What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Charcandrick WEST - Should we be talking about this kid ? (3 Viewers)

I hate to be a wet blanket but I have a bad feeling about that backfield. I think the BEST case scenario is a two-man even RBBC but it could also end up where 3-4 guys (D. Thomas and a FA) are splitting carries. Also, there seems to be a rift in the organization where Reid loves West but upper management prefers Davis. Lastly, KC is absolutely terrible this year and were not putting up a ton of points even with JC back there.

Not much to get excited about imo. :no:
I think a relatively even RBBC may be the most likely scenario but certainly not best case. We really don't know what that is. Guys get opportunities and emerge all the time for stretches of the season that can have a major impact on FF. Look at Freeman and Dion Lewis for the early part of this year, Forsett and CJ Anderson last year. A guy like Moreno in 2013 or even the one great season Peyton Hillis had. Best case is that West or Davis emerge as a feature back and a viable FF play the rest of the season.

That said, I understand the caution. KC's offense has not looked great this year and Alex Smith is uninspiring to say the least. But there's a decent chance that there significant value here for the cost of a waiver wire pickup.

I already rostered West and have the #2 ww claim that I'm thinking about using on Davis who was just cut Sunday morning. I have a short bench in this league but to me its worth rostering both for a week or 2 to see how it plays out. Worst case is that neither looks to have sustainable value this season and you cut bait and move on.
When I said "best case" I was saying that a RBBC is the best I can actually see it turning out. I don't envision either Davis or West taking the job and running with it. It'll be a mostly even split ROS.
So what was your BEST CASE scenario for Devonta Freeman or Dion Lewis this year? LeVeon Bell, DeMarco Murray, CJ Anderson, Justin Forsett or Jeremy Hill last year? Joique Bell or Knowshon Moreno in 2013?

There's a range of possible outcomes here. An unproductive RBBC is certainly possible. But let's not pretend that West doesn't have breakout potential.

I hate to be a wet blanket but I have a bad feeling about that backfield. I think the BEST case scenario is a two-man even RBBC but it could also end up where 3-4 guys (D. Thomas and a FA) are splitting carries. Also, there seems to be a rift in the organization where Reid loves West but upper management prefers Davis. Lastly, KC is absolutely terrible this year and were not putting up a ton of points even with JC back there.

I think a relatively even RBBC may be the most likely scenario but certainly not best case. We really don't know what that is. Guys get opportunities and emerge all the time for stretches of the season that can have a major impact on FF. Look at Freeman and Dion Lewis for the early part of this year, Forsett and CJ Anderson last year. A guy like Moreno in 2013 or even the one great season Peyton Hillis had. Best case is that West or Davis emerge as a feature back and a viable FF play the rest of the season.

That said, I understand the caution. KC's offense has not looked great this year and Alex Smith is uninspiring to say the least. But there's a decent chance that there significant value here for the cost of a waiver wire pickup.

I already rostered West and have the #2 ww claim that I'm thinking about using on Davis who was just cut Sunday morning. I have a short bench in this league but to me its worth rostering both for a week or 2 to see how it plays out. Worst case is that neither looks to have sustainable value this season and you cut bait and move on.
When I said "best case" I was saying that a RBBC is the best I can actually see it turning out. I don't envision either Davis or West taking the job and running with it. It'll be a mostly even split ROS.
So what was your BEST CASE scenario for Devonta Freeman or Dion Lewis this year? LeVeon Bell, DeMarco Murray, CJ Anderson, Justin Forsett or Jeremy Hill last year? Joique Bell or Knowshon Moreno in 2013?

There's a range of possible outcomes here. An unproductive RBBC is certainly possible. But let's not pretend that West doesn't have breakout potential.
:goodposting:

"Best case" scenario is that West lights it up and Knile gets very few carries as a result. Absolute worst-case scenario is that neither West nor Knile do well, and the 3rd stringer starts getting some touches. De'Anthony Thomas will not be getting any meaningful carries, not sure how many times I have to repeat myself on that one. KC would not be working out potential 3rd-stringers if they were comfortable giving him the ball out of the backfield. Hell, Maclin has lined up in the backfield more than Thomas has this year.

