What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I'd like to discuss stereotypes, is that okay? (1 Viewer)

I would say and think that I've heard that before and no, I don't ALL Asian people are terrible drivers.

I was driving around town today and got stuck behind a line of cars going less then the speed limit. One by one they passed the lead car until I was 2 or 3 behind it. At the next light, I could get in the turning lane and as I got up next to that car I looked in.......

female Asian driver.  

Just sayin

I was driving around town today and got stuck behind a line of cars going less then the speed limit. One by one they passed the lead car until I was 2 or 3 behind it. At the next light, I could get in the turning lane and as I got up next to that car I looked in.......

female Asian driver.  

Just sayin
I have been driving under twenty MPH everywhere I have gone for the last week.  #Pokémon 

female Asian driver.  

Just sayin
The trifecta of bad driver is the old female Asian driver.  Good thing you don't see many old female Asian pilots.  

As to the original point, I'm pro-stereotype. 

I always hated 8-tracks.  And I don't get the love for turntables/vinyl.
A good cartridge and stylus with a good system and a well-pressed record has warmth and depth that you can't get with ones and zeros.  that doesn't apply to most people's setups so I think it's just a matter preferring the aesthetics of it. 8-track was a pita.

Many people who live in the Far East don't drive, especially women, and a lot of them probably don't even ride in a car much.  When they come to America, they are learning to drive.  

Asians are poor drivers.

White people can't jump and are slow.

Poles are really dense.

Black folks never move over from the left lane.

Greeks like the butt.

Jewish women fear the blue dot.

Pakistanis never dance nor sing near a landlocked body of water.

:grad:

Canadians are totally afraid of the dark though. That one is 100% true.

I don't know about driving, but if you end up playing golf behind a group of Asian people, expect a 6 hour round of golf. 

My working theory on Asian female drviers (of any age):

There are a lots of bad drivers.  Anyone over a certain age is probably gonna make me unhappy.  I'm also from the Northeast, and we invented impatience, so I try and maintain perspective.  Asian female drivers are in a different category for one reason:

The Never Acknowledge the Mistake, or in fact, your existence.

This is purely anecdotal, I know.  I am unaware of any definitve research papers on the subject.  But Jesus, I cannot be the only one.  

There are surprisingly few responses available when you have made a mistake on the road, and the angry victim confronts you.  If the victim is behind you, angrily honking, you've got the apologetic hand wave through the back window, the defiant bird, and that's about it, really.  When they pull up next to you , and get some face time, your options increase, but not much.  The embarrassed shrug is the one that defuses most situations.  The victim understands it's a mea culpa, and now the ball is in his court to magnanimouly allow you to continue living.  My mom is a fan of the two hands up in tha air, while yelling, ''What?!  WHAT?!?!'', wherein the bad driver tries to turn it around, and make the victim a maniac drvier.  Occasionally, when I have been the bad driver, and it's time for the showdown at the red light, I have acted as though the angry victim is really a long lost friend, looking to reconnect.  I smile a bit too broadly, and wave my hand furiously, like a 6-year-old greeting Grammy as the car pulls in the driveway.  Drives. People. Insane.  I'm laughing right now, thinking about it.  

But any response, even my MassWhole response above, is prefered to the pure torture of the bad driver completely ignoring you, not looking at you, and maybe not even knowing they did anything wrong.

I've just regained control of my car.  My adrenaline is pegged.  My iced coffee is in my lap.  My phone is somewhere under the passenger seat, and I will need a coathanger and some fishing line to retrive it.  I pull up next to her, my chest is heaving.  I am 100-yard-staring a distance of about 7 feet.  Nothing.  I know you SEE ME, #####!!!!!!  My body is still in the drvier's seat, but my soul, my very essence, is plastered up against her window, hands pressed against the glass, inches from her face, staring down in rage.  I might melt her freaking window.

Nothing.  Not even a sideways glance.  They sit there, looking as though they are unable to see you because they are concentrating on driving so hard.  Hands at 10 and 2, patiently staring at the light, waiting for it to change.  I'm banging against the car like a baboon on speed, and she stares, quietly, straight ahead.  

:rant:

My working theory on Asian female drviers (of any age):

There are a lots of bad drivers.  Anyone over a certain age is probably gonna make me unhappy.  I'm also from the Northeast, and we invented impatience, so I try and maintain perspective.  Asian female drivers are in a different category for one reason:

The Never Acknowledge the Mistake, or in fact, your existence.

This is purely anecdotal, I know.  I am unaware of any definitve research papers on the subject.  But Jesus, I cannot be the only one.  

There are surprisingly few responses available when you have made a mistake on the road, and the angry victim confronts you.  If the victim is behind you, angrily honking, you've got the apologetic hand wave through the back window, the defiant bird, and that's about it, really.  When they pull up next to you , and get some face time, your options increase, but not much.  The embarrassed shrug is the one that defuses most situations.  The victim understands it's a mea culpa, and now the ball is in his court to magnanimouly allow you to continue living.  My mom is a fan of the two hands up in tha air, while yelling, ''What?!  WHAT?!?!'', wherein the bad driver tries to turn it around, and make the victim a maniac drvier.  Occasionally, when I have been the bad driver, and it's time for the showdown at the red light, I have acted as though the angry victim is really a long lost friend, looking to reconnect.  I smile a bit too broadly, and wave my hand furiously, like a 6-year-old greeting Grammy as the car pulls in the driveway.  Drives. People. Insane.  I'm laughing right now, thinking about it.  

But any response, even my MassWhole response above, is prefered to the pure torture of the bad driver completely ignoring you, not looking at you, and maybe not even knowing they did anything wrong.

I've just regained control of my car.  My adrenaline is pegged.  My iced coffee is in my lap.  My phone is somewhere under the passenger seat, and I will need a coathanger and some fishing line to retrive it.  I pull up next to her, my chest is heaving.  I am 100-yard-staring a distance of about 7 feet.  Nothing.  I know you SEE ME, #####!!!!!!  My body is still in the drvier's seat, but my soul, my very essence, is plastered up against her window, hands pressed against the glass, inches from her face, staring down in rage.  I might melt her freaking window.

Nothing.  Not even a sideways glance.  They sit there, looking as though they are unable to see you because they are concentrating on driving so hard.  Hands at 10 and 2, patiently staring at the light, waiting for it to change.  I'm banging against the car like a baboon on speed, and she stares, quietly, straight ahead.  

:rant:
sounds like you need to chill out.  quit messing with your phone and coffee when you should be focused on driving.    :D

What would you think if you heard someone say Asian people are terrible drivers?
I would say that, from working at a University with a fairly significant amount of FOB Asian drivers......that that stereotype isn't neccessarily wrong. 

Last edited by a moderator:
On a southwest flight a few weeks ago an elderly Indian woman wearing a saree sat across the aisle from me. She smelled delightful.

Users who are viewing this thread