What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB/WR Ty Montgomery, NE (1 Viewer)

His efficiency is off the charts. If his usage grows, look out. The RB/WR designation just adds spice to an already tasty treat. I have him in leagues and going after him in others and not a lot of WRs have his nice floor. Its cheating if he ever gets 20 touches in a game as my WR3. :yes:

Last edited by a moderator:
His efficiency is off the charts. If his usage grows, look out. The RB/WR designation just adds spice to an already tasty treat. I have him in leagues and going after him in others and not a lot of WRs have his nice floor. Its cheating if he ever gets 20 touches in a game as my WR3. :yes:
despite not huge numbers...its why I keep trotting him out there...the ceiling right now is pretty high.

Lot of things in play with Ty that make his production (or number of touches) wildly unpredictable IMO:

* Hopefully this "limited snaps" thing is history now. Although I am not convinced that the coaching staff is convinced he is ready for normal RB pounding.

* Not sure how he is viewed in pass protection either. If he is any kind of liability this will contribute to limited snaps.

I, like others, would love to count on 15-25 touches going forward. It just seems like there is something to derail this every week. I hope I am wrong though.

i did notice the pack turned away from him a lot in obvious passing downs last week. could be the snap count thing, could be they want better pass pro from the back in the game.

but one thing's certain: he's putting up about 95 total yards a week in three straight games. that's a trend.

he's also had 15 opportunities in the red zone without a score. sproles is the only player with more opportunities and no scores.

an argument could be made that he's unlikely to have a high TD % because of his playing style/team but it seems pretty unlikely he doesn't score on his next 15 red zone opps. that to me suggests even if his workload dips a bit going forward, a couple scores here or there would offset that.

i think he's a great buy. people are sort of on the fence about him.

Sorry, but he's droppable after seeing the usage this week with Starks back. Never was impressed w his play as a RB or WR. Good w the ball in space, but didn't look good for all the other necessities to be a good player.  Route running, getting off of blocks, etc

He's so obviously a playmaker, and Rodgers likes him a lot. McCarthy really has to be forced to use an exciting young player due to injuries and then immediately shelves him? Stupid.

At least he outscored enunwa and hurns(almost combined) and I don't feel stupid.

Silver lining I guess

Last edited by a moderator:
I could understand if they were playing well with him not getting touches, but they aren't. It seems obvious that the offense played best when he was featured.
Ty Montgomery's lack of usage is not the reason they lost. Hes a mediocre talent on a team with too many mouths to feed.

Yeah, that's why you throw it to him out of the backfield, and that's why the Packers offense was humming along with him in the lineup. Starks sucks.
Their offense looked the best it's looked in 2 years when they were featuring Montgomery out of the backfield on little swing passes, flats, screens, etc.  They've now lost 3 straight where he's either missed or had a limited role. 

Maybe Montgomery's still recovering from something and we don't know the full story, but this is beyond puzzling.  I've posted the stats before, but to say he's not a playmaker is a bit asinine.  James Starks hasn't been good in 3 years.  He's averaged 3.8 yards per carry since 2014, which drops to 2.4 this year.  He's only averaging 6.8 YPC this year, down more than a full yard over his career average and down from 9.1 last year.  Montgomery is averaging 5.3 YPC on the ground and 8.5 YPR through the air...

Assumption of rational coaching and all... Montgomery is just better, and the offense clearly functions better when he plays.  It's baffling he wasn't used yesterday.

What a frustrating game to go to. I still had an absolute blast. Front row 20 yard line. Wonderful experience.

Ty is very under-used and any Packer fan can talk for hours how frustrated they are with this team and the coaching. Depending who you talk to, Capers needs to go, or McCarthy, or Thompson, everyone, no one. One thing is for certain, we are asking Rodgers to do way too much because our running game is ineffective. McCarthy refuses to adapt his play calling to allow us to be more than 1 dimensional.

What I will say is this, Rodgers missed a LOT of wide open guys. Me and my buddy could see it, I don't know how Rodgers couldn't. But perhaps it was because the OL couldn't block. When Ty was in the game, he was wide open on a lot of flat routes, and when he didn't run one the flat was open. This is where this team needs to go with the offensive play calling. Yes, I'm biased being a Ty owner but if your running game is doing nothing then you need some kind of dink/dunk plays that keep the defense honest. McCarthy is not doing this. It's unfortunate.

I was lucky to pull out a win this week in spite of a terrible showing from Ty. I am going to bench him for now until this offense can get figured out. If I need room he is the first to go, unfortunately.

What a frustrating game to go to. I still had an absolute blast. Front row 20 yard line. Wonderful experience.

