What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB/WR Ty Montgomery, NE (3 Viewers)

Monty with the start and looks good. Gets a GL TD.

Rest of this game is going to be very interesting for Montys ROS outlook.

An effective lead back in this offense could take your team to the next level.

I don't know why it took this long for McCarthy to figure it out. gb looks better when Monty is involved. 

had a pm from someone earlier this week about him... hope he started him (not naming any names). I almost picked him back up last night. almost. regretting it. went with my defense for next week instead 

What are you guys thinking this week?

I think there's a solid chance Monty finally leads this backfield in touches ROS.
He's a gamble, but I'm considering over lots of mediocre options (i.e M. Ingram @AZ, T. Pryor @BUF) and due to injuries to Julio/Moncrief.

I don't think he will ever get a high # of carries. His YPC is good so you can gamble on him as a flex but I would not be excited about starting him. The fullback Ripkowski gets goalline carries.

What are you guys thinking this week?

I think there's a solid chance Monty finally leads this backfield in touches ROS.
As much as I wish McCarthy would have finally realized that the offense has looked the best in games that Montgomery is a focal point, I think this last game is an anomaly and we will see a lot of the same old same old.

What works to owners' advantage is Rodgers is a little banged up so McCarthy will have a tougher time relying on him to win games, so he needs to use his RBs more. Monty is by far the most efficient RB they have. I just think McCarthy will screw this up somehow.

almost picked him up right before the week started. I had a feeling. An hour later a guy swooped in to grab him after me, presumably to keep him for next season should he emerge as a legitimate threat at RB (He won't. It'll be Lacy or a rookie at RB next year IMO). Would be a nice option to have as my RB2 leaves a little to be desired these days. 

Saw a stat on Twitter that Montgomery has been the best pass blocking RB in the league in his 23 attempts. Zero sacks, hits, hurries, pressures. Zilch. 

Combined with his receiving ability, his efficiency as a runner, and Rodger's trust I wonder if he WILL keep a role going into next year, assuming the Packers don't draft one of the few 3 down studs coming out and instead draft a 2-down pounder (assuming they let Lacy walk).

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think he will ever get a high # of carries. His YPC is good so you can gamble on him as a flex but I would not be excited about starting him. The fullback Ripkowski gets goalline carries.
Tbf Monty did punch one in at the GL last game.

I do agree with everyone that he's certainly a gamble, but still an interesting flex consideration this week.

If McCarthy or the OC comes out this week and says he's getting more touches he'll prob be in my lineup. Of course trusting them is a gamble too, but I think he could have a big ceiling if he's feature back.

Saw a state on Twitter that Montgomery has been the best pass blocking RB in the league in his 23 attempts. Zero sacks, hits, hurries, pressures. Zilch. 

Combined with his receiving ability, his efficiency as a runner, and Rodger's trust I wonder if he WILL keep a role going into next year, assuming the Packers don't draft one of the few 3 down studs coming out and instead draft a 2-down pounder (assuming they let Lacy walk).
He may, I just don't trust it. If they bring Lacy back (which I think is a very good likelihood), then Lacy would be the feature back unquestionably unless he porks out again. If he's not resigned then Montgomery would have an entire offseason to train like a RB and compete with a 1st-2nd round pick I would presume

He may, I just don't trust it. If they bring Lacy back (which I think is a very good likelihood), then Lacy would be the feature back unquestionably unless he porks out again. If he's not resigned then Montgomery would have an entire offseason to train like a RB and compete with a 1st-2nd round pick I would presume
Will be a fascinating offseason storyline for sure... I never got the impression they loved Lacy that much. 

As much as I wish McCarthy would have finally realized that the offense has looked the best in games that Montgomery is a focal point, I think this last game is an anomaly and we will see a lot of the same old same old.

