What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

JALEN RICHARD - RB Oakland - Run don't walk !! (1 Viewer)

Okay.  I was just adding a little reality to the OP.  The latest report say that Murray is having a good camp (Tweet by Vic Tafur on Aug 6th) and there isn't any mention on the news wire about there even being a battle for the back up job, which solidly looks to be Washington's at the moment (latest report on him is July 22nd so that could have changed).

Richard is a speculative dynasty add and a redraft waiver wire pick-up in the event of a Murray injury (even then, at best, it would be a committee with Washington), nothing more.
I don't think the identity of the #2 RB has been announced yet. Make the speculative add of Richard, and sit back and watch the preseason games.

The story of who will back up Lad Murray will unfold, it has definitely NOT been decided yet.

FWIW the last depth chart I saw for the Raiders has Taiwan Jones with the second team, Washington with the 3rd team, Richard and Atkinson with the fourth team.

At this point I think I know more about Washington and Richards than I know about Taiwan Jones.

I also found this interesting:

Everything else on the offense is fairly self-explanatory. I imagine listing Taiwan Jones as the backup running back for now is a matter of showing respect to a veteran, but I’d be surprised if it’s not Washington by Week 1.

Last edited by a moderator:
FWIW the last depth chart I saw for the Raiders has Taiwan Jones with the second team, Washington with the 3rd team, Richard and Atkinson with the fourth team.

At this point I think I know more about Washington and Richards than I know about Taiwan Jones.

I also found this interesting:
As I said before, Jones has a role, but he's never considered the #2 RB.  Reece would be the backup RB over Jones.  Jones has legit speed, and his role is special teams demon, and occasional receiving back.  If Jones had to rely on his running skills alone, he'd have been out of the league years ago.  

It's like calling the long snapper the 3rd team MLB.  

Hell i thought tawain jones was converted to cornerback or something
Yep, and converted back to RB last year, I think.  

I felt like I was the last one to realize that Jones was considered a ST player more than a true RB by the coaches.  

I would say this, as possibly a crack of light to Jones losing his roster spot to Richard:

Jones' value is on ST, and there is a LOT more competition for ST positions this year.  The Raiders acquired several players capable of filling that gunner/all around ST ace role.  They signed two in free agency, Trawick, a  safety, and a LB, Darren Bates, known as ONLY a ST guy, really.  Drafted a potential in the 6th round LB, Cory James, and that's ignoring all the UDFA that may or may not be able to do that.  If the Raiders felt they could replace his production with a minimum wage guy at a position with more depth, they could easily open a roster spot for him.  

One more way:  Cutting Marcel Reece.  Makes more money than most fullbacks, and is the backup fullback now.  

Reece is suspended for the first 3 games I think as well. So that frees up a roster spot for a RB early on possibly.

Great point about the special teams ace players. That is kind of how I see Kenyan Drake, as a souped up Taiwan Jones.

Okay.  I was just adding a little reality to the OP.  The latest report say that Murray is having a good camp (Tweet by Vic Tafur on Aug 6th) and there isn't any mention on the news wire about there even being a battle for the back up job, which solidly looks to be Washington's at the moment (latest report on him is July 22nd so that could have changed).

Richard is a speculative dynasty add and a redraft waiver wire pick-up in the event of a Murray injury (even then, at best, it would be a committee with Washington), nothing more.
This is my read as well.  I am a Washington investor.  But it might be that Murray holds him off.  The early stuff on Washington was good.  But it may take an injury for him to get more than a COP/3rd Down role.

I found this blurb on ESPN:

Oakland Raiders running back George Atkinson III, son of the longtime Raiders safety, put on a show as the third-string back in the Raiders' 31-10 preseason-opening victory Friday over the Arizona Cardinals. With undrafted rookie Jalen Richard not suiting up, Atkinson broke off touchdown runs of 53 and 35 yards and finished with 97 yards on five carries. Did Atkinson, who has spent most of the past two seasons on Oakland’s practice squad, play his way onto an initial 53-man roster? Stay tuned.
Richard's absence opened the door for Atkinson, who stole the spotlight last night. 

massraider said:
Homeboy needs to get healthy, if he even wants practice squad.
Yeah, if Atkinson continues to play like he did in the first preseason game, and he finds a place on special teams, he could bump Richard off the roster (assuming either of them makes the roster).

