Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Good Posting Judge

______ Passed Away Today, RIP

Recommended Posts

28 minutes ago, Don Quixote said:

RIP Ralph Whittington.  I hope my death is reported the same way.

“I really enjoy this stuff,” he told the Washington City Paper in 1997. “I’m not like some guy who says, ‘I only read Playboy for the articles.’ I mean, I really do take a hands-on approach.”

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, [scooter] said:

“I really enjoy this stuff,” he told the Washington City Paper in 1997. “I’m not like some guy who says, ‘I only read Playboy for the articles.’ I mean, I really do take a hands-on approach.”

:mellow:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/18/2019 at 9:06 AM, Cjw_55106 said:

Cedric Benson 36.  Motorcycle accident. 

RIP

As both a Longhorn and Bear fan this one really sucked for me.  Cedric had some demons and for awhile there I fully expected him to go off the deep end.  Either way, leaves us far too soon and I pray that his soul is at peace.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/18/2019 at 11:06 AM, Cjw_55106 said:

Cedric Benson 36.  Motorcycle accident. 

RIP

Sad day.   Same high school.   Midland Lee 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ben & Jerry's said:

RIP Jack Whitaker, dead at 95

 One of the greatest sportscasters of all time.

Did you miss my post from this morning, GB?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Ben & Jerry's said:

RIP Jack Whitaker, dead at 95

 One of the greatest sportscasters of all time.

He was always on my list of the five worst sportscasters all time.  Ugh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mrs. Rannous said:
7 hours ago, Ben & Jerry's said:

RIP Jack Whitaker, dead at 95

 One of the greatest sportscasters of all time.

He was always on my list of the five worst sportscasters all time.  Ugh.

Whitaker was about as old school as anything this side of Heywood Hale Broun.  Whitaker's style was based in newspaper columns but he successfully jumped the tracks to television. 

I'm pretty old and I can't remember him ever doing play-by-play, he was always doing commentary even back in the 1960s.  As he grew older, his opinions got more out of sync with popular culture and I think he kind of leaned into that.  Most people younger than me probably remember him as a rather pompous old guy talking about how things used to be better in the good old days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Eephus said:

Whitaker was about as old school as anything this side of Heywood Hale Broun.  Whitaker's style was based in newspaper columns but he successfully jumped the tracks to television. 

I'm pretty old and I can't remember him ever doing play-by-play, he was always doing commentary even back in the 1960s.  As he grew older, his opinions got more out of sync with popular culture and I think he kind of leaned into that.  Most people younger than me probably remember him as a rather pompous old guy talking about how things used to be better in the good old days.

It always struck me that he was more interested in showing off how "smart" he was than in the sport he was covering.  Sort of a Phil Simms vibe without the charisma.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mrs. Rannous said:

It always struck me that he was more interested in showing off how "smart" he was than in the sport he was covering.  Sort of a Phil Simms vibe without the charisma.

Dude had a great set of pipes, though.  Smooth like Kentucky bourbon. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

David Koch, billionaire right wing donor and co-owner (with his brother) of Koch Industries. Age 79. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Henry Ford said:

David Koch, billionaire right wing donor and co-owner (with his brother) of Koch Industries. Age 79. 

Will say one good thing about him. He was a prolific investor. (In human suffering).

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/20/2019 at 7:04 AM, Tom Servo said:

Dude had a great set of pipes, though.  Smooth like Kentucky bourbon. 

Yes, unlike Simms who sounds like a dumb guy trying to sound smart.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Mr. Ham said:

Will say one good thing about him. He was a prolific investor. (In human suffering).

The Netflix show, "Patriot Act with Hasan Minhaj", recently had an episode about public transportation.  They mentioned the Koch brothers and it wasn't in a very positive light.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mr. Ham said:

Will say one good thing about him. He was a prolific investor. (In human suffering).

I always thought they tilted more libertarian than full conservative, but I could be mis-remembering. 

Aren't they behind sponsoring a lot of the shows on PBS? I think I always see the David Koch Fund for Science as a donor on Nova. Maybe that was his dad and they ran it? 

 

Edited by Walking Boot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Walking Boot said:

I always thought they tilted more libertarian than full conservative, but I could be mis-remembering. 

Aren't they behind sponsoring a lot of the shows on PBS? I think I always see the David Koch Fund for Science as a donor on Nova. Maybe that was his dad and they ran it? 

 

wow. no, that David H Koch you hear at the end of Nova is the recently deceased Koch brother. matter of fact, in looking that up, i read indictments of his connection to WGBH Boston (MIT alum is probably why) and, thereby, Nova being why climate change has seldom been a subject of the program. hmmm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Walking Boot said:
1 hour ago, Mr. Ham said:

Will say one good thing about him. He was a prolific investor. (In human suffering).

I always thought they tilted more libertarian than full conservative, but I could be mis-remembering. 

Aren't they behind sponsoring a lot of the shows on PBS? I think I always see the David Koch Fund for Science as a donor on Nova. Maybe that was his dad and they ran it? 

Koch was a big donor to Nova, and many people have speculated that his presence had at least a subliminal influence on Nova's "non-alarmist" programs on climate change.

