What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Charcandrick WEST - Should we be talking about this kid ? (1 Viewer)

Chiefs working out Ben Tate and Pierre Thomas. Ray Rice rumors are flying around. People arguing West vs. Davis. This could be a huge mess.

Mixed bag of production, but there's quite a bit to like there. I'm not a Xs & Os guy like some of you, but he seemed to get what was blocked most of the time, with a few very nice runs scattered in. Hopefully he gets better with more reps.
In between the tackles running doesn't seem to be his strongest suit but I can confidently say Davis is worse in that regard. Davis has been one of the most inefficient RBs in between the tackles on his touches so the bar has been set pretty low.

IMO West is better athlete and the greater talent and it's showed on their touches. If West gets ~15 touches a game he's going to be a no-brainer RB2 in PPR with some upside depending on how the backfield develops.

Pierre would make a lot of sense for that offense, but neither he nor Tate are going to shave off any serious carries. Rice I don't believe.

I picked him up last week with the news that he's now the #2. Then the Charles injury over the weekend. People have some interest in trading for him, but what's his value right now? A 2016 2nd round rookie pick?
I think that's a fair asking price just 24 hours away from the injury. But I can see this value varying wildly in just a week or so. Imagine West explodes during his next start, then you'll be asking for at least a 1st. But if it's immediately a time share as guys above have predicted, then may be lucky to get that 2d you mentioned.
But Rotoworld just said the KCC are bringing in Ben Tate. Nobody thinks he's a difference maker, and they may just be kicking the tires on any kind of depth they can now; but that doesn't scream "we've got our guy locked in." It'll be a time share for the near term. I'm beginning to talk myself out of making a WW claim on West.
Why is there an obsession with Tate amongst NFL teams...so odd.

If we're going into the has-been pool to select a vet, Tim Hightower looked surprisingly good for the Saints this summer.

I still say have Thomas be 3rd down back(in addition to his WR role) and then use the position on somewhere else. Their CBs are not playing that well. Sign a CB. Can always use an extra DL or OL.

I really doubt whomever they sign does much of anything; these are two very good backups ready to play.

I picked him up last week with the news that he's now the #2. Then the Charles injury over the weekend. People have some interest in trading for him, but what's his value right now? A 2016 2nd round rookie pick?
I think that's a fair asking price just 24 hours away from the injury. But I can see this value varying wildly in just a week or so. Imagine West explodes during his next start, then you'll be asking for at least a 1st. But if it's immediately a time share as guys above have predicted, then may be lucky to get that 2d you mentioned.
But Rotoworld just said the KCC are bringing in Ben Tate. Nobody thinks he's a difference maker, and they may just be kicking the tires on any kind of depth they can now; but that doesn't scream "we've got our guy locked in." It'll be a time share for the near term. I'm beginning to talk myself out of making a WW claim on West.
Why is there an obsession with Tate amongst NFL teams...so odd.

If we're going into the has-been pool to select a vet, Tim Hightower looked surprisingly good for the Saints this summer.

I still say have Thomas be 3rd down back(in addition to his WR role) and then use the position on somewhere else. Their CBs are not playing that well. Sign a CB. Can always use an extra DL or OL.

I really doubt whomever they sign does much of anything; these are two very good backups ready to play.
I think he's still on their roster, but just inactive most weeks.

Was watching NFL channel today, it seemed Reid talked mostly about Knile Davis after being asked about the status of Charles. With regards to West, he didn't say as much, other than he was "getting better". If I had to go on what Reid just said, and could only have one, I'd lean Davis as having the primary role. If I had to go on recent game action, I'd have to lean West.

Was watching NFL channel today, it seemed Reid talked mostly about Knile Davis after being asked about the status of Charles. With regards to West, he didn't say as much, other than he was "getting better". If I had to go on what Reid just said, and could only have one, I'd lean Davis as having the primary role. If I had to go on recent game action, I'd have to lean West.
Even if Davis gets the start, there's no way he gets the volume he needs to be productive unless he looks like a different player than he has been lately. Plus, West is the better pass catcher and that is here Charles got a lot of his points.

