What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB/WR Ty Montgomery, NE (1 Viewer)

Correct. It should not be a struggle to figure out his role, he enters camp as the starting RB and like most players can lose his job if someone else outperforms him but that is the role they intend for him to have.

I've long contended he can be an every down back from a skill set perspective, but I got a lot of reservations he can hold up physically. He was a little injury prone as a WR  and runs pretty upright and aggressive as a RB, mix in the sickle cell issue which they may or may not have addressed and seems difficult to see him holding up to a big role.
This is my biggest reservation with him as an every down back. He will get beat up and have to miss weeks to recover. RB is a brutal position. He may be effective as a role player but I really do think GB bringing in 4 rookie RBs says that they are not entirely confident in his longevity and ability to take 20 carries a game. 

I do believe GB was undefeated in games Ty got at least 10 carries, or maybe it was 10 targets in the passing game. Not sure about that. But realistically GB probably uses a RB, what, 15 carries a game? Then you have Ty's biggest asset which is as a target out of the backfield. That's where he's the most valuable. PPR gold. So I'm not sure any of the other RBs will hold a lot of value unless Ty struggles. Jones is a very comparable talent to Ty without the worries about health, and Jones is just so shifty and exciting on paper/highlights. I think he passes Ty up. I honestly think Ty is old news this time next year

This is my biggest reservation with him as an every down back. He will get beat up and have to miss weeks to recover. RB is a brutal position. He may be effective as a role player but I really do think GB bringing in 4 rookie RBs says that they are not entirely confident in his longevity and ability to take 20 carries a game. 

I do believe GB was undefeated in games Ty got at least 10 carries, or maybe it was 10 targets in the passing game. Not sure about that. But realistically GB probably uses a RB, what, 15 carries a game? Then you have Ty's biggest asset which is as a target out of the backfield. That's where he's the most valuable. PPR gold. So I'm not sure any of the other RBs will hold a lot of value unless Ty struggles. Jones is a very comparable talent to Ty without the worries about health, and Jones is just so shifty and exciting on paper/highlights. I think he passes Ty up. I honestly think Ty is old news this time next year
I'm sure they have concerns on his ability to stay healthy but when your #2 and #3 RB's are Don Jackson and Christine Michael I would think it would be gross incompetence to not bring in a few RB's, especially when they did not sign a worthwhile FA RB or use a high pick one.

I'm sure they have concerns on his ability to stay healthy but when your #2 and #3 RB's are Don Jackson and Christine Michael I would think it would be gross incompetence to not bring in a few RB's, especially when they did not sign a worthwhile FA RB or use a high pick one.
Yeah, I agree. I had said above that I think drafting 2 RBs says more about Jackson and Michael than Ty. Drafting a 3rd says, okay well maybe that guy goes to the practice squad. There was a story about a 4th RB they brought in. Of course, competition is competition, but how long is that leash going to be on Ty if one of these RBs comes in and just dazzles? It happens every year. Why not in GB? All 4 RBs they brought in are very intriguing and very solid athletes. Much more athletic than Ty IMO. Plus they are actually RBs. 

I'll be clear on my stance on Ty:

In PPR redraft/keeper: I'd be pretty happy with him as my RB2. RB1 I would not. 
Non PPR redraft/keeper: I would probably avoid all together. Maybe flex. He poses some significant risk in non-PPR IMO
Dynasty: I would probably try to sell. Long term I just don't see him panning out. I would view selling now as selling at an all time high. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I agree. I had said above that I think drafting 2 RBs says more about Jackson and Michael than Ty. Drafting a 3rd says, okay well maybe that guy goes to the practice squad. There was a story about a 4th RB they brought in. Of course, competition is competition, but how long is that leash going to be on Ty if one of these RBs comes in and just dazzles? It happens every year. Why not in GB? All 4 RBs they brought in are very intriguing and very solid athletes. Much more athletic than Ty IMO. Plus they are actually RBs. 
Very short would be my guess.

Ty will enter camp as the starter-not workhorse feature back but the starter, his job to lose so to speak but anyone can take it. He's a third round WR convert who flashed,  if he gets outplayed he'll lose his grip.

I view it as two key camp battles for the GB RB position. A battle to supplant Ty as the lead back and a battle to see who is going to complement him or if Ty is replaced as lead back battle to see who will complement that RB.

