What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty and Redraft: David Johnson Saints (2 Viewers)

Hollywood couldn't script a better start to a career but just slow your rolls. He is still obviously learning his job (the whole job) and is going to be a role player for a little while longer. Personally I hope he picks up the non glamorous roles of being a RB in a hurry because he is fun to watch.

I love the guy and own him everywhere. Never changed the fact that a single touch at the end of a game that was already over was meaningless. :shrug:
:lmao:

It was a 1 score game at the time, it sealed the win for them. Far from meaningless.
OMG this. It made the game a two score game basically ending the contest. Anybody that knows anything about football knows that. If he fumbles or they go three and out the other team gets the ball and could tie or win the game.

I love the guy and own him everywhere. Never changed the fact that a single touch at the end of a game that was already over was meaningless. :shrug:

It was a 1 score game at the time, it sealed the win for them. Far from meaningless.
huh, i could have sworn the catch was at the end (like the end the end) of the game. oops if i am not recalling correctly. :shrug:

Last edited by a moderator:

huh, i could have sworn the catch was at the end (like the end the end) of the game. oops if i am not recalling correctly. :shrug:
Nope.. seems I recalled correctly:

1:33 2nd & 8, ARI45 Carson Palmer
passed to David Johnson
to the right for 55 yard touchdown. Chandler Catanzaro
made PAT

1:33 2nd & 8, ARI45Carson Palmer
passed to David Johnson
made PAT

passed to David Johnson
made PAT
OMG you can't be this dense.

passed to David Johnson
made PAT
Up 5 93 seconds left, 2nd down.

Something really stupid would have to be done to lose it here. Really all he could have done to change the outcome here is fumble. :shrug:

This seems a worthwhile thing to argue. I'm down.

passed to David Johnson
made PAT

Something really stupid would have to be done to lose it here. Really all he could have done to change the outcome here is fumble. :shrug:

So if they go 3 an out there how much does Arizona's win equity go down? After you answer that how much did Arizona's win equity go up after he scored that 55 yard TD? It was a huge spot to put a rookie. Something bad like losing yards or turning the ball over could have changed the outcome of the game. Instead DJ gave the Saints a giant kick in the nuts. Sorry but you're as wrong as could be it was a high leverage spot in the game.

passed to David Johnson
made PAT

So if they go 3 an out there how much does Arizona's win equity go down? After you answer that how much did Arizona's win equity go up after he scored that 55 yard TD? It was a huge spot to put a rookie. Something bad like losing yards or turning the ball over could have changed the outcome of the game. Instead DJ gave the Saints a giant kick in the nuts. Sorry but you're as wrong as could be it was a high leverage spot in the game.
You are right, as mentioned, he managed not to lose the game that was otherwise over.

I'm not sure if you're trying to out-####### yourself with every post but you're doing a fair job sir.

Hollywood couldn't script a better start to a career but just slow your rolls. He is still obviously learning his job (the whole job) and is going to be a role player for a little while longer. Personally I hope he picks up the non glamorous roles of being a RB in a hurry because he is fun to watch.
This is probably the most rational way to look at it. DJ has obviously done some great things with limited touches, but doesn't mean he's ready to be an all-purpose back from a real football standpoint.

I don't think CJ did anything to put himself on the bench - and the team won big - so expect more of the same in terms of touch breakdown with maybe DJ getting a bit more each week.

Bottom line, this guy needs to start playing more regularly on early downs. You want to say he's not ready to do the things the 3rd down guy needs to do that's fine, but he's better than Chris Johnson and belongs on the field more than him on the early downs.

(RotoWire)Johnson returned the opening kickoff 108 yards for a touchdown and then rushed five times for 42 yards and another score during Sunday's win over the Bears. He also caught one pass on two targets for three receiving yards.Analysis: Johnson was expected to get an increase in playing time with Andre Ellington out with a knee injury, but it was Chris Johnson who got the start, rushing 20 times for 72 yards. Cardinals head coach Bruce Arians said earlier this week that he didn't believe the rookie would be able to hand a full workload yet, but after Sunday's performance there has to be at least some consideration that he may be able to. With Ellington possibly missing two more games, David Johnson's touches could increase next week against the 49ers.

Johnson certainly looks legit but as I've said in this thread earlier despite his success I doubt much will change in his usage in the near term. Arians will do things his way and will bring the rookie along slowly. He'll likely use him a bit more but he will rely on Chris Johnson and then Ellington when he returns. From Arians POV he's winning games handily and getting big plays from Johnson while bringing him along slowly. If it ain't broke don't fix it. I know it's not what fantasy owners want to hear but many of us have lived it with this coach and he does things his way.

From a dynasty perspective the kid looks like gold.

No one should expect him to step right in and get 20+ touches per game, but it doesn't take much of an imagination at all to come up with a way to get him 10-12. He went from 1 touch in week 1 to 6 in week 2, let's see if he can get double-digits next week.

Johnson certainly looks legit but as I've said in this thread earlier despite his success I doubt much will change in his usage in the near term. Arians will do things his way and will bring the rookie along slowly. He'll likely use him a bit more but he will rely on Chris Johnson and then Ellington when he returns. From Arians POV he's winning games handily and getting big plays from Johnson while bringing him along slowly. If it ain't broke don't fix it. I know it's not what fantasy owners want to hear but many of us have lived it with this coach and he does things his way.

From a dynasty perspective the kid looks like gold.
This makes sense.....injuries could thrust him into more of a roll.....but barring, that keep him fresh and keep rollin.....it's a long season

I As big follower of this team, I suspect it to be a rbbc most the season with DJ getting the bulk down the late stretch. Cardinals have a solid D so he could see a decent amount of touches.

