What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

**Streaming Defense** Weeks 14-16 FF Playoffs (2 Viewers)

Any love for the Giants this week against a continuously variable Rams team?
Seems like a coin flip - Keenum developing a good rapport with his receivers lately. Gurley still stuck in the mud, but Rams have been putting up points. And the Giants D is kinda hit & miss too. 

Used to be a day you could trust the Giants D and the Rams O....been a while since the Greatest Show on Turf or the Big Blue Wrecking Crew. 

Stompin' Tom Connors said:
As a Giants fan, I can tell you I would not trust them unless I was desperate. They nearly blew the game last week, can't sack anyone, and this secondary clearly is not healthy.

Stompin' Tom Connors said:
They're a truly lousy defense. Vegas had them as the second-lowest scoring game of the week last Sunday against an injury-ravaged Ravens' offense and they needed Beckham to go completely bonkers in the final quarter just to narrowly escape with a win because their defense kept getting gashed. At some point Todd Gurley is going to off against somebody. Hasn't happened on US soil yet. Would be fitting if it happened overseas against this sorry excuse for a defense. 

Thanks for the thoughts on the Giants, men -- makes a lot of sense. For me, cupboard is bare. 

SF, Atlanta, TB, Oakland, Detroit, Miami, Jacksonville, Colts, Skins, Steelers, Browns, Saints, Chargers are the choices I have. 

So while the Giants may not be trustworthy, I am not sure there is a better option out there. If anything, would guess the Raiders given match up, but they are way less trustworthy this year. 

Crappy year to have gone all in on the Panthers, a D I thought was just going to be plug and play all year.

Crappy year to have gone all in on the Panthers, a D I thought was just going to be plug and play all year.
Same, and yes.  We should have known better than to take them with Norman leaving but they are even worse than we could have thought. 

So, I'm streaming the Titans for a few weeks. 

Thanks for the thoughts on the Giants, men -- makes a lot of sense. For me, cupboard is bare. 

SF, Atlanta, TB, Oakland, Detroit, Miami, Jacksonville, Colts, Skins, Steelers, Browns, Saints, Chargers are the choices I have. 

So while the Giants may not be trustworthy, I am not sure there is a better option out there. If anything, would guess the Raiders given match up, but they are way less trustworthy this year. 

A lot of people are picking up Oakland defense this week.

The Raiders D looks good on paper. They give up a ton of yards and points every week though. Be careful. 
Yep. I am more comfortable rolling the dice on the Giants than the Raiders. Neither are good options, just hoping I am right about the lesser of two evils.

Dodds/Norton seem high on the Giants this week for some reason- 6th overall with my league's scoring. Not sure I agree, but there's that.

Yep. I am more comfortable rolling the dice on the Giants than the Raiders. Neither are good options, just hoping I am right about the lesser of two evils.

Dodds/Norton seem high on the Giants this week for some reason- 6th overall with my league's scoring. Not sure I agree, but there's that.
They looked good the first two weeks but have done nothing since. They get no sacks and force no turnovers and like I posted earlier last week they were expected to hold a suspect offense down in a low-scoring game and couldn't even do that. So if you're getting points for points allowed you can't even trust them there right now. This week they get the Rams who recently have been putting up points so I wouldn't view them as a weak offense by any means. We can all laugh at Keenum but he has been making plays with Britt as well as Quick and we know Gurley is way overdue for a huge game. 

I drafted the Giants as a No. 2 option in a couple of leagues and used them in a couple of DFS lineups last week as a cheap option so I've been paying close attention to them. They just don't offer anything of value right now. I'm surprised they're a 3-point favorite in the game this week and I'm guessing that's based only on the fact they have Beckham. If his injury turns out to be serious in any way I would expect the line to shift closer and closer to the Pick 'em side.  

this week is awful.

i have the titans from last week in one league, and my best option in the other is the eagles.

not much on the wire.  bears?  texans?  jags?  raiders?  pretty bad
I like the Titans at home v the Colts.  They have racked up 12 sacks in the last two games and no team gives up sacks at a higher rate than Indianapolis. There should be some big play opportunities.

I own Ravens (at Jets) which looks like a beauty of a match-up. Just saw Bengals (host Browns) somehow are FA. I think I have to stick with the Ravens, but can't believe they are sitting there. Defenses have been pretty competitively fought over this year in my league as more and more teams have caught on to streaming.

