What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (5 Viewers)

Your average annual snowfall is 29". Ours is is 72". You're correct to not expend any time nor energy on it. For me, means of survival.  :lol:

But if you're curious just for general knowledge purposes this is a good, brief primer. 
Interesting.  So you're more talking about the general temperature when snow's around.  I thought you were suggesting running in the snow made you colder or warmer and affected how you dress.

Touche on the climate here versus the Land, but I will say we do get some whopper Nor'easters here.  We had 30" in 48 hours a few winters back.  That sticks around for a while  :lmao:   On the other hand, last year we had almost nothing, which I can't ever remember happening before.

Interesting.  So you're more talking about the general temperature when snow's around.  I thought you were suggesting running in the snow made you colder or warmer and affected how you dress.

Touche on the climate here versus the Land, but I will say we do get some whopper Nor'easters here.  We had 30" in 48 hours a few winters back.  That sticks around for a while  :lmao:   On the other hand, last year we had almost nothing, which I can't ever remember happening before.
I was - and I wasn't. When we get snow dumped on us a period of cold usually follows and that's why. So combine that with areas in which I may encounter snow build-up for any number of reasons and I over-dress to counter. Extra socks + pants instead of shorts helps absorb that moisture rather than (as much of) it getting to my body. Nothing will send me home early on a run more than cold + wet from the knee, down. And running through calf high snow is not an unusual occurrence around here!

Yeah, once I get into it last year, I finally got a feel for how to dress.

Gloves for anything 40's or below.  If it's upper 40's and sunny, they might come off.  Otherwise, they stay on the whole time.

I usually do fine with shorts in the 40's.  If it gets to low 40's and there's no sun and/or it's windy, then I'll throw the tights on.  Funny thing is that wearing shorts when it's really cold has never bothered me much but I THINK I run better/feel better with the tights for whatever reason when it gets that cold. 

My biggest variability is tops/layers, neck covering, and hat.  In the 40's, I sometimes get by with just a single layer long sleeve top, especially if it's sunny or if I'm running a little harder.  Otherwise, especially if gray and/or windy I'll throw on a short sleeve shirt and a light zip up.  I'll end up a little warm but it doesn't bother me that much.  No neck/face covering, no hat.

In the 30's, I'm usually doing 2 layers.  Lower 30's I have a slightly thicker zip up, but still do fine with that.  During the winter, this is where things usually felt the best.  Feel warm enough at the start (maybe a slight chill) and by the end feel really comfortable.  Neck/face covering if windy.  Hat only if in low 30's.

In the 20-30 range, I'm wearing a thermal layer and then a 2nd zip up layer.  Almost always a face/neck covering gaiter, and almost always a hat.  If it's sunny, the hat comes off mid run.

Less than 20, I just wear whatever it takes to feel comfortable at the start and I deal with whatever warmth I have.  If I need to shed a layer I will, but I'm usually at 2 and will get to 3 layers if it gets into the single digits. 

The worst thing isn't the cold.  It's the lack of sun and/or wind with it.  If it's sunny and 15, that's still a good day and much better than 35-40 with gray skies and wind.
My weather gear is typically really dependent on my workout.  Hard workouts obviously require less clothes.

Short story, last winter it was 5 a.m. and about 18 degrees at my house.  I wore tights and long sleeve tech shirt as I would be doing an interval workout (I think mile repeats).  I get halfway through the workout (including warmup, recoveries) and I was 5 miles from my house but I feel the chafing of the nipple.  I try to run the next interval while "holding" the shirt away from the nipple but it really messed with my form and my pace.  So I decide to strip off the shirt.  So I'm doing my run topless in the dark in the dead of winter.  Interestingly enough, I didn't get cold.  My body was generating so much heat from the run, I barely noticed the cold against my skin.  In many ways, it was refreshing.  I finished the last 5 miles with no shirt on in 18 degrees.  I live in a small town and I'm sure those who drove by me thought I had lost my mind.

@Juxtatarot & @pbm107 -- what kind of streaks are you rocking right now?  Feels like I've seen you guys running every day for quite some time.
My last day off was Sept 28, @Juxtatarot is the streaker around here. For the most part I try to show up everyday, hoping to to get inspired.  I feel like I'm starting to build momentum as I have 255 miles so far for the month and should end up with a new monthly high for the year (272 in July) and the most I have run in a month since Oct 18. I no longer feel like I am Two Years Away From Being Two Years Away, but more like coming up on a training cycle that is one away from a meaningful one (Fall 21).

My last day off was Sept 28, @Juxtatarot is the streaker around here. For the most part I try to show up everyday, hoping to to get inspired.  I feel like I'm starting to build momentum as I have 255 miles so far for the month and should end up with a new monthly high for the year (272 in July) and the most I have run in a month since Oct 18. I no longer feel like I am Two Years Away From Being Two Years Away, but more like coming up on a training cycle that is one away from a meaningful one (Fall 21).
And all we can do is hope this happens amidst a more normal time and we all can then chase down PR's and qualifiers for Boston 23.