Opinions differ wildly on Ty it seems.  I tried dealing him in a league due to roster issues and was getting offers like a late 3rds, saw him dealt for 1.10 in another league of mine a few days ago.

Makes sense opinions would be all over. On one hand he could lose is job before the season even starts or what I think is his more likely floor next season gets pushed to complementary back to new starter, again that what I think is his floor.On the other hand he's a converted WR who we know can catch in a dynamic offense who goes into camp with every chance to keep his job and if he does he's a legit high upside performer.

I can say where I value him right now in relation to rookies is as RB7, which in this class is not bad.  A lot of people will use late first round/second round picks on that next tier of RB's hoping they get a productive RB but dreaming of landing the next David Johnson or Jordan Howard. I think he's got more of a chance to do hit that kind of upside then most of those RB's I'll see go in that range and to me a better bet for immediate useful role to your fantasy team.

Ty just lost his WR/RB status on ESPN (to just RB) ... a bit of a drop in value due to this event.

That's all ... carry on.

he's just marked as an "RB" in MFL as well. Not sure how long this has been the case though. Maybe that's old news.

MFL doesn't assign positions, they import from Roto who has never given multiple designations.  MFL gives commish an option to change/add position options if they want.  He was changed to RB late last year.

He has more value as WR/RB than a RB or a WR.
Yes. Being able to play a RB at WR is extremely valuable. I never understood why so many people wanted him to be switched from WR to RB/WR last year... he was more valuable at just WR. 

Being that he is just a RB now, I don't really see that to be a big problem. They corrected Colston when he was listed as TE/WR. It doesn't hurt his value much IMO because if you didn't see this coming then I really don't know what to say to you. 

It hurts his value just because you get the flexibility to play him where you want. With the scarcity at the position, people wanted him to have the RB tag last year because A. he was playing RB anyway and B. some teams (like mine) were so ravaged by injuries that having an extra guy I could plug in to the RB position was huge.

On the other hand, teams that aren't hurting wanted him to have the dual tag because since RB as a position gets more touches, an average starting RB will have more consistent scoring than the average WR. RB also tends to get more opportunities in the redzone. So many people wanted to plug him in to the WR slot while still having the RB option available to them.

Bottom line, you knew he was going to lose the WR designation this offseason but it does hurt his value nonetheless.

It hurts his value just because you get the flexibility to play him where you want. With the scarcity at the position, people wanted him to have the RB tag last year because A. he was playing RB anyway and B. some teams (like mine) were so ravaged by injuries that having an extra guy I could plug in to the RB position was huge.

On the other hand, teams that aren't hurting wanted him to have the dual tag because since RB as a position gets more touches, an average starting RB will have more consistent scoring than the average WR. RB also tends to get more opportunities in the redzone. So many people wanted to plug him in to the WR slot while still having the RB option available to them.

Bottom line, you knew he was going to lose the WR designation this offseason but it does hurt his value nonetheless.
I get this line of thinking, but I just don't understand why someone would want to play Ty at WR. He will likely be a decent RB2 and a good Flex. I can't really think of any RB2s I would have rather started at WR2 last year... Ajayi was my RB2... I didn't even want him there. 

Yes, a RB may be more consistant than WR, but unless you start more than 2 WRs I'd say to find a RB who can outscore a WR2 consistently is pretty rare unless he's a RB1. I think last year a lot of guys wanted him at RB because RB was decimated. That is absolutely true. But the scenario where they were deep at RB and thin at WR and wanted to start Ty at WR is a less common one IMO. 

You could find a lot of WRs who could equal that production on the WW, especially if you play the match up game. You're more likely to find a Wr who can score you 12-15 points than a RB. 

If Ty can consistently get 6-10 targets a game through the air, then in PPR he is an absolute monster as a WR/RB and maybe he would have some value at WR2. I don't see that happening. In fact, I see him losing a lot of time/targets/carries to the rooks. 

To say he takes "a bit of a drop" (as was said above) because of this is crazy because: 1. if you didn't see this coming and already adjust your value of him then you only have yourself to blame... and 2. because the percentile of people counting on being able to play him at WR on their rosters next season has to be in the single digits. IMO he'd have a big hit if he was moved back to WR. Sure, his value might take a slight hit, because players that have more flexibility are more valuable I get it, but specifically this player doesn't offer a lot of value at WR2 so unless you start 3 or 4 WRs Ty wasn't going to crack that lineup for more than maybe a bye week fill in. The depth at WR is much deeper than RB

Yes. Being able to play a RB at WR is extremely valuable. I never understood why so many people wanted him to be switched from WR to RB/WR last year... he was more valuable at just WR. 
No, that is wrong. Like any player he's most valuable with dual position eligibility but he's more valuable as a RB than as a WR and not close.

