:

Knocked out my Chance for Hope 10K this morning. Tried to push the pace as best I could, but I'm terribly out of shape. Got it done though.

After that:

Farmer Market - last week for corn unfortunately.

Bank

Quik Trip

Mickey D's

Auto Part Store for a headlight for my wifes car.

Grocery Store - loaded up on shrimp, lobster tail, crab legs, and andouille sausage. Doing a seafood boil tonight for my son's birthday. Gonna throw in some new potatoes, corn, onion and garlic from the Farmers Market. A little Old Bay seasoning and some other spices and such - should be good with a cold beer and some college football on the back patio.

Have a good weekend gents. :banned:

 

:obc:

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My mom (77), stepfather (75), and I did our Chance for Hope 10K today.  We didn't time it, for obvious reasons.  :lol:  Oddly enough, we're celebrating tonight with a seafood boil as well.  The ex-Mr.-krista is with us on the Oregon coast, and he shopped for a bunch of fresh dungeness crab, clams, halibut, and some other stuff while we were gone.  I donated the Old Bay and some corn and potatoes I bought at the farmers market.  :) 

Edited by krista4
  • Like 9
  • Love 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm targeting my Chance for Hope 10K for Wednesday ...last day of the month.  That's also very early in the window for the Marine Corp virtual 10K that I signed up for, so I'll double dip on my participation awards.  :rolleyes:

  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, tri-man 47 said:

I'm targeting my Chance for Hope 10K for Wednesday ...last day of the month.  That's also very early in the window for the Marine Corp virtual 10K that I signed up for, so I'll double dip on my participation awards.  :rolleyes:

Its tough to be a medal monger in the age of COVID.

  • Thinking 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, SteelCurtain said:

Its tough to be a medal monger in the age of COVID.

There are a lot of virtual races.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Feeling so strong right now I decided to forget the off day and enjoy the last day of summer weather, so I went for a 4 mile lunch stroll. Wheels seem fine after yesterday's strides to cap off my first 40 mile week since July, so now I'm just deliberating what interval workout to do Wednesday. I have what's hopefully my last PT appt Thursday morning and a massage scheduled in the afternoon, so I'm trying to find that balance between brutally challenging without going over the line.

No Old Bay though :bag:

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/26/2020 at 2:54 PM, ChiefD said:

 

Grocery Store - loaded up on shrimp, lobster tail, crab legs, and andouille sausage. Doing a seafood boil tonight for my son's birthday. Gonna throw in some new potatoes, corn, onion and garlic from the Farmers Market. A little Old Bay seasoning and some other spices and such - should be good with a cold beer and some college football on the back patio.

 

 

 

On 9/26/2020 at 3:47 PM, bushdocda said:

:obc:

 

On 9/26/2020 at 7:34 PM, krista4 said:

 Oddly enough, we're celebrating tonight with a seafood boil as well.  The ex-Mr.-krista is with us on the Oregon coast, and he shopped for a bunch of fresh dungeness crab, clams, halibut, and some other stuff while we were gone.  I donated the Old Bay and some corn and potatoes I bought at the farmers market.  :) 

 

11 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

 

No Old Bay though :bag:

I have to say - this meal was the best meal I have ever made in my life. If anybody ever gets the chance to do it, I just used this recipe and followed it exactly. Dumped everything out on my outdoor table on some butcher paper and we all just stood around and just grabbed and chowed.

Unbelievable. :obc:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ChiefD said:

I have to say - this meal was the best meal I have ever made in my life. If anybody ever gets the chance to do it, I just used this recipe and followed it exactly. Dumped everything out on my outdoor table on some butcher paper and we all just stood around and just grabbed and chowed.

Just dumped it all out, and shoveled it all down.  Nice.

  • Love 1
  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, ChiefD said:

I have to say - this meal was the best meal I have ever made in my life. If anybody ever gets the chance to do it, I just used this recipe and followed it exactly. Dumped everything out on my outdoor table on some butcher paper and we all just stood around and just grabbed and chowed.

Unbelievable. :obc:

I'm not sure there is anything better than a good seafood boil. The wives did it for father's day a few years ago. And my wife and I had actually already put this on the (take-out) menu plan for Friday before you posted as our long range indicates we should be in full blown fall by then, but now I wish we had put it down for earlier in the week. This homemade meal I'm looking at right now is somehow losing some of its luster because of this. Thanks, Chef.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

Feeling so strong right now I decided to forget the off day and enjoy the last day of summer weather, so I went for a 4 mile lunch stroll.

