What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Derrick Henry, BAL (1 Viewer)

Awesome.

In general, it amazed me how down on Henry people got. It's like they let the situation get to them. Situation is the elephant in the room & you have to deal with it.

Whether he was worth a 2nd in a mediocre 2019 class seems silly now which was my point back when it was being discussed (not too long ago).

It doesn't mater what Henry does the rest of this season, he should be considered a top long-term asset.
Situation is a big part of it, but Eddie George’s assessment of his running style earlier this year was dead on accurate.  He would not impose his will on smaller tacklers and and would go down on first contact far too often for someone his size.  Which would then limit his opportunities and make his situation look worse.

he looks like a completely different player than he did in October

Situation is a big part of it, but Eddie George’s assessment of his running style earlier this year was dead on accurate.  He would not impose his will on smaller tacklers and and would go down on first contact far too often for someone his size.  Which would then limit his opportunities and make his situation look worse.

he looks like a completely different player than he did in October
Yeah, Henry seems to be running tougher.

A lot of it is getting in a groove & he just wasn't getting enough touches earlier.

There could very well have been a confidence issue. George discussed this too and BTW it was also dead on. He said many players go through the motions in a sort of midpoint. They come out on fire as a rookie, midpoint, then fired up because their career is at stake. A lot goes into a team making you their guy- the reps, the faith, the calls...a lot of players view it as gimme a chance but coaches view it as prove your worthy...at some point something has to break for or against a player and even after letting DeMarco go, the Titans didn't truly hitch their wagon to Henry

Kudos to Bri on this one.

He was touting Henry all during the offseason and during the season. Took quite some time for Henry to get going and plant Lewis on the bench, but he definitely showed he’s got the goods.

(Rotoworld) New Titans OC Arthur Smith promised Derrick Henry will be a "big part of the offense."

Analysis: "He has a rare skill set," Smith continued. "Derrick's a home-run hitter. We are taking another step hopefully with him. What he did over the last five weeks will open up a lot of things. ... We want to be physical and knock people back." Henry was a massive disappointment Weeks 1-12, rushing for just 434 yards and five scores while averaging 3.7 YPC. But Henry was arguably the best back in football Weeks 13-17, rushing 97 times for 625 yards (6.44 YPC) and seven TDs. Henry is entering the final year of his rookie deal, giving him even more incentive for a big year.

still so under valued. I have guys in leagues that say he's worth, at most, a late 1st. Seems nuts to me.  :shrug:
he only has a small # of 100+ yard games. I can see that making people skittish. For me, it's that things finally clicked and the "lookout NFL" feeling

I think his coaches are to blame as much or more than Henry when he was getting 6-12 carries max early in the season. 

[titansonline.com] Speaking this week, Titans coach Mike Vrabel said he would like to build the offense around Derrick Henry.

https://www.titansonline.com/news/titans-plan-to-ride-rb-derrick-henry-from-the-start-in-2019
I did not see one place in that article he said he was looking to build the offense around Henry.  Closest thing I could find was when he said "I think that is where the whole plan would like to start" in regards to him being a big piece of the offense and that's a long way from saying "we are building the offense around him".

I did not see one place in that article he said he was looking to build the offense around Henry.  Closest thing I could find was when he said "I think that is where the whole plan would like to start" in regards to him being a big piece of the offense and that's a long way from saying "we are building the offense around him".
Speaking this week, Titans coach Mike Vrabel said he would like to build the offense around Derrick Henry.

"I think that is where the whole plan would like to start," Vrabel said. "If Derrick can do what he did at the end of the year at the start this year, he’s certainly going to get a lot more opportunities." What Henry "did at the end of the year" was put the Titans' offense on his back and operate as one of the best running backs in all of football. Henry has always had freakish ability but found himself in committees because of his lack of threat as a pass catcher. It appears he has finally done enough as a rusher to earn true work-horse treatment. The 25-year-old will begin 2019 on the RB1/2 borderline.

Source: titansonline.com

‎Mar‎ ‎28‎, ‎2019‎ ‎4‎:‎13‎ ‎PM

Speaking this week, Titans coach Mike Vrabel said he would like to build the offense around Derrick Henry.

"I think that is where the whole plan would like to start," Vrabel said. "If Derrick can do what he did at the end of the year at the start this year, he’s certainly going to get a lot more opportunities." What Henry "did at the end of the year" was put the Titans' offense on his back and operate as one of the best running backs in all of football. Henry has always had freakish ability but found himself in committees because of his lack of threat as a pass catcher. It appears he has finally done enough as a rusher to earn true work-horse treatment. The 25-year-old will begin 2019 on the RB1/2 borderline.

Source: titansonline.com

‎Mar‎ ‎28‎, ‎2019‎ ‎4‎:‎13‎ ‎PM
I mentioned that line and also mentioned how that and nothing you just posted is saying we are building the offense around him. That's a reach of a conclusion, feel free to make it yourself, but that's not what he said.

