What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty and Redraft: David Johnson Saints (2 Viewers)

Now that they're free of BOB their sched isn't that scary that they couldn't win 5 of their next 6 or 7.
They're 2-6 and barely beat a Jake Luton led Jags team last week, which is the only team they've beaten so far this year. Currently 14th out of 16 teams in the AFC playoff standings, just lost their starting RB, and their schedule is far from easy the rest of the way- they aren't making the playoffs.

Last edited by a moderator:
When he had that extra gear, no doubt an elite talent. Why so many took him #1 the year he got hurt with the wrist.

Now he is just a guy and his injuries rendered him that way.
Dude is constantly injured and heals incredibly poorly/slowly, what RB ever lost their extra gear after injuring their wrist?

Worth picking up if somebody dropped?

Should be off IR soon. Odd to be on IR for a concussion anyway.
 I dunno, he could be hot garbage, this is his schedule once he returns:

IND

CHI

IND

CIN

YIKES..... that is a brutal 3 game stretch.....CIN should be fine, but that is week 16

Dropped in my league. Looks like there's a good chance he's back.

DJ rank above the usual suspects at RB this week on the wire such Akers, B. Hill and other hot garbage?

DAVID JOHNSONRB, HOUSTON TEXANS

David Johnson (concussion, injured reserve) is eligible to return for Week 13 against the Colts. 

Interim coach Romeo Crennel is apparently "hopeful" it will happen. It is not a guarantee we will get an update Wednesday, as the Texans do not have to list the practice status for players who are on injured reserve. We should get word from the assembled media, however, on whether or not Johnson takes part. Duke Johnson has failed to run with starting duties during David's absence. David would be returning to low-end RB2 status. 

SOURCE: The Athletic

Dec 1, 2020, 5:55 PM ET

Texans interim coach Romeo Crennel said "there's a possibility" David Johnson (personal) could miss Week 14 against Chicago.

Johnson missed practice Friday and is away from the team for a personal issue. There's a chance he doesn't travel to Chicago, leaving Duke Johnson to handle an every-down role. Johnson just returned from a three-game concussion absence last week. Playing against a defense that's allowed only nine rushing touchdowns, Houston's Week 14 backfield should be avoided for the fantasy playoffs.

SOURCE: Houston Chronicle

Dec 11, 2020, 11:37 AM ET

Just put on the COVID list.
Rotoworld:

Texans placed David Johnson on the reserve/COVID-19 list. 

Fantasy managers who planned on rolling with Johnson in Week 14 against Chicago will have to look elsewhere. Johnson, who rushed 10 times for 44 yards and a touchdown last week against the Colts, will miss another game, opening up snaps and carries for Duke Johnson. Fantasy managers should consider Duke Johnson a low-end RB play in PPR formats against the Bears. He should see at least some of the team's high value touches with David Johnson out. 

RELATED: 

Duke Johnson

SOURCE: Houston Texans on Twitter 

Dec 11, 2020, 4:02 PM ET

Texans head coach Romeo Crennel said he expected David Johnson back from the reserve/COVID-19 list this week. 

Johnson was considered a close contact of someone who tested positive for the virus. He missed Week 14 against the Bears, as Duke Johnson handled ten touches in a blowout loss. Duke Johnson should be dropped in most formats if David Johnson is back for Week 15 against the Colts. Neither back has much upside in the flaming rubble of the Texans offense. 

RELATED: 

Duke Johnson

SOURCE: Aaron Wilson on Twitter 

Dec 14, 2020, 11:42 AM ET

Texans activated RB David Johnson from the reserve/COVID-19 list.

Coach Romeo Crennel said he expected Johnson to be activated after sitting out Week 14. Johnson will return to lead the Texans' backfield, but his ceiling is capped in a pass heavy offense that projects to be playing from behind. Johnson shouldn't be in lineups for the fantasy semifinals.

Dec 16, 2020, 5:10 PM ET

I hear this, but I have to think he'll be ready to go.  Very rested, and a good pass-catcher out of the backfield.  I would expect DJ to be a nice outlet for Watson to help control the pass-rush.  What am I missing here?  Is Buckner still out for IND?  That could open up some running lanes.  