Funny, I also decided to forget the off day....to enjoy the first day of non-summer weather.  :headbang:

  • Like 1
  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, gruecd said:

Funny, I also decided to forget the off day....to enjoy the first day of non-summer weather.  :headbang:

:lmao:

I figured that comment would be like a bat signal for you.

  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm kinda over this whole cancelling for COVID #### going on now. A friend of mine has been training for a race since December of last year. The race was to be in California next month, the 6-12-24 HR World Time Trials. He and his training partner have ridden over 100 century rides this year in preparation for it. Friday he learned that the governor refused to grant the permits for the race. Feel really bad for them, dude is 61 years old and just crushes it on the bike. That's a #### ton of training down the drain.

Edited by beer 30
  • Sad 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This will be my last big week of training before I taper for Fall 50.  Planning to hit 70-80 miles.  I was planning on going 25/12 this weekend, but what kind of pooosay stops at 25 miles?  So I planned a pretty sweet 26.2-mile route that starts at my house and ends at the lakefront in downtown Milwaukee.  Would be great if I could find someone dumb enough to run it with me, but I'm also perfectly fine going it solo.  Temps should be in the upper 30s when I start, so I'm pretty stoked about that.

Right now, long-term forecast calling for race day temps between 42-53°, in which case I'm definitely a "go."

Also, Packers are 3-0 and looking like legit Super Bowl contenders, Brewers snuck into the playoffs, both of my fantasy teams are 3-0, and most importantly, wife is doing well at almost 28 weeks pregnant.  Life is good.  :thumbup:

Edited by gruecd
  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My coach sends me a text last night to start looking at races in 2021:excited:

Now I just need to learn how to swim:lol:Gyms opened up in California last week so we have added swimming into the plan 3 days/week on top of the bike & runs. Need to get a wetsuit (holy crap the $$$ you can spend) and get some open water swims in.  I feel like I'm training for a Tri! I'm down to 210lbs with another 11 to go and keep it there. I feel fantastic, no cramping, no soreness to speak of just a little arthritis in the right big toe but F that thing. 

Looking at a spring sprint in La Quinta March 2021 (if Governor Gavin let's us play😏) and then either the Santa Cruz 70.3 in September or AZ70.3 in October 2021 for my first HM. Kicking around IM Wisconsin in 2022 but that's so far away I just want to keep up the motivation and get some Tri's under my belt before thinking that far down the road.

Good to see the weather is cooling off in most parts of the US and that Ya'll get in some great miles in the beauty of Autumn 2020!!

Oh, and the Packers are 3-0:football:

  • Like 3
  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, beer 30 said:

I'm kinda over this whole cancelling for COVID #### going on now. A friend of mine has been training for a race since December of last year. The race was to be in California next month, the 6-12-24 HR World Time Trials. He and his training partner have ridden over 100 century rides this year in preparation for it. Friday he learned that the governor refused to grant the permits for the race. Feel really bad for them, dude is 61 years old and just crushes it on the bike. That's a #### ton of training down the drain.

I feel bad for people like me that were 8 weeks out from a race when the pandemic hit, but I don't feel bad for those that get okeydoked now. If you've been training for anything since then you have to bake potential to cancel into the plan. I'm planning to sign up for something in November just to satisfy my Fall racing itch, but I'm not deciding which one until probably the week of. This has been an especially rough year and if I train for something in particular in October only to get the rug pulled out from under me then I'm concerned how I'll respond after - so, just not gonna put myself in that (potential) position. Maybe I'll be in more of a gambling mood come 2021, but that's not a question to ponder before then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MAC_32 said:

I feel bad for people like me that were 8 weeks out from a race when the pandemic hit, but I don't feel bad for those that get okeydoked now. If you've been training for anything since then you have to bake potential to cancel into the plan. I'm planning to sign up for something in November just to satisfy my Fall racing itch, but I'm not deciding which one until probably the week of. This has been an especially rough year and if I train for something in particular in October only to get the rug pulled out from under me then I'm concerned how I'll respond after - so, just not gonna put myself in that (potential) position. Maybe I'll be in more of a gambling mood come 2021, but that's not a question to ponder before then.