Raiders OC Bill Musgrave said undrafted rookie RB Jalen Richard looked "spectacular" early in training camp before suffering a knee injury.
Richard has since missed the first two preseason games, but is expected to play Saturday night against the Titans. The UDFA out of Southern Miss is also expected to get some run with the first-team offense, along with rookie DeAndre Washington, so the Raiders can get a good read of the backup situation behind Latavius Murray. Richard is currently third on the depth chart.

Source: Bay Area News Group 
Aug 26 - 12:38 PM

So a little bump on this guy, as two things seemed to have improved his chances. I say 'seemed' because it is not certain.

He got some run with the 1st team in the dress rehearsal, and played well, showing some burst. Washington did as well, but watching the both of them, I'm not sure I can tell who the draft pick is.  Anyway, he looked good.

Also, WR Johnny Holton appears to be a lock to make the team. Holton would be the 5th WR, there isn't much competition from a vet or anything, but in the 3rd preseason game, he was a gunner on ST, a role normally held by Taiwan Jones. He did well, and has in the other games. If the Raiders feel comfortable with someone other than Jones as a gunner, they can go with the younger, cheaper upside at RB. And Jones didn't play much in the 3rd game.

He's probably a shade over 50/50 to make the team now, I think.

Raiders undrafted rookie RB Jalen Richard made the initial roster.
Richard was competing with DeAndre Washington, but it looks like both have locked up backup spots behind starter Latavius Murray. Richard has looked great in limited opportunities this preseason. He is a name to know in deeper Dynasty formats.

Source: Jimmy Durkin on Twitter

So a little bump on this guy, as two things seemed to have improved his chances. I say 'seemed' because it is not certain.

He got some run with the 1st team in the dress rehearsal, and played well, showing some burst. Washington did as well, but watching the both of them, I'm not sure I can tell who the draft pick is.  Anyway, he looked good.

Also, WR Johnny Holton appears to be a lock to make the team. Holton would be the 5th WR, there isn't much competition from a vet or anything, but in the 3rd preseason game, he was a gunner on ST, a role normally held by Taiwan Jones. He did well, and has in the other games. If the Raiders feel comfortable with someone other than Jones as a gunner, they can go with the younger, cheaper upside at RB. And Jones didn't play much in the 3rd game.

He's probably a shade over 50/50 to make the team now, I think.

I would add that he looks well built to handle a steady workload, should he earn it.

So do Washington and Murray.  All three are thick enough to carry the ball 15+ times, I think.  

Richrd might be a popular FA pickup this week, but I might let someone else spend all their money.  

Washington had more carries than Richard (5 to 3), and Latavius had 14.  Latavius added over 4.2 a carry, which is good, but frankly, he SHOULD average 4.2 behind that line, vs the Saints defense.   I don't think it's going to be an easy path to a lot of carries for Jalen, the team still has Latavius, and Washington has looked good in the preseason as well. 

It might come down to how much they trust them in pass pro.  They have a dang brick wall in front of Carr, he was chilling in the pocket today, they cannot let a blitzing safety or LB kill Carr because a rookie RB missed a block.  

I cannot think of which RB on waivers might be worth more this week, so I am not saying to not grab him if you need a RB, but this isn't a slam dunk to starting immediately.  

So do Washington and Murray.  All three are thick enough to carry the ball 15+ times, I think.  

Richrd might be a popular FA pickup this week, but I might let someone else spend all their money.  