Even two weeks ago when they played IND without DJ, it was a 20-26 ball game.  I don't understand the "pass-heavy" comment.  They were pass-heavy last week mainly b/c Duke couldn't run the ball.  They also had one WR and a bunch of JAGs helping him.  If Cooks is back and DJ at 100%, I'd think this would be a better game this week.

I hear this, but I have to think he'll be ready to go.  Very rested, and a good pass-catcher out of the backfield.  I would expect DJ to be a nice outlet for Watson to help control the pass-rush.  
What is baffling is that despite DJ's pass-catching prowess, they don't use him that much in the passing game. Seems like they use Duke more there.

I hear this, but I have to think he'll be ready to go.  Very rested, and a good pass-catcher out of the backfield.  I would expect DJ to be a nice outlet for Watson to help control the pass-rush.  What am I missing here?  Is Buckner still out for IND?  That could open up some running lanes.  

Even two weeks ago when they played IND without DJ, it was a 20-26 ball game.  I don't understand the "pass-heavy" comment.  They were pass-heavy last week mainly b/c Duke couldn't run the ball.  They also had one WR and a bunch of JAGs helping him.  If Cooks is back and DJ at 100%, I'd think this would be a better game this week.
They were pass heavy in that game vs. Indy 2 weeks ago as well, Watson had 38 pass attempts vs. 19 team rushing attempts (10 from DJ, 7 from Watson). Yes, DJ is a very good pass catcher, but they don't really utilize him much for whatever reason (0 catches on 2 targets in that game).

David Johnson said he expects to be "fully in" this week against the Colts. 

He's in. Johnson missed Week 14 because he was a close contact of someone who had tested positive for COVID-19. He still lead the Texans in total opportunity (rushing attempts plus targets) and profiles as a high-end RB3 based on volume alone this week against the Colts. He gets enough pass game involvement to stay afloat in PPR formats. Duke Johnson fades back to fantasy irrelevance. 

RELATED: 

Duke Johnson

SOURCE: Sarah Barshop on Twttier 

Dec 17, 2020, 4:11 PM ET

Peak said:

Buckner is listed as questionable and was listed as limited in practice today. 

David Johnson rushed eight times for 27 yards in the Texans' Week 15 loss to the Colts, adding 11 receptions for 106 additional yards. 

100-yard rushing days have become a pipe dream for 29-year-old Johnson, but with Duke Johnson sidelined, David randomly revived to lead the Texans in receiving. He notched 26- and 31-yard grabs for two of the Texans' biggest plays of the day. Huge for this week, but not a bankable formula going forward. Johnson entered Week 15 having caught more than two passes twice. The Bengals, of course, are a plus matchup, one that will keep Johnson in the low-end RB2 mix for the fantasy finals. 

Dec 20, 2020, 5:17 PM ET

Duke Johnson remained out with his neck injury during Wednesday's practice.

It is the same injury that kept Duke out for Week 15 and allowed David Johnson to dominate touches, including over 10 targets against the Colts. Without Duke on the field, David will likely be viewed as a RB2 against the Bengals.

Dec 23, 2020, 9:35 PM ET

David Johnson rushed 12 times for 128 yards and a touchdown in Week 16 against the Bengals, catching 3 passes for 11 yards and another touchdown.

Johnson had just 19 yards on the first six drives. He got 100 yards on back-to-back drives in the third quarter. This was the first 100-yard rushing game for Johnson, who's missed four games to injury and struggled when healthy. Johnson will try to close out the regular season on a high note against the Titans in Week 17.

- Rotoworld

Good for DJ finishing the season strong in what will probably be his final games as a starting RB (barring injury).
I wouldn't say that.  Time-sharing position, sure, since very few teams have one bellcow.  But he'll likely get a strong role somewhere.

I wouldn't say that.  Time-sharing position, sure, since very few teams have one bellcow.  But he'll likely get a strong role somewhere.
Fair point - he could settle into an RBBC situation for the rest of his career, but seems clear his bellcow days are a thing of the past.

James Robinson out so in goes David Johnson and man he hasn’t helped me very much since I traded for him last year (right before he got hurt) but he may have just won me my championship so all is forgotten

I've tried so hard to trade him all season, and he came up huge the last 2 weeks.  

He's been a different guy since he's been back.  And a lot of that may be how they're using him and matchups.  

Hoping to flip him this off-season.

