What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (10 Viewers)

When all this Covid BS is up, definitely wanna head up to Canada and do a mountain ultra with you!
Yeah and if we can get @SFBayDuck back healthy, all three of us could crush some trails up here.  Sinister 7 is the local #BMF ultra, but I'm not enough of a #BMF to run it.  Iron Legs is in my usual stomping grounds and more within my capabilities.  Either way, a day+ on the trails with you guys, followed by some Alberta steak (Alberta is the Texas of Canada) and microbrews would rock.

As I told @gianmarco this morning, I'm kicking around the idea of maybe joining him and the missus for this race.  I already ran it past the wife, and she's surprisingly OK with me leaving her at home for a few days with a then-7-week-old baby.  I think I'm mentally ready to do the prep, but as our esteemed doctor pointed out, my training would need to be much more flexible than normal and would almost certainly end up being something less than ideal.  That said, I can't realistically expect to get into PR shape in 4 months anyway,  so I'd be treating this as a "stepping stone" of sorts on my way to (hopefully) another PR attempt next November at Monumental.

Thoughts from the peanut gallery?
Stay home with the baby. 

When you're counting/logging, what's your target daily calories just to maintain?
Assume:

*a normal amount of weekly activity (about 8 hours)

*no more than one night of potential drinking

*and no special occasions that will result in food I won't normally eat ending up in the house (we have two cakes in the kitchen right now)

3500 is the north end, but I try to stay closer to 3K. This way if I get to Sunday and I get an eating like a 🐷 urge then I don't have to fight it.

As I told @gianmarco this morning, I'm kicking around the idea of maybe joining him and the missus for this race.  I already ran it past the wife, and she's surprisingly OK with me leaving her at home for a few days with a then-7-week-old baby.  I think I'm mentally ready to do the prep, but as our esteemed doctor pointed out, my training would need to be much more flexible than normal and would almost certainly end up being something less than ideal.  That said, I can't realistically expect to get into PR shape in 4 months anyway,  so I'd be treating this as a "stepping stone" of sorts on my way to (hopefully) another PR attempt next November at Monumental.

Thoughts from the peanut gallery?
Yea. You really need to up your volume before you even think about attempting to run a marathon. Ask @MAC_32.

Obviously you know your wife better than any of us do, but I would add to this that your wife's feelings on such matters now may differ from your wife's feelings on such matters after the baby is born. 
Agree. And I meant to add more to my answer but I kept getting interrupted at work.

From experience, those first couple of months with your first baby are HARD. So many changes, you are on low amounts of sleep, and a couple really needs to work together to make it work.

She will be really tired from late night feedings, as will @gruecd. But those first few months are the best times. You learn A LOT about yourselves as a couple, and you cry out of frustration, and you laugh your asses off at 2:00 am when you both realize you have no idea what you are doing.

You only get one chance to be a first time parent - and there will be other races.

Just my .02

Obviously you know your wife better than any of us do, but I would add to this that your wife's feelings on such matters now may differ from your wife's feelings on such matters after the baby is born. 
I was thinking the same thing.  Those first 6 months aren't that difficult aside from the lack of sleep.  Once that baby starts moving though, oof.  Get ready for: 

Wife: "What do you mean you are going for a long run? Will you be back in 55 minutes or 58 minutes?"  

Agree. And I meant to add more to my answer but I kept getting interrupted at work.

From experience, those first couple of months with your first baby are HARD. So many changes, you are on low amounts of sleep, and a couple really needs to work together to make it work.

She will be really tired from late night feedings, as will @gruecd. But those first few months are the best times. You learn A LOT about yourselves as a couple, and you cry out of frustration, and you laugh your asses off at 2:00 am when you both realize you have no idea what you are doing.

You only get one chance to be a first time parent - and there will be other races.

Just my .02
I appreciate the feedback, and I totally get all that, but we're talking about me potentially being gone for 2-3 nights, not 2-3 weeks.

Assume:

*and no special occasions that will result in food I won't normally eat ending up in the house (we have two cakes in the kitchen right now)

3500 is the north end, but I try to stay closer to 3K. This way if I get to Sunday and I get an eating like a 🐷 urge then I don't have to fight it.
Wow.  I'm usually around 1900 + whatever I earn from running (about 600/hr).  So usually about 2600 daily average.  But I'm a scrawny weakling.