Speaking of which, and speaking of what we wear during a run: Not sure if I've ever mentioned that I almost got kicked out of my (conservative, Christian) college for streaking in the late 70s.  Streaking was a fad for a while there, and so I convinced a friend to join me after a morning gym class (=we could lock our clothes safely in the locker room).  We covered our faces and did a loop around/through the middle of campus at 10 a.m. on a Monday (the one day when chapel services weren't being held at that time).  Somehow word got around, and I ended up having to meet with the President.  His first gruff words: "Glad to see you've got your pants on," and it went downhill from there.  He met with my parents, too, and they were none too thrilled about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Speaking of which, and speaking of what we wear during a run: Not sure if I've ever mentioned that I almost got kicked out of my (conservative, Christian) college for streaking in the late 70s.  Streaking was a fad for a while there, and so I convinced a friend to join me after a morning gym class (=we could lock our clothes safely in the locker room).  We covered our faces and did a loop around/through the middle of campus at 10 a.m. on a Monday (the one day when chapel services weren't being held at that time).  Somehow word got around, and I ended up having to meet with the President.  His first gruff words: "Glad to see you've got your pant on," and it went downhill from there.  He met with my parents, too, and they were none too thrilled about it.
I am sorry you got caught. In the mid to late 90's streaking was still a thing and I participated in Mifflin Streak. The year I ran it there was some issue where the runner's couldn't meetup in the usual dorm and somehow my dorm room ended up being the place where everyone meetup pre-streak. Here many more humans (mostly dudes) than should be in a dorm room started their streaking preparations which included disrobing and lubing up with Vaseline (WTF).   Besides the dorm room experience all I remember is that some guys fell in front of me that I had to hurdle, campus police tried hitting runners with there bikes, and I kept running like Forest after scoring a TD well past everyone else. 

Speaking of which, and speaking of what we wear during a run: Not sure if I've ever mentioned that I almost got kicked out of my (conservative, Christian) college for streaking in the late 70s.  Streaking was a fad for a while there, and so I convinced a friend to join me after a morning gym class (=we could lock our clothes safely in the locker room).  We covered our faces and did a loop around/through the middle of campus at 10 a.m. on a Monday (the one day when chapel services weren't being held at that time).  Somehow word got around, and I ended up having to meet with the President.  His first gruff words: "Glad to see you've got your pants on," and it went downhill from there.  He met with my parents, too, and they were none too thrilled about it.
When you aren't a heel striker like the rest of us, of course it's going to be easy to pick you out. Not sure what you were thinking

I am sorry you got caught. In the mid to late 90's streaking was still a thing and I participated in Mifflin Streak. The year I ran it there was some issue where the runner's couldn't meetup in the usual dorm and somehow my dorm room ended up being the place where everyone meetup pre-streak. Here many more humans (mostly dudes) than should be in a dorm room started their streaking preparations which included disrobing and lubing up with Vaseline (WTF).   Besides the dorm room experience all I remember is that some guys fell in front of me that I had to hurdle, campus police tried hitting runners with there bikes, and I kept running like Forest after scoring a TD well past everyone else. 
Kinda like the whole bear thing, when you're streaking, you don't have to be faster than the police. You only have to be faster than the lubed up streaker next to you.

I was - and I wasn't. When we get snow dumped on us a period of cold usually follows and that's why. So combine that with areas in which I may encounter snow build-up for any number of reasons and I over-dress to counter. Extra socks + pants instead of shorts helps absorb that moisture rather than (as much of) it getting to my body. Nothing will send me home early on a run more than cold + wet from the knee, down. And running through calf high snow is not an unusual occurrence around here!
Gotcha.

I think we're on the same page in that when it comes to running in the slush and ice, it's not pleasant but it's definitely good for your running.  Not only does it teach you to perform and persevere in bad conditions, but you quickly learn how to run lightly or else you're going to end up on your posterior.  There have been a number of times during a regular run where I've had an extremely awkward footfall - curb edge, debris I didn't see, etc., that ends up working out okay.   I think running in slippery conditions in winter and shoeless on the sand in the summer have helped prevent me from hurting myself.  Trail running would probably help even more, but that's harder to come by for me.

I was waiting for your various clothing preferences:

67-69 degrees : multiple layers, gloves

70-72 degrees: if no sun, dark colored shirt

73-74 degrees: light colored shirt, no gloves

75-79 degrees: shorter shorts

80-86 degrees: optional shirt

87-90 degrees: optional shorts

91+ degrees: no gloves
I don’t really own shirts either. Doesn’t matter how low the temp goes, I don’t need anything up top. 

This morning was 40F, no wind.  Basically perfect temps (aside from the usual chilly first kilometer).  The moon looked awesome, and for those of you up early enough, Mars is super-bright in the western sky (sets about 0600).  Venus was rising in the eastern sky. It's so cool that you can basically see another planet from our own with the naked eye (yes, I'm easily impressed).