Talk to him, @ChiefD.  Let him know you won't cancel our late November, virtual HM, BMF bonding experience.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I paced my wife today for the Chance for Hope 5K.  She had just started a 5K training program to ease back into running after some time off and an injury.  That plan had her going for a 9:39 pace by the end of the training.  Even though she was only a couple weeks into the plan, she told me she wanted 9:20 :wub:  

Of course, I had other things in mind (which I didn't tell her) and told her not to look at her watch for the whole run :stirspot:

I wanted her close enough to try to break 9:00 if there was anything left in the tank at the end.  We ran the first mile right at 9:00 on a nice downhill so the perceived effort wasn't quite that fast.  Mile 2 was 9:13, so I knew we had a chance to break 9:00 for the whole race.  I asked if she could push the last .25 of mile 3 and then the final .1.  She seemed a bit hesitant, so I waited until 2.85 to start pushing the pace.  Got Mile 3 in the low 8:50s and then 8:30s for the final .1.  She pushed and gave it all she had.  

I saw that my final race pace was 9:02 (slightly disappointed that we were so close but didn't quite get there) and after she recomposed herself I asked how she thought it went.  She said she secretly had hoped for a 9:00 but didn't want to tell me and then come up short.  Her watch had her at an 8:59 pace :towelwave:

 

Side note - my running HR still sucks right now (10-15 bpm higher than it should be).  I lost a V02Max point today on this run.  I took yesterday off and did this which should have been a relatively easy run, in hope of doing my 5K tomorrow.  I think that is out for now as I need some more time off.  I will probably do something easy and short tomorrow to reassess. 

  • Like 15
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mileage wise, 2019 me is feeling good vs 2020 me as we head into fourth quarter.  Didn’t make up much ground with 159 miles in Sept but did get more lunges and leg work in than usual.

2020 me needs to step up as I had big Oct & Nov in 2019 but a back off in December 2019.  

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got my September mileage up to pre-injury levels (361km/224mi).  Set a new PR for monthly elevation gain (8,844m/29K').

Still 132km behind 2,500mi pace for 2020.  Probably not going to get there, but should get close.  If I can stay healthy, that is.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I gotta say, after crossing off original goals and writing in 'get healthy' for August and September...it's ####### awesome to actually put pen to paper with a monthly plan for October.

MPW (and strength) during rehab - 7 (1 hr), 16 (1.5 hrs), 21 (2.25 hrs), 22 (1.5 hrs), 19 (1.75 hrs), 28 (2.75 hrs), 34 (2.5 hrs), 40 (2.5 hrs). 134.5 miles for September, assertive goal for October is a 200 mile month - conservative is 175...where I end up depends on rest days more than anything. I intend to do one SoS per week, steadily increase the weekly long run, mix in trails when my body and the schedule allow, and continue the yoga habits I began this month. I also intend to reintroduce more dynamic strength work, but I'm going to be very careful picking my spots to try it - and pulling the plug if need be. 

Now to find a race...

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been trying to find a new shoe since New Balance discontinued the Zante line.  Tried my first Hoka this week.  Definitely different, not sure yet if I like them or not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Dr_Zaius said:

Been trying to find a new shoe since New Balance discontinued the Zante line.  Tried my first Hoka this week.  Definitely different, not sure yet if I like them or not.

Should’ve talked to me. Try the New Balance FuelCell Rebel.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I woke up early and ran today. Look at me.

  • Like 1
  • Thinking 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chance for Hope 10K

43:31  (6:59/mi)

For the past 2-3 months I've been focused on building a strong base: 50 miles/week with a step-back every fourth week.  I'm in the third full week of the current cycle.  I've slipped in some SOS, but not any serious interval training.   But as we know: Volume is king.  I returned to the course used for our BMF 10K race back in May (= 44:03).  It generally has a nice downslope to it, but it also has a couple of challenges. I didn't have to rush to head out there this morning, so the routines were comfortable.  Temp averaged around 60 degrees, and I did have to deal with a rather stiff west wind. As before, I parked near the midpoint and jogged 3 miles to my starting point.

Mile 1: 6:59 (143 HR).  I had a nice downslope to get things started and a couple other slight declines to help in this first mile.  But I was running west into the wind for the first half mile.

Mile 2: 7:06 (163).  I hit the light wrong at the one intersection of note, but as planned, I added a short out and back to work through it.  I was worried that the extra turns would hurt the pace, but not so much.  I noticed that my cruising pace on the flats was around 7:00-7:05, which was encouraging as I had no idea what might feel appropriate.  I was also feeling the effort in my quads, but unlike the run in May, my legs are now strong enough to handle the effort.

