What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Luke McCaffrey, WAS (1 Viewer)

Jim Nagy
Not sure how we've gotten to pro-day season and there's still such little buzz on younger brother of reigning NFC Offensive POY.

Usually siblings get over-hyped but Rice's Luke McCaffrey continues to fly under radars, even after strong @seniorbowl week and Combine.

𝑵𝑶𝑩𝑶𝑫𝒀 in this WR class works middle of field better than him. Dude is completely unfazed & has uncanny feel for someone who's only played wideout for two years.

QB background allows him to process on the fly & run full-speed thru zone voids like he does here:

🧵1/4
#TheDraftStartsInMOBILE™️

Not saying Rice WR Luke McCaffrey is going to put up fantasy numbers like Puka Nacua did last year - no receiver in history of league has - but McCaffrey has as close to Puka's nuanced QB-friendly game as anyone in this loaded WR class.

Went back and watched Puka's BYU tape yesterday and it's more subtleties than wow factor.

Biggest similarities are route feel, elite toughness, and highly dependable small-window catching skills.

And we're also not talking enough about Luke's ridiculous Combine (fastest SS & second-best 3C). If we're just doing the testing comp thing with Puka, the RAS 💣 isn't close.

🧵2/4

Rice's Luke McCaffrey is prime example why NFL scouts (and @seniorbowl) watch junior tape in offseason.

No receiver in this year's class made bigger jump over past year than @mccaffrey_luke.

One of big reasons Puka Nacua transitioned so quickly as a pro is because he immediately gained trust factor with Matthew Stafford.

McCaffey's tape is littered with contested/heavy-contact plays like this. 👀

🧵3/4

If we're just looking for a converted QB with elite ball skills player comp for Luke McCaffrey, it's Raiders' ultra-dependable vet Jakobi Meyers.

We thought Meyers had best contested ball skills in 2019 WR class and he still somehow shockingly went undrafted.

Meyers is a guy that you can just "throw it up" to and McCaffrey has that same knack.

We liked/appreciated McCaffrey's game the more we watched him.

🧵4/4

Crazy how many good W/SR and OL prospects there are in this draft. The QB class is overshadowing them, but the wides, slots and uglies run elite and deep this year.

@32BeatWriters
“Washington’s depth chart is questionable beyond Terry McLaurin and Jahan Dotson, meaning there’s an immediate opening for McCaffrey if he has a strong training camp. He and fellow rookie, quarterback Jayden Daniels, used the spring to develop a rapport, arriving at the practice facility ahead of everyone else.”

Scott Barrett
Working through my rankings and can't stop thinking about how many times* @JimNagy_SB** has told me "Luke McCaffrey is this year's Puka Nacua."

*at least 3 times
**the Director of the Senior Bowl / former scout of multiple Super Bowl-winning teams

Keith Flemming
It wouldn’t shock me. He was really impressive at the Senior Bowl playing a position he’s still relatively new to playing. I asked him at the senior Bowl if he felt pressure in living up to the family name. I love his answer, he said it was a gift. He knows how to prepare, practice, and succeed at the next level.

Scott Barrett
Working through my rankings and can't stop thinking about how many times* @JimNagy_SB** has told me "Luke McCaffrey is this year's Puka Nacua."

*at least 3 times
**the Director of the Senior Bowl / former scout of multiple Super Bowl-winning teams

Keith Flemming
It wouldn’t shock me. He was really impressive at the Senior Bowl playing a position he’s still relatively new to playing. I asked him at the senior Bowl if he felt pressure in living up to the family name. I love his answer, he said it was a gift. He knows how to prepare, practice, and succeed at the next level.
With Dotson traded . . . is he now worth drafting . . . on the clock now and deciding between him and shakir . . .

Scott Barrett

*at least 3 times

Keith Flemming
With Dotson traded . . . is he now worth drafting . . . on the clock now and deciding between him and shakir . . .
My decision would be Shakir. But that's without doing any research. So take that for what it's worth.