I'm surprised they're a 3-point favorite in the game this week and I'm guessing that's based only on the fact they have Beckham. If his injury turns out to be serious in any way I would expect the line to shift closer and closer to the Pick 'em side.  
It's more likely the fact that the Rams have no offense.  I haven't looked recently but they were ranked last not too long ago.  Looks like they are 28th now in both passing and rushing.  Paltry.  Gurley, as good as he is, is having trouble.  And Case Keenum doesn't help things.

It's more likely the fact that the Rams have no offense.  I haven't looked recently but they were ranked last not too long ago.  Looks like they are 28th now in both passing and rushing.  Paltry.  Gurley, as good as he is, is having trouble.  And Case Keenum doesn't help things.
I'm rolling with the Giants this week, but be aware that Case Keenum had one of his best games as a pro last week. If he carries any momentum into this week, this could be a trap.

Small Sample Size Alert: The last two times the Rams have faced a beatable defense (Lions and Bucs) the Rams put up some major points on them. I don't consider the Giants defense to be a very good one. Could they rise up for one game against a below-average QB like Keenum? Absolutely. He's pretty terrible. But again this is a defense that hasn't shown the slightest ability to get sacks or force turnovers since Week 2. That's a pretty significant amount of time. Meanwhile, Kenny Britt suddenly looks like a world beater, Brian Quick flashes big-play ability every once in awhile, Lance Kendricks pulls a big play out of his behind when you least expect it and Todd Gurley is so overdue for a Todd Gurley game it's ridiculous. 

I'm not trying to make the Rams out to be anything special on offense. They clearly aren't. But the Giants have been so uninspiring defensively for a month now. I'm really surprised they're getting three points in this one. This really looks like a pick 'em game to me. I'm no gambling expert by any means but if I was betting on this I'd definitely be taking LA. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Packersfan, I agree with you on the Giants defense.  That's not what I was addressing.  Moreso the part about why the Giants are favored in this matchup.

issue w/ the rams is injuries....pretty sure their # 1 corner is still out, then you have to look at the D line being banged up

Packersfan, I agree with you on the Giants defense.  That's not what I was addressing.  Moreso the part about why the Giants are favored in this matchup.
My post was in response to that. When facing a below-average defense recently the Rams' offense has put up points. I think the Rams' offense can put up points this week so I'm surprised they're an underdog. I would look at this as more of a Pick Em game. As I first said, I think the difference may be Beckham but if his injury is more serious than expected the line could shift toward LA as we get closer to Sunday.  

running with the Pack this week
Imma genius.

17.75 point in our quirky scoring sustem

4 PA - 7 points

1 Sack - 1 point

2 INT - 4 points

100-199 Yrds Allowed - 4 points

2 3 n Outs - 1.00 points

3 TFL - 0.75 points

Best streaming DST for me all year. Picked them up on their bye week when they got dropped, first time using them. Like their run D so I'll keep them rostered ROS & rotate with the Titans. Done with playing matchup streaming. It was a good 3 year run but proved to be a lousy strategy in 2016.

I will be spending the rest of the weekend in quiet solitude, devoting my entire being genuflecting to the fantasy gods for bestowing 23+ ffp from my hail Mary selection of the Giants D, including the most improbable pick 6 I think I have ever seen in my life.

Then I will devote the next week to finding another D as there is no way in hell the Giants can keep that going forward.

This isn't a defense by committee post, but I figured you guys would appreciate how dumb I have been with the defenses on my teams.  I'm in two leagues and have PHI and NE in both leagues.  After last week I thought I would just cut NE and ride PHI in both since PHI already had their bye... but then Big Ben gets hurt... I decide to start NE in both leagues for one more week and reevaluate after this week... well in the 4th quarter of the 1 o'clock games that decision doesn't look to good. 

I WILL BE CUTTING NE AND PLAYING PHI THE REST OF THE SEASON IN BOTH LEAGUES!!!!

:sadbanana: :X   :kicksrock: :violin: :ptts:

Eagles got me 34 today. Opponent played Tennessee. They got him 0. I'm up by 35 right now. 

That is all.

Let's revive this for week 8.  Not a lot of great matchups out there this week in my leagues.  As crazy as it sounds, I'm thinking about using Chicago this week.  At home on MNF against Minnesota, who just got their O line rocked by Philly.  Philly D line is way above Chicago's, but Chicago has scored 10 vx JAX and 14 vs GB the last two weeks.  