No, that is wrong. Like any player he's most valuable with dual position eligibility but he's more valuable as a RB than as a WR and not close.
I disagree. I'm talking about last season. Being able to play a RB1 at WR is incredibly valuable, depending on your depth. At times he performed as a RB1. To get that at WR is awesome. 

He is more valuable with more flexibility, but he is more valuable next year as a RB undoubtedly. I am talking about last year- he was more valuable staying at WR unless you were really depleted at RB then you desperately wanted him switched. 

I just don't think he has the same value this season as he ended with last season

My situation may have been unique last year but I had several WR injuries and solid RBs. So when I picked up Ty I played him at WR and won a couple weeks because of him. I lost Keenan Allen for the year and lost very valuable games from AJ Green, Moncrief and even Corey Coleman to the extent that it mattered. Anyway Ty was much more valuable to me in the WR position than RB. The ability to choose is where the extra value lays. Or did.

Being that he is just a RB now, I don't really see that to be a big problem. They corrected Colston when he was listed as TE/WR. It doesn't hurt his value much IMO because if you didn't see this coming then I really don't know what to say to you. 
With short benches the dual position eligibility is a big advantage. 

I get this line of thinking, but I just don't understand why someone would want to play Ty at WR. He will likely be a decent RB2 and a good Flex. I can't really think of any RB2s I would have rather started at WR2 last year... Ajayi was my RB2... I didn't even want him there. 

Yes, a RB may be more consistant than WR, but unless you start more than 2 WRs I'd say to find a RB who can outscore a WR2 consistently is pretty rare unless he's a RB1. I think last year a lot of guys wanted him at RB because RB was decimated. That is absolutely true. But the scenario where they were deep at RB and thin at WR and wanted to start Ty at WR is a less common one IMO. 

You could find a lot of WRs who could equal that production on the WW, especially if you play the match up game. You're more likely to find a Wr who can score you 12-15 points than a RB. 

If Ty can consistently get 6-10 targets a game through the air, then in PPR he is an absolute monster as a WR/RB and maybe he would have some value at WR2. I don't see that happening. In fact, I see him losing a lot of time/targets/carries to the rooks. 

To say he takes "a bit of a drop" (as was said above) because of this is crazy because: 1. if you didn't see this coming and already adjust your value of him then you only have yourself to blame... and 2. because the percentile of people counting on being able to play him at WR on their rosters next season has to be in the single digits. IMO he'd have a big hit if he was moved back to WR. Sure, his value might take a slight hit, because players that have more flexibility are more valuable I get it, but specifically this player doesn't offer a lot of value at WR2 so unless you start 3 or 4 WRs Ty wasn't going to crack that lineup for more than maybe a bye week fill in. The depth at WR is much deeper than RB
12-15 points is easy to find on the waiver wire? In my dynasty league, you have to go down to the WR70 in terms of ppg before you find a guy who is even available and that is Eddie Royal with a whopping 9ppg. At 12ppg we're talking about guys like Jordan Matthews, Allen Robinson, Rishard Matthews, Pierre Garcon, Desean Jackson, Tyreek Hill, Cole Beasely etc. None of those guys are available in a dynasty league and even in a redraft, Beasely is the only one of those who could be available last year and he wasn't in any of my leagues. So in that sense, you are completely wrong. 12-15 points of production is not easy to find. An RB producing 15ppg in my league would've been RB20 last year vs WR15. That makes that RB more valuable to play at the WR positiion if I can.

You don't seem to understand the value of the versatility provided by and RB/WR tagged player. He is effectively a flex play no matter where you slide him in. Yes, most people were probably playing him at RB and it didn't matter. But 2 years ago I was in a redraft league where after week 2, I had lost 4 WRs to injury: Dez, Jordy, Smith Sr, and Wright. I had nobody to play at that position so I would've loved the versatility of having an RB that could slide in as a WR. It's not about what that designation does for you at this moment, it's about what it CAN do for you if you need it. You're categorically wrong to say that it doesn't effect his value. Should people have seen it coming? Yes. But you can only move the needle so far on prediction when reality hasn't changed to reflect that prediction. Now it has and now we will see how much it hurts his value as a fantasy commodity.

gabes1919 said:
12-15 points is easy to find on the waiver wire?
Yes, in PPR I can find 10-12 points easily on the WW. 15-16 if I get lucky and they score a TD. I find it all the time in my league. My league is a short bench league so the WW has plenty. 