Assume:

What's your limit for the afternoon/evening?

Speaking of laughter, one of my most surreal experiences with our first child was my wife coming back to bed after a nighttime feeding completely distraught:

Wife : What do I do with the other baby?

Me : Huh?

Wife : There's a baby in the crib.

Me : Isn't that what we want?

Wife : But what about the other one?

Me : What other one?  We only have one baby.

Wife : What about this one?  [gestures angrily to arm that is cradling an invisible baby]

Me : Um, you're not holding a baby.  

Wife : Oh. I'm really tired.

This is as close to verbatim as I can remember.  We still crack up reminiscing about this every now and then.

Wow.  I'm usually around 1900 + whatever I earn from running (about 600/hr).  So usually about 2600 daily average.  But I'm a scrawny weakling.
My baseline is about 2200 calories. My actual caloric burn/day varies, but I average between 1200 and 1300 calories when I sustain an 8 hours of exercise/week average. 

Assume:

I've been trying to do 2,200 plus whatever I burn exercising (for example, 366 today on the Peloton), but I'm already at 1,747, and I'm famished.  I also don't think I'm eating enough protein.

I have a great idea.  You can pick up the baby and babysit while house hunting in Wisconsin, while the Grues and the Marcos have a great time in AZ!
Then 20 years later, everyone will wonder why, when Miss Gru-ette comes home from college, all she wants to do is sit by the garage entrance and drink beer ...with an occasional foray to the local Home Depot to see if any new shovels have arrived.

This probably won't be resolved until @lumpy19 stops by to make a nuanced comment on  the matter.
I’m glad others with more thread credibility brought up what I was thinking. My own personal opinion and everyone is different but not only am I not leaving my wife alone with a 7 week old I’m also such a mental disaster from lack of sleep that there’s no way I’m running regularly leading up to and after the baby.  I have 3 kids and month 3 was about where I could function normally again for each of them.

Yep to all of that.

I used to compare the first months of that first kid to a building in an earthquake. The lateral forces (baby+no sleep+stress of making sure the kid doesn't die) will always find the weakest point in the structure (sanity, post-partum, relationship) and shake until structural failure or the shaking stops. And this can happen any time those first months. The structure needs to be sound, well designed and prepared for the inevitable quake at 4am when the mind and emotions aren't necessarily awake or in tune. But once you're through it, you know you and the relatuonshio can stand up to anything.

And 7 weeks in is about when the adrenaline babymoon is in the rearview mirror and the real cracks from exhaustion and stress start to set in for on or both parents. The only guys I know who didn't go through this were the type of dads who were more 1950s in their approach to being a husband and dad- remote and uninvolved with both the kids and their wives. If it works for the wife, I guess it can work for the guy. Never really had that conversation with the wives though.

I've told my own training for a marathon with our first newborn story too many times.

Tldr...it didn't go well.

It's funny...I used to think my three years of grad school and first couple years of work going up to 3 straight nights without sleep pretty routinely would train me for the first kid. Kind of...but main difference being I could always find a 1-2 day stretch to turn off, sleep and recharge. With the first kid, that goes away.

The running stroller is the ONE thing that my wife has actually agreed to let me pick out for the baby.  She gets to pick the everyday stroller, the lightweight "umbrella" stroller, and essentially everything else.
Be interested to hear your take on the running stroller. I've heard people say it was a good workout and other that literally screwed there knee up so bad they had to have an operation and no longer run. Much different gait with the stroller.

I'm in awe of you BMFs who manage families alongside work, running, and other stuff.  No kids for my wife and me, and still my weekdays are basically "wake/run/work/eat/sleep/repeat".  No idea how I'd fit family into that.  Much respect.

beer 30 said:
Be interested to hear your take on the running stroller. I've heard people say it was a good workout and other that literally screwed there knee up so bad they had to have an operation and no longer run. Much different gait with the stroller.
I don't think I adjusted my stride much using either of ours (we had a single and a double). Upper body? Yes, massive difference there. The only way I could get comfortable was to alternate hands every couple minutes. But waist down? No issues. And, yes, it is a great workout - more effort/mile necessary, depending on the size of small human(s). While I was slower (especially going uphill!) I never ran for more than an hour.

beer 30 said:
Well I've pushed an adult in a half marathon for myTEAM TRIUMPH, so I'm not too worried about pushing a kid.  It was definitely harder on the shoulders/upper body than it was on the legs, but I lift fairly regularly, so it wasn't too bad.

