What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (5 Viewers)

Yeah, I think it makes sense. You're giving up privacy already with the GPS but it's a little better without the flyby.
you can still do it if you turn it on. I turned mine back on. Doing a little research, they turned it off after a minor stink on twitter a while back but it was for a different part of the site. But they didn't really give much info on it disappearing apparently or how to turn it on. It's easy to do but you have to go find it in your privacy settings.

How much value do your place on Garmin watch features like Training Status, Load, and Recovery hours?  
Very little.  Not that I'm an expert, but I see these numbers/statuses bounce around so much that I can't really rely on them for anything.  Other than just trivial observations.

The estimated race times being so incredibly wrong (for me) also doesn't give me much more faith in anything else Garmin does in terms of training recommendations.

Very little.  Not that I'm an expert, but I see these numbers/statuses bounce around so much that I can't really rely on them for anything.  Other than just trivial observations.

The estimated race times being so incredibly wrong (for me) also doesn't give me much more faith in anything else Garmin does in terms of training recommendations.
Yes, my new watch may not have enough data yet but race predictor has me a lot slower than I think I am.  I even purposely ran a hard tempo this morning to get the times down but that didn't work.  

"Body battery" is nice although mainly as a reminder to get enough sleep.

My initial thought is Recovery Time is interesting although somewhat common sense.

Yes, my new watch may not have enough data yet but race predictor has me a lot slower than I think I am.  I even purposely ran a hard tempo this morning to get the times down but that didn't work.  

"Body battery" is nice although mainly as a reminder to get enough sleep.

My initial thought is Recovery Time is interesting although somewhat common sense.
Another issue is that sometimes my watch will read my HR wrong for a stretch (pegged to my max for a number of miles), and that will throw off all the metrics.  

At least with Strava, I can tell it to ignore HR and use perceived effort for those runs.  There's no way I know of to tell Garmin to ignore HR or (in a perfect world) edit said HR.

I think I'm ready to start training for a race but, alas, there aren't races around here in winter and I'm too nervous about covid cancellations to plan a trip.

I think I'm ready to start training for a race but, alas, there aren't races around here in winter and I'm too nervous about covid cancellations to plan a trip.
Your workout this morning shows that you're not far from being in race shape. I feel the same way about races and am just taking things week by week.  This week I just want to get in 60 and run at least 3 maybe 4 miles at my current tempo pace.

Your workout this morning shows that you're not far from being in race shape. I feel the same way about races and am just taking things week by week.  This week I just want to get in 60 and run at least 3 maybe 4 miles at my current tempo pace.
Yes, I've been thinking that you've done so much base training recently that you should be more than ready for those type workouts.

I'm going to run Milwaukee on April 10.  Starting training on December 7.  It's only $69 to register, and it's only a 90-minute drive for you, so pretty much zero planning required.  Just a thought...

Also, is "Breasted Ave" as amazing as it sounds?

I'm going to run Milwaukee on April 10.  Starting training on December 7.  It's only $69 to register, and it's only a 90-minute drive for you, so pretty much zero planning required.  Just a thought...

Also, is "Breasted Ave" as amazing as it sounds?
I'll keep Milwaukee in mind.  I'll find something this spring.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll keep Milwaukee in mind.  I'd find something this spring.
I deferred Carmel from this year, so I'm registered for that, too, on April 3.  Gives me a possible pivot if Milwaukee would get canceled (in which case there's the option for a full refund, btw).

Avoid the PSF. maybe venture into the shark pool or stock thread occasionally.
I rarely ever visit the PSF anymore.  And I never post.

I posted in a couple of threads in the Shark Pool this past weekend, but nobody wanted to listen when I told them not to drink the Kool-Aid on A.J. Dillon yesterday because it was going to be the Jamaal Williams show.  :shrug:

Pretty much this.  When I started gearing up my mileage again earlier in the calendar year, it was telling me to take 3-4 days of recovery.  Now, it's often more like 15-30 hours.  I have noticed that when I overextend, the recovery time that shows is longer.  But as you say, that's all common sense.

Pretty much this.  When I started gearing up my mileage again earlier in the calendar year, it was telling me to take 3-4 days of recovery.  Now, it's often more like 15-30 hours.  I have noticed that when I overextend, the recovery time that shows is longer.  But as you say, that's all common sense.
And even the VO2MAX calculation feels error-prone.  Went out this morning, nice cool temps (could have lived without the rain and wind, though).  Ran a good pace, HR was in a good spot, and of course Garmin bumps-up my VO2MAX to 59.  Had I run that in 70F temps, there's no way that would have happened.  There really needs to be a temperature adjustment to these calculations.  I can't just have a high VO2MAX in winter, and lower in summer.

This just popped into my head for absolutely no reason whatsoever. Has anyone seen a cowboy dress up as a gorilla for a race? Thinking it'd be good schtick this weekend.

And even the VO2MAX calculation feels error-prone.  Went out this morning, nice cool temps (could have lived without the rain and wind, though).  Ran a good pace, HR was in a good spot, and of course Garmin bumps-up my VO2MAX to 59.  Had I run that in 70F temps, there's no way that would have happened.  There really needs to be a temperature adjustment to these calculations.  I can't just have a high VO2MAX in winter, and lower in summer.
Look at me, my VO2MAX is 59!

