What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Christian McCaffrey, SF (4 Viewers)

I can get on board with a Sproles-type role for McCaffrey. 
Ideally he has a Sproles+ role.  Hopefully 150-200 carries a year and 60+ catches, double-digit TD's on a good year..  In a PPR that's a very sufficient RB2.  I agree with petekrum that he's unlikely to be a stud.  Not because he's white, I think his athleticism is fine, I just think his size and all around-skill set will resolve to a more all-around role like Sproles.  Brian MItchell is who I picture and in today's NFL he'd probably get a lot more chances to touch the ball from scrimmage than he did in the days of bellcows.  Really Reggie Bush is really the perfect comp, he just couldn't stay healthy.

I have him ranked #11 right now but I think after the dust settles he'll end up 6 or 7 for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I expect the team drafting him to not even attempt to make him a 3 down back. I see him getting Reggie Bush'ed.
I couple see him as a three down "Player" as a slot receiver/running back hybrid (maybe 5-10 carries a game and 8-12 passing targets a game). He'd be great in a hurry up offense where they could split him out in an empty backfield or line him up in the backfield. I'm sure Belichick would love this guy but I don't see the Patriots willing to draft him as high as some others will. 

Former scout, Daniel Jeremiah's take from NFL.com:

"McCaffrey has also been a very productive punt and kickoff returner during his career. As a runner, he is very patient to let his blocks develop. His style is very similar to Le'Veon Bell's. Once he chooses his running path, he has a burst through the hole and has the lower strength to run through arm tackles. He isn't really a drop-the-shoulder power runner but he steps through a lot of tackles and he's very elusive at the second and third levels. He is outstanding as a receiver. He can line up in the slot and run crisp routes, generating separation and naturally catching the ball. He has improved in pass protection but that is still a work in progress. In the return game, he is fearless and his combination of vision, burst and toughness has produced several big plays during his career. Overall, I don't envision McCaffrey as solely a running back. He can do his damage with 20 touches a game, but they need to come in a variety of ways. His versatility is what makes him special."

He may have a running style similar to Le'Veon Bell, but he's 35 lbs lighter and that is his biggest problem with the transition to the NFL as a pure RB.  He's got a place on a team for sure, it just depends on the capacity they use him.  Reggie Bush/Percy Harvin, just a little less dynamic of an athlete.

I'm guessing McCaffery weighs in around 210, runs a high 4.4 or low 4.5, and kills the explosion and agility drills. He'll be very impressive and fluid in the receiving drills. But his biggest asset might be his interviews, which we won't get much info on. Some team is going to fall in love with him at the combine.

I believe Bell played at about 225 this past year.
You are probably right.  He was 230 at the combine but was listed at 244 during the season as a rookie by the Steelers.  His weight is all over the place.  McCaffrey obviously doesn't have his frame but at 6', a RB likely needs to carry 225 lbs plus to be an effective runner between the tackles or have sub 4.4 speed and good lateral quickness to avoid hits. McCaffrey is closer to Chris Johnson and Jamaal Charles in terms of height / weight than he is to Bell.  If he runs a 4.24 - 4.36, I'll be a believer.

McCoy was 5'10" 198 lbs at the combine, and then put up pretty miserable speed/agility/explosion metrics at his pro day (don't remember if it was due to injury or what--just looked and while 4.5 isn't special and 29" is an awful broad, his 3-cone and shuttle was pretty good). Either way his numbers clearly didn't match what he put on tape in college and a lot of people were able to buy low after his so-so rookie year. But nobody would argue that McCoy ever ran a 4.3. 

Anyways my point is, assuming McCaffery is a little shorter than listed, he's actually bigger than McCoy and will test better. Obviously McCoy has filled out in the NFL but so will McCaffery. Don't see why McCoy can't be the goal here (even if they aren't the perfect skill-set comparison, my point is McCaffery isn't too small).