Not trying to be snarky or anything, but where are you getting the idea that there's a rift between Reid and the front office? Dorsey stays in the shadows as much as any GM I've seen - pretty much impossible to tell what he thinks on anything, really. Reid returns the favor by stepping aside and letting Dorsey handle things when it comes to free agency, the draft, etc. Say what you want about Reid's coaching lately, but he and Dorsey seem to be a very good GM/coach pair.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yes, there are always a range of outcomes but MY personal opinion, which ain't worth jack, is that I don't see KC being anything better than a RBBC this year. It's my humble opinion and sure anything can happen but I'm not going crazy trying to get West or Knile. I just don't see either of them breaking out.

FAAB will be used for this guy. In the NFFC people are using 20-30% on worst players. Someone is going to use most of their FAAB I think on this guy, there aren't any players on the wire left basically.
I'm expecting to see some 80% bids but I wouldn't go more than 50%.

A couple examples of FAAB insanity that I've seen this year in FPC leagues:

65% - James Jones

50% - Travis Benjamin

45% - Tavon Austin

40% - Anthony Dixon

30% - Kamar Aiken

25% - Dexter McCluster

20% - Jeff Janis
Other than the last two, they all seem to be worth it. :shrug:

"Best case" scenario is that West lights it up and Knile gets very few carries as a result. Absolute worst-case scenario is that neither West nor Knile do well, and the 3rd stringer starts getting some touches. De'Anthony Thomas will not be getting any meaningful carries, not sure how many times I have to repeat myself on that one. KC would not be working out potential 3rd-stringers if they were comfortable giving him the ball out of the backfield. Hell, Maclin has lined up in the backfield more than Thomas has this year.

Not trying to be snarky or anything, but where are you getting the idea that there's a rift between Reid and the front office? Dorsey stays in the shadows as much as any GM I've seen. Pretty much impossible to tell what he thinks on anything, really.
I've seen it reported in a few spots - here's one from Rotoworld:

Bleacher Report's Jason Cole reports Chiefs coach Andy Reid prefers Charcandrick West to Knile Davis as Jamaal Charles' (torn ACL) replacement.

West had taken over as Charles' backup leading up to the injury and should get the first crack at replacing the star runner. Cole cautions some in the organization believe Davis is a better fit as a featured runner, and Reid reportedly told both West and Davis they will see playing time. West is the better pickup of the two, but Davis needs to be added in most leagues as well. Oct 12 - 12:25 PM

I may not get either. Charles still hasn't hit the IR, so I still can't free up a roster spot. Anyone know when teams typically put players on IR?

Can someone please explain to me wtf happened with Davis?

Every time I rememeber Charles going down or out, Davis stepped in and impressed. Is West just that much better or has Davis fallen off that much?

I was expecting Davis to takeover as the feature back whenever Charles retired/was traded/suffered a big injury like this (not an owner of any KC player btw - just used to follow them when I lived there).

Yes, there are always a range of outcomes but MY personal opinion, which ain't worth jack, is that I don't see KC being anything better than a RBBC this year. It's my humble opinion and sure anything can happen but I'm not going crazy trying to get West or Knile. I just don't see either of them breaking out.
I'm in a 14 team league with devy players. I spent a late first on David Johnson and an early 2nd on Buck Allen in that league. Neither one of them is likely to see a genuine opportunity like this in the forseeable future. How much FAAB is that worth? I'd say quite a bit.

Not trying to be snarky or anything, but where are you getting the idea that there's a rift between Reid and the front office? Dorsey stays in the shadows as much as any GM I've seen. Pretty much impossible to tell what he thinks on anything, really.

Bleacher Report's Jason Cole reports Chiefs coach Andy Reid prefers Charcandrick West to Knile Davis as Jamaal Charles' (torn ACL) replacement.