Why is there an obsession with Tate amongst NFL teams...so odd.If we're going into the has-been pool to select a vet, Tim Hightower looked surprisingly good for the Saints this summer.

Hightower was cut by the Saints on September 15th and has not signed with anyone since then.

Even if Davis gets the start, there's no way he gets the volume he needs to be productive unless he looks like a different player than he has been lately. Plus, West is the better pass catcher and that is here Charles got a lot of his points.
Knile has been mediocre his entire career.

The only question on West is how much can he handle mentally (experience) and physically (size).

Rotoworld take:

Bleacher Report's Jason Cole reports Chiefs coach Andy Reid prefers Charcandrick West to Knile Davis as Jamaal Charles' (torn ACL) replacement.
West had taken over as Charles' backup leading up to the injury and should get the first crack at replacing the star runner. Cole cautions some in the organization believe Davis is a better fit as a featured runner, and Reid reportedly told both West and Davis they will see playing time. West is the better pickup of the two, but Davis needs to be added in most leagues as well.

Source: Bleacher Report
Oct 12 - 12:25 PM

I'm not disagreeing with you, but where are you getting your information that West is a better receiver? I seem to recall Davis being good himself as well.

Why is there an obsession with Tate amongst NFL teams...so odd.If we're going into the has-been pool to select a vet, Tim Hightower looked surprisingly good for the Saints this summer.

Hightower was cut by the Saints on September 15th and has not signed with anyone since then.
He stuck as long as Spiller was inactive, he did look good. Pierre is probably ready to go as well.

Knile has been mediocre his entire career.

The only question on West is how much can he handle mentally (experience) and physically (size).
No no. There is probably a 27 page thread here with people praising him.

He had a couple 100 yard games in 2014

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/D/DaviKn00/gamelog//

Don't discount pulling Charles and giving Davis the hard 3rd and 1 carry. That's not going to help his stats

I'm not disagreeing with you, but where are you getting your information that West is a better receiver? I seem to recall Davis being good himself as well.
Can't remember where I read it, but it was at more than one source. Could always be wrong I guess.Edit: Now that I think about it, it's probably because most consider Davis to be more of a between the tackles runner, where West seems to be more comparable to Charles and better in space.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reid's just trying to depress West's value so he can pick him up in his FF league.

Whomever is spending all their FAAB money on West could be in big trouble if a timeshare develops or if the Chiefs sign a free agent,,,i.e. Tate, Thomas, Ball or Bradshaw, plus the Bears are in a trading mood, maybe they'd deal Forte to the Chiefs.

So I'm in a quasi dynasty league (5 keepers). I have $96 left in FAAB. Am I crazy to use it all on West? My thinking is when Charles comes back he may not be an RB1 anymore with his age and 2 ACL injuries. Might be time to pass the torch?

Whomever is spending all their FAAB money on West could be in big trouble if a timeshare develops or if the Chiefs sign a free agent,,,i.e. Tate, Thomas, Ball or Bradshaw, plus the Bears are in a trading mood, maybe they'd deal Forte to the Chiefs.
Chiefs are 1-4, why would they be trading for another 29 year old RB?

We've focused a ton on West vs Knile as backups. What about the other option in dynasty: trading Charles for a short term piece for contenders or acquiring him for rebuilders. I'm a Charles owner and a contender. I immediately emailed the league letting folks know he's on the block and immediately received interest. That surprised me.

What type of player would you contenders target to trade for; and what should the rebuilders be looking to give? Does Charles have dynasty value anymore?
The Charles owner is a perennial contender. I'm a foster/west owner. A couple options I think are reasonableFoster/blue for Charles/Davis

Foster/blue for player/picks

West for player/picks

Foster/west for significant upgrade

West/receiver for significant upgrade

Foster is almost exactly the same age as Charles, so trading for Charles is probably the least attractive option of the bunch, especially with some risk that he doesn't come back next year or comes back to the geriatric half of a time share. It would certainly have to include Davis to get the deal done.