David Johnson rushed 14 times for 84 yards and a touchdown in the Texans' Week 17 loss to the Titans, adding three receptions for 36 additional yards. 

29-year-old Johnson managed to save a little face after his November and December health (concussion, COVID-19) issues, averaging 131 yards from scrimmage over his final three contests. It was too little, too late for both the Texans and fantasy managers, but Johnson had noticeably more juice in his legs after a listless September-November. Johnson ended up finding the end zone eight times in 12 games, averaging a career-best 4.7 yards per carry. He nevertheless failed to reach 1,000 yards rushing for the fourth consecutive season.  The man who acquired Johnson is gone, while cutting him loose with free up $6.9 million in cap space. Duke Johnson is a more likely cut than David, but David's chances of returning are not assured for this rebuilding franchise. 

- Rotoworld

I've tried so hard to trade him all season, and he came up huge the last 2 weeks.  

He's been a different guy since he's been back.  And a lot of that may be how they're using him and matchups.  

Hoping to flip him this off-season.
Potentially a mid-round steal in redraft next year.

Houston Chronicle's Aaron Wilson reports the Texans want to keep David Johnson for 2021 but at a lower salary.

Johnson is set to make $8.5 million in 2021, but the Texans can save $6.4 million against the cap by releasing him. If D.J. became a free agent, he certainly wouldn't sign for more than the $8.5 million he's scheduled to make, so it makes sense for the two parties to agree to a paycut and enter the season as the unquestioned starter. Assuming Johnson returns, he'll have RB2 appeal if Deshaun Watson stays and doesn't sit out. If Watson is traded or sits out, Johnson will struggle for top-24 production. He's a classic boom-bust RB2/3 in early fantasy drafts with Duke Johnson out of the way. The Texans' first pick in the 2021 NFL Draft isn't until Round 3, so Johnson is unlikely to face rookie competition next year. It all comes down to Watson's situation.

SOURCE: Aaron Wilson on Twitter

Feb 26, 2021, 6:37 PM ET

David Johnson has agreed to a restructured contract for 2021. 

Originally due $7.95 million, Johnson has reduced his base contract but agreed to an increase in guaranteed money. He will bring home $4.25 million, with another $1.75 million possible through incentives. It's not a bad deal for a 29-year-old back who mostly struggled last season before finishing stronger down the stretch. With Duke Johnson all but certain to walk in free agency, David could have a more locked-in three-down role in 2021. The next question becomes who will be his quarterback. Johnson should be regarded as a low-end RB2 in early-spring fantasy drafts. The ceiling just isn't there anymore. 

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter 

Mar 2, 2021, 3:04 PM ET

The signing of Mark Ingram destroys any sleeper RB2 value Johnson was holding onto. Now with DeShaun Watson not being around a fait accompli. if Texans somehow manage to get a good QB back being a 1A in a committee should bury him in the 6th round at best.

The signing of Mark Ingram destroys any sleeper RB2 value Johnson was holding onto. Now with DeShaun Watson not being around a fait accompli. if Texans somehow manage to get a good QB back being a 1A in a committee should bury him in the 6th round at best.
As an Ingram dynasty owner who’s been able to squeeze value out of him looooong past his expiration date, this is about the best possible landing spot. Behind an oft-injured DaJohnson. 

I’d humbly suggest the one with sleeper value here is Ingram since he can be had in the last round of a redraft & has a great chance at a starting role for x # of games. 

As an Ingram dynasty owner who’s been able to squeeze value out of him looooong past his expiration date, this is about the best possible landing spot. Behind an oft-injured DaJohnson. 

I’d humbly suggest the one with sleeper value here is Ingram since he can be had in the last round of a redraft & has a great chance at a starting role for x # of games. 
They kept Kelly as OC to call plays for the offense, so honestly Ingram is a much better fit for that offense than DaJohnson ever was. BOB's offense which is what Kelly still runs is a between the tackles, ground and pound as far as the RB goes. Even when he was young DJ was a phenomenal receiver but a below avg between the tackles runner. Trading for DaJohnson was and still is a bizarre fit for the Texans.

I gotta think DJ is going to fall much further than that unless they turn Watson into a haul and make some smart moves. I'll take the under for now. I did a best ball last week he went 8.01 so with Ingram there I imagine he falls to like the 10th. I might very well take him there in drafts where I need RBs. And then hope I never start him.