West had taken over as Charles' backup leading up to the injury and should get the first crack at replacing the star runner. Cole cautions some in the organization believe Davis is a better fit as a featured runner, and Reid reportedly told both West and Davis they will see playing time. West is the better pickup of the two, but Davis needs to be added in most leagues as well. Oct 12 - 12:25 PM
Fwiw while I agree with this (or believe it anyway...) the source of this report is Jason Cole who IIRC used to be with Yahoo and is now with Bleacher Report:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2578359-insider-buzz-chiefs-split-on-west-vs-davis-to-replace-injured-rb-jamaal-charles?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=share&utm_campaign=web-des-art-top-159

It's really informed speculation and not actual reporting on his part.

Hmm - first I've seen anything like that reported. Seems very speculative. Even if it is true, though, the front office has (so far) let Reid do his thing - I don't think they try to force his hand here. If they do, it would certainly be an odd place to finally draw a line in the sand.

As a West owner, the one thing I'm somewhat worried about is goal line situations. Reid has said that West is the more Charles-like back, while Knile is the one-cut power guy. Reid never really used a GL RB when Charles was healthy, but that was Jamaal Charles. If West isn't very effective in power situations, things could become fairly frustrating with Knile vulturing scores. We'll have to see - West doesn't seem to be incompetent as a power back, it's just not his strong suit.

I picked him up last week with the news that he's now the #2. Then the Charles injury over the weekend. People have some interest in trading for him, but what's his value right now? A 2016 2nd round rookie pick?
I think that's a fair asking price just 24 hours away from the injury. But I can see this value varying wildly in just a week or so. Imagine West explodes during his next start, then you'll be asking for at least a 1st. But if it's immediately a time share as guys above have predicted, then may be lucky to get that 2d you mentioned.
But Rotoworld just said the KCC are bringing in Ben Tate. Nobody thinks he's a difference maker, and they may just be kicking the tires on any kind of depth they can now; but that doesn't scream "we've got our guy locked in." It'll be a time share for the near term. I'm beginning to talk myself out of making a WW claim on West.
Why is there an obsession with Tate amongst NFL teams...so odd.

If we're going into the has-been pool to select a vet, Tim Hightower looked surprisingly good for the Saints this summer.

I still say have Thomas be 3rd down back(in addition to his WR role) and then use the position on somewhere else. Their CBs are not playing that well. Sign a CB. Can always use an extra DL or OL.

I really doubt whomever they sign does much of anything; these are two very good backups ready to play.
Told ya-

Chiefs coach Andy Reid indicated Monday that De'Anthony Thomas could be an option at running back following Jamaal Charles' injury, Adam Teicher of ESPN reports.

Thomas made the change to wide receiver in the offseason, but could wind up taking some snaps at running back again. He hadn't touched the ball much during the first four weeks of the season, but did catch two passes for 24 yards on Sunday, finding paydirt for the first time this season. He also rushed one time, a number that could rise slightly moving forward. However, the Chiefs still have Charcandrick West and Knile Davis as the main options out of the backfield, and the team is expected to work out both Ben Tate and Pierre Thomas on Tuesday. Thomas would likely serve more as a change-of-pace back than anything else, and could receive a few carries out of the backfield, but he seems highly unlikely to see a huge uptick in touches because of the injury to Charles.

I'm not sure what more information we need other than this:

Snap count after Charles injury:

West 18

Davis 4
There's game situations to account for in a RBBC.

Davis is more strong and steady like and the team is more used to him. I could see him getting the rock the first series.

From there I think it'll be the hot hand.

West has this side step that I swear only the great ones do. It's really simple, really effective and geesh it's outstanding vision. He's never been a featured back in the NFL. The Vikings are a quietly good defense this year. Let's see if he's nervous and allow him to be at first. The following week they play the Steelers and that'll be a shootout.

Often times the painful part of being the hot hand is you need a break so the other guy gets the GL carries.

Thomas is the closest to Charles as far as the sudden jets. That guy can fly too. I don't think he's a featured back but McCluster 2.0. As mentioned above, play sparingly as 3rd down back. 3rd and long he's probably in. The other backs are fine receivers and with blitz pickup so he probably doesn't need to be in on typical 3rd downs. I wouldn't be surprised if one of the RBs is lined up in the slot (2 or 3 plays a game) when he comes in to play RB. Could get a LBer on them, hard for the D to look at the huddle and setup, dopey game within a game stuff Reid likes.

