What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Jared Goff, DET (1 Viewer)

Yeah, I'm on the side of not overreacting to a couple bad weeks. That's actually when it can help you to not have the recency bias of having just watched a subpar prime time game. I think if he has a ho-hum 250-2 game it means Gurley is 150+ total and 2-3. I'll take that consistency. I'm expecting an outcome similar to the Chargers/Falcons games with Rams putting up 40+. If I can basically ensure I'm getting 5-6 TDs between my QB & RB I'm doing it.
I can see LAR hitting the gas no matter how much they go up, just to get their offense in sync. So if I had Gurley I'd probably start both also. I'll have to reassess and change my mind 200x before Sunday

If CMC bails me out tonight, I'm probably benching him for Matty Ice next week.  If I'd started Ryan yesterday I'd feel WAY more confident that next week is going to matter.

It’s so crazy. You all realize the Rams were the only team in the league to not have a 2 game losing streak over the past 2 years right?  Everyone needs to take a breath here. He looked bad the past 2 games no doubt, it happens. He’s a young QB (just turned 24 in Oct) cut the dude a break.  One was an elite D and the other was the world champs fighting for their playoff lives. He’ll bounce back just fine.  

I’m so confused.  Ryan @ Car or Goff @ Ari

I played Goff this week and it almost made me lose.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jared Goff completed 15-of-28 passes for 186 yards, zero touchdowns and zero interceptions in the Rams' 30-22, Divisional Round win over the Cowboys.

Goff's primary task was handing the ball off, as the Rams dialed up a whopping 48 runs, unveiling a two-headed attack between Todd Gurley and C.J. Anderson. When he was called on to throw, Goff uncorked some beauties but also some unsightly duds. FOX commentator Troy Aikman at one point called back-to-back throws "horrendous." Goff is going to be needed for more in the NFC Championship Game, especially if the Rams have to make the daunting trek to New Orleans.

Jan 13 - 12:02 AM

I still don’t think he’s very good when he’s pressured, but Dallas barely got any pressure on him. If NO or PHI get the kind of pressure on him that CHI and PHI did in the regular season, it won’t be pretty next week.

He’s a 2nd year QB against Belichick. What did you expect? Overreaction Monday has come early. 
Expected what I just saw. Way too inexperienced at both QB & HC to pull out a win without some Philly Special type plays. They were total vanilla. In way over their heads.

Expected what I just saw. Way too inexperienced at both QB & HC to pull out a win without some Philly Special type plays. They were total vanilla. In way over their heads.
This is why I’m still blown away by the line. The Pats gave less than a FG to a young head coach and a 2nd year QB? Never has their been easier money made. 

Actually, he's 3rd year NFL QB.  Brady won the superbowl in his 3rd year.

Goff was nothing but a deer in the headlights out there.
1st year or 4th year - it’s still a “rookie” against the genius. He had no chance. He’ll be back next year and make another push for the bowl. 

And Brady threw for 145 yards. Not exactly setting the world on fire. 

Jared Goff completed 19-of-38 passes for 229 yards, zero touchdowns and an interception in the Rams' 13-3, Super Bowl LIII loss to the Patriots.

Goff was overwhelmed and overmatched as the Rams' explosive offense did not look ready for prime time. It was a dismal end to an otherwise promising campaign. Another year removed from Jeff Fisher, Goff took another big step forward in 2018, finishing fourth in yards (4,688) and sixth in passing touchdowns (32). In some respects, the jury remains out. All quarterbacks post worse numbers against pressure, but Goff’s splits are jaw-dropping. The same is true for his home/road production. Goff is equally capable of hitting down-field bombs and air-balling mid-range jumpers. To a unique degree, he still needs to be managed and manipulated by coach Sean McVay. The fact that Goff can even be managed and manipulated puts him ahead of a good number of his peers, however. The story of the final two years of Goff’s rookie contract will be how much he improves vs. how much the league adjusts to McVay’s system. Goff will enter 2019 as a safe QB1 in fantasy.

Goff was nothing but a deer in the headlights out there.
 If Brady is the benchmark everyone is in trouble. Absolutely nobody measures up. Oh yeah and then there’s that Belichick guy. 