Also, you don't run directly behind it.  You run to the side with one hand on the handlebar.  I don't see why it would change your stride/gait.

Last edited by a moderator:
Zasada said:
I'm in awe of you BMFs who manage families alongside work, running, and other stuff.  No kids for my wife and me, and still my weekdays are basically "wake/run/work/eat/sleep/repeat".  No idea how I'd fit family into that.  Much respect.
Same

Need a new knee, no problem run through the pain. Twist my ankle on a run, no problem run through the pain. Plantar Fasciitis, no problem run through the pain. Scitica shooting down my leg, no problem run through the pain. Ingrown toenail, cannot run with it. 

OK, I think I'm gonna sign up to run the Milwaukee Marathon instead on April 10.  Way harder course than Mesa with 766 feet of gain, but it just makes more sense.  Doesn't require a trip out of town, allows me to train on the actual course, and gives me an extra 8 weeks to get ready.  Plus I can have wife and baby out there cheering for me.  If I'm being honest with myself, I'm not going to PR next spring anyway, so as much as I'd love to hang out with the Marcos for a few days, why spend the time and money?  This way I can do a longer build-up and also have plenty of flexibility if I need to move things around or skip week or two when the baby comes.

Running the HM in this tomorrow: http://www.dinoseries.com/tecumseh-trail-marathon/

Will be more of a long run than a 'race' but should be fun. Supposed to start storming about 2pm today with rain likely continuing through the rest of the day/night. Weather will be great for race time but the trails will likely be pretty muddy - especially since they are doing staggered starts and the HM starts last. Will probably mean I get a sloppy course by the time I get started but should be fun. 

Zasada said:
Just wake up by 5, get it done before work.

Well I've pushed an adult in a half marathon for myTEAM TRIUMPH, so I'm not too worried about pushing a kid.  It was definitely harder on the shoulders/upper body than it was on the legs, but I lift fairly regularly, so it wasn't too bad.

Also, you don't run directly behind it.  You run to the side with one hand on the handlebar.  I don't see why it would change your stride/gait.
This takes some practice, especially with hills, but yes.

Same. Strava called one of my runs a night run the other day.
Yup if you start at or before 0359, it's a night run.

It was strange running in the afternoon today.  I had to actually be mindful of cars in the handful of street crossings I have.  It was "cold and blustery" (by Texas standards, I found it to be quite nice) so not too many runners out, though.

Also I've noticed I seem to run faster in the afternoon.  The few times I've done it, I've found myself defaulting to a faster pace than I normally do in the mornings.  Did my fastest 21.1km today in months.  Almost a year, I think (going back to my last non-virtual race, the Vegas R&R HM).

Um, yeah, I already do that.  Up at 0315 on weekdays I'm running 20Ks.  Still don't have time for anything but working, eating, and sleeping.

And pooping.
20ks during the work week take up more time than I'm willing to put in right now. 

Yup if you start at or before 0359, it's a night run.

It was strange running in the afternoon today.  I had to actually be mindful of cars in the handful of street crossings I have.  It was "cold and blustery" (by Texas standards, I found it to be quite nice) so not too many runners out, though.

Also I've noticed I seem to run faster in the afternoon.  The few times I've done it, I've found myself defaulting to a faster pace than I normally do in the mornings.  Did my fastest 21.1km today in months.  Almost a year, I think (going back to my last non-virtual race, the Vegas R&R HM).
Yeah, I always run faster in the afternoons. When I am seriously training for something, I simply cannot run early in the morning. My body (and mind) just isn't ready for speed work that early.

Yeah, I always run faster in the afternoons. When I am seriously training for something, I simply cannot run early in the morning. My body (and mind) just isn't ready for speed work that early.
Same. General aerobic runs, whatever. But any speed/quality has to come later in the day.

Users who are viewing this thread