As a potential charles buyer, my fear is that I'm giving up a valuable thing for a potentially valuable thing, and the potentially valuable thing is 29 and injured.

As a potential west seller, my fear is that I'm giving up a guy who could be the next Charles. I know some people were high on Charles coming out, but he was hardly a sure thing when he got his shot. West was undrafted, but he was a small school guy with plus speed, who seems to have good vision and decent moves. He's gotten positive press for blocking in his limited action, and he got more positive coach speak than you'd expect a third string rb to get as he leap frogged over Davis. He's a good fit for a system that has produced some dominant rbs over the years.

As a Charles seller, I'd want some kind of immediate help if I were a contender (most Charles owners probably were). It's a tough sell, though, because you know the upside, yet the market for 29 year old running backs doesn't usually overlap with rebuilding teams who are selling useful parts right now. You're probably looking for the team with the best receivers in your league.

As a west buyer, i would be thrilled to get him for a rookie second. He's got more short and long term upside than most rentals.
Bump in case it's helpful or starts discussion

PatsWillWin said:
The league has spoken on Ball. The fact that he was released weeks ago and hasn't been picked up speaks volumes IMO.
And Pierre Thomas, Ben Tate and Tim Hightower. These guys aren't going to be a threat to touches for West and Davis. Its their time to sink or swim.

Dunno why people wouldn't be throwing most of their FAAB at West. The people that follow the team closely have been calling for him to move ahead of Davis. The coaching staff did so a couple weeks ago. Davis has shown some level of competency at the the NFL level, and the Chiefs feel that West is a better option. What more do you need?

What is the value of Dion Lewis right now? How about Justin Forsett or Devonta Freeman? West could lose his spot to Davis in the next couple weeks and be irrelevant by the end of the season. He could also be valued as a RB1 by the end of the season. He's flashed some talent, and the opportunity is right there in front of him.

I know it's not much but I do love how he turns the corner in his clips. I think there's going to be something there. I just don't have much FAAB left to throw but I will. I'm guessing or hoping there will be some underbidding on him.

On the Chiefs website they have Davis as the backup to Charles. Has that been recently changed?
Not if they're listing Davis, no. It's probably content from the summer
I could have sworn last week they had West behind Charles on their depth chart. Now it has Davis.
Right now it's Davis. On Sept. 23rd it was Davis too. Note it also says "Unofficial" depth chart.

On the Chiefs website they have Davis as the backup to Charles. Has that been recently changed?
I could have sworn last week they had West behind Charles on their depth chart. Now it has Davis.
Right now it's Davis. On Sept. 23rd it was Davis too. Note it also says "Unofficial" depth chart.
I know it says unofficial. Last week wasn't Sept 23rd, and it had West as the backup. Just an observation.

You shouldn't be using it like that in-season.

Watch, look at play by play, read, ask another fan

There's too many variables and roles and coaches that think a 53 man roster is so limiting.

Find out who came in for who, when. After enough repetitions, you've got your answer.

Easiest example is probably TE. A stone hand blocking TE is rarely ever the replacement if the receiving TE gets hurt. In your scenario of using the depth chart, you'd be picking up the blocking TE when what you want is the "next up" receiving TE,

You shouldn't be using it like that in-season.

Watch, look at play by play, read, ask another fan

There's too many variables and roles and coaches that think a 53 man roster is so limiting.

Find out who came in for who, when. After enough repetitions, you've got your answer.

Easiest example is probably TE. A stone hand blocking TE is rarely ever the replacement if the receiving TE gets hurt. In your scenario of using the depth chart, you'd be picking up the blocking TE when what you want is the "next up" receiving TE,
It is just an observation. I don't own any of the Chiefs RBs. I read last week that West had jumped Davis on the depth chart, and I looked, and it had been changed. Now it has changed back. That is all.