What works to owners' advantage is Rodgers is a little banged up so McCarthy will have a tougher time relying on him to win games, so he needs to use his RBs more. Monty is by far the most efficient RB they have. I just think McCarthy will screw this up somehow.

almost picked him up right before the week started. I had a feeling. An hour later a guy swooped in to grab him after me, presumably to keep him for next season should he emerge as a legitimate threat at RB (He won't. It'll be Lacy or a rookie at RB next year IMO). Would be a nice option to have as my RB2 leaves a little to be desired these days. 
McCarthy graduated with honors along with Sean Payton from the college for ####### coaches. They both aced 'The RB with highest ypc is not your best RB'.

Will be a fascinating offseason storyline for sure... I never got the impression they loved Lacy that much. 

The same year they took Lacy in the 2nd, they tried to draft a complementary RB in the 4th, everyone's (at the time) favorite sleeper RB Johnathon Franklin. Montgomery can fill that role even if they do keep Lacy (I don't see why they would--they can let him go, not pay him a FA contract, potentially get a future compensatory pick out of it, and draft a younger, cheaper, less fat and potentially more talented replacement)

Someone on another forum mentioned that frigid temperatures can affect sickle cell trait?

Is this true? I know elevation can, but I don't recall ever hearing / seeing anything about cold weather.

Someone on another forum mentioned that frigid temperatures can affect sickle cell trait?

Is this true? I know elevation can, but I don't recall ever hearing / seeing anything about cold weather.
The internet told me it was true:  Cold can be a trigger of sickle cell crises, because when you are cold, your body goes into a protective mode, and shunts blood from your non-essential body parts to your important organs. This process is done through vasoconstriction, which means your blood vessels become narrower. This means that sickled cells now have a great opportunity to clog up the narrow blood circulatory pathway.

Actually sounds kind of scary. Is this what is happening with John Brown? I don't mean the cold, but is sickle cell clogging up blood flow to his leg?

I really believe, unlike most of you, the major thing that has been holding Monty back these past few weeks is not McCarthy but the sickle cell issue. They keep that under control and I think he's here to stay as a useful fantasy weapon, someone with a Theo Riddick type floor(if Abdullah was healthy) and more upside.

The internet told me it was true:  Cold can be a trigger of sickle cell crises, because when you are cold, your body goes into a protective mode, and shunts blood from your non-essential body parts to your important organs. This process is done through vasoconstriction, which means your blood vessels become narrower. This means that sickled cells now have a great opportunity to clog up the narrow blood circulatory pathway.

Actually sounds kind of scary. Is this what is happening with John Brown? I don't mean the cold, but is sickle cell clogging up blood flow to his leg?

I really believe, unlike most of you, the major thing that has been holding Monty back these past few weeks is not McCarthy but the sickle cell issue. They keep that under control and I think he's here to stay as a useful fantasy weapon, someone with a Theo Riddick type floor(if Abdullah was healthy) and more upside.
this is exactly true. since sickle cell red blood cells are shaped "funny" they don't fit through the constricted blood vessels as well. he could be gassed easier and may get injured easier.

his sickle cell is one reason I just never see him being a bell cow. I'd like to see it but I'm just not sure it'll happen 

Any chance fantasy sites change him to RB only at the last minute if GB changes their official depth chart?  The unofficial has him at #2 RB.  Is this new?

Any chance fantasy sites change him to RB only at the last minute if GB changes their official depth chart?  The unofficial has him at #2 RB.  Is this new?
For Yahoo my understanding is if they changed him to RB on the depth chart that he would remain WR/RB. I believe no sites take away eligibility, only add to it. 

week 15, GB isn't adjusting their official depth chart. Montgomery hasn't been at a WR meeting for 2 months I believe, not likely to change on the depth chart now. 

I believe no sites take away eligibility, only add to it. 

week 15, GB isn't adjusting their official depth chart. Montgomery hasn't been at a WR meeting for 2 months I believe, not likely to change on the depth chart now. 
If I recall correctly, this happened to  Colston years ago.  He was carried on depth chart as WR/TE and then changed to WR only.  Fantasy sites followed suit.

