What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Deadwood (1 Viewer)

It's completely distracing 
 I agree.  I remember actually waiting to see how long it would take for the characters to realize it was the guy from the beginning.  I thought he was in disguise to get back at the people who wronged him.  It was just so weird.  
I’m embarrassed to say but I’ve watched the whole series multiple times and never noticed before.  Not sure how that’s possible now that I’ve seen it (googled it just now) but I didn’t.  

Can't believe they use the same actor as McCall in season 2. Half way through season 2 and it still throws me. 
Yea, a bit weird but I personally loved the actor's performance as both McCall and Mr. W. I'm kinda glad they brought him back. 

Can't believe they use the same actor as McCall in season 2. Half way through season 2 and it still throws me. 
It's a Milch thing. I just did a full watch of NYPD Blue (never watched it while it was on) and Milch did this with at least 10 actors. Mostly minor roles, and spread out over a few years it's probably not as big a deal. But since I was binging it, it was more noticeable. One actress was on as three different characters, the last one being a series regular. 

A bunch of Deadwood actors also were on NYPD Blue (including Dillahunt) and the guy who played Wu pulled a "Dillahunt" on Blue, himself, by being two different characters.

going to rewatch.  I think I gave up half way through the last season when I heard there was no ending.   If I remember right it was getting more into the politics side at that point.

It's a Milch thing. I just did a full watch of NYPD Blue (never watched it while it was on) and Milch did this with at least 10 actors. Mostly minor roles, and spread out over a few years it's probably not as big a deal. But since I was binging it, it was more noticeable. One actress was on as three different characters, the last one being a series regular. 

A bunch of Deadwood actors also were on NYPD Blue (including Dillahunt) and the guy who played Wu pulled a "Dillahunt" on Blue, himself, by being two different characters.
It's the same thing with Soprano's when you see Vito / Gino.  If you like the actor, bring him back but tie him in somehow.

I've decided to re-watch season 3 in prep for the movie. Mostly because I don't remember all that happened.

My wife never watched the show. Is it easy enough to follow not having seen it.?
Actually - if she hasn’t seen the show, I wouldn’t bother with the movie. It’s got a lot of flashbacks and much of the movie is a celebration of the show. It wouldn’t mean anything otherwise.

Actually - if she hasn’t seen the show, I wouldn’t bother with the movie. It’s got a lot of flashbacks and much of the movie is a celebration of the show. It wouldn’t mean anything otherwise.
So, is this a consensus opinion?

Yes, if you haven't seen the show there is a lot going on that you wouldn't understand. The flashbacks are just brief reminders and don't really explain their significance.
Ok, thanks. I'll watch it on my own. Her loss for not watching it with me when she had the chance!

I thought it was great and loved how they were able to fit all the characters in without it feeling forced. 

If I had to mention one thing (and not so much a complaint) it would be this:  For years I've heard people describe Deadwood as a foul mouthed show where the characters spoke like Shakespeare.  And I thought that was a good description, but not 100% accurate.  I thought the dialogue was great, but it didn't sound like Hamlet.  But in the movie, there were at least 2 scenes where it seemed like they were trying really hard to make it sound like Shakespeare.  The opening scene with Al and the Doctor seemed a little over the top.  And then the scene where Johnny got shot outside the bar, he looked up at Al and said something like, "Alas, shot have I been!"  It was odd.  

But overall, a solid 10 out of 10.  

I thought it was great and loved how they were able to fit all the characters in without it feeling forced. 

If I had to mention one thing (and not so much a complaint) it would be this:  For years I've heard people describe Deadwood as a foul mouthed show where the characters spoke like Shakespeare.  And I thought that was a good description, but not 100% accurate.  I thought the dialogue was great, but it didn't sound like Hamlet.  But in the movie, there were at least 2 scenes where it seemed like they were trying really hard to make it sound like Shakespeare.  The opening scene with Al and the Doctor seemed a little over the top.  And then the scene where Johnny got shot outside the bar, he looked up at Al and said something like, "Alas, shot have I been!"  It was odd.  

Had the same exact thoughts

Watching the series for the first time. The final four episodes of season 2 are among the best tv I’ve ever seen. 

The quiet facial reactions from everybody (especially Al) as Sol walks down the street when the boy dies...damn. 

Jane's speech in Toms bar where Bill met his demise was a "Shakespeare" moment as well.

Great finale.  I told my wife, who'd never watched the show, that she'd hear more "bunt" and "socksuckers" in the next two hours than she'd heard her whole movie/television watching life.  She didn't believe me, cause she's kind of a "bunt" herself, but she soon found out.

Man I miss this show. 

Sounded more Yodaesk than Shakespearean. 

Agree with the overall rating though, loved the movie and was really happy to get another "episode".

Really a treat to see all the characters again, loved it.  Couple of thoughts:

Last edited by a moderator:
Ugh, have no clue how to do spoilers....oh well. 

Ugh, have no clue how to do spoilers....oh well. 
How Do You Do a Spoiler?

Same as before, put the word spoiler in brackets [] and close it with /spoiler in brackets, with your text in between them.  If you have multiple spoiler boxes, having returns or links inside of the spoiler when you first create the post can cause problems as it seems confused on which tags go together. To avoid this, create the post with the spoiler boxes but without returns or links inside any of the spoilers. Once they are all created and appear properly, edit the post to put the missing content back inside of them.

test

Was expecting something different I guess. Seemed like a victory lap for the actors to me. Was ok but honestly, when it ended I was kinda like "that was it?"

Fight me

Edit to add - Just made me more pissed how HBO pulled the rug out from under it to begin with, such a good show.

Was really good. I was surprised they didn't work the Gem getting burned down into the show, but that made it better for me. I thought it showed how much better an actor Olyphant has become since the end of the series. Needed a bit more Wu.

My only nitpick is - Hearst couldn't figure out a way to route the telephone lines around Charlie's plot of land? I guess maybe asserting his dominance over the town again was the thing Hearst really cared about there, so I'll dismiss my nitpick myself.

I definitely enjoyed it - was nice to see the old gang back again.

Not enough Al & Woo imo.

Also didn’t like Al going out so quietly like that.

Users who are viewing this thread