Another thing to think about is that like his father, McCaffery is a freak when it comes to taking care of his body. Even if he was smaller, I wouldn't be that worried. But he's not too small to begin with imo.

Shady was battling the flu at the time and didn't participate in any running/movement events at the combine, which would also explain his 198.  I think he benched and that was it.  All of his times and and explosive measurables in '09 were done at his pro day where he weighed in at 204, but he played closer to 209 - 210 that year and has stayed mostly in that weight range, if not a bit heavier. The thing with weight is that it matters where on the body that weight is located. Shady looks thick where I think RBs should be thick, lower body.  

What Shady also has, which I think differs from McCaffery, are very quick feet which he uses right out of the blocks in that first 10 to 20 yds and he's a very elusive and shifty runner in tight spaces. McCaffery has different speed to me. He looks like more of a long speed guy. That's not a bad thing, it's just different than Shady. I think he'll probably run mid to low 4.5s and maybe even tip into the high 4.4s but it looks like it's more of a build-up speed than immediate.

BTW, you can count me as an immediate believer in McCoy. I bought and drafted him everywhere I could in dynasty because of how he looked on tape at Pitt and that he was inline to be Westy's replacement in Andy Reid's scheme. He was clearly a dynamic player with a well rounded skill set and landed in the perfect spot to feature that. Maybe McCaffrey lands in the ideal scenario as well, in which case you have to bump him a bit. I just don't think he's a "can't miss" prospect as a pure / featured RB.

Shady was battling the flu at the time and didn't participate in any running/movement events at the combine, which would also explain his 198.  I think he benched and that was it.  All of his times and and explosive measurables in '09 were done at his pro day where he weighed in at 204, but he played closer to 209 - 210 that year and has stayed mostly in that weight range, if not a bit heavier. The thing with weight is that it matters where on the body that weight is located. Shady looks thick where I think RBs should be thick, lower body.  

What Shady also has, which I think differs from McCaffery, are very quick feet which he uses right out of the blocks in that first 10 to 20 yds and he's a very elusive and shifty runner in tight spaces. McCaffery has different speed to me. He looks like more of a long speed guy. That's not a bad thing, it's just different than Shady. I think he'll probably run mid to low 4.5s and maybe even tip into the high 4.4s but it looks like it's more of a build-up speed than immediate.

BTW, you can count me as an immediate believer in McCoy. I bought and drafted him everywhere I could in dynasty because of how he looked on tape at Pitt and that he was inline to be Westy's replacement in Andy Reid's scheme. He was clearly a dynamic player with a well rounded skill set and landed in the perfect spot to feature that. Maybe McCaffrey lands in the ideal scenario as well, in which case you have to bump him a bit. I just don't think he's a "can't miss" prospect as a pure / featured RB.
Have you watched McCaffrey? All his brilliance comes in tight spaces. To say he isn't shifty and only has long speed is way off, imo. When you return KOs for TDs, that's more of a display of quickness and shiftiness than long speed. As I read your post I found myself doubting your ability to evaluate. 

Rhythmdoctor said:
Have you watched McCaffrey? All his brilliance comes in tight spaces. To say he isn't shifty and only has long speed is way off, imo. When you return KOs for TDs, that's more of a display of quickness and shiftiness than long speed. As I read your post I found myself doubting your ability to evaluate. 
You mean these? http://draftbreakdown.com/players/christian-mccaffrey/   Yeah, I watched the '16 games.  I do my best to just watch and take notes as unbiasedly as I can but we all see things differently.

You wouldn't be alone if you doubted me and that's ok.  I'm really not saying the guy is hot garbage, just not an elite talent for a RB at that height/weight.  6', 202 lbs is an uphill climb as a RB in the NFL without some special athletic qualities and his lateral skills just are not jumping off the screen at me. If they are to you, well ok. He moves more like I expect from a 215-225 lb back. If he were 225 with that quickness and speed I would be a buyer because his mass would move piles, wear down defenses, and make DBs and LBs pay for hitting him. At that weight, he is the one who pays the price in a collision. Believe me though, I am not writing the guy off at all. I'm a big fan of his dad and hope he has as much or more success than Eddie. I just think he is a good athlete without a definitive position in the NFL which isn't really a good thing in terms of fantasy football.