Other two options are Detroit vs. HOU - anemic offense and hope for a couple turnovers...or Cleveland vs. NYJ, and hope Fitzpatrick turns it over a bunch

Im rolling with NYJ vs CLE (if Hogan starts) or SD vs DEN. Not a lot of great options.
Jets were my target but the only other guy in the league that streams like me went ahead and grabbed them Sunday morning for next week.  Hadn't considered SD, I'll have to look at that one

Titans were disappointing last week, but I might stick with them again this week. Jags offense has been inept and Thursday games tend to be pretty sloppy.

Cupboard really bare still. From my options, here is what I am looking at:

DAL v PHI -- risky as PHI ranks 6th over all in PPG, but Dallas is 7 overall in least points allowed. Coming off a bye in a tough divisional game? Let's see what happens.

DET v HOU -- Detroit is by far not an option a trust, but HOU's offense ranks 31st overall in points per game and 29th in yards per game.

Can't trust Carolina who is also out there, either against an ARI team that can become hot offensively, or in general. Washington has been playing solid D, but avoiding the matchup vs CIN.

Maybe something much better falls to the wire....  

Couple of owners in my 12 team are holding two defenses, I keep checking every hour to see if any are getting dropped.  Somebody like NE hitting the wire would be gold for me right now
Yep -- my situation is compounded by being in a 14 team league, but of the D's that could *potentially* fall to the wire this week to cover byes, will be scooping up the following if the fall:

CIN

HOU

NYJ

BAL

Doubt any of them will, though, except for the Jets, who may be an option vs the Browns.

Can PHI D be trusted vs DAL? 

Dallas doesn't turn the ball over, but it'll likely be a low-scoring affair. Would you rather have KC vs IND (who does turn the ball over) or NYJ vs CLE (with a backup QB)?

Going with jets or panthers. Bills killed me this week but in was able to squeeze out a win. Hopefully either of these can do better than 0.

Dallas doesn't turn the ball over, but it'll likely be a low-scoring affair. Would you rather have KC vs IND (who does turn the ball over) or NYJ vs CLE (with a backup QB)?
I think Minnesota was averaging one point a game to opposing defenses coming into last week. Worst match-up in the league last week and Philly still put up 25-30 points per league. Just saying...

DET v HOU -- Detroit is by far not an option a trust, but HOU's offense ranks 31st overall in points per game and 29th in yards per game.
If Darius Slay is out, Hopkns might finally break out.

Actually, I don't care what we saw last night, I'd jam as many Texans into your lineup as you can. Fiedorowicz is a mortal lock to get a TD, they can't cover TEs. Strong/Miller will have Diggs in the slot, he can play, but Fuller will catch as least one long one. The Blue/Miller RBBC (things change fast) will find plenty of room.

Stafford is playing at a high level, they can keep up. Bet the over. Don't play DET DST. Just remember how many people thought they were a sneaky play v. the Rams. Case Keenum looked like Tom Brady. 27/32 with a couple drops.

I had been rolling with the Bills who had been decent until the last week or two......but I had to abruptly jump ship.

Their schedule gets tougher with NE, @ SEA  then a bye. (plus week 10 is a tough bye week for me).

Picked up the Jets in one league and KC happened to be on the wire in another which surprised me. I doubt they were going to sit there long.

The Jets  have CLE, MIA and LA for the next few weeks, so they should be serviceable.

KC has IND, JAX then CAR so I reckon they will be fair enough, and hopefully I can get the Bills back  in both these leagues.

Looks like the Bills will be decent rest-of-season after their bye week 10, other than possibly PITT in week 14.

I realize week 14 is a crucial week for most teams, and in one league it may well be for me too, but I like the idea of BUFF rest of season, and just having to snag someone for that week if necessary.

TZM

Titans were disappointing last week, but I might stick with them again this week. Jags offense has been inept and Thursday games tend to be pretty sloppy.
I've thought of TN a couple times and decided against...thankfully.

This time around I think I'm in. It's a short week, Thursday night clunker, at home, and the JAX offense has shown absolutely nothing.

If this is the week JAX offense gets it together I'm quitting this hobby.

Cupboard really bare still. From my options, here is what I am looking at:

DAL v PHI -- risky as PHI ranks 6th over all in PPG, but Dallas is 7 overall in least points allowed. Coming off a bye in a tough divisional game? Let's see what happens.
I'm definitely considering Dallas.

They don't seem spectacular but they seem really good at minimizing the big play. Obviously, their style of offense helps. Philly O looks out of sync now.