If I recall correctly, this happened to  Colston years ago.  He was carried on depth chart as WR/TE and then changed to WR only.  Fantasy sites followed suit.
I actually remember the opposite. He was TE/WR fantasy eligible his entire rookie season in spite of being listed as a WR. I was envious of his owner... cashing in on WR stats for the TE category. The following season he was a WR only in fantasy

I actually remember the opposite. He was TE/WR fantasy eligible his entire rookie season in spite of being listed as a WR. I was envious of his owner... cashing in on WR stats for the TE category. The following season he was a WR only in fantasy
Ok, I guess I had it backwards.  I was just curious about Montgomery because my opponent has him and didnt know if the depth chart change was new this week or not. 

Ok, I guess I had it backwards.  I was just curious about Montgomery because my opponent has him and didnt know if the depth chart change was new this week or not. 
I haven't looked at the depth chart until now, and you're right he is listed as a RB. Depends on what site you use. This is Yahoo's policy:

Players won't lose position eligibility when moving from one position to another. If a RB moves to WR during the season, he'll be eligible for the remainder of the season at both RB and WR.
https://help.yahoo.com/kb/fantasy-football/SLN6318.html?impressions=true

I haven't looked at the depth chart until now, and you're right he is listed as a RB. Depends on what site you use. This is Yahoo's policy:

https://help.yahoo.com/kb/fantasy-football/SLN6318.html?impressions=true
Cool, that helps.  I checked ESPN and its the same.

ADDITIONAL POSITION ELIGIBILITY
While a player cannot lose eligibility during the season, he can gain it, whenever circumstances warrant. Commissioners/league managers (LM) do not have the ability to modify a player's position eligibility.

It's important to note that the roster minimums and maximums within your league's settings relate to the primary position only (the first position listed next to a player), not any additional positions granted.

this is exactly true. since sickle cell red blood cells are shaped "funny" they don't fit through the constricted blood vessels as well. he could be gassed easier and may get injured easier.

his sickle cell is one reason I just never see him being a bell cow. I'd like to see it but I'm just not sure it'll happen 
Is there reason to think/assume GB will not use him as much this week b/c of the cold?

It wasn't warm last Sunday, but temps in the teens isn't the same as single digits/sub-zero.

Dr. Brew said:
 I think a Lacy/Montgomery duo would be a decent start to this backfield.  I think that affords them the opportunity to not spend a high draft pick on the position...move on from Starks...and add a younger talented back somewhere.  No way they go vet as those 2 would be a solid duo.

James Starks in concussion protocol due to a car accident. 

Green Bay's banged-up backfield has been hit with another setback.

Packers coach Mike McCarthy told reporters Thursday that veteran runner James Starks is currently mired in the league's concussion protocol after his involvement in a car accident on Monday, per the team's official Twitter feed.

McCarthy emphasized that Starks is "OK," but his status for Sunday's showdown with the Chicago Bears is obviously up in the air.

Starks, 30, has led Green Bay's backfield in plays (31) and touches per tilt (9.1) since starter Eddie Lacy was lost to a season-ending ankle injury. More recently, though, ex-Seahawks back Christine Michael and receiver-turned-runner Ty Montgomery have carried the load, with the duo combining for 77 yards off 19 attempts in last Sunday's win over Seattle. Starks carried the ball just twice.

McCarthy went on to say Thursday that Montgomery could see up to 20 attempts against the Bears if the game script required it, noting, per the Green Bay Press Gazette: "He can get to that number if he had to."

The injury drains Green Bay's depth, but Starks is far from workhorse material of late. If anything, the door is wide open for Michael -- and even Montgomery -- to take the job for good.

James Starks in concussion protocol due to a car accident. 
I saw this earlier and was contemplating picking him up. I dropped him a few weeks ago and I guess the rest of my league doesn't feel that he's going to be utilized the way he should. I'm tempted to pick him up and start him over Cooper who doesn't have as strong a matchup as one would think. But I've been down this road before. McCarthy and the Packers gameplans aren't exactly rocket science. They can't even use their players correctly.