Body felt like running fast(er), so I knocked-out my usual 11km, but this time at a 4:48/km (7:43/mi) pace.  Finish the run, and see that my AHR was 135.  Feel kinda proud of that.  

Then I look at Strava and notice that @Juxtatarot ran about the same distance this morning, in about the same weather, and at about the same pace.  "Hmmm", I think, "I wonder what his AHR is?"

Further :tebow:  to the master.  I'm not worthy.

Last edited by a moderator:
This morning was 40F, no wind.  Basically perfect temps (aside from the usual chilly first kilometer).  The moon looked awesome, and for those of you up early enough, Mars is super-bright in the western sky (sets about 0600).  Venus was rising in the eastern sky. It's so cool that you can basically see another planet from our own with the naked eye (yes, I'm easily impressed).

Body felt like running fast(er), so I knocked-out my usual 11km, but this time at a 4:48/km (7:43/mi) pace.  Finish the run, and see that my AHR was 135.  Feel kinda proud of that.  

Then I look at Strava and notice that @Juxtatarot ran about the same distance this morning, in about the same weather, and at about the same pace.  "Hmmm", I think, "I wonder what his AHR is?"

If my heart rate is at 135 I'm walking.  :lol:

Zasada said:

My AHR when running a 7:43 mile is 180 so we're all about the same

Zasada said:

He just got a new watch.  In reality, it was probably 101. 

He just got a new watch.  In reality, it was probably 101. 
Watches can be so dumb sometimes.  Mine hit me with a "performance condition" score of (-7) and a HR 151 for my first mile this morning.  Realized my watch was a little too close to my wrist bone, so I moved it up my forearm a little bit.  Next three miles were 127/128/135. 

Watches can be so dumb sometimes.  Mine hit me with a "performance condition" score of (-7) and a HR 151 for my first mile this morning.  Realized my watch was a little too close to my wrist bone, so I moved it up my forearm a little bit.  Next three miles were 127/128/135. 
Soooo your HR was higher due to your boner?

Just wait til the little one is born.  Your HR will be stuck on high for months.

Not sure it's the watch that's dumb, unless it put itself on the wrist bone.

Question for you peeps - would there be any interest in doing something like this relay?  I know the Midwest crew pulled off some epicness, and this is a lot closer for some of us East Coasters and looks like a really cool course for history buffs.  I found it a few years ago and tried to drum up support at work, but my running coworkers are lame apparently.  I doubt 2021 goes off, but maybe 2022.

Question for you peeps - would there be any interest in doing something like this relay?  I know the Midwest crew pulled off some epicness, and this is a lot closer for some of us East Coasters and looks like a really cool course for history buffs.  I found it a few years ago and tried to drum up support at work, but my running coworkers are lame apparently.  I doubt 2021 goes off, but maybe 2022.
👍

No. 

My brother lives just across the river in VA.  Perhaps I'd participate and visit him afterwards.

👍👍

Is that @Cowboy Dan guy gonna be there? I don’t care for him much.

I'd be up for 2022.  Looks like fun.

I'd be up for 2021 as well, but it's a ~week before Miwok, and (presuming Miwok even happens), that's my priority for next year.

In life/work/world stuff, that feels like a million years away. In training terms, really soon.

Sounds really cool though...my in-laws are in NoVa too. 

Heading out in a bit with my buddy for a hilly 15-mile trail run. It’ll be slow, but that’s ok; I just wanna get some vert in my legs for the 50K in a couple weeks. I’ll do a shorter, faster trail run on Tuesday or Wednesday.

Temps in the low 30s. Tights, no shorts. Like a real man. 

Gonna head out for a much shorter run than grue's - going to try and keep the heart rate around 140.  Might include some walking.

Time to rebuild the machine and start moving forward again instead of being in this perpetual cycle of barely maintaining anything. 

Heading out in a bit with my buddy for a hilly 15-mile trail run. It’ll be slow, but that’s ok; I just wanna get some vert in my legs for the 50K in a couple weeks. I’ll do a shorter, faster trail run on Tuesday or Wednesday.

Temps in the low 30s. Tights, no shorts. Like a real man. 
Wouldn't a real man just wear shorts?

Keep me in the loop, but I am not making any commitments to anything til probably a year from now. Gotta reschedule our canceled family events first. But hypothetically speaking, should the 21 relay be a go and there is interest from others then I am too.

36 deg, no wind, perfect running weather. Shorts, long sleeve shell over a t and gloves. Gear was spot on, which always makes me happy.

I've settled in to 8:15s being a naturally comfortable but pushed pace for the longer runs. Decided to push the 4ish mile loop around Prospect Park in Brooklyn around midway in the run..felt good to get the breathing more into more of a race rhythm than my usual relaxed pattern. Beautiful morning for all of it.

Decided not to do the citibike to central park thing...too cold on the bike in shorts this morning for that.

Users who are viewing this thread