Mile 3: 7:05 (152).  Late in this mile I had an expressway overpass, but that wasn't much of an issue.  And oddly, about halfway through the mile, my HR dropped from the low 160s to the low 150s...eventually settling into the mid 140s. "Finding my legs" as the run went on?  Relaxing as I knew I was in the back half?  :shrug:

Mile 4: 6:59 (146).  Just moving along here, knowing an incline and a pesky hill were awaiting me. While I felt as though I was weakening, my cruising pace had dropped below 7:00.  Somewhere in this back half of negative splitting, I dropped a 21:31 5K.

Mile 5: 7:05 (145).  Ouch.  First third of this mile was not fun, but then I got to the best part of this course, a long sloping downhill for almost a mile.  That downhill made up for a sluggish start to the mile.

Mile 6: 6:43 (144).  Most of this was flat, and actually had some upslope for a pedestrian bridge over a river.  But with the finish approaching, I just ran it strong.

Final .22: 6:45 (151).  HR was climbing as I anxiously anticipated the finish.

All in all, very pleasing with a sub-7:00 pace!  It felt really good to run this on behalf of the Foundation.  The time was only about :30 faster than back in May, but I didn't have any taper for this.  The low HR strikes me as odd.  Maybe that indicates my aerobic capacity is running ahead of my leg strength or fast-paced striding.  This was a nice way to finish up my current AG, as I advance to a new, really old man group on Saturday.

  • Like 13
  • Love 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Cleaning out some running stuff tonight and found my old Garmin 610 watch.  If anybody wants it, just me know, and I'll send it to you.  I've got the charging cord, but I can't find the ANT+ USB stick thing, so if you want to upload your stuff to Garmin Connect to post to Strava or whatever you'll need to either buy the stick for $12 on Ebay to do it wirelessly or else just use the cord to connect the watch to your computer and do it that way.  

Edited by gruecd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, gruecd said:

Cleaning out some running stuff tonight and found my old Garmin 610 watch.  If anybody wants it, just me know, and I'll send it to you.  I've got the charging cord, but I can't find the ANT+ USB stick thing, so if you want to upload your stuff to Garmin Connect to post to Strava or whatever you'll need to either buy the stick for $12 on Ebay to do it wirelessly or else just use the cord to connect the watch to your computer and do it that way.  

I mean...sure!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, gruecd said:

Cleaning out some running stuff tonight and found my old Garmin 610 watch.  If anybody wants it, just me know, and I'll send it to you.  I've got the charging cord, but I can't find the ANT+ USB stick thing, so if you want to upload your stuff to Garmin Connect to post to Strava or whatever you'll need to either buy the stick for $12 on Ebay to do it wirelessly or else just use the cord to connect the watch to your computer and do it that way.  

I would take it for my wife. The garmin i bought her broke. I am local too so I could pick it up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

I mean...sure!

PM me your info. I’ll plug it in tomorrow and make sure it still works, but it should.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, parasaurolophus said:

Darnit el floppo beat me to it! 

I am slowest guy in this thread for sure. 

Sorry bruh 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mrs APK started running a few weeks ago.  Not sure what motivated her to give it a go, but she’s been doing a slow-paced 2-3 miles a couple times a week.  She wanted to run more, but after doing back-to-back days decided it might be better to ease in.  She’s discovered that temperature and humidity affect her heart rate, but claims that she feels no difference between a 150 and 180 heart rate over 2-3 miles.  (Hmmmm....)

Anyway, I’m trying to be supportive without making a big deal out of this.  The minute I say too much, this fad will get shut down.  
 

In the meantime, if anyone has advice for new runner Mrs APK, she claims that “she will listen to this group, not me.”

  • Like 6
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Alex P Keaton said:

Mrs APK started running a few weeks ago.  Not sure what motivated her to give it a go, but she’s been doing a slow-paced 2-3 miles a couple times a week.  She wanted to run more, but after doing back-to-back days decided it might be better to ease in.  She’s discovered that temperature and humidity affect her heart rate, but claims that she feels no difference between a 150 and 180 heart rate over 2-3 miles.  (Hmmmm....)

Anyway, I’m trying to be supportive without making a big deal out of this.  The minute I say too much, this fad will get shut down.  
 

In the meantime, if anyone has advice for new runner Mrs APK, she claims that “she will listen to this group, not me.”

Tell your wife @tri-man 47 knows everything about running.  :P

  • Like 1
  • Laughing 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.