I think a Lacy/Montgomery duo would be a decent start to this backfield.  I think that affords them the opportunity to not spend a high draft pick on the position...move on from Starks...and add a younger talented back somewhere.  No way they go vet as those 2 would be a solid duo.
Can totally see resigning Lacy to a cheap prove it deal, using Montgomery more... and a later pick in a deep RB class. They need to use the draft capital elsewhere.

Can totally see resigning Lacy to a cheap prove it deal, using Montgomery more... and a later pick in a deep RB class. They need to use the draft capital elsewhere.
They need to go defense with 1st and 2nd round, but if a talent at RB falls to them round 1 they cannot pass it up. They should nab a RB round 3 IMO. This is quite a deep RB class... lots of 1-2nd round talent I think. You could easily grab one round 3 and have it be not much different than a late 1st rounder... which is why I think a lot may fall and GB may have to take one round 2. I'd love that.

They have a lot of defensive needs, and I'd argue even a large TE would be nice. If I'm Eliot Wolf (TT needs to be gone), I draft a CB round 1... not a safety we are converting to CB... a CB. Then I look at the RB talent round 2 and evaluate if I can wait... take a LB or DE round 2, then RB 3 

If Starks misses this game, I'd imagine Monty leads this backfield in touches by a decent margin against Chicago.

If it turns into a blow out though, we may see some CMike again like we did against SEA.

Montys usage is still a gamble of course, but I'm considering him over guys like DT vs NE and MThomas (injury / PP) in .5 PPR.

If Starks misses this game, I'd imagine Monty leads this backfield in touches by a decent margin against Chicago.

If it turns into a blow out though, we may see some CMike again like we did against SEA.

Montys usage is still a gamble of course, but I'm considering him over guys like DT vs NE and MThomas (injury / PP).
I'm not so sure. I think we see a heavy dose of C-Mike unless the game is close.

Montgomery has proven 2 things so far in his time at RB:
1. The offense works and looks a hell of a lot better when he is involved in the rushing and passing attack
2. He cannot stay healthy with the abuse a RB takes

If the game is out of reach, I'm not so sure they need him, or need to risk an injury to him as they close the game out (last time they faced CHI he suffered his kidney bruise). Why not see what they have with CMike and see what he can do. He didn't look that much worse than Montgomery running the ball. 

In the event the game is a close one, which is conceivable given how Chicago has kept their last 3 losses quite close, then you would see a very heavy dose of Montgomery. 

Tough call... I would never bench DT for him... you must be some kind of an adrenaline junkie... but Malcolm Mitchell... sure I could see that. Risky move though. You're counting on the game staying within reach for Chicago and McCarthy to actually give him the ball.

I'm not so sure. I think we see a heavy dose of C-Mike unless the game is close.

1. The offense works and looks a hell of a lot better when he is involved in the rushing and passing attack

If the game is out of reach, I'm not so sure they need him, or need to risk an injury to him as they close the game out (last time they faced CHI he suffered his kidney bruise). Why not see what they have with CMike and see what he can do. He didn't look that much worse than Montgomery running the ball. 

In the event the game is a close one, which is conceivable given how Chicago has kept their last 3 losses quite close, then you would see a very heavy dose of Montgomery. 

Tough call... I would never bench DT for him... you must be some kind of an adrenaline junkie... but Malcolm Mitchell... sure I could see that. Risky move though. You're counting on the game staying within reach for Chicago and McCarthy to actually give him the ball.
This and the fact that he is only getting about eight touches a game combined.

They need to go defense with 1st and 2nd round, but if a talent at RB falls to them round 1 they cannot pass it up. They should nab a RB round 3 IMO. This is quite a deep RB class... lots of 1-2nd round talent I think. You could easily grab one round 3 and have it be not much different than a late 1st rounder... which is why I think a lot may fall and GB may have to take one round 2. I'd love that.