Sure, in dynasty you're not going to find that... that's ridiculous. Everyone's league specifics factor into their opinion and I guess I should probably clarify that I am talking about PPR leagues, and specifically my league where I have 5 bench guys total. 

In the end, I don't think Ty amounts to much anyways so I have his value very low to begin with, so for me this does nothing. And if you didn't see this coming... well then sorry :shrug:  I knew this was coming the moment he got dual eligibility

Ty Montgomery says he has a better understanding of the mental aspect of being a running back.

"I was running a lot on instincts," said Montgomery, who transitioned from wide receiver to running back during the season last year. "I knew where I was supposed to be going, but it was instinct. Now, I know techniques. I know rotations and understanding gap rules and what the defense is supposed to be doing. I know my reads." Montgomery averaged 6.65 yards per touch, including a robust 5.94 yards per carry. He enters OTAs atop the depth chart, but the Packers drafted three running backs. Montgomery will most likely end up a the lead part of a 2017 committee.

Source: packers.com 
May 27 - 4:16 PM

When is the last time we've seen a "starting RB" learning the job on the fly?

i own him in one dynasty league and hope to be able to move him for any pick in the 2nd around draft time. 

Ty Montgomery is currently weighing in at 220 pounds.
The Packers asked Montgomery to slim down to 215 pounds when he was playing wide receiver and special teams, but he's bulked back up to running back weight. He's still a pound lighter than his 2015 Combine weigh-in (6'0/221). Montgomery is bigger than both of the middle-round running backs drafted by Green Bay -- Jamaal Williams (6'0/212) and Aaron Jones (5'9/208).

Source: Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel

Going from WR weight of 215 to running back weight of 220 is bulking up? 
He was forced to lay off of the weights in order to get down to the Packers recommended 215.  He's on a diet that has reduced body fat and allowed him to lift freely.  So in short, yes, being able to lift freely, reduce body fat % and increase muscle mass is significant.

Ty Montgomery, At Home Atop the RB Depth Chart

Excerpt:

1. I think Ty Montgomery taking permanent residence atop the Packers’ running back depth chart makes a lot of sense. He averaged 5.9 yards per carry in 2016 and that’s more important to Green Bay’s offense than the team utilizing Montgomery at receiver, behind Jordy Nelson, Randall Cobb and Davante Adams.

I did some reporting on the Packers before the NFC championship game but didn’t get to use it after they lost to the Falcons. One story, from Shannon Turley, Director of Sports Performance at Stanford, Montgomery’s alma mater, stood out. He said a scout from the Arizona Cardinals called him before the Packers drafted Montgomery in the third round in 2015 and said Montgomery would have been graded higher as a running back, and that players with his body type at wide receiver (6-0, 216) hadn’t fared well in the NFL. “Mark my words,” the scout told Turley. “You’re going to see the day that he plays running back.”

Turley said Montgomery reminded him of a bigger version of Christian McCaffrey, the Stanford star who was just drafted eighth overall by Carolina. “I wonder how our team might have been if we’d scrapped our plan with Ty and put him in the backfield,” Turley said.

I'm not expecting it by any means but in this offense, Ty truly has overall RB1 potential if he can hone his craft running and with his prowess in the passing game. If that isn't worth taking in the 5th round or so, then I don't know what is. He could be 2017's iteration of 2015's Freeman. Again, I'm not calling for it but I think there is a great chance to get RB1 production. That being said, I'm very happy I don't have to draft until after week 3 preseason, let me get a better look.

I'm not expecting it by any means but in this offense, Ty truly has overall RB1 potential if he can hone his craft running and with his prowess in the passing game. If that isn't worth taking in the 5th round or so, then I don't know what is. He could be 2017's iteration of 2015's Freeman. Again, I'm not calling for it but I think there is a great chance to get RB1 production. That being said, I'm very happy I don't have to draft until after week 3 preseason, let me get a better look.
If Ty can get 8-10 targets, which would result in about 6-8 receptions, that puts him in the RB1 discussion. 8 receptions for even 75 yards and the chance of a score... that's huge.