West needs to turn some heads (again) to have this not be RBBC. He is capable, but Davis filled in well for Charles last year and West is sort of the new guy hanging out with the cool kids for the first time. Let him get comfy and show he belongs. One week later is an awesome matchup

I picked him up last week with the news that he's now the #2. Then the Charles injury over the weekend. People have some interest in trading for him, but what's his value right now? A 2016 2nd round rookie pick?
I think that's a fair asking price just 24 hours away from the injury. But I can see this value varying wildly in just a week or so. Imagine West explodes during his next start, then you'll be asking for at least a 1st. But if it's immediately a time share as guys above have predicted, then may be lucky to get that 2d you mentioned.
But Rotoworld just said the KCC are bringing in Ben Tate. Nobody thinks he's a difference maker, and they may just be kicking the tires on any kind of depth they can now; but that doesn't scream "we've got our guy locked in." It'll be a time share for the near term. I'm beginning to talk myself out of making a WW claim on West.
Why is there an obsession with Tate amongst NFL teams...so odd.If we're going into the has-been pool to select a vet, Tim Hightower looked surprisingly good for the Saints this summer.

I still say have Thomas be 3rd down back(in addition to his WR role) and then use the position on somewhere else. Their CBs are not playing that well. Sign a CB. Can always use an extra DL or OL.

I really doubt whomever they sign does much of anything; these are two very good backups ready to play.
Told ya-Chiefs coach Andy Reid indicated Monday that De'Anthony Thomas could be an option at running back following Jamaal Charles' injury, Adam Teicher of ESPN reports.

Coach speak, nothing more.

Why is there an obsession with Tate amongst NFL teams...so odd.If we're going into the has-been pool to select a vet, Tim Hightower looked surprisingly good for the Saints this summer.

Told ya-Chiefs coach Andy Reid indicated Monday that De'Anthony Thomas could be an option at running back following Jamaal Charles' injury, Adam Teicher of ESPN reports.
Coach speak, nothing more.
Nah, cmon

2 backs isn't always enough.

We're talkin' a few carries not a lion's share

Many teams have a guy come in for a few carries as GL back or for a breather.

With his speed I assume 3rd and long

We're also talking about a roster spot. Do they sign someone for just a few carries or give them to Thomas and use the spot elsewhere? This is probably where the real value and reasoning is

Chiefs promoted RB Spencer Ware from the practice squad.
Ware's lone three career carries came for the Seahawks in 2013. More of a fullback than running back, Ware will slot in behind Charcandrick West, Knile Davis and De'Anthony Thomas in the absence of Jamaal Charles.
This is good news in the sense that it's now unlikely KC signs anyone. I did however like what I saw from Ware when he was in SEA but I think he's a much bigger threat to Davis then he is West.

Think Ware had quite a few supporters in here... Believe he was a Matt Waldman Favorite as well. Interesting guy to watch a la Jonas Gray if Davis is truly in the doghouse.

FAAB will be used for this guy. In the NFFC people are using 20-30% on worst players. Someone is going to use most of their FAAB I think on this guy, there aren't any players on the wire left basically.

65% - James Jones

50% - Travis Benjamin

45% - Tavon Austin

40% - Anthony Dixon

30% - Kamar Aiken

25% - Dexter McCluster

20% - Jeff Janis
I am going to bid just over 50% to keep everyone else in the league honest. I don't really need him but am willing to get rid of my backup QB to get him if it means keeping a potential stud off my opponents' teams.

65% - James Jones

50% - Travis Benjamin

45% - Tavon Austin

40% - Anthony Dixon

30% - Kamar Aiken

25% - Dexter McCluster

20% - Jeff Janis
I am going to bid just over 50% to keep everyone else in the league honest. I don't really need him but am willing to get rid of my backup QB to get him if it means keeping a potential stud off my opponents' teams.
Agreed, although I believe this will be a true RBBC for ROS the hype around for this kid on the interwebs is starting to weigh on me. I'm willing going 50% as well but am pretty sure I'll lose.

Rolling him out right away? Or holding back?