Always gotta read between the lines or check the original source in these blurbs, especially if Roto is the one putting them out.

still so under valued. I have guys in leagues that say he's worth, at most, a late 1st. Seems nuts to me.  :shrug:
Right? Henry is worth MUCH more than any pick in the 2019 rookie draft. You'd think after what he showed it would sink in.

in fact, I wouldn't move him for any TWO picks in 2019 as things stand now.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ll believe it when I see it. I’ve had him all 3 years. He had 2 monster games at the end of the year so everyone is frothing at the mouth. How quick we forget he has 4 100 yard games over his last 32. FOUR. 

And I don’t like to take out individual games to make stats look more telling but it’s hard to not notice that if you remove the 2 monster games he has 10 TD’s in 30 games. 

I want him to succeed SO bad because I think he is a freak and I have so much invested in him but I am not holding my breath. 

Elevencents said:
I’ll believe it when I see it. I’ve had him all 3 years. He had 2 monster games at the end of the year so everyone is frothing at the mouth. How quick we forget he has 4 100 yard games over his last 32. FOUR. 

And I don’t like to take out individual games to make stats look more telling but it’s hard to not notice that if you remove the 2 monster games he has 10 TD’s in 30 games. 

I want him to succeed SO bad because I think he is a freak and I have so much invested in him but I am not holding my breath. 
Henry has a high success rate when given a feature back load. 

That’s a very good sign, IMO.

It seems hard to believe they would do that, but guess it’s possible.
they've had predraft visits with some of the top RBs. I dont know why they'd waste their time, or their limited predraft visits. they've visited with rbs projected to go rounds 2 or 3. :shrug:

Correct me if I’m wrong but with Henry sitting there they still acquired Murray and then Lewis so if history is any indicator they will pick someone else up (potentially in the draft) this year. 

they've had predraft visits with some of the top RBs. I dont know why they'd waste their time, or their limited predraft visits. they've visited with rbs projected to go rounds 2 or 3. :shrug:
There isn’t a back in this draft that I would guarantee of being picked in the first 3 rounds.

I would fully expect Tennessee to draft a RB. Even if it is a 2nd/3rd round pick, I would have a hard time seeing them beat out Henry for the starting role. If it does happen that way then I guess I'll say I'm ready to eat crow.

I own Henry in two leagues. Drafted him in both and have not been able to acquire him anywhere else despite trying. I know there is a self bias here because I want him to succeed for my teams sake, but I really feel like he has been criminally underused. NFL coaches can be really stupid sometimes. I would hope they're ready to let him shine. I don't think the end of the year was a fluke. Ok that one monster game was. You know? The one where I didn't start him and I *would* have advanced another playoff round.

But all teams need multiple RBs. Would be more worried if they *didn't* have backs they were checking out. If they draft one early it will certainly get my attention.

The Titans could use a backup RB. I’d expect them to scout the position heavily & draft one. They certainly won’t spend a 1st-rounder on a RB, but anything is possible after that.

There’s no RB in this draft that’s going to challenge Henry, though (especially where they’ll be taking one).

Teams interview teammates of players they're interested in sometimes. Pretty sure this happens.

Not saying Titans wont take a runningback tho. 
Not saying it doesnt. I'm just curious that they've brought in two of the top 5 RBs so far, guys slated to go round 2/3. 

The coach speak is just that and only that. I'm not saying I'm against Henry or wishing he fails, just calling a spade a spade. If TN stands pat and maybe takes a rb round 5 then great for Henry owners. If they burn a 2nd or 3rd then I'd be somewhat concerned. Considering he is a FA after this year, I wouldnt doubt if they were preparing for life after Henry. which, oddly enough, could be the best thing to happen to Henry

Not saying it doesnt. I'm just curious that they've brought in two of the top 5 RBs so far, guys slated to go round 2/3. 

The coach speak is just that and only that. I'm not saying I'm against Henry or wishing he fails, just calling a spade a spade. If TN stands pat and maybe takes a rb round 5 then great for Henry owners. If they burn a 2nd or 3rd then I'd be somewhat concerned. Considering he is a FA after this year, I wouldnt doubt if they were preparing for life after Henry. which, oddly enough, could be the best thing to happen to Henry
It’s not impossible that they pick a RB but teams bring in guys all the time for visits and then do not draft them. 

I mentioned that line and also mentioned how that and nothing you just posted is saying we are building the offense around him. That's a reach of a conclusion, feel free to make it yourself, but that's not what he said.

Yeah, alsonot seeing anything saying they will build the offense around Henry. Titansonline made that leap. 
Sounds to me like the question was phrased that way.  "Do you plan on building the offense around Henry?"  "I think that is where the whole plan would like to start," Vrabel said.