The problem is that GB realized by giving him that much work he breaks down too easily. He got beat to hell last year and you could see an obvious decrease in use in the passing game. He had 12 and 13 targets in back to back games (10 receptions each) and was so beat up he missed 1 game and would have missed a second if it wasn't the bye week. After that he averaged 3.75 targets (2 receptions) the rest of the season (12 games). 

When people think of Ty they automatically think of his huge reception value... but really 45% of his receptions came in his first 2 games at RB... Sure... 2 receptions per game works out to 32 receptions on the season... which is pretty okay... for a bellcow RB. Montgomery has true RBs behind him, Williams can run much better than Ty. 

IMO, if Ty hones his craft running the ball, he can amount to some value at RB, but he has such talent behind him I think it's going to be hard to keep them off the field. Ty was abysmal at the goal line last year. Williams is a much better between the tackles runner. Aaron Jones can do both (run, catch). Ty needs to take a huge step to keep both of these guys off the field. I just don't see it happening. I do believe it'll be something similar to what we saw for the NYG last season. I fully expect Ty to be a RB3/4 by the end of the year even if he doesn't lose the starting slot to Williams... but I have been calling for this for a while now (Ty will fall out of the starting role and be a McCluster type player) 

If Ty can get 8-10 targets, which would result in about 6-8 receptions, that puts him in the RB1 discussion. 8 receptions for even 75 yards and the chance of a score... that's huge.

The problem is that GB realized by giving him that much work he breaks down too easily. He got beat to hell last year and you could see an obvious decrease in use in the passing game. He had 12 and 13 targets in back to back games (10 receptions each) and was so beat up he missed 1 game and would have missed a second if it wasn't the bye week. After that he averaged 3.75 targets (2 receptions) the rest of the season (12 games). 

When people think of Ty they automatically think of his huge reception value... but really 45% of his receptions came in his first 2 games at RB... Sure... 2 receptions per game works out to 32 receptions on the season... which is pretty okay... for a bellcow RB. Montgomery has true RBs behind him, Williams can run much better than Ty. 

IMO, if Ty hones his craft running the ball, he can amount to some value at RB, but he has such talent behind him I think it's going to be hard to keep them off the field. Ty was abysmal at the goal line last year. Williams is a much better between the tackles runner. Aaron Jones can do both (run, catch). Ty needs to take a huge step to keep both of these guys off the field. I just don't see it happening. I do believe it'll be something similar to what we saw for the NYG last season. I fully expect Ty to be a RB3/4 by the end of the year even if he doesn't lose the starting slot to Williams... but I have been calling for this for a while now (Ty will fall out of the starting role and be a McCluster type player) 
I disagree about the talent behind him...going into the offseason the Pack had a backfield of Montgomery and nothing else so there were going to be additions...that was a given...I would have been far more concerned if they had taken a Cook or a Mixon in the second or signed a Gillislee/Blount/Peterson/Woodhead or some combo of both...now that doesn't mean Williams or Jones won't be good but the fact is if the Pack were real concerned about Montgomery I believe they would have added more then mid to late round picks (regardless of who they are)...that would be pretty reckless for a Super Bowl contender...IMO their offseason was a sign that Montgomery will play a big role in their offense...I feel the big question is will it translate to fantasy success or just real football success...

Boston said:
I disagree about the talent behind him...going into the offseason the Pack had a backfield of Montgomery and nothing else so there were going to be additions...that was a given...I would have been far more concerned if they had taken a Cook or a Mixon in the second or signed a Gillislee/Blount/Peterson/Woodhead or some combo of both...now that doesn't mean Williams or Jones won't be good but the fact is if the Pack were real concerned about Montgomery I believe they would have added more then mid to late round picks (regardless of who they are)...that would be pretty reckless for a Super Bowl contender...IMO their offseason was a sign that Montgomery will play a big role in their offense...I feel the big question is will it translate to fantasy success or just real football success...
Agreed. But I would add that if the Packers were real concerned about Montgomery I believe they would have made more of an effort to re-sign Lacy

Boston said:
GB had much more glaring needs on defense, which is what they went with for the first 3 picks of the draft. IMO their DBs were way thinner than RB- even if all they had was Ty! If they were set on defense and waited until Round 4 to grab a RB then I'd share your opinion 100%, however given defense was the main reason they lost to ATL, and RB was extremely deep in this draft (several scouts agreed a startable RB could be had round 4-5), I just don't see what you said as 100% correct. I understand how you can have that opinion, and it is a rational one, but I just have a different one. And that's okay. 