They have a lot of defensive needs, and I'd argue even a large TE would be nice. If I'm Eliot Wolf (TT needs to be gone), I draft a CB round 1... not a safety we are converting to CB... a CB. Then I look at the RB talent round 2 and evaluate if I can wait... take a LB or DE round 2, then RB 3 
I wouldn't just say CB...but see what you are saying.  Depending on where they sit with Perry in the offseason...I think OLB or CB is the pick in the 1st.

The Pats scheme so well against their opponents, I think they'll have success shutting down the Broncos passing game.

Of course garbage time will play a role in DTs production but it's hard trusting Simian against an elite team with a solid defense.

Didn't CMike run the wrong way on a handoff, leaving Rodgers exposed and vulnerable?

The Pats scheme so well against their opponents, I think they'll have success shutting down the Broncos passing game.

Of course garbage time will play a role in DTs production but it's hard trusting Simian against an elite team with a solid defense.
Funny... someone in the Bench Brady thread suggested Siemian was someone he'd consider starting over Brady this week

I am in PPR so I anticipate DT getting a lot of targets. Hopefully that transitions to receptions. NE has a pretty decent defense but you know Denver is going to be passing... their rushing attack is non existent. 

Didn't CMike run the wrong way on a handoff, leaving Rodgers exposed and vulnerable?
According to some, intelligence doesn't matter at the RB position. Apparently including knowing left from right. Given the guy didn't seem to get more than 4 snaps in his previous appearances with GB, and he's been with the team less than a month, I'll give him a one (or in this case two) time pass. 

I think you're all over-analyzing this
That very well may be so, however, I'm in the semis, and my WR1 (Julio) is questionable after missing last week, my WR2 (M Thomas) is questionable after missing last week, my WR3 (Ty Williams is banged up), and my WR4 (Lockett-who I sat, hoping Julio or M Thomas will be able to play) went off on my bench on TNF.  I'm trying to get as much info as possible, and you've seemed like a good source of medical information on this board. 

If Montgomery is likely to be limited because the sickle-cell trait/disease he has means he'll be at danger in the extreme cold, (like players like R Grant or T Coleman are at danger at altitude in Denver), that will factor into my possible decision to start him or not.

On a related not, without giving away subscriber info, FBG's projections have Montgomery moving way up (Dodds & Bloom).  Do GB homers think  Montgomery getting 15 touches is realistic?

That very well may be so, however, I'm in the semis, and my WR1 (Julio) is questionable after missing last week, my WR2 (M Thomas) is questionable after missing last week, my WR3 (Ty Williams is banged up), and my WR4 (Lockett-who I sat, hoping Julio or M Thomas will be able to play) went off on my bench on TNF.  I'm trying to get as much info as possible, and you've seemed like a good source of medical information on this board. 

If Montgomery is likely to be limited because the sickle-cell trait/disease he has means he'll be at danger in the extreme cold, (like players like R Grant or T Coleman are at danger at altitude in Denver), that will factor into my possible decision to start him or not.

On a related not, without giving away subscriber info, FBG's projections have Montgomery moving way up (Dodds & Bloom).  Do GB homers think  Montgomery getting 15 touches is realistic?
Starks is concussed. Michael has been sick all week. They have no one else but Ripkowski

IMO cold or not Montgomery is going to get his. Last time he faced Chicago he had 13 targets, 10 receptions, 126 total yards. I don't expect a repeat but I would expect him to get his.

15 touches? No, probably not realistic any GB RB gets 15 touches the rest of the season. 15 total looks (including receptions) absolutely. 

Starks is concussed. Michael has been sick all week. They have no one else but Ripkowski

IMO cold or not Montgomery is going to get his. Last time he faced Chicago he had 13 targets, 10 receptions, 126 total yards. I don't expect a repeat but I would expect him to get his.

15 touches? No, probably not realistic any GB RB gets 15 touches the rest of the season. 15 total looks (including receptions) absolutely. 
That's what I meant by touches: carries + receptions. 

I can't play him as a RB, but a WR who gets 15 touches might help fill my hole at WR.