Just a bad game at the worst possible time for Goff. Yes, the BB factor had him off balance and puzzled, but the o-line was quite porous tonight. Two big (NON) plays were probably 100% his fault though... he was late to find Brandin Cooks in the end zone (allowing the DB to close and make the play), and forced the deep pass into coverage with wide open WR crossing a completely open field on 2nd & 20 in 4th QTR. Just wasn't seeing the field tonight.

The Rams defense played a great game.  Such a shame they had Goff as their QB.  That's like bringing a knife to a gun fight.  Did the Rams possess the ball in the red zone even once?
No. Zero (0) RZ snaps for Rams. 4th team in SB history with zero.

And a total of one (1) for the Patriots. 5th team in SB history with only one... and the only team on a list of 9 with 1 or 0 RZ snaps to WIN the game.

So if a QB cant ompare to Brady, they are no good? Come on man... 

Dan Marino made it to the super bowl in his second year and lost. What a bum

Elway lost in his 4th, 5th, 7th years. Loser. Get him out of the HOF now. 

I could go on.

So much overreaction going on here. 

Things that are true: Goff had a really bad game, Goff is not an elite QB.

Things that are not true: Goff sucks, Goff cost the Rams a title.

This post hit the nail on the head.

Goff is terrified of getting hit. Any hint of a rush & he is done. That's why he will never be even an average qb.
Stop, just stop.  There are tons of examples of him standing tall in the pocket and taking big hits.  Every single QB gets happy feet and throw off their back foot when pressure starts to become consistent.  He was rattled yesterday no question.  Belichick had McVay and Goff’s number yesterday plain and simple, it’s far from the first time he’s done that to a team and won’t be the last.  Credit where credits due.  

Stop, just stop.  There are tons of examples of him standing tall in the pocket and taking big hits.  Every single QB gets happy feet and throw off their back foot when pressure starts to become consistent.  He was rattled yesterday no question.  Belichick had McVay and Goff’s number yesterday plain and simple, it’s far from the first time he’s done that to a team and won’t be the last.  Credit where credits due.  
I kind of agree but it’s been a month or two of struggles, not one game.

I kind of agree but it’s been a month or two of struggles, not one game.
No doubt, and in that time he’s lost his security blanket (Kupp) and Gurley stopped being Gurley (whatever the reason).   He’s clearly not elite yet (if he ever becomes that) but he’s also not a bum.  He’s 24 with a ton of growing in front of him.  I think the future is pretty bright.  

I think it’s hilarious that the broadcast didn’t destroy him for missing that Cooks TD read. He literally ran wide open for 40 yds and Goff was so late that the backside DB broke it up. Interesting that they could have embarrassed him but refused.

Just watched some low lights on NFL network. Just horrible coaching and adjusting to the D by the Rams staff. I would not put that failure on a 23 year old QB in his first deep run towards a SB. The RBs were wide open for easy 5 yard gains but instead, they never told Goff to check down when the pats bring the pressure. That's their job and they failed miserably. CJ Anderson waving his arms 'throw it to me , I'm wide ####in open'.

I have goff and mayfield as keepers at qb.  Midseason I couldn't be happier...now I realize those guys will make or break my season.  I'm still not going to draft anyone but man did Goff look ugly down the stretch

Just watched some low lights on NFL network. Just horrible coaching and adjusting to the D by the Rams staff. I would not put that failure on a 23 year old QB in his first deep run towards a SB. The RBs were wide open for easy 5 yard gains but instead, they never told Goff to check down when the pats bring the pressure. That's their job and they failed miserably. CJ Anderson waving his arms 'throw it to me , I'm wide ####in open'.
Does a QB really need to be told to go to his hot read when he is being pressured?  Goff was simply afraid of being hit.  He would look at his first read and then look at the rush, instead of going through his progressions or going straight to the dump off.  I honestly thought they should have subbed him off in the 3rd quarter, but I don't know who the backup is (could he have done worse?).

That was the worse QB'd game I have seen in quite a while, and probably the worse one in the Superbowl.