They kept Kelly as OC to call plays for the offense, so honestly Ingram is a much better fit for that offense than DaJohnson ever was. BOB's offense which is what Kelly still runs is a between the tackles, ground and pound as far as the RB goes. Even when he was young DJ was a phenomenal receiver but a below avg between the tackles runner. Trading for DaJohnson was and still is a bizarre fit for the Texans.
Not just that they traded for him, but somehow thought he’d be better for the team/offense than Hopkins. Especially when RBs can be had so inexpensively. If they kept Hopkins & traded picks to Baltimore for a Mark Ingram they weren’t using, I’d be willing to bet their RB production would have been as good or better than it was with DaJohnson. 

Honestly that trade would get laughed off of the “what’s the worst dynasty trade you’ve ever been offered” topic, and that’s magical foozeball! A real life GM made that deal and I- 

:doh:  

Not just that they traded for him, but somehow thought he’d be better for the team/offense than Hopkins. Especially when RBs can be had so inexpensively. If they kept Hopkins & traded picks to Baltimore for a Mark Ingram they weren’t using, I’d be willing to bet their RB production would have been as good or better than it was with DaJohnson. 

Honestly that trade would get laughed off of the “what’s the worst dynasty trade you’ve ever been offered” topic, and that’s magical foozeball! A real life GM made that deal and I- 

But, but, but - you forgot to mention that they got a second round pick too!!

Hot Sauce Guy said:

The Hopkins part was so self-evident I didn’t think it was worth mentioning again. They’ve been rightfully butchered for it but I guess you’re right, they should continue to be until Easterby is gone.

Edit: it’s such a bizarre trade. It’s like Arizona said “oh well, we’ll take that guy Hopkins you don’t like, but you’ll have to take this way overpaid RB that doesn’t fit your scheme at all off our hands too.” And BOB was like “OK!”

Buckna said:
Especially when you consider they already had Duke Johnson and didnt want to use him either.

Translation:  “I know I’m on the back nine of my career, so when I get overtaken this lets me save some face.”
Neither of those guys are 75% of Johnson when he's healthy, and Ingram is two years older.
Granted, DJ played well down the stretch but I see Lindsay taking over the backfield at some point. Ingram is indeed probably running even more on fumes at this point.

DAVID JOHNSON RB, HOUSTON TEXANS

Texans offensive coordinator Tim Kelly said he has to do "a better job calling more runs" in 2021.

Kelly and head coach David Culley bemoaned the Texans finishing 31st in rush attempts and rushing yards last season, saying it would be an emphasis this season to establish the run whenever possible. That could prove difficult when Houston finds itself down multiple scores in the second half of nearly every game. "Going back and looking at it, I've got to do a good job calling more runs and letting our backs and our line get into a rhythm and get into a groove as far as how that game's being played out up front," Kelly said. "Each year you go into the offseason looking at different schematic ways and personnel ways that you can improve, and we feel like we've done that." Ostensibly led by David Johnson, Houston's backfield is crowded. Phillip Lindsay, Mark Ingram, and Rex Burkhead are likely to see work at some point in 2021. Becoming a target hog is the only path any Texans running back has to every-week fantasy viability.

RELATED: 

Rex Burkhead

, Phillip Lindsay

, Mark Ingram

SOURCE: HoustonTexans.com 

Jun 12, 2021, 2:22 PM ET

Heard a podcast this week that described the Texans 2021 backfield as populated by the old (Ingram), the tired (DJ), the decrepit (Burkhead) and the worthless (Lindsey.)

About the only debate is whether they’re the worst RB group in the league, but looking the Jets roster, probably not.

Heard a podcast this week that described the Texans 2021 backfield as populated by the old (Ingram), the tired (DJ), the decrepit (Burkhead) and the worthless (Lindsey.)

About the only debate is whether they’re the worst RB group in the league, but looking the Jets roster, probably not.
Not even close to the worst in the NFL. At least 5 teams are worse. 

Johnson was quietly pretty solid last year, and is likely the centerpiece of the offense if Watson is gone/suspended. He's a useful RB3 in my opinion. I doubt Ingram and Burkhead are real threats preventing Johnson from 200+ touches. Maybe Lindsay is, but he's somewhat proven he wears down pretty quickly, and is best used as a change of pace.

Users who are viewing this thread