A new runner to the thread!  Welcome.  Don't run too fast when you start.  There's a ton of science about cadence out there.  Be sure to read up.
Thanks!

As I'm just getting back to running, I have a question for the esteemed group:

I'm way out of shape.  Just got out and did 3 miles, felt decent.  I'm going to use at least the next couple of weeks to get back into it and try to get out pretty much every day but keep mileage at 3-4 miles to start.  Right now, my HR is easily 20 bpm higher than where I was.

Am I better off pushing the pace to where I used to be with the higher HR and let it come down or am I better off slowing down significantly to keep the HR where it should be and slowly speed up over the next couple weeks?

Thanks!

As I'm just getting back to running, I have a question for the esteemed group:

I'm way out of shape.  Just got out and did 3 miles, felt decent.  I'm going to use at least the next couple of weeks to get back into it and try to get out pretty much every day but keep mileage at 3-4 miles to start.  Right now, my HR is easily 20 bpm higher than where I was.

Am I better off pushing the pace to where I used to be with the higher HR and let it come down or am I better off slowing down significantly to keep the HR where it should be and slowly speed up over the next couple weeks?
The harder you press right now the quicker you'll get back to where you were, but the harder you press right now the more likely you are to sustain an injury. Risk <> reward.

Anecdotally speaking, I started training for a November half at the beginning of August 19 after a relatively inactive summer. That was pre-HR monitor days, but I know my effort those first 6-8 weeks were significantly above optimal levels. But after a stepback week to race at the beginning of October I had the best 6 week stretch of training I think I've ever had. That doesn't happen if I took a more risk averse approach in August and September.

I usually go the middle route.  Run a little slower with a higher heart rate and then, as fitness comes back, speed up while having a lower heart rate.

The harder you press right now the quicker you'll get back to where you were, but the harder you press right now the more likely you are to sustain an injury. Risk <> reward.

Anecdotally speaking, I started training for a November half at the beginning of August 19 after a relatively inactive summer. That was pre-HR monitor days, but I know my effort those first 6-8 weeks were significantly above optimal levels. But after a stepback week to race at the beginning of October I had the best 6 week stretch of training I think I've ever had. That doesn't happen if I took a more risk averse approach in August and September.
Thanks.

That's partly why I'm keeping the runs shorter to start.  My right IT band still wasn't happy the last couple runs and it started right around mile 3.  I figure if I keep runs at 3-4 miles and rebuild some leg strength, I'll be good.  I'll work on pushing the paces and getting the HR up, kind of like I did today. 

Speaking of which, Mrs. Cowboy finally got a running coach.  I think it's a good idea and will be interesting to see how things go.  He does believe she's capable of a BQ.  Eventual goal will be 3:40.  She just received her first plan covering the next 6 weeks.  It's not all that different than our normal training.  However, there is one part I noticed that really raised my eyebrows.  Curious your thoughts. 

Her GMP right now is 8:20-8:30 pacing.  He wants her to adjust her previous easy run paces.  He now wants her "easy" runs to be between 8:45-9:15 pacing (we've been in the 10-10:30 range).  Thoughts?

Speaking of which, Mrs. Cowboy finally got a running coach.  I think it's a good idea and will be interesting to see how things go.  He does believe she's capable of a BQ.  Eventual goal will be 3:40.  She just received her first plan covering the next 6 weeks.  It's not all that different than our normal training.  However, there is one part I noticed that really raised my eyebrows.  Curious your thoughts. 

Her GMP right now is 8:20-8:30 pacing.  He wants her to adjust her previous easy run paces.  He now wants her "easy" runs to be between 8:45-9:15 pacing (we've been in the 10-10:30 range).  Thoughts?
I don't adhere to hard rules when it comes to easy running - it depends on factors unique to that day. There are days my easy run is around 8 minute pace and there are days it's near 10. Hell there were long run days when I was nearing peak shape last winter my HR barely elevated over 140 at paces near 7:30. 

For your cowgirl, with improved fitness and more optimal training conditions comes faster easy runs. She is in a completely different place fitness wise right now than she was beginning marathon training last time. And fall/winter training in St Louis is substantially different than spring/summer.

I don't adhere to hard rules when it comes to easy running - it depends on factors unique to that day. There are days my easy run is around 8 minute pace and there are days it's near 10. Hell there were long run days when I was nearing peak shape last winter my HR barely elevated over 140 at paces near 7:30. 
Yeah my ERs are more about feel/effort than pace.  Very weather-dependent. 

By "easy" does he mean "recovery" or "general aerobic?"  That's way too fast for GA runs (what my coach calls "glue" runs).  When I'm training to race at sub-6:50 pace, my GA pace tends to be in the 7:30-8:00 range.  If he meant recovery, that's REALLY too fast.

9-minute pace is about 7% slower than 8:25 pace, whereas 7:45 pace is 13% slower than 6:50 pace.  

Users who are viewing this thread