Rhythmdoctor said:
I agree with a lot of what you're saying but not this.  There are lots of long striders with good speed that are good kick returners.  Cordarrelle Patterson, for instance.

You mean these? http://draftbreakdown.com/players/christian-mccaffrey/   Yeah, I watched the '16 games.  I do my best to just watch and take notes as unbiasedly as I can but we all see things differently.

You wouldn't be alone if you doubted me and that's ok.  I'm really not saying the guy is hot garbage, just not an elite talent for a RB at that height/weight.  6', 202 lbs is an uphill climb as a RB in the NFL without some special athletic qualities and his lateral skills just are not jumping off the screen at me. If they are to you, well ok. He moves more like I expect from a 215-225 lb back. If he were 225 with that quickness and speed I would be a buyer because his mass would move piles, wear down defenses, and make DBs and LBs pay for hitting him. At that weight, he is the one who pays the price in a collision. Believe me though, I am not writing the guy off at all. I'm a big fan of his dad and hope he has as much or more success than Eddie. I just think he is a good athlete without a definitive position in the NFL which isn't really a good thing in terms of fantasy football.
Fair enough. Thanks for the additional comments. 

There was a video posted on Twitter of McCaffrey running the 40. I have him at 4.60 with 1.63 10-yard split.  McCaffrey didn't have great form. Looked too upright, not relaxed. He could probably hit 4.50 with better form.

There was a video posted on Twitter of McCaffrey running the 40. I have him at 4.60 with 1.63 10-yard split.  McCaffrey didn't have great form. Looked too upright, not relaxed. He could probably hit 4.50 with better form.
Link?

Can you post a link to the video Xue? This one of those videos where the angle on the finish line is brutal and you guess where the run ends before counting up the frames? 

The original tweet was deleted, but I have it uploaded here: http://www.mediafire.com/file/hot1qfc93xh5vx3/McCaffrey+40.mp4

I'd say the finish is clear in this particular video.  But, as I said, he didn't look to have good form.  I think most of these trainers ruin guys more often than not.

There was also a video posted of his Vertical and Broad Jump, both also deleted.  But someone on Twitter posted they heard his broad jump was 9'8" from the audio. https://twitter.com/Marcus_Mosher/status/829734611693555717

I have him at 4.68.  And he was way slower in the 10-yard split.  1.74.  Super upright.

I don't think 'speed' when I watch McCaffrey. I won't be shocked if he's in the upper 4.5s and it won't discourage me from drafting him either. McCaffrey's strengths are his ELITE vision and rushing angles. He's also very quick in a cluster of people. When I watch him run he always takes THE best angles. His vision might be the best I've seen. He's like Anakin Skywalker in that he sees holes and angles a second or 2 before they open up. THAT is what separates him from the pack, imo. He doesn't make a lot of ankle breaking cuts because he's 2 seconds ahead of everyone else. That's why he might not 'pop' on tape for some because he makes it look so effortless

My $.02

kOOk said:
I have him at 4.68.  And he was way slower in the 10-yard split.  1.74.  Super upright.
Jeff Legwold Verified account @Jeff_Legwold

NFL GM just asked me if I knew what C. McCaffrey ran in 40 at Combine rehearsal Thurs. - I told him in 4.4s & he really liked sound of that.