Scott Barrett

*at least 3 times

Keith Flemming
My decision would be Shakir. But that's without doing any research. So take that for what it's worth.
that's what i'm leaning . . . it's a keeper league and the Mcaffrey name shouldn't matter . . . but it gets in your mind . . . Is he the next steal?
Shakir has a better qb and a more clear path to targets . . . but it's also year 3 and he has flashed, but hasn't broken out . . . but he flashed and the depth chart ahead of him has now cleared. . . my mind changes every 1.3 seconds

Scott Barrett

*at least 3 times

Keith Flemming
that's what i'm leaning . . . it's a keeper league and the Mcaffrey name shouldn't matter . . . but it gets in your mind . . . Is he the next steal?
Shakir has a better qb and a more clear path to targets . . . but it's also year 3 and he has flashed, but hasn't broken out . . . but he flashed and the depth chart ahead of him has now cleared. . . my mind changes every 1.3 seconds
My league is full dynasty, where I would still lean Shakir. I'm not crazy about McCaffrey. I get it, but Christian was a massive prospect. The only surprise with Christian was that he became a superstar, instead of just a star. Luke would need a bit of a surprise just to become a starter.

I am probably higher than most on Luke McCaffrey's dynasty prospects. He is certainly not an elite prospect like his brother, but bloodlines matter. Luke is a solid athlete who is growing into the WR position after transitioning from QB. Like his father and brother, Luke is a high-IQ and high-effort player. I felt like Washington was an excellent destination for this developing talent, and the Dotson trade opens a path for McCaffrey to earn a starting slot position, and he has the size and athleticism to develop into more as he refines his game and route running skills. McCaffrey should be rising up boards with the Dotson news.

@32BeatWriters
"Luke McCaffrey: He has not emerged as an obvious top-four wideout to open the season. But he showed the ability to play physical -- and even helped as a gunner in the second preseason game -- and can help on underneath routes as he develops."

@john_keim

Jacob Gibbs
Watch all of Luke McCaffrey's preseason targets here⬇️

- 5 targets
- 4 receptions
- 3 first downs
- 55 receiving yards

With former first-round WR Jahan Dotson traded to the Eagles, Christian McCaffrey's younger brother may play a big 2024 role for the Washington Commanders.

Conflicting reports on where he sat this off-season, but appears to be listed first team on depth chart. Intriguing prospect in an offense with some targets available. Hard to bet against this family. Luke seems to have so,e athletic ability and a strong desire to work to get better. I like betting on those characteristics.

The Coachspeak Index
#Commanders HC Dan Quinn on the development of Luke McCaffrey:

“I think we’re seeing it go like this [*plane taking off gesture*]. And so that’s why more reps and more playing time to go. We’ve really seen kind of that confidence grow, especially inside in the slot where he can use some of that strength and work guys through.”

According to this chart McCaffrey is getting some fantastic separation:

Given Jayden's ADOT in his first game, I'm wondering if Luke could have some value this year as someone who's probably a free agent in most people's redraft leagues.

Certainly ideal receiver for today’s game but the problem is why do you need this guy if the QB can also make people miss and scramble? It’s why Zay Flowers is a tough match with Lamar.

The Coachspeak Index
#Commanders HC Dan Quinn on the development of Luke McCaffrey:

“I think we’re seeing it go like this [*plane taking off gesture*]. And so that’s why more reps and more playing time to go. We’ve really seen kind of that confidence grow, especially inside in the slot where he can use some of that strength and work guys through.”
Cool chart. never seen this. Those Jahan Dotson and Marvin Harrison Jr scores are pretty atrocious.

Nick Akridge
I've noticed Luke McCaffrey has been getting open often and it's cool to see it backed up by some of our newer data at PFF.

In Week 2, McCaffrey ranked 4th in separation % (how often a WR beats coverage). On the season he's 3rd highest

Full list here:

@NBC4Sports
After a win in his first ever Monday Night game, #Commanders rookie WR Luke McCaffrey (3 catches, 44 yards) chats one-on-one with @JPFinlayNBCS in the postgame locker room

@nbcwashington

#RaiseHail

Users who are viewing this thread