I get that they're winning, but he's played a big part in this last win. There's simply no reason to not give him 10 touches per game at the bare minimum from here on out. I apologize in advance if this statement offends the "Ellington/CJ0K are way better blockers" crowd.

DJ is already headed for the HOF.

Or at least his jersey and shoes will be there.

http://espn.go.com/blog/arizona-cardinals/post/_/id/16304/david-johnsons-jersey-from-historic-game-headed-to-hof

3 TDs in his first 5 NFL touches, in 3 different ways (rush, receive, return).
-first career reception: 55 yd TD-first career kickoff return: 108 yd TD

-first third career rush: 13 yd TD

He goes untouched on the 55 yard reception and kickoff return, and barely gets a hand on the ankle on the rush. How is that possible? Speed? Blocking? This kid is going to be fun to watch.

Yea I have stanky in dynasty, so I almost took corn on the Cobb in the 2nd......so glad I stuck with my gut and took DJ

As much as I like this guy, (and trust me I am as high on him as I have ever been on most anyone, taking into account where his development is at this point) I don't know if I am quite ready to pull the trigger on him in a standard league just yet.

I really think we are one good showing away from a real breakout or massive workload.

The articles seem to state "his workload is growing", "he will be worked in slowly" etc. etc. but as I alluded to before, one simply HAS to take notice of what he has done.

The coaching will ultimately have to take the big chance at some point, if he keeps on being as electrifying as he has been thus far.

I think he will get some more work this coming week, and all owners just pray for one more big game or at the minimum a solid showing.

Then I will be more ready to pull the trigger and start him in my standard leagues.

Overall, this season has been almost a bit of a bore for me this year so far, with some really ugly moments to boot.

But this kid has been the one thing that is firing me up the most, and I'm eager to see him go.

You gotta think that sooner or later its going to be the David Johnson show, if this keeps up........ and Ellington as the 3rd down C-O-P back which (as high as I am on Ellington) it *may* well be the role he is best suited for.

I am hoping for one more good showing before I am ready to start this guy with confidence.

We REALLY need this to happen while Ellington is on the mend.

TZM

As much as I like this guy, (and trust me I am as high on him as I have ever been on most anyone, taking into account where his development is at this point) I don't know if I am quite ready to pull the trigger on him in a standard league just yet.

I really think we are one good showing away from a real breakout or massive workload.

The articles seem to state "his workload is growing", "he will be worked in slowly" etc. etc. but as I alluded to before, one simply HAS to take notice of what he has done.

The coaching will ultimately have to take the big chance at some point, if he keeps on being as electrifying as he has been thus far.

I think he will get some more work this coming week, and all owners just pray for one more big game or at the minimum a solid showing.

Then I will be more ready to pull the trigger and start him in my standard leagues.

Overall, this season has been almost a bit of a bore for me this year so far, with some really ugly moments to boot.

But this kid has been the one thing that is firing me up the most, and I'm eager to see him go.

You gotta think that sooner or later its going to be the David Johnson show, if this keeps up........ and Ellington as the 3rd down C-O-P back which (as high as I am on Ellington) it *may* well be the role he is best suited for.

I am hoping for one more good showing before I am ready to start this guy with confidence.

TZM
Well that got to give him the rock. 15 touches this weekend and watch what happens.

TZM
Well that got to give him the rock. 15 touches this weekend and watch what happens.
9 TDs

TZM
Do you really think he sees 15 touches this weekend? I am almost tempted to start him.

TZM
Do you really think he sees 15 touches this weekend? I am almost tempted to start him.
Yeah, because of the opponent. I think he sees 15.

I wouldn't suggest you start him but tf you were going to seriously consider starting him for any game so-far it would have to be this week for a few reasons.

- David Johnson has looked great

- Arians has conceded he will use him more and RB

- Andre Ellington is still OUT

- RB Chris Johnson, although a safe and sure veteran hasn't really stood out

Adding to the speculation.....not sure if this is the week, but cj2k is now JAG, and Ellington can't stay on the field......DJ has already shown how explosive he is.....it's only a matter of time....I keep seeing speculation of mid season he takes over.....sounds good to me. If Ellington is healthy i could see a pretty even split, or Ellington getting like 60/40....which would be fine for DJ, he doesn't need a high volume at this point to have value......

Just gonna leave this here....

Most Touchdowns, Rookie, Season

18 Eric Dickerson, L.A. Rams, 1983

15 Ickey Woods, Cincinnati, 1988
Mike Anderson, Denver, 2000

Clinton Portis, Denver, 2002

14 Gale Sayers, Chicago, 1965
Barry Sanders, Detroit, 1989
Curtis Martin, New England, 1995
Fred Taylor, Jacksonville, 1998
Of course I'm kidding. Are you drunk?

Adding to the speculation.....not sure if this is the week, but cj2k is now JAG, and Ellington can't stay on the field......DJ has already shown how explosive he is.....it's only a matter of time....I keep seeing speculation of mid season he takes over.....sounds good to me. If Ellington is healthy i could see a pretty even split, or Ellington getting like 60/40....which would be fine for DJ, he doesn't need a high volume at this point to have value......
As has been stated, Mendenhall was JAG also, but only gave Ellington limited touches in his rookie year. Granted, DJ is better built to be an all-purpose back, but it seems from his comments and actions, that Arians trusts his veterans. If the team keeps winning despite mediocre numbers from CJ, that alone won't be enough to give DJ a bigger role.

Users who are viewing this thread