I don't think 'speed' when I watch McCaffrey. I won't be shocked if he's in the upper 4.5s and it won't discourage me from drafting him either. McCaffrey's strengths are his ELITE vision and rushing angles. He's also very quick in a cluster of people. When I watch him run he always takes THE best angles. His vision might be the best I've seen. He's like Anakin Skywalker in that he sees holes and angles a second or 2 before they open up. THAT is what separates him from the pack, imo. He doesn't make a lot of ankle breaking cuts because he's 2 seconds ahead of everyone else. That's why he might not 'pop' on tape for some because he makes it look so effortless

My $.02
I tend to agree with this and I'll add that he displays elite patience, particularly for a young RB. Reminds me a bit of Le'Veon Bell in that regard. Sometimes he will just kind of stand behind his offensive lineman waiting for a hole to open up but when it does he hits it with extreme precision and burst and a lot of times what looks like a pretty unspectacular run will still go for five six or seven yards.

This guy is not a 4.6 guy

Beautiful patience and vision along with burst and more than enough speed.  Elite hands.  Want him a little bigger than 200lbs if he's really 6'0, but that's the only knock.  Will be interesting to see his height/weight at the combine.  Don't really need to see anything else, honestly.

ETA -- Sick moves and some top level speed
This sums up my views perfectly. If he can bulk up to 212-215 without losing any short area qickness, that would be ideal. 

Hmmmm, likened to Toby gerhart to leveon bell to Darren sproles. Quite polarizing. I think his success will largely be tied to where he is drafted. He understands the game, works hard, and IF he has less than ideal weight/athleticism he can overcome it to a point. If he has an OC that isn't creative enough to use him and tries to pound him between the tackles he won't have success. Chan Gailey finds ways to utilize his personnel, Jeff Fischer uses his junior high school playbook. A bad coach can waste a good talent and a good coach can make a star out of average talent. 

Arodin said:
I'm sure he meant "from 2.1 to 1.x" but I thought the same thing you did at first...

Maybe he meant "to the 2016 draft."  -1.1?
Thanks. 

Yes, an additional first round pick as opposed to convincing someone to give me a ransom for the 1.01

ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr. wrote that he views Stanford RB Christian McCaffrey as an every-down back.
McCaffrey's draft position is one of the hardest to gauge in this 2017 pool. There is no denying his statistical production at Stanford, but as one AFC personnel director said near the end of December, some teams are likely going to view him as more of a complimentary or third-down cog rather than a bellcow. Kiper, for one, is all in on McCaffrey as a centerpiece in the NFL. On his most recent Big Board, the longtime ESPN draft analyst slots the 6-foot, 202-pounder in at No. 16.

Source: ESPN Insider 
Feb 11 - 2:50 PM

That's a load of crock.

What's a load of crock?  That he turned a sub 4.5 40, that a GM liked that, or that Legwold talked to a GM?

McCaffrey is already on record with a laser timed 4.50 40 last year, so I'd have to guess it's one of the latter two.

I love this kid. My guess is he will probably be better as an actual NFL player than as a fantasy asset. Don't think he is selected in the first round. Would be surprised if he didn't go somewhere in round 2. He's a football player. He probably will never be a bellcow back but certainly will have a big role on an NFL team.

The quote that struck me as odd:

"You know (he's going to be compared) to Marshall Faulk, but I see him more like Brian Westbrook. He is a change-of-pace back and a returner. He will make some plays, but I don't think he can be your No. 1 guy." -- NFC area scout

Westbrook was a bell cow with the eagles for multiple years. Some of these guys just speak to hear themselves heard. 

What's a load of crock?  That he turned a sub 4.5 40, that a GM liked that, or that Legwold talked to a GM?

McCaffrey is already on record with a laser timed 4.50 40 last year, so I'd have to guess it's one of the latter two.
That McCaffrey ran a 4.4 in the video I posted.

That McCaffrey ran a 4.4 in the video I posted.
So the scout was talking about that exact 40?  You don't think the possibility exists that McCaffrey has run more than one 40 while training for the combine?  And that it's possible for him to have run a 4.Xue in one 40 while running a 4.4X in another?

Users who are viewing this thread