Ty is very under-used and any Packer fan can talk for hours how frustrated they are with this team and the coaching. Depending who you talk to, Capers needs to go, or McCarthy, or Thompson, everyone, no one. One thing is for certain, we are asking Rodgers to do way too much because our running game is ineffective. McCarthy refuses to adapt his play calling to allow us to be more than 1 dimensional.

What I will say is this, Rodgers missed a LOT of wide open guys. Me and my buddy could see it, I don't know how Rodgers couldn't. But perhaps it was because the OL couldn't block. When Ty was in the game, he was wide open on a lot of flat routes, and when he didn't run one the flat was open. This is where this team needs to go with the offensive play calling. Yes, I'm biased being a Ty owner but if your running game is doing nothing then you need some kind of dink/dunk plays that keep the defense honest. McCarthy is not doing this. It's unfortunate.

I was lucky to pull out a win this week in spite of a terrible showing from Ty. I am going to bench him for now until this offense can get figured out. If I need room he is the first to go, unfortunately.
He was on a snap count again... from an article posted by @hamsterdam in the waiver wire thread - http://host.madison.com/wsj/sports/football/professional/packers-health-status-unclear-on-offensive-linemen-t-j-lang/article_48eb3dac-3118-5733-833a-c95db7983a92.html

Offensive coordinator Edgar Bennett acknowledged wide receiver/running back Ty Montgomery was on a rep count for the second straight game because of complications from sickle-cell trait. Montgomery played just 22 snaps, carrying three times for 9 yards and catching two passes for 11 yards.

I know nothing about how sickle cell affects or physically limits an athlete like Ty from hitting the field and performing his duties.  But just to know it can crop up as a non-specific injury not easily tracked on a Friday injury report has me spooked about ever starting him again.  Hard to drop him because he has so much upside, damned either way I guess.

I'm holding. There's no one on my wire that offers his upside and I'm willing to wait another game or two to see if he's unleashed again. We've seen what he can do when the team gets him the ball. 

I wish there were guys like Prosise sitting on my wire :-(
MEh. I'm putting in a claim for him just in case, but I'm not thrilled about his schedule, usage, etc. I'm more focused on stretch drive speculative adds like Damien Williams, Alfred Morris and Derrick Henry. 

Two encouraging facts:

1.) Ty was on a snap-count again. His usage was not indicative of anything else. 

2.) Starks did not run away with the job. 

Packers need him. When he's fully healthy (who knows when), he'll be unleashed. And we'll all love our TyMo toy once again. 

I know nothing about how sickle cell affects or physically limits an athlete like Ty from hitting the field and performing his duties.  But just to know it can crop up as a non-specific injury not easily tracked on a Friday injury report has me spooked about ever starting him again.  Hard to drop him because he has so much upside, damned either way I guess.
Tevin Coleman doesn't seem to be bothered.

Tevin Coleman doesn't seem to be bothered.
Ryan Clark dealt with it his whole career and the only time it ever bothered him was when Pittsburgh played in Denver and he sat out the games.  

I am really perplexed as to how the GB medical team cant figure out how to treat this.  Shouldnt they have experience or be able to reach out to one of the many experts who have successfully handled it with their players?   I cant imagine the GB staff is incompetent but as every week passes it seems more and more plausible that they just werent prepared for this type of situation...

Ryan Clark dealt with it his whole career and the only time it ever bothered him was when Pittsburgh played in Denver and he sat out the games.  

I am really perplexed as to how the GB medical team cant figure out how to treat this.  Shouldnt they have experience or be able to reach out to one of the many experts who have successfully handled it with their players?   I cant imagine the GB staff is incompetent but as every week passes it seems more and more plausible that they just werent prepared for this type of situation...
I think he's likely just not 100% healed from his kidney ailment. More of an injury complicated by sickle cell than anything caused by sickle cell. 

I think he's likely just not 100% healed from his kidney ailment. More of an injury complicated by sickle cell than anything caused by sickle cell. 
This may be true.  Thanks for reminding me of the kidney.  I just figured it was the team trying to figure out how to handle it during the game, but you are right that there may be lasting issues from the initial injury that led to the diagnosis.

Ty Montgomery’s snaps over the#Packers last three games: 69% > 45% > 28%. Richard Rodgers’ snaps over the same frame: 42% > 71% > 83%. (from@GrahamBarfield)
This is pretty interesting.  Who would have thought that Richard Rodgers would be the one benefitting from Ty Montgomery playing less snaps.  Sitting a WR/RB and replacing him with a TE.   I am not sure what this means going forward though... Has Rodgers earned more playing time?

Users who are viewing this thread