We obviously still have the draft to get through, but is there anyone in here that really thinks the Titans *aren't* going to feature Henry? If you had to bet on it right now.

We obviously still have the draft to get through, but is there anyone in here that really thinks the Titans *aren't* going to feature Henry? If you had to bet on it right now.
I think people are over valuing him based on a small sample size of outliers. 

I do think he will be RB1 for the titans next year. whether they run the offense through him... I dont think so. that would be the 3rd offensive scheme in 3 years. I think they continue to try and implement the spread offense. Henry will be valuable and will have a good year as a rb2 in fantasy. I'd be more concerned about him in 2020... if he was that good and TEN planned to "feature" him, youd imagine they'd extend him this offseason. if he has as big of a season as all of you think he will, he will be the highest paid rb next year and price himself out of TEN, which might work in his favor... might not

I think people are over valuing him based on a small sample size of outliers. 

I do think he will be RB1 for the titans next year. whether they run the offense through him... I dont think so. that would be the 3rd offensive scheme in 3 years. I think they continue to try and implement the spread offense. Henry will be valuable and will have a good year as a rb2 in fantasy. I'd be more concerned about him in 2020... if he was that good and TEN planned to "feature" him, youd imagine they'd extend him this offseason. if he has as big of a season as all of you think he will, he will be the highest paid rb next year and price himself out of TEN, which might work in his favor... might not
This. I’m really hoping he puts together a decent year, and I think he will, but peoples expectations are more so based off his huge games without factoring in his other 14 garbage showings. I have a feeling those who didn’t have him last year will reach for him and those that did will gladly let them do so. 

I would fully expect Tennessee to draft a RB. Even if it is a 2nd/3rd round pick, I would have a hard time seeing them beat out Henry for the starting role. If it does happen that way then I guess I'll say I'm ready to eat crow.

I own Henry in two leagues. Drafted him in both and have not been able to acquire him anywhere else despite trying. I know there is a self bias here because I want him to succeed for my teams sake, but I really feel like he has been criminally underused. NFL coaches can be really stupid sometimes. I would hope they're ready to let him shine. I don't think the end of the year was a fluke. Ok that one monster game was. You know? The one where I didn't start him and I *would* have advanced another playoff round.

But all teams need multiple RBs. Would be more worried if they *didn't* have backs they were checking out. If they draft one early it will certainly get my attention.
Henry is a very good football player but he’s also a uniquely limited player. He has agility and quickness issues that are glaring. If we were to grade only the first 0.5 second of runs he’s one of the least effective backs in the league. I’ve also seen him display a lot of way below average pass blocking. On the flip side, he has incredible strengths. But he’s one of the players where the disconnect between the fantasy community and the NFL community’s evaluation of him is probably the highest. Fantasy players tend to zero in on the freakish size/speed metrics and the monstrous runs and ignore some of the coaching challenges of deploying a player with Henry’s limitations.

And that leads to a second point. According to this message board, pretty much every NFL coaching staff is stupid. Some of them are, but not nearly as many as fantasy players want to believe. I think you’ll get better results if you first assume that the coaches have reasons behind their decisions and try hard to figure out what those reasons might be. The stupid coach explanation should only be last resort thinking when you’ve exhausted all other possibilities. In Henry’s case I think you have to ignore a lot of tape to completely blame his lack of usage on coaches.

As far as 2019 goes, Henry profiles like a classic front runner. If the Titans are a good team and run plays are blocked cleanly he is the perfect back to amplify the results beyond what close to any other RB could deliver. There isn’t any RB in the draft or left in free agency that can threaten or come close to Henry’s effectiveness in “good” scenarios. On the other end of that spectrum, if the Titans struggle Henry has more downside than a normal top 20 RB and is vulnerable to getting outplayed by even a journeyman RB who plays better in the passing game and gets trapped in the backfield less.

That shouldn’t be a surprise considering Henry’s upside & the quality of the 2019 class.

Absolutely no way anyone should take 1.1 for Henry straight-up. It’s WAY light (even AFTER the draft). As far as any two picks, it’s a definite no right now. It’s possible I’d consider it after the draft once I see destinations, but not likely.

I would happily take the rookie that ends up in the best fantasy situation over Henry in one of the worst.
Henry is in a bad situation? Interesting.

It’s par at very worst & is likely to be considered in the plus category after the season (at minimum).

I think its hard to figure out the Titans offense. At times, seems like they have a pretty darn good QB. Other times, he looks more ike a steaming pile of dung. Same thing with their WR core ( I want to believe in Corey Davis but losing most of my hope for him) and Walker is good but so old he farts clouds of dust. Yeah, the more I think about it, Henry isn't in a great situation, but I think he has the potential to be a great back (if he can get 20+ carries a game) 

Possibly they are expecting one or more to fall. They had two highly  touted UDFAs last year in camp. Neither stuck

Users who are viewing this thread