Does a QB really need to be told to go to his hot read when he is being pressured?  Goff was simply afraid of being hit.  He would look at his first read and then look at the rush, instead of going through his progressions or going straight to the dump off.  I honestly thought they should have subbed him off in the 3rd quarter, but I don't know who the backup is (could he have done worse?).

That was the worse QB'd game I have seen in quite a while, and probably the worse one in the Superbowl.
Please. How about John Elway in 1997 (12/22/123, 0/1)? Or John Elway in 1992 (11/21/121, 0/1)? Or John Elway in 1990? (10/26/108, 0/1). Or John Elway in 1987 (14/38/257, 1/3)? 

The throw to Cooks was late but Cooks still should have caught it. Not to mention the other throw at the goal line to Cooks where there should have been PI (a bit of justice there), and Cooks still should have caught it. 

Goff needs to be quicker on his reads, no question. 

Please. How about John Elway in 1997 (12/22/123, 0/1)? Or John Elway in 1992 (11/21/121, 0/1)? Or John Elway in 1990? (10/26/108, 0/1). Or John Elway in 1987 (14/38/257, 1/3)? 

The throw to Cooks was late but Cooks still should have caught it. Not to mention the other throw at the goal line to Cooks where there should have been PI (a bit of justice there), and Cooks still should have caught it. 

Goff needs to be quicker on his reads, no question. 
I agree with everything here except the bolded.  That was an outstanding break up that I don't expect to be caught.   The goal line PI one I completely agree should have been caught, despite the PI.

Yep ... This is why teams shouldnt be so quick to Draft QBs with High 1st round picks ... they very rarely work out.

I never put a whole hell of a lot into any QB those first 4/5 seasons, other than can they stay healthy.

Look at all the legends/greats most got better with time, this will be no different, Goff did great for where he is in a career.

People forget he threw one pass to Cooks that should have been a PI, if that had been called....hmmm?

13-3 not 33-3.

Speaking Friday, Rams COO Kevin Demoff said Carson Wentz's new contract won't influence the team's timeline for extending Jared Goff.

The Rams undoubtedly took notice of Wentz's four-year, $128 million extension, but it doesn't sound like they're in any rush to work out a similar deal with Goff. "They seem to be on a different timetable than we are," said Demoff via Gary Klein of the Los Angeles Times. "I don’t think we’re naïve enough to say that Carson signing is not relevant. I just don’t think it changes the timing." Goff, who was drafted one pick before Wentz in 2016, threw for the league's fourth-most yards last season while also setting career-highs in touchdowns (32), completion percentage (64.9) and yards per attempt (8.36).

RELATED: 

Carson Wentz

SOURCE: Gary Klein on Twitter

Jun 7, 2019, 2:57 PM ET

Speaking with NFL.com's Mike Silver, Rams coach Sean McVay said there was a "zero percent chance" the team did not extend Jared Goff's contract.

McVay said he was "fed up" with talk that the Rams might pursue greener pastures at quarterback. "All the narratives out there are wrong," McVay said. "Jared and I couldn't be more connected, and I couldn't be more appreciative of him as our leader. ... That extension will get done. It's a matter of if, not when." That's as unambiguous as an NFL coach is ever going to get. The thinking has gone that McVay is such a master that he might prefer a quarterback with a higher baseline than Goff's, but he is understandably confident he can win a Super Bowl with the No. 1 overall pick of the 2016 draft.

SOURCE: Mike Silver on Twitter

Jun 13, 2019, 2:37 PM ET

[Silver] Rams QB Jared Goff has agreed to a four-year contract extension with the team that drafted him first overall in 2016. He will now be signed through the 2023 season.

https://twitter.com/mikesilver/status/1169038732604784643?s=21

Ian Rapoport@RapSheet

The #Rams and QB Jared Goff are expected to execute a 4-year deal that is trending toward the largest guarantee in NFL history, source said.

5:10 PM - 3 Sep 2019

If Cooper Kupp stay's healthy and if Gurley isn't the TD machine he has been in the past I think Goff could have a huge year.

Makes sense to get it done now.  Waiting any longer and Dak’s deal just pushes the number higher.  Unfortunately this is just the going rate now and only going higher.  

Users who are viewing this thread