Washington had more carries than Richard (5 to 3), and Latavius had 14.  Latavius added over 4.2 a carry, which is good, but frankly, he SHOULD average 4.2 behind that line, vs the Saints defense.   I don't think it's going to be an easy path to a lot of carries for Jalen, the team still has Latavius, and Washington has looked good in the preseason as well. 

It might come down to how much they trust them in pass pro.  They have a dang brick wall in front of Carr, he was chilling in the pocket today, they cannot let a blitzing safety or LB kill Carr because a rookie RB missed a block.  

I cannot think of which RB on waivers might be worth more this week, so I am not saying to not grab him if you need a RB, but this isn't a slam dunk to starting immediately.  
I understand people don't feel Murray is special, right there with you on the 4.2/Oak OL he should get it mindset but he also seems to be a little bigger than the rest and a little more trusted in pass protection right now...hard to see Murray being a healthy scratch any time soon. You did not say he would be, just felt like the big run was an anomaly more than a weekly occurrence. 

Props to your team today, had to feel good, loved the way JDR went for it. 

I understand people don't feel Murray is special, right there with you on the 4.2/Oak OL he should get it mindset but he also seems to be a little bigger than the rest and a little more trusted in pass protection right now...hard to see Murray being a healthy scratch any time soon. You did not say he would be, just felt like the big run was an anomaly more than a weekly occurrence. 

Props to your team today, had to feel good, loved the way JDR went for it. 
Myself and @Chaka have both been pretty vocal on here saying that Murray won't give it up without a fight, but there IS a reason Raider Nation doesn't love him. 

From what I have seen, he does not have special vision, or feel, for the running game.  I've seen runs that I feel he left yards on the field.  He does have speed, and a slashing style that works on some plays, and long speed, but his short area wiggle just isn't there.  He rarely picks through garbage, turning a one yard loss into a 2 yard gain, which is something the smaller guys can probably do better.  I can definitely see him losing carries to either or both of the rookies, but I think that one play by Richard doesn't tell us too much right now. 

Washington could go off next week vs. Falcons, and then where are we?  I think the team likes all three backs, which might be frustating for owners.  As I said, I love the dynasty stash of Richard with an eye towards 2017, but I'm not betting on him taking over right now.  Just too early to say.  

http://justblogbaby.com/2016/09/11/game-highlights-oakland-raiders-new-orleans-saints/

Some vines from the game, scroll down to the see the Richard run from two angles.  Pretty sweet, and bonus points for the Raiders' OL pancaking two defenders on the play.  

For Murray owners who handcuffed him with Washington, do you think it's time to switch to Richard? No way I want to own all three.

Myself and @Chaka have both been pretty vocal on here saying that Murray won't give it up without a fight, but there IS a reason Raider Nation doesn't love him. 

From what I have seen, he does not have special vision, or feel, for the running game.  I've seen runs that I feel he left yards on the field.  He does have speed, and a slashing style that works on some plays, and long speed, but his short area wiggle just isn't there.  He rarely picks through garbage, turning a one yard loss into a 2 yard gain, which is something the smaller guys can probably do better.  I can definitely see him losing carries to either or both of the rookies, but I think that one play by Richard doesn't tell us too much right now. 

Washington could go off next week vs. Falcons, and then where are we?  I think the team likes all three backs, which might be frustating for owners.  As I said, I love the dynasty stash of Richard with an eye towards 2017, but I'm not betting on him taking over right now.  Just too early to say.  

http://justblogbaby.com/2016/09/11/game-highlights-oakland-raiders-new-orleans-saints/

Some vines from the game, scroll down to the see the Richard run from two angles.  Pretty sweet, and bonus points for the Raiders' OL pancaking two defenders on the play.  
I think Oakland just wants to win baby!

The FF owners can go pound salt as far as they are concerned. JDR, good to see an old man turn a new leaf. I swear he seemed content passing it everywhere today. 

I think Oak will use all 3 and not make a big deal about it, meaning the only folks who care are FF owners. 