I agree for the most part, however GB had much more glaring needs on defense, which is what they went with for the first 3 picks of the draft. IMO their DBs were way thinner than RB- even if all they had was Ty! If they were set on defense and waited until Round 4 to grab a RB then I'd share your opinion 100%, however given defense was the main reason they lost to ATL, and RB was extremely deep in this draft (several scouts agreed a startable RB could be had round 4-5), I just don't see what you said as 100% correct. I understand how you can have that opinion, and it is a rational one, but I just have a different one. And that's okay. 
I understand that about the draft...logical point...that being said there were plenty of low-cost options on the FA market they could have added...my overall point is I feel much better about Montgomery after seeing what they added...regardless of what the reasons are they did not add anyone (at least on paper) that looks like they will definitely hurt him...doesn't mean that Jones or Williams won't shine but when it comes to picks at that point in the draft I think we all agree it is a crapshoot...

I understand that about the draft...logical point...that being said there were plenty of low-cost options on the FA market they could have added...my overall point is I feel much better about Montgomery after seeing what they added...regardless of what the reasons are they did not add anyone (at least on paper) that looks like they will definitely hurt him...doesn't mean that Jones or Williams won't shine but when it comes to picks at that point in the draft I think we all agree it is a crapshoot...
Yes, you're right. Both could flame out. 

I was surprised as well as I heard some rumors about Blount coming to GB... I fully expected that to happen. I would agree having nothing but rookies behind Ty is more of a vote of confidence in him than if they brought in a vet. 

Yes, you're right. Both could flame out. 

I was surprised as well as I heard some rumors about Blount coming to GB... I fully expected that to happen. I would agree having nothing but rookies behind Ty is more of a vote of confidence in him than if they brought in a vet. 
I like Montgomery but I find it odd that they didn't because they are a Super Bowl contender...if Montgomery can't handle a big workload and the picks don't work out they would really be in trouble at that position...depending on how the rookies look I would not be surprised to see them bring another back prior to the season...

Speaking Monday, Packers coach Mike McCarthy called Ty Montgomery a "full threat."

"He can obviously run it, he can catch it," McCarthy said. "He just needs the reps in pass protection because he's actually really high in ability for pass protection. ... That guy's a stud now. He's got it in his body." McCarthy's comments come one month after the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel guessed that pass protection would be a "significant factor" in Montgomery's playing time. The Packers were reluctant to give Montgomery more than 10-12 touches per game last season, but he has an opportunity to seize bigger workloads. He offers mouthwatering upside as an RB2.

Source: Tom Pelissero on Twitter 

Jul 31 - 3:04 PM

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports Packers coach Mike McCarthy is looking for more balance on offense this season.

"There's two ways to throw the ball -- action passing game or dropback," McCarthy said. "You want to have both of them on first and second down, in legitimate threats, too." The coach added the team plans to utilize more two-tight-end sets this season after bringing in Martellus Bennett and Lance Kendricks -- they ran the second-fewest plays from "12" personnel last season. All of that is great news for Ty Montgomery assuming he can hold onto the starting job. Montgomery's third-round ADP is lofty, but he has the upside to meet it in this offense.

Source: NFL.com

Aug 3 - 12:24 PM

ESPN Packers reporter Rob Demovsky believes fourth-round RB Jamaal Williams is pushing Ty Montgomery.

Demovsky has reported as much each of the past two days. The reporter believes Williams could have an edge in pass protection, an age-old decider in running back battles. Speaking earlier this week, coach Mike McCarthy called Montgomery a "full threat," but said he needed more reps in pass pro. Both Ty Mont and Williams will be on the spot this preseason.

Funny enough ... I was one of the biggest Ty supporters in the breakout last year.  Then he got banged up, and the sickle cell is certainly something worth a modicum of concern.

What's interesting though is that the day after Demovsky posts this about Jamaal Williams pushing Ty Montgomery, Mike McCarthy was on SiriusXM NFL Radio and said this:

“Ty Montgomery looks excellent and very comfortable. True student of the game,” Packers coach Mike McCarthy said on SiriusXM NFL Radio.
https://twitter.com/SiriusXMNFL/status/893567678547460096

Users who are viewing this thread