With Lat. Murray on a bye and just losing Charles...likely flexing him over Moncrief and Snead

Here's a list of potential backup rb not rostered in most leagues

Langford

Helu?

Reggie Bush? (Yuck)

Tre mason

Starks (probably rostered already)

McKinnon (or asiata?)

Andre or vereen?

Matthews (probably rostered )

C.a.p? Yuck

Colt rb?

Blue?

Denard (if he comes back soon)

Forsett backup

Damian Williams

B Powell

Of this list, the only ones I would consider going over 50% on would be Langford, helu (provided t Jones didn't enter rbbc), Tre mason, Starks. And Baltimore backup if clear lead established... So to me given importance of kc rb to their offense, west is worth a faab splash at this point in season

If we go with the assumption that West is the leading part of a RBBC here, anyone see any value into next season?

Is this more of a Branden Oliver situation or Willie Parker like ascent to dynasty league relevance?

If we go with the assumption that West is the leading part of a RBBC here, anyone see any value into next season?

Is this more of a Branden Oliver situation or Willie Parker like ascent to dynasty league relevance?
Jamaal is 29 (in December) and will be coming off a second ACL surgery. If West looks the part, then he should remain relevant in my opinion - even if he has to linger for another year behind Charles. Charles is clearly close to the end, and West is only signed through this season. Could cash in and start elsewhere if he looks good.

Jamaal is 29 (in December) and will be coming off a second ACL surgery. If West looks the part, then he should remain relevant in my opinion - even if he has to linger for another year behind Charles. Charles is clearly close to the end, and West is only signed through this season. Could cash in and start elsewhere if he looks good.
He's an exclusive rights free agent after this year. Basically the Chiefs hold all the cards.

No real way to accurately answer the Brandon Oliver or Willie Parker question right now. Really depends upon how good he is and how much this injury effects Jamaal Charles in 2016.

If West is the next Devonta Freeman and Charles loses a step there could be a changing of the guard. I'd say its more likely that West will take a back seat to Charles in 2016 however. Charles has been a special back throughout his career, maybe even a HOFer. Not easy to unseat that kind of talent.

He's an exclusive rights free agent after this year. Basically the Chiefs hold all the cards.

No real way to accurately answer the Brandon Oliver or Willie Parker question right now. Really depends upon how good he is and how much this injury effects Jamaal Charles in 2016.

If West is the next Devonta Freeman and Charles loses a step there could be a changing of the guard. I'd say its more likely that West will take a back seat to Charles in 2016 however. Charles has been a special back throughout his career, maybe even a HOFer. Not easy to unseat that kind of talent.
Googled Exclusive rights free agency since I really dont know what it means. Here is the definition I found:

EXCLUSIVE RIGHTS FREE AGENT (ERFA): A player whose contract has expired and has three or fewer tenured years in the league. His original team must make a contract offer by the league imposed deadline or the player becomes an unrestricted free agent. No compensation is awarded for losing EFAs.

So per that definition, to me it sounds like the Chiefs have to make him an offer before the deadline to keep him from from becoming unrestricted....but does he have to accept it? I assume he does not. If he doesnt accept the offer, what happens then? Pretty important in this situation because if he blows up this season, he could demand a hefty price on an open market and rid himself of having Charles in his way - if he is able to reach the open market.

Googled Exclusive rights free agency since I really dont know what it means. Here is the definition I found:

EXCLUSIVE RIGHTS FREE AGENT (ERFA): A player whose contract has expired and has three or fewer tenured years in the league. His original team must make a contract offer by the league imposed deadline or the player becomes an unrestricted free agent. No compensation is awarded for losing EFAs.

So per that definition, to me it sounds like the Chiefs have to make him an offer before the deadline to keep him from from becoming unrestricted....but does he have to accept it? I assume he does not. If he doesnt accept the offer, what happens then? Pretty important in this situation because if he blows up this season, he could demand a hefty price on an open market and rid himself of having Charles in his way - if he is able to reach the open market.
From Over the Cap:

Exclusive Rights Free Agent (ERFA)

I’m not even sure why these players are called free. These are the players with 2 or less seasons in the league, a status reserved almost solely for undrafted rookie type players. Once tendered they can only negotiate with their former team. The tender offer is only a one year non-guaranteed contract at the minimum salary level so most teams would use the ERFA designation on players who were on the roster late in the prior year and signed to a 1 year deal. Usually these offers are signed as soon as they are made since nothing is gained by waiting.