I hate to be a wet blanket but I have a bad feeling about that backfield. I think the BEST case scenario is a two-man even RBBC but it could also end up where 3-4 guys (D. Thomas and a FA) are splitting carries. Also, there seems to be a rift in the organization where Reid loves West but upper management prefers Davis. Lastly, KC is absolutely terrible this year and were not putting up a ton of points even with JC back there.

Not much to get excited about imo. :no:

Not a Charles owner but I picked up West a couple weeks ago and dropped Davis when I saw West was getting the backup carries. I'm happy I did so not really because of the value, but because I would have absolutely no idea how much to bid on him. This just seems potentially complicated, although after seeing Davis go from high value handcuff to getting zero carries, I think West wins out long term.

I hate to be a wet blanket but I have a bad feeling about that backfield. I think the BEST case scenario is a two-man even RBBC but it could also end up where 3-4 guys (D. Thomas and a FA) are splitting carries. Also, there seems to be a rift in the organization where Reid loves West but upper management prefers Davis. Lastly, KC is absolutely terrible this year and were not putting up a ton of points even with JC back there.

I think a relatively even RBBC may be the most likely scenario but certainly not best case. We really don't know what that is. Guys get opportunities and emerge all the time for stretches of the season that can have a major impact on FF. Look at Freeman and Dion Lewis for the early part of this year, Forsett and CJ Anderson last year. A guy like Moreno in 2013 or even the one great season Peyton Hillis had. Best case is that West or Davis emerge as a feature back and a viable FF play the rest of the season.

That said, I understand the caution. KC's offense has not looked great this year and Alex Smith is uninspiring to say the least. But there's a decent chance that there significant value here for the cost of a waiver wire pickup.

I already rostered West and have the #2 ww claim that I'm thinking about using on Davis who was just cut Sunday morning. I have a short bench in this league but to me its worth rostering both for a week or 2 to see how it plays out. Worst case is that neither looks to have sustainable value this season and you cut bait and move on.

I think a relatively even RBBC may be the most likely scenario but certainly not best case. We really don't know what that is. Guys get opportunities and emerge all the time for stretches of the season that can have a major impact on FF. Look at Freeman and Dion Lewis for the early part of this year, Forsett and CJ Anderson last year. A guy like Moreno in 2013 or even the one great season Peyton Hillis had. Best case is that West or Davis emerge as a feature back and a viable FF play the rest of the season.

That said, I understand the caution. KC's offense has not looked great this year and Alex Smith is uninspiring to say the least. But there's a decent chance that there significant value here for the cost of a waiver wire pickup.

I already rostered West and have the #2 ww claim that I'm thinking about using on Davis who was just cut Sunday morning. I have a short bench in this league but to me its worth rostering both for a week or 2 to see how it plays out. Worst case is that neither looks to have sustainable value this season and you cut bait and move on.
When I said "best case" I was saying that a RBBC is the best I can actually see it turning out. I don't envision either Davis or West taking the job and running with it. It'll be a mostly even split ROS.

I know it says unofficial. Last week wasn't Sept 23rd, and it had West as the backup. Just an observation.
Screencap or it didn't happen.

FAAB will be used for this guy. In the NFFC people are using 20-30% on worst players. Someone is going to use most of their FAAB I think on this guy, there aren't any players on the wire left basically.

FAAB will be used for this guy. In the NFFC people are using 20-30% on worst players. Someone is going to use most of their FAAB I think on this guy, there aren't any players on the wire left basically.
I'm expecting to see some 80% bids but I wouldn't go more than 50%.

A couple examples of FAAB insanity that I've seen this year in FPC leagues:

65% - James Jones

50% - Travis Benjamin

45% - Tavon Austin

40% - Anthony Dixon

30% - Kamar Aiken

25% - Dexter McCluster

20% - Jeff Janis

Users who are viewing this thread