Flip a coin.  I think I would keep an eye on Raider Twitter, and check the snap counts in the game. 

I have a personal Raider Twitter, that tracks all the writer, here you go:  https://twitter.com/massraider/lists/raiders

Good luck.
Interesting. My general view is that if you don't know who the handcuff is, you shouldn't be handcuffing. After all, the whole point of the strategy is minimizing your risk. Introducing added uncertainty makes that far less effective.

It wasn't just the big run today. He also had a really nifty punt return where he made several guys miss with what seemed like minimal and extremely natural lateral movement. He excels in that attribute well above the other two RBs.

And it wasn't just today. This guy has been the talk of Raiders camp since day one. He got lost for a few weeks due to a knee issue, but hopefully he's completely past that now.

I think he may have moved past DWash today, but that doesn't mean DW no longer sees the field. I think it just makes this an RBBBC going forward (it essentially already was today) until injury strikes or one of them truly stands out. Which of the three seems most capable of doing that? Based on eye test alone, I think JRich, but health and pass pro will be part of the determinants.

Plus we have a TD vulture in the mix with Olawale. What a cluster.

Picked him up.  Has one more good weekend and he will be gone. 
I grabbed him in my dynasty. I agree that another big game and he will picked up everywhere. I'm curious if he can carve out a decent timeshare without an injury to Murray. 

On his long TD run he made a move on the NT behind the line of scrimmage that NONE of the other Raider RBs would make, not even DWashington. At first, I thought it was instinctual but a bit lucky, but in a postgame locker room interview, Richard indicated that it was completely intentional and a conscious setup all the way. As he approaches the line, he sees that the NT is two gapping, so JRich cuts right, gets the NT to commit to that hole and then explodes left through the opposite hole and past the line, eventually on to 75 yards of glory. He literally said he saw the NT two gapping and set him up with the lean right, cut left. That interview, plus a punt return that got called back in which he juked the #### out of like three defenders without any hitch in his moves has me VERY high on this kid all of a sudden. Grab and stash.

I believe if something were to happen to Murray, J.Rich would be the man to get the carries and D.Wash would be the 3rd down/Change of Pace guy....I am not sure Wash or Murray would have been able to produce that 75 yard touchdown given the same circumstances and the coaches know that.

On his long TD run he made a move on the NT behind the line of scrimmage that NONE of the other Raider RBs would make, not even DWashington. At first, I thought it was instinctual but a bit lucky, but in a postgame locker room interview, Richard indicated that it was completely intentional and a conscious setup all the way. As he approaches the line, he sees that the NT is two gapping, so JRich cuts right, gets the NT to commit to that hole and then explodes left through the opposite hole and past the line, eventually on to 75 yards of glory. He literally said he saw the NT two gapping and set him up with the lean right, cut left. That interview, plus a punt return that got called back in which he juked the #### out of like three defenders without any hitch in his moves has me VERY high on this kid all of a sudden. Grab and stash.
That's impressive as. Only good thing about having top ww spot was to be able to pick him up in my deep dynasty league.

That run was

:jawdrop:

Murrays snaps and total opportunities over 4 weeks have been 

62% 16

48% 14

48% 11

57% 10

Washington and Richard have been splitting pretty evenly as the second half of this committee.

Washington has 26 total opportunities and Richard has 25.

Not sure if Richard or Washintons playing time will increase or not moving forward, but Murray's opportunities have been declining. The last 2 weeks Richard and Washington combined have had more total opportunities than Murray has.

Murrays snaps and total opportunities over 4 weeks have been 

62% 16

48% 14

48% 11

57% 10

Washington and Richard have been splitting pretty evenly as the second half of this committee.

Washington has 26 total opportunities and Richard has 25.

Not sure if Richard or Washintons playing time will increase or not moving forward, but Murray's opportunities have been declining. The last 2 weeks Richard and Washington combined have had more total opportunities than Murray has.
They both have been producing more than murray too

Users who are viewing this thread