The PBS ombudsman had a good analysis of the situation a few years ago.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's sad, she was a true car enthusiast.  I remember seeing her on the old Velocity channel (I think it was?) but lots and lots of car programs, she seemed very nice and really into everything automotive.  I feel bad for her friends and family, such a shame at such a young age, I believe 39 was her actual age.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, zamboni said:

RIP Valerie Harper

I was not a fan, even though she was in one of my favorite shows. When i first came up here to take care of me Ma, her favorite show was Dancing With the Stars so i would watch with her and Ms Harper genuinely seemed to enjoy the extra lease on life during her short course on the show (the kind of story DWTS can really bring home) and i gained a new appreciation for her. RIP -

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm a big, big fan of Arnold Schwarzenegger as I find he has one of the most remarkable life stories so when he hurts I hurt and today he really hurts as his best friend for 54 years, Dr. Franco Columbu, has passed away. He had some kinds words to say about him in a reddit post.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, NutterButter said:

I'm a big, big fan of Arnold Schwarzenegger as I find he has one of the most remarkable life stories so when he hurts I hurt and today he really hurts as his best friend for 54 years, Dr. Franco Columbu, has passed away. He had some kinds words to say about him in a reddit post.

holy ####. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Ben & Jerry's said:

RIP Miami Dolphins legend Center Jim Langer

Those '72 champions are fading away....

Edited by identikit
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/30/2019 at 8:18 PM, NutterButter said:

I'm a big, big fan of Arnold Schwarzenegger as I find he has one of the most remarkable life stories so when he hurts I hurt and today he really hurts as his best friend for 54 years, Dr. Franco Columbu, has passed away. He had some kinds words to say about him in a reddit post.

Those old world strongest man competitions...I recall the one where Franco tore up his knee (like stuff was sticking out of the skin) while basically trying to jog with a refrigerator strapped to his back.)  And he just calmly was talking after it happened saying he didn't think it was broken, just dislocated and he knew it because he was a chiropractor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, sho nuff said:

Those old world strongest man competitions...I recall the one where Franco tore up his knee (like stuff was sticking out of the skin) while basically trying to jog with a refrigerator strapped to his back.)  And he just calmly was talking after it happened saying he didn't think it was broken, just dislocated and he knew it because he was a chiropractor.

It's on YouTube but I'm not even gonna link to it...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, sho nuff said:

Those old world strongest man competitions...I recall the one where Franco tore up his knee (like stuff was sticking out of the skin) while basically trying to jog with a refrigerator strapped to his back.)  And he just calmly was talking after it happened saying he didn't think it was broken, just dislocated and he knew it because he was a chiropractor.

I remember that well.

:queasy:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Statorama said:

Marxist Jackass Robert Mugabe, former leader of Zimbabwe, dead at 95

Sic semper tyrannis

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Statorama said:

Marxist Jackass Robert Mugabe, former leader of Zimbabwe, dead at 95

:bye:

 

Edited by Tom Servo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Psychopav said:

We're sitting on the Saudi Arabia of wind energy right here in the USA.  And we haven't even begun to tap into it!

If he had lived long enough, he might have harnessed the wind energy of tweets............. RIP -

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dunno when or if a honda, but sad to hear about Daniel Johnston.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, El Floppo said:

Dunno when or if a honda, but sad to hear about Daniel Johnston.

Oh nooooooo!  What happened?

Time for me again to pimp the documentary “The Devil and Daniel Johnston” to anyone who hasn’t seen it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, krista4 said:

Oh nooooooo!  What happened?

Time for me again to pimp the documentary “The Devil and Daniel Johnston” to anyone who hasn’t seen it.

Dunno. Saw something in the last year that he wasn't doing well. Bipolar...wonder if that came into play somehow. Only 58. :(

 

eta... And yeah...that's a great doc

 

Edited by El Floppo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, El Floppo said:

Dunno when or if a honda, but sad to hear about Daniel Johnston.

I was introduced to him during my college radio years with that WFMU -  Yo La Tengo performance of "Speeding Motorcycle". He was a weirdo in the best sense of the word.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, krista4 said:

Oh nooooooo!  What happened?

Time for me again to pimp the documentary “The Devil and Daniel Johnston” to anyone who hasn’t seen it.

Fyi...

 

Daniel Johnston, the influential singer-songwriter and visual artist who painted Austin’s famous “Hi How Are You” frog mural on the Drag, died at home last night following a presumed heart attack at age 58. The news was confirmed by his former manager Jeff Tartakov.

Johnston’s physical health worsened significantly in recent years. Last year, his sister Margy Johnston told the Chronicle that Daniel had recently endured a rough go that included falling, hospitalization, and frequent adjustments to his medication. In January, while famous fans like the Flaming Lips and Yo La Tengo were covering his songs at ACL Live at the Moody Theater for the second annual Hi, How Are You Day, Daniel landed in the hospital again

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, zamboni said:

RIP - was sick for some time.

And in before the first Shakin’ joke.

Looks like he was finally taken home

Edited by Jules Winnfield

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jules Winnfield said:
27 minutes ago, zamboni said:

RIP - was sick for some time.

And in before the first Shakin’ joke.

Looks like he was finally taken home

Hopefully used one of his tickets to paradise!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.