Then he's looking for a job in the real world.

If he could just decline and become an unrestricted FA, then he'd be called an unrestricted FA.

Rolling him out right away? Or holding back?

With Lat. Murray on a bye and just losing Charles...likely flexing him over Moncrief and Snead
I have him rostered in two dynasties in one I'm starting him (with Foster and Blount) over Gore (think NE will go way ahead early) and Chris Johnson in the other I have him benched and Lewis, Hyde and Gordon in the line-up.

Both are subject to change.

So basically whatever KC offers he has to either accept or leave the league? So they can offer league minimum with no consequences even if he rushes for 1200 yards and 10 TDs this season? Lame.

He does not play in the NFL. Basically he'll be a Chief next year so long as they want him to be.

So basically whatever KC offers he has to either accept or leave the league? So they can offer league minimum with no consequences even if he rushes for 1200 yards and 10 TDs this season? Lame.
Yes. In some ways he's really not truly a free agent, so just look at it that way and it will make you feel better. ;)

Dr. Octopus said:
ChuckLiddell said:
Yes. In some ways he's really not truly a free agent, so just look at it that way and it will make you feel better. ;)
Go it. Really not a free agent, like you said. Sorry to harp on this, but it is important in assessing his dynasty value. Can they hold him hostage on this contract past 2016, or will he become a free agent in 2016 barring the signing of a long term deal?

Dr. Octopus said:
ChuckLiddell said:
Go it. Really not a free agent, like you said. Sorry to harp on this, but it is important in assessing his dynasty value. Can they hold him hostage on this contract past 2016, or will he become a free agent in 2016 barring the signing of a long term deal?
I'm fairly certain he becomes at least a restricted free agent - but I think he will be an unrestricted free agent.

ChuckLiddell said:
I think this same scenario went down with Arian Foster after he broke out, and the Texans chose to pay him big for a long-term deal instead of a short deal for the minimum.

I spent the rest of my $100 faab ($55) on him. If nothing else, it keeps him off an opponents roster and I don't see any other scenarios coming up this season that would be as promising in our 22 player per roster league. WW is a desert.

Kitrick Taylor said:
ChuckLiddell said:
Kitrick Taylor said:
ChuckLiddell said:
treat88 said:

From Over the Cap:

Exclusive Rights Free Agent (ERFA)

I’m not even sure why these players are called free. These are the players with 2 or less seasons in the league, a status reserved almost solely for undrafted rookie type players. Once tendered they can only negotiate with their former team. The tender offer is only a one year non-guaranteed contract at the minimum salary level so most teams would use the ERFA designation on players who were on the roster late in the prior year and signed to a 1 year deal. Usually these offers are signed as soon as they are made since nothing is gained by waiting.
yeah two years not three

I have a feeling Spencer Ware is the name to be watching in this conversation.

THe Chiefs should give this thing a go for about 3-4 weeks and then they will realize they aren't able to contend and they will realize that West is not Charles and Ware is interchangeable with Davis (except has better Downhill power).

This team is going to look very different come week 11 than what we casually expect it look like under Reid.

LSU's 2012 rushing leaders:

1. Jeremy Hill - 2nd round pick, Bengals

2. Kenny Hilliard - 7th round pick, Texans

3. Michael Ford - UDFA, signed by Bears

4. Spencer Ware - 6th round pick, Seahawks - left after Jr. season

5. Alfred Blue - 6th round pick, Texans

6. Russell Shepherd - UDFA, signed by Bucs

Talented group.

Talented group.
Ouch. Hill is trending down as well.

Talented group.
Shepherd is WR and doesn't get much of a chance to play

Anyone else in league's that had FAAB waivers run already? Pretty much all in because I'm sitting on a garbage fire of RBs, but wonder if others are seeing a CMike type hype with big amounts thrown at him

Users who are viewing this thread