Do you think there would be a medical reason to limit his work b/c of the cold (like we hear about guys with sickle cell trait at altitude)?

That's what I meant by touches: carries + receptions. 

I can't play him as a RB, but a WR who gets 15 touches might help fill my hole at WR.

Do you think there would be a medical reason to limit his work b/c of the cold (like we hear about guys with sickle cell trait at altitude)?
So, yes, sickle cell is affected by the cold. Here's when I think this would be an issue...
1- he may get gassed easier. This may lead to more breaks for him. However, given the state of the GB backfield (and the fact that Michael doesn't seem to know the plays), he's the best they have. Ripkowski may see more work, so I think that's your only threat. Maybe vulturing RZ looks but that hasn't changed since Ty lined up at RB
2- resting him too much on the sideline will allow for his body temperature to cool a little bit, which could affect how he plays. The more he moves the more his body temperature stays high and the less likely the cold is to have an effect on his body. So this could be good; this might mean more work. I'm sure if he's on the sideline he's by a heater. So regardless, even with thin tight-like pants on, he should be warmer than the average fan sitting in the stands. 

I think you could do worse. I think he will be involved in the game plan this week quite a bit. Rodgers is banged up. The cold is more likely to affect him and his bum leg than Montgomery, who presumably will be running around building up body heat and staying loose. 

Long term I think you may see Montgomery miss a practice Tuesday or be limited because I would imagine he will be a little more worn down from the effects of the game and the cold weather. I think the cold has more of a factor for next week's practice and availability than this week's game. This week GB has limited options. 

So long story short I wouldn't let the weather affect my expectation of Ty this week. If I had him I would be strongly considering starting him over Ajayi, but Ajayi is going to get volume that I can't pass up. I think Montgomery's floor is 10-12 points in PPR

So, yes, sickle cell is affected by the cold. Here's when I think this would be an issue...
1- he may get gassed easier. This may lead to more breaks for him. However, given the state of the GB backfield (and the fact that Michael doesn't seem to know the plays), he's the best they have. Ripkowski may see more work, so I think that's your only threat. Maybe vulturing RZ looks but that hasn't changed since Ty lined up at RB
2- resting him too much on the sideline will allow for his body temperature to cool a little bit, which could affect how he plays. The more he moves the more his body temperature stays high and the less likely the cold is to have an effect on his body. So this could be good; this might mean more work. I'm sure if he's on the sideline he's by a heater. So regardless, even with thin tight-like pants on, he should be warmer than the average fan sitting in the stands. 

I think you could do worse. I think he will be involved in the game plan this week quite a bit. Rodgers is banged up. The cold is more likely to affect him and his bum leg than Montgomery, who presumably will be running around building up body heat and staying loose. 

Long term I think you may see Montgomery miss a practice Tuesday or be limited because I would imagine he will be a little more worn down from the effects of the game and the cold weather. I think the cold has more of a factor for next week's practice and availability than this week's game. This week GB has limited options. 

So long story short I wouldn't let the weather affect my expectation of Ty this week. If I had him I would be strongly considering starting him over Ajayi, but Ajayi is going to get volume that I can't pass up. I think Montgomery's floor is 10-12 points in PPR

Thanks for the insight.  One more thing for me to agonize over & over-analyze, but I'd rather have the knowledge than be guessing (more than I'm going to already).

Thanks for the insight.  One more thing for me to agonize over & over-analyze, but I'd rather have the knowledge than be guessing (more than I'm going to already).
I'm in the same boat. I'm contemplating starting Montgomery over Cooper. Especially since Casey Hayward is on Cooper. Trying to make up for the loss of production by Rawls. I just have that feeling that I'm going to regret whatever decision I do make. I want to say Montgomery is a safer option with Starks out and Michael sick and not being that good. But for whatever reason they just don't utilize Montgomery when he is on the field with consistency. I get that he's been limited, but when he's out there they aren't using him the way they should be. Their offense clicks so much better when they use him. I would think common sense would prevail but it hasn't yet.

Users who are viewing this thread