My only other option in this particular league is CINCI and I'm not impressed after Cleveland ran all over them without any kind of receiving threat.

I've thought of TN a couple times and decided against...thankfully.

This time around I think I'm in. It's a short week, Thursday night clunker, at home, and the JAX offense has shown absolutely nothing.

If this is the week JAX offense gets it together I'm quitting this hobby.
The 2 weeks prior to this past week were pretty good for TN.

Picked up Carolina to host Arizona.  Did you see Palmer's stats in only road start this year?  I know Panthers have disappointed but with slim pickings this week I dumped Buffalo and will take a chance with rested Panthers.

Picked up Carolina to host Arizona.  Did you see Palmer's stats in only road start this year?  I know Panthers have disappointed but with slim pickings this week I dumped Buffalo and will take a chance with rested Panthers.

I too dropped the Bills.

The next week or two are not something I want any part of, and then the bye doesn't help matters.

I do think they are worth grabbing again though, (to make a decent rest of season play)  I will pick them up as they go into their bye weekend most likely.

TZM

Seems like more than a few people are considering the Jets but in my league the Jets give up the most points to opposing defenses.

Anyone considering rolling out Cleveland at home vs. the Jets?  Or do we think Fitzpatrick is finally going to turn it around and be closer to the player he was in 2015?

The 2 weeks prior to this past week were pretty good for TN.
Yeah 6 sacks two weeks in a row against bad teams. But they couldn't get off the field v. IND. JAX offense gives up the 11th most points to DSTs in our format.

I don't have much on the WW

- SD, TB, DET, IND, NO, CLE, CHI, DAL, JAX

Also holding GB (@ ATL)

Debating this as well but I think it's too dangerous. For one, while they are still holding up against the run, their pass D has been a complete sieve. And this is the one area that the Cards have the personnel with which to attack. They also have allowed tons of points -- I drafted them thinking they could be some semblance of their former selves even without Norman, and so that I could just hold a D through the year.

That didn't turn out to be the case.

My league scores D on points allowed, yards allowed, with nominal bonuses for 3 and outs. Here is how CAR fared to date:

WK 1 (@DEN L 21-20): 8.75

WK 2 (v SF W 46-27): 13

WK 3 (v MIN L 22-10): 8.75

WK 4 (@ ATL L 48-33): 2.75

WK 5 (v TB L 17-14): 7

WK 6 (@ NO L 41-38): -3

So a propensity to let high scoring teams trounce them, and pretty poor showing overall (only DET, JAX, OAK, SF, IND, NO and CLE) have fewer points  in my league.

I want to believe. I really do.

Would love to be convinced they will turn it around and give some hope on a threadbare waiver wire.

But as those legendary musicians Great White said: Once Bitten, Twice Shy.

Sheesh sorry for forgetting to change the title this week, fellas.

Another note on TEN - 2 home wins 2015-16; Browns a couple weeks ago, JAX last year.

OTOH, last year's @ TEN game Bortles went for 322 with 5 TDs in a 39-42 loss.

Thinking Jets assuming that rookie plays.  He only had success rushing and it'll likely be a mess.  If McCown or someone else starts I'll look at TEN or CAR.

wlwiles said:
Jets were my target but the only other guy in the league that streams like me went ahead and grabbed them Sunday morning for next week.  Hadn't considered SD, I'll have to look at that one
I'm holding the Rams through their bye for their cake matchups over the next 3 weeks, but I just had a look at San Diego's schedule AFTER this week and it's looking mighty nice outside of that Week 15 matchup against the Raiders.  They handled Trevor Siemian just fine two weeks ago and after that they draw TEN, MIA, BYE, @HOU, vs. TB, @CAR, vs. OAK, @CLE.  There isn't a scary opponent in that bunch outside of Oakland.

They've also been putting up points in good matchups and not in bad matchups which is more than I can say for the Jets who've underwhelmed against just about everyone and clearly have an offense not doing them any favors.

ATB said:

I am wondering the same thing.  I have been running with PHI for several weeks now and they have been fantastic every week but 1.  DAL doesnt turn the ball over but we would have said the same thing about MINN last week.  So what do you guys expect from PHI this week?  Would you play them?  They are getting multiple sacks every week...

Any thoughts to looking toward D/ST to pick up now for the likely playoff weeks?

For example, if CAR is available and played CLE, JAX and HOU weeks 14-16, they might be a great